Adderall and Fat Loss

One_UP

Awards
What's going on guys, first time posting on a forum and am encouraged by everyone's support and comments on a given matter/goal.

In any event, as the title mentions, I am on 30mg of adderall XR for a pretty severe case of A.D.D. I currently am 6'2 and weigh 219 lbs, goal is to reach 185 within 3-4 months. I am wanting to take supplements to aid me in the process but am rather sensitive to caffeine. In addition, my folks have a history of thyroid dysfunctions, in particular hypothyroidism. I have a very difficult time losing body fat and is probably due to thyroid conditions. I have done HIIT, low-carb diet, carb-cycling in the past to no avail - also considering the weight-watchers for men program, as some have had good results. One other thing worth noting is that for some very odd reason, I always seem to literally get sick (cold, fever etc) when I finally see some progress. Specifically, I'll usually get sick when I incorporate weight lifting workouts although I take high quality, bio identical vitamin supplements. I usually won't get sick if I am doing a lot of cardio, it's something that I can't seem to put a finger on and it's rather frustrating!

I am pre-med major, so naturally am very disciplined when I set out to do something. It is my hope that with some advice from people here, I can get over the hump and reach my goal. The thing is, I don't even know where to start considering I've taken a number of different approaches to assist me in the process. I've also hired a personal trainer in the past but still couldn't get much progress.

I know that adderall has some pro's and cons but am hopeful perhaps someone here can give some recommendations on how to approach my goal. My nutrition is clean (no high sugar foods, refined carbs, sodas, alcohol etc; mostly eat foods in their natural state). With nutrition, I'll typically only eat foods that either grow from the ground or fall from a tree without any intermediate steps prior to ingestion (refinement). With the above said, how should I go about this?? I appreciate your guy's time and help.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It is hard for me to accurately advise you. I too, have pretty bad ADD, and take 30mg Adderall XR (I am going to speak about going on a higher dose with the doc, but my understanding is 30 is the highest, this is mostly due to diminished effect since I gained alot of weight from when I was first prescribed). Since going back on though, I am rapidly losing weight, and unfortunately, ALOT of it has been muscle. The reason why I initially stopped Adderall is I react very strongly to the weight loss, and even maintaining weight takes a good amount of effort. For this reason, I would focus on muscle preservation, more than fat loss (which should happen either way with a high dose). But, as I said, my experience is a bit "different" than the average user.

jt339

Awards
  • Established
What's going on guys, first time posting on a forum and am encouraged by everyone's support and comments on a given matter/goal.

In any event, as the title mentions, I am on 30mg of adderall XR for a pretty severe case of A.D.D. I currently am 6'2 and weigh 219 lbs, goal is to reach 185 within 3-4 months. I am wanting to take supplements to aid me in the process but am rather sensitive to caffeine. In addition, my folks have a history of thyroid dysfunctions, in particular hypothyroidism. I have a very difficult time losing body fat and is probably due to thyroid conditions. I have done HIIT, low-carb diet, carb-cycling in the past to no avail - also considering the weight-watchers for men program, as some have had good results. One other thing worth noting is that for some very odd reason, I always seem to literally get sick (cold, fever etc) when I finally see some progress. Specifically, I'll usually get sick when I incorporate weight lifting workouts although I take high quality, bio identical vitamin supplements. I usually won't get sick if I am doing a lot of cardio, it's something that I can't seem to put a finger on and it's rather frustrating!

I am pre-med major, so naturally am very disciplined when I set out to do something. It is my hope that with some advice from people here, I can get over the hump and reach my goal. The thing is, I don't even know where to start considering I've taken a number of different approaches to assist me in the process. I've also hired a personal trainer in the past but still couldn't get much progress.

I know that adderall has some pro's and cons but am hopeful perhaps someone here can give some recommendations on how to approach my goal. My nutrition is clean (no high sugar foods, refined carbs, sodas, alcohol etc; mostly eat foods in their natural state). With nutrition, I'll typically only eat foods that either grow from the ground or fall from a tree without any intermediate steps prior to ingestion (refinement). With the above said, how should I go about this?? I appreciate your guy's time and help.
First, I'd get your TSH tested to make sure you're fine. Your thyroid could be ****ed up or you're not dieting as hard as you think you are. I too am prescribed adderall and it can hinder your gains due to its CNS stimulant properties. It causes that burnt out weak feeling powerlifters get if they lift too heavy too often. I also find it weird you're sensitive to caffeine, but you can take adderall. It also eats up glycogen really fast. The brain runs on glucose until times of starvation. When glycogen stores are depleted and you have not reached the starvation threshold, you will start to break down muscle to produce glucose for the brain. Something to consider in your diet. When I take adderall, I add about 75g carbs for that day. Anyway, I'm rambling....

1. Get TSH tested
2. Pick a number of calories, for you I'd say 2500 and keep it there for a month. Weigh in every week at the exact same time like Monday morning. If you average a pound of fat loss a week then you can go from there.
3. Lift hard
4. Get into med school (I'm already there. Prepare for no social life).

jt339

Awards
  • Established
It is hard for me to accurately advise you. I too, have pretty bad ADD, and take 30mg Adderall XR (I am going to speak about going on a higher dose with the doc, but my understanding is 30 is the highest, this is mostly due to diminished effect since I gained alot of weight from when I was first prescribed). Since going back on though, I am rapidly losing weight, and unfortunately, ALOT of it has been muscle. The reason why I initially stopped Adderall is I react very strongly to the weight loss, and even maintaining weight takes a good amount of effort. For this reason, I would focus on muscle preservation, more than fat loss (which should happen either way with a high dose). But, as I said, my experience is a bit "different" than the average user.
I have also found this to be true. Scientifically speaking, amphetamines eat up muscle like a mother ****er.

MDiocre

MDiocre

Awards
I think extra cortisol release is partly the culprit. Id recommend taking a drug holiday on the weekend, whenever possible. I dunno if add causes the direct release of it, but ot certainly fosters an environment for increased released (ie high strung, sympathomimetic, less sleep, chronic fatigue)

Blacho45

Blacho45

Awards

Google Ketogenic diet.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
First I want to say congrats on your goal. I think you can do it regardless of your ADD. We all have disorders and things in the way of our goals. I would focus on keeping your diet as clean as possible. Do you have any food restrictions?

arphaksad

Awards
Noticed you are a pre-med major. Consider studying endocrinology. Good endos are very hard to find. I too am hypothyroid but like jt339 suggested get your tsh tested and add free t3, free t4 and reverse t3. I too am struggling with hormonal issues. Turns out I have low cortisol levels (8, range 4.25-22.7 ug/dL) and my ACTH is below low end range. Like you I follow a clean diet but just can't seem to lose fat. It's extremely hard. Currently shopping for an endo that will listen to me in Philly area. So far, had no luck.