Adderall and Rhabdomyolysis

TylerDurden7

Awards
Recently I've been prescribed adderall XR 30mg daily and have been using it to finish getting through college. Ive noticed that sometimes it helps with workouts, and other times I feel oddly weak. I've also been experiencing some very mild pain in my joints, wrist tendons, and rotator cuff area if I workout intensely. Today I came across an article stating that amphetamine use can lead to a condition called rhabdomyolysis, in which vast skeletal muscle protein can be broken down and potentially cause severe pain and kidney damage. Does anyone believe 30mg of XR could possibly lead to this? I also am prescribed 4mg of clonazepam, and 200 mg of doxycyline per day. I inject 200 mg of testosterone cypionate weekly as well. Not sure how I got sucked into the benzo trap but it happened unfortunately

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Recently I've been prescribed adderall XR 30mg daily and have been using it to finish getting through college. Ive noticed that sometimes it helps with workouts, and other times I feel oddly weak. I've also been experiencing some very mild pain in my joints, wrist tendons, and rotator cuff area if I workout intensely. Today I came across an article stating that amphetamine use can lead to a condition called rhabdomyolysis, in which vast skeletal muscle protein can be broken down and potentially cause severe pain and kidney damage. Does anyone believe 30mg of XR could possibly lead to this? I also am prescribed 4mg of clonazepam, and 200 mg of doxycyline per day. I inject 200 mg of testosterone cypionate weekly as well. Not sure how I got sucked into the benzo trap but it happened unfortunately
I don't have much experience with these but my first impression after reading this is "you're an idiot"

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
Talk to your doctor, messing with a lot of things there, and idk if a forum can do much other then peace of mind/ or scare you

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
I'm on 30mg of Adderall and never experienced any adverse effects. You're on waaayyyyy too much **** to pinpoint your symptoms on any one thing.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
I highly doubt its the adderall. You have joint pain when you work out intensely. Look at your workout routine and fat intake.

TylerDurden7

Awards
Thank you tnubs and Mitch for the unprejudiced and intelligent responses. I realize that I take alot of medications, most of them are used due to side effects from other ones. Believe me, if I had the foresight two years ago before TRT, I would have made other attempts to remedy my testosterone issue.

Rustyhands

Rustyhands

Awards
I've been on 30mgs of adderall xr and had the same effects. It would give me energy at times and felt weak at other times. IMO that is how it works and probably an indication it is necessary for you. It really aided me when it came to reading and learning, but the physical aspect was a mind f*** for me. Since I am out of school, I decided to wean off the adderall and live life w/o it. Six months later energy levels stabilized, but concentration suffers. Good luck, only you know the right decision. Another side effect was weight lose in the beginning and weight gain when on it for an extended period. That's amphetamines for you.

mylo

mylo

Awards
drugs and lifting don't go well together, bro. seriously, i used to be somewhat addicted to stims, from the exact same adderalls you're talking about (they're orange and clear with little beige beads inside, right?), and i lost all my gains i got.

get off the drugs if you need anything to get you through college push for a prescription for modafinil, it's lifter-friendly and gives you a productive clear-headed feeling without a crash or much risk of addiction.

if your doc prescribes you adderall i'm more than sure he wouldn't mind prescribing you something less recreational like modafinil.

as for the benzo's, VERY SLOWLY taper off unless you want to have seizures and be in a psychotic murderous mindstate.

TylerDurden7

Awards
Thank you for the response mylo. It's nice to hear from someone who can actually relate to what exactly chemical addiction can be like. That is some very solid advice. I began attempting a taper down on clonazepam by .5 mg. Could already feel some benefits after a few days. Easier to articulate smoothly and enhanced cognition speed. The only downside was feeling a little agressive in situations that didnt warrant it. We shall see what happens. Im going to find out as much about modafinil as possible. Great reply. Thank you

holysnikey

Awards
Run as fast as you can from all these addictive substances dude. I got sucked into the benzos because of anxiety and then I started abusing them and combining them with opiates. I eventually had a seizure because I didn't take my xanax soon enough one day. 4mg of clonazepam is a pretty large dose too but I would try to wean off as soon as you can(in a controlled manner as previously stated). Drug addiction is a B so just be careful especially with those 2 drugs because long term use of benzos and amphetamines is linked with psychotic breaks at long and higher doses.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mylo

mylo

Awards
Thank you for the response mylo. It's nice to hear from someone who can actually relate to what exactly chemical addiction can be like. That is some very solid advice. I began attempting a taper down on clonazepam by .5 mg. Could already feel some benefits after a few days. Easier to articulate smoothly and enhanced cognition speed. The only downside was feeling a little agressive in situations that didnt warrant it. We shall see what happens. Im going to find out as much about modafinil as possible. Great reply. Thank you
any time, bro. .5 mg is not to bad i'm more than sure you'll be able to get off! and as for the anger, i feel you haha, i suffer from mild IED so i tend to blow up at random times, but i'm sure you'll be fine. good luck!

jsals22

Awards
Modafinil or nuvigil def way to go. Far less of crash and seems to work w your body as opposed to amphetamines

mb79

Awards
Rhabdomyolysis results in myoglobinuria, which is characterized by extremely dark urine (take that as your warning sign - it looks like your pissing Pepsi) and detectable though elevated serum CK levels (300ul normal, up to 100,000ul in rhabdo - this is what damages the kidneys). And having suffered through 2 attacks of rhabdo (due to a rare metabolic disorder affecting long-chain fatty acid oxidation), I can tell you it's not "soreness" or "weakness", it's utterly debilitating pain. Both times I was laid up for a long time (6 and 7 days) hooked up to IV, unable to move my legs or back due to the pain - even morphine only took the edge off and reduced to a dull ache.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
switch to cocaine, its a better preworkout than adderall

holysnikey

Awards
I am assuming that is a joke but just in case people think its serious you should not be working out on any powerful stimulant like amphetamines or cocaine. People do all the time but it can put excessive stress on your heart.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
It doesnt occur that quickly. And if you are prescribed the medication and not a recreational user, than your risk of developing the condition later on in life will only be due to abusing the drug. There are many many many athletes and competitors who are attention deficit or manic and are prescribed stimulants to counteract their disorders and they are fine basically. As long as you are also maintaing a well balances diet and and nutrition program you can lower your risk of many disorders and conditions. For now just add a little more healthy fat to your diet and see if that assist in your joint pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

NeighbourMike

NeighbourMike

Awards
drugs and lifting don't go well together, bro. seriously, i used to be somewhat addicted to stims, from the exact same adderalls you're talking about (they're orange and clear with little beige beads inside, right?), and i lost all my gains i got.

get off the drugs if you need anything to get you through college push for a prescription for modafinil, it's lifter-friendly and gives you a productive clear-headed feeling without a crash or much risk of addiction.

if your doc prescribes you adderall i'm more than sure he wouldn't mind prescribing you something less recreational like modafinil.

as for the benzo's, VERY SLOWLY taper off unless you want to have seizures and be in a psychotic murderous mindstate.
Those "beads" your downcasting are Dexedrine Spansules ER. While I agree that his dosage likely is high, I do not know his age to weight it against body weight. Adolescents have a higher intolerence usually.
I take 15 spansules x2 in the morning, + one in the afternoon and I am fittest I have ever been in my entire life. (8% BF, 190 6" 2") It's ludacris to sit here and say he shouldn't if it's prescribed by his medical overseer.

I would not go as far to call you an idiot, but each person has a unique situation with a variety of variables and that you have no detailed knowledge whatsoever of his situation makes you literally ineligible to offer advice, especially when you don't even know the name of the compound. Even if it is a forum.

I guess my point is, you can completely manage whatever life throws at you, being healthy and fit with your workouts in regularity, while taking prescription medication designed to combat concentration issues which help render you productive in your professional life.

It's not worth losing face at your job/career to gain a couple pounds.

I'd focus on your nutrition and getting your meals in line to get the full benefit of a healthy sound mind from that avenue, before you forsake the benefits of medication designed for your situation.

Please, again don't just offer advice unless your a medical doctor or pyschatrist and you have the info to back it up.

P.S I do agree to try to slowly taper off benzos as fast and safe as you can, consult your medical professional and mesh out a plan.

mylo

mylo

Awards
Those "beads" your downcasting are Dexedrine Spansules ER. While I agree that his dosage likely is high, I do not know his age to weight it against body weight. Adolescents have a higher intolerence usually.
I take 15 spansules x2 in the morning, + one in the afternoon and I am fittest I have ever been in my entire life. (8% BF, 190 6" 2") It's ludacris to sit here and say he shouldn't if it's prescribed by his medical overseer.

I would not go as far to call you an idiot, but each person has a unique situation with a variety of variables and that you have no detailed knowledge whatsoever of his situation makes you literally ineligible to offer advice, especially when you don't even know the name of the compound. Even if it is a forum.

I guess my point is, you can completely manage whatever life throws at you, being healthy and fit with your workouts in regularity, while taking prescription medication designed to combat concentration issues which help render you productive in your professional life.

It's not worth losing face at your job/career to gain a couple pounds.

I'd focus on your nutrition and getting your meals in line to get the full benefit of a healthy sound mind from that avenue, before you forsake the benefits of medication designed for your situation.

Please, again don't just offer advice unless your a medical doctor or pyschatrist and you have the info to back it up.

P.S I do agree to try to slowly taper off benzos as fast and safe as you can, consult your medical professional and mesh out a plan.
no i was talking about the 30 mg adderall xr, and i'm just telling him he should ask for modafinil or an alternative, even concerta would do seeing as it's much milder. if the guy is already addicted to clonaz, then adderall should be an immediate no.

not to mention if he's tapering off clonaz, he'll probably end up convulsing due to the amps.

there are many alternatives to amphetamines, they're really just an old med with decreasing medical uses and increasing use on the streets.

i think i can offer advice considering i told him to ask his doctor about modafinil and didn't just tell him to go buy it and i'm speaking from experience on these subjects.

mylo

mylo

Awards
sadly enough i might end up on clonazepam soon. turns out i'm epileptic and depakote isn't helping much with anxiety...