Unanswered Adding extra Leucine to Protein shakes? underrated/overrated?

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So I have been experimenting the last two weeks by adding an extra scoop of pure Leucine (5gs) into my WPC... I have noticed much better recovery these past two weeks and also noticed my abs are popping out more (now this could just be timing/coincidence) but I have been reading a bit about Leucine and how it really is the MVP of amino acids...

Do any of you guys supplement Leucine in with your protein shakes ? I do also take BCAA mix once a day normally during work outs too, but I have done that for awhile... so I am really loading up on Leucine.

https://pescience.com/blogs/blog/lesson-3-leucine-in-your-protein-what-is-it-and-why-does-it-matter
https://www.nutritionexpress.com/article+index/protein/showarticle.aspx?id=807

^^ got good info, I do believe some protein companies do short change us on the amino profiles.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If you are getting 3g of leucine from any protein source will be adequate to
Stimulating MPS .

Now you can possibly have a protein powder that is low in leucine or has a low grade amino acid profile which is why you may need to add leucine, which we have seen with companies who spoke protein powder. Assing 5g won’t be necessary given you are meeting protein intake in the 24 hour period of around 1g/lb

The common phrase more is not better applies here there is a law of finishing returbs when it comes to MPS and knowing how much is needed to maximize protein levels while allowing them to reach their refractory stages before being spiked again

Here are just a few pieces that get the point across

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you are getting 3g of leucine from any protein source will be adequate to
Stimulating MPS .

Now you can possibly have a protein powder that is low in leucine or has a low grade amino acid profile which is why you may need to add leucine, which we have seen with companies who spoke protein powder. Assing 5g won’t be necessary given you are meeting protein intake in the 24 hour period of around 1g/lb

The common phrase more is not better applies here there is a law of finishing returbs when it comes to MPS and knowing how much is needed to maximize protein levels while allowing them to reach their refractory stages before being spiked again

Here are just a few pieces that get the point across
Good info thanks, I am gonna continue to use it for another 4 weeks then take a break and see if i notice anything, maybe it is coincidence, maybe it is timing, maybe I have some deficiency haha. OR maybe that placebo effect has kicked in, either way I want to ride this lol

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
For a meal where you do not get adequate leucine, say a chicken or pork meal, and you are not getting 45 to 50g of protein through chicken or pork, adding a gram to your meal could be beneficial.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sure, especially if youre a bigger guy with more muscle.

I took in extra bcaa's like today with two cans of tuna.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I add SNS Leucine to my collagen shake daily! I notice a difference in soreness. Collagen is low on Leucine