Adding size

Dangus

Dangus

Awards
Will lifting heavy make you bigger? Or will hypertrophy styled workouts like fst-7 get you bigger?

Gothdude1991

Awards
Will lifting heavy make you bigger? Or will hypertrophy styled workouts like fst-7 get you bigger?
Always stick with heavy lifting to add size. Programmes like fst7 are more designed around bringing definition and detail.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Only food will guarantee size. No matter how you train if the food isn't there then neither is the muscle. As far as training styles go you need the strength first. That high rep hypertrophy stuff works better for bigger stronger guys who already have the strength

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think the best ways to add size, especially if one is starting out or more or less in the more novice stages...

-Stick with the big 5-7 compound exercises first and foremost, as they are the ones that a trsainee can use the most weight on to load the largest of the body's structures/muscles and create the best systemic changes both hormonal along with strength, fitness capacity and building all over mass.

- Eat "enough" good food from the main groups.

-Add weight to the bar when you can, (squats, leg presses, deadlifts, rows, benches OHP's_) weekly or bi weekly as possible #2 1/2 to #5 pounds adds up over a few months.

-Consistency and determination are some of the best attributes.

-5x5 style rep and set routines are good layouts that can be easy to follow.
After the main work is out of the way, then some iso work for say arms and abs can be done.

If one gets their main compound exercises up to where they are using say BW, or 1/1/2x, or 2X bw, while eating well, you should certainly be a good bit larger and of course a bit stronger as well. It will be up to the trainee to put in the effort and hard work.

IMO, if one wants to put an inch on their arms, the best way, is to to gain #20+ of muscle all over the body.

Dangus

Dangus

Awards
So I'm not new to working out, I've been doing it for a couple years. Just trying to figure out specifics

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Always stick with heavy lifting to add size. Programmes like fst7 are more designed around bringing definition and detail.
haha wtf... fst-7 is literally a hypertrophy specific program... it was 100% designed for size, and size alone. DEERRRPPPP

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I'm not new to working out, I've been doing it for a couple years. Just trying to figure out specifics
Okay, sorry if I might have misunderstood.
So what have you done/type routines for the couple of years and what kind of gains in mass and strength have you made?

Dangus

Dangus

Awards
Oh no dude don't be sorry, I just wanted to verify. I just want to add some more size

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
1. Eat
2. Best results for me and a lot of others is train heavy (3-5reps) and also in the range of (7-12), keep it varied.

Gothdude1991

Awards
I stand corrected, my bad, always thought programmes like that weren't for size

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh no dude don't be sorry, I just wanted to verify. I just want to add some more size
Alright, well I still stand by my original post on the big compound exercises and as the others to who said, "eating" is a prime source of more mass.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
There is no special routine or diet for size. More food is more lbs and consistent training and pushing harder for reps and weight on the bar each week turns that food into muscle.