Adding some carbs to your PreWO supplement?

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I train first thing in the morning before being able to get a meal in and I have been doing some Glycofuse with EAAs or PeptoPro Intra but I am toying with adding some carbs to my PreWO as well. The last two days I added 12 grams of glycofuse to my PreWO and skipped in the intra WO carbs. I honestly did not notice any difference. I am going to bump up to 25 grams of carbs to see if I notice any difference.

I would be interested to here some opinions and/or feedback on this topic. Is there a good reason to support the addition of a HBCD preWO? Will the carbs negate any of the benefits of the PreWO? Although I don't see why they would. Thanks and I appreciate the feedback.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Why not sip on them pre/intra workout and cover both boses or split your intra-workout dose you were using to pre/intra?

Feedback will vary from person to person. Some will be fine with 0 carbs pre, some are better with carbs pre, some use them intra, some do not
Personally if you are training fasted some BCAA + Carbs pre-workout would be fine and an intra-workout EAA+Carbs would be fine too. It is just personal preference in the end and how you react to them and your trianing.

There are many people on here who train well without pre-workout carbs and still make great progress. If you find "optimal" performance with more carbs pre-workout then change to that.

The pre-workout (stimmed or non) it will not negate anything.. if anything it will enhance mood,focus,and energy. some people thrive off carbs, some get a bit gassy/bloated and lose energy/focus on carbs and run better with running with just a BCAA pre-workout or a stim+BCAA pre-workout and then intra-workout carbs.

Keep toying to see what is best for you!

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with you that this topic will be quite varied from individual to individual, as most nutrition related topics are. I am still experimenting with what might work best for me and since I only started toying around this week I have not found a sweet spot yet. I was just hoping for some discussion as to what some others might have found worked well for them.

For now, I am increasing carb amounts as well as adding some to both pre and intra to see how that goes.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with you that this topic will be quite varied from individual to individual, as most nutrition related topics are. I am still experimenting with what might work best for me and since I only started toying around this week I have not found a sweet spot yet. I was just hoping for some discussion as to what some others might have found worked well for them.

For now, I am increasing carb amounts as well as adding some to both pre and intra to see how that goes.
well here is the thing if you add more carbs its hard to decipher was is better. Anyone who adds more carbs to anything will get better energy because your giving the body of more of what it wants for energy (Carbohydrates) so to say 50g of carbs is better than 25g is a pretty straight forward statement, especially giving the body what it needs when you are working out and what you are losing during a wokrout.

I think if you gave anyone of the streets a gatorade and compared it to someone who took nothing prior to a workout if would make a difference as far as recovery/energy goes.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I appreciate the discussion. Your point about better recovery adding a Gatorade for someone who isn't doing anything is well noted.

I was not really looking at it from an energy point of view as I agree more carbs would mean better energy. I was thinking maybe a better pump having differently timed carbs and/or maybe better utilization of nutrients/better recovery, particularly with a product like E9.

To be honest I really do not notice any better pump from products like High Volume or Conqu3r, as compared to just stim based preWO. I realize the pump may not have a direct correlation to results but it was just a variable I was looking at as it can be subjectively measured. So this is what started my thinking of preWO carbs being advantageous as compared to intra. I thought something must me missing :)

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Carbs around things like agmatine , nitrates and Citrulline will def help enhance pump

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I appreciate the discussion. Your point about better recovery adding a Gatorade for someone who isn't doing anything is well noted.

I was not really looking at it from an energy point of view as I agree more carbs would mean better energy. I was thinking maybe a better pump having differently timed carbs and/or maybe better utilization of nutrients/better recovery, particularly with a product like E9.

To be honest I really do not notice any better pump from products like High Volume or Conqu3r, as compared to just stim based preWO. I realize the pump may not have a direct correlation to results but it was just a variable I was looking at as it can be subjectively measured. So this is what started my thinking of preWO carbs being advantageous as compared to intra. I thought something must me missing :)
I've been adding 40g dextrose to one scoop of Ergonine and sipping intraworkout and I've had some of my best workouts in a while recently.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I've been adding 40g dextrose to one scoop of Ergonine and sipping intraworkout and I've had some of my best workouts in a while recently.
This. Anytime I'm getting burned out or feeling like a plateau is coming I'll throw in some waxy maize or dextrose in my pre a few times a week and it really seems to rev things up again. Not to mention fully muscles with is always a plus

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Depends on your goals really. A good stim will give you all the energy you need and any carbs pre workout will blunt any fat burning in its tracks

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
That's just not true at all.
Explain? Give your body carbs and it Will burn carbs instead of fat. Yes adding carbs for longer workout times, when really pushing will give the extra energy needed to push the limits but don't expect to be burning body fat as fast as you would without them. Also depends on being fat adapted or not.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Explain? Give your body carbs and it Will burn carbs instead of fat. Yes adding carbs for longer workout times, when really pushing will give the extra energy needed to push the limits but don't expect to be burning body fat as fast as you would without them. Also depends on being fat adapted or not.
If you are a caloric deficit you will burn fat or lose weight.
Assuming you are meeting protein and fat minimums and fill in the rest with what suits your body best while in a deficit and givig your body less kcals than you need.

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
If you are a caloric deficit you will burn fat or lose weight.
Assuming you are meeting protein and fat minimums and fill in the rest with what suits your body best while in a deficit and givig your body less kcals than you need.
I completely agree with you on this

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Carbs can also boost t3, leptin, and hormone levels for those who are dieting which can:
Increase Metabolism
Increase fat burning
increase weightloss and help you get over stumps/stalls when you are dieting.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Carbs can also boost t3, leptin, and hormone levels for those who are dieting which can:
Increase Metabolism
Increase fat burning
Boom! This guy is always on point. Well put.

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Increase Metabolism
Increase fat burning
Are you saying carbs taken in pre workout as in hour or so before hand will give the benefits you listed? I'm always on the search for new information, i was under the impression that carbs should be avoided pre workout to maximize fat loss but if I'm wrong, better to know now then to continue doing what I'm doing.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
i was under the impression that carbs should be avoided pre workout to maximize fat loss but if I'm wrong, better to know now then to continue doing what I'm doing.
Where did you get this impression?
Site your source

If you meet a caloric deficit in a 24 hour period and your goal is fatloss, if you take them in pre-workout, post-workout, later at night it is personal preference.

Some find that carbs later at night = increased seretonin levels (Deeper sleep) and greater fatloss

how you wish to allot those calories is PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Below is some research, links, and articles to show you that carbs at night can :

1) Aid Fatloss
2) Aid Seretonin levels
3) Improve Cognitive Function (Thinking)
4) Aid Deeper Sleep

http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?108-The-Biorhythm-Diet

http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/06/15/why-nutritional-dogma-dies-hard/

http://www.simplyshredded.com/carbs-at-night-fat-loss-killer-or-imaginary-boogeyman.html

Well a new study has demonstrated that subjects eating most of their carbs at dinner actually lost MORE bodyfat than subjects who ate them earlier in the day! Broscience BUSTED!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html/

http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html

Its what WORKS FOR YOU, and provides for optimal training and performance in the gym. Some thrive off carbs for their performance in the gym and i would suggest allocating your carbs to suit your training for maximum performance.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you saying carbs taken in pre workout as in hour or so before hand will give the benefits you listed? I'm always on the search for new information, i was under the impression that carbs should be avoided pre workout to maximize fat loss but if I'm wrong, better to know now then to continue doing what I'm doing.
I'd suggest focusing more on doing what's necessary to keep performance and training intensity up, regardless of current goals. Whenever I train, the goal is to build muscle (or at least maintain it), not burn fat. If dieting, you still have the entire rest of the day to create an environment that is favorable to fat loss (if you choose to).

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'd suggest focusing more on doing what's necessary to keep performance and training intensity up, regardless of current goals. Whenever I train, the goal is to build muscle (or at least maintain it), not burn fat. If dieting, you still have the entire rest of the day to create an environment that is favorable to fat loss (if you choose to).
Great minds :)

provides for optimal training and performance in the gym. Some thrive off carbs for their performance in the gym and i would suggest allocating your carbs to suit your training for maximum performance.

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for the knowledgeable response. This is what i have been doing, no carbs until after training and skipping breakfast. I've been following cbl strength accumulation protocol with success. I appreciate you taking the time and providing articles for me so that i may further my learning.

Shin Sprints

Awards
I am not expert but after advice on here I switched to using HBCD (16g) and PeptoPro (8g) Intra-workout (Breezy and DistilledWater I believe) about a 9 months ago, previously I worked out in a fasted stated, some BCAAs pre-workout.

I am happy with the switch...can I categorically say I have benefited from the switch? No. Categoric statements are difficult to make in situations like training.

Can I say I "think" I have benefited from the switch? Yes. I believe I can train harder and longer and recovery quicker. I am happy with my progress since the switched.

Ultimately it is a personal preference. Trial and error. Either way, you are talking at the margins, it is diet and then training that is the big picture, everything else is tweaking.

So, now my turn for a question. I take E9 pre...potential benefit to slit does pre and intra? Or 1 dose pre, 0.5 dose intra to go with HBCD and Pepto?

Thanks.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Dose e9 pre (betaine, creatine, LCLT) all benefit recovery. will help you with the HBCD sipped pre/intra and dose your pepto intra.
adding any kind of carbs around your workout will increase performance (carbs are energy and glycogen)

conduct a study, do no carbs and add carbs.
90% of the time those who take in carbs aroud their workout will see a benefit in recovery, performance and endurance.