Acid reflux cure

khall1974

khall1974

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is my 4th cycle and this one the oral is killing my acid reflux. I have taken it with food etc but still kicking my butt. Anybody have any tips or suggestions to help?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Glutamine, 10-20gm a day can help, it's also good for nitrogen retention so it's a win win.

Apple cider vinegar cut with water and a little baking soda daily but it tends to make it worse before it gets better. Same goes for probiotics.

Don't drink too much water it can dilute your stomach acid but that will also be counter productive to staying hydrated and keeping the liver healthy so maybe pass on that one.

Outside those things,
Ginger and licorice can help
Limit coffee and carbonated drinks
Avoid foods that contribute to the problem

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Glutamine, 10-20gm a day can help, it's also good for nitrogen retention so it's a win win.

Apple cider vinegar cut with water and a little baking soda daily but it tends to make it worse before it gets better. Same goes for probiotics.

Don't drink too much water it can dilute your stomach acid but that will also be counter productive to staying hydrated and keeping the liver healthy so maybe pass on that one.

Outside those things,
Thank you, I did not know glutamine was good for acid reflux.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thank you, I did not know glutamine was good for acid reflux.
Gets rid of inflammation in the stomach and does a couple other things as well. Not a miracle but it definitely helps and it's dirt cheap. It's recommend to mix 5gm with water at each meal but I take 5 with breakfast and 10 in my intra workout and I find that good enough

khall1974

khall1974

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gets rid of inflammation in the stomach and does a couple other things as well. Not a miracle but it definitely helps and it's dirt cheap. It's recommend to mix 5gm with water at each meal but I take 5 with breakfast and 10 in my intra workout and I find that good enough
Glutamine...Amazon prime right how

khall1974

khall1974

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Glutamine...Amazon prime right how

MadStax

MadStax

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have taken Omeprazole daily for years now. When I first started I added chicken stock to heal the gut and probiotics to compete with any bad bacteria. I haven't had reflux problems in so long I honestly can't remember the last time it flaired up.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I used to take omeprazole but managed to get off it.

Apple cider vinegar or keffir both seem to work for me, keffir I drink daily and if I miss a few days I feel the old reflux issues starting to reoccur 🤷

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Omeprazole and other things in that category of proton pump inhibitors... What a name lol, sounds like something on a scify show, but ya, you don't wanna use any of that **** long term. They have a bunch of shitty side effects that "may" present themselves over time and some can be pretty serious. Idk how much you would have to take or how long but none the less I'd lump them in with stuff like ibuprofen and Tylenol, only use when absolutely necessary

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Things like pepcid and tums are better choices then the ppi's but glutamine can do for your stomach the same thing pepcid can. And it actually can heal ulcers, and it has other uses more benificial to someone looking to build muscle

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'd go with glutamine first, give 15mg a day like a week and see if it helps, if it doesn't then maybe try something else, also don't try to use like 5 different remedies all at once. Pick 1 to start with and maybe eat a little piece of candied ginger or black licorice after meals

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Things like pepcid and tums are better choices then the ppi's but glutamine can do for your stomach the same thing pepcid can. And it actually can heal ulcers, and it has other uses more benificial to someone looking to build muscle
Respectfully, I disagree, from my personal experience. Glutamine several times a day is a huge help, absolutely do this! But it’s no Pepcid Complete. That stuff makes a huge difference.

Use Glutamine several times a day at 5-10g/dose. Then add a Pepcid complete if necessary. If doing that daily and needing more support, hit a tum or two. If you need more than that, double up on the Pepcid complete. Still more, better move to a PPI like Omep.

And foundationally, try to do things that minimize the need! If you won’t stop the oral, stop using tomato based things, hot sauces, sugary things, carbonation, artificial sweeteners, drinking water right before laying down.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah that Pepcid is the real deal, and not super cheap lol…I’ve been going with the generic from rite aid or wherever and getting the same good results for a bit less $ !

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Certain foods can make it worse for me. I''ve noticed very starchy carbs especially, but tomatoes and night shade vegetables too. Also , citrus kills me.

Glutamine definitely helps whenever I take it. Agree with @Smont there. AVC makes it worse for me personally, for others it seems to help tremendously

Activated charcoal is reported to work effectively, as well. Just be careful as it can constipate you

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Make sure to chew your food really well

MadStax

MadStax

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar

Apple cider vinegar or keffir both seem to work for me, keffir I drink daily and if I miss a few days I feel the old reflux issues starting to reoccur 🤷
If I forget the Omeprazole more than one day I lose my appetite and start to feel like garbage. I can't do dairy anymore.

Make sure to chew your food really well
This made the biggest difference for me. Also, removing anything spicy, which is sad af!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Respectfully, I disagree, from my personal experience. Glutamine several times a day is a huge help, absolutely do this! But it’s no Pepcid Complete. That stuff makes a huge difference.

Use Glutamine several times a day at 5-10g/dose. Then add a Pepcid complete if necessary. If doing that daily and needing more support, hit a tum or two. If you need more than that, double up on the Pepcid complete. Still more, better move to a PPI like Omep.

And foundationally, try to do things that minimize the need! If you won’t stop the oral, stop using tomato based things, hot sauces, sugary things, carbonation, artificial sweeteners, drinking water right before laying down.
I can't argue that, pepcid just doesn't do anything special for me, it does work for me, but not a life saver and glutamine does about the same. As for the Suger thing, that's a big one. Outside the foods you mentioned, cutting back on sugar and carbs in general can help a lot

Q

Quest

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Find the cause, heartburn is bad news.
Battled it for years was on Zantac before it was pulled.

I use baking soda. Works fantastic, big metallic buuuurp instant relief.

But Zantac getting pulled did me a favor.
I have obstructive sleep apnea and heartburn was a huge contributer. I got my act together with diet and running and sleep like a baby now.

My heartburn was the results of poor diet and beer. It did get worse on gear as I was over eating too late in the day and with **** foods. I love bananas, but I get instant burn from them. Also, citric acid that is in propel Gatorade is instant burn with a sip. It's in a ton of foods. I'm in so much better overall shape now because of it and do not lean on gear as much so it was a blessing in disguise. Don't play around with heartburn

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Find the cause, heartburn is bad news.
Battled it for years was on Zantac before it was pulled.

I use baking soda. Works fantastic, big metallic buuuurp instant relief.

But Zantac getting pulled did me a favor.
I have obstructive sleep apnea and heartburn was a huge contributer. I got my act together with diet and running and sleep like a baby now.

My heartburn was the results of poor diet and beer. It did get worse on gear as I was over eating too late in the day and with **** foods. I love bananas, but I get instant burn from them. Also, citric acid that is in propel Gatorade is instant burn with a sip. It's in a ton of foods. I'm in so much better overall shape now because of it and do not lean on gear as much so it was a blessing in disguise. Don't play around with heartburn
My impression is OP’s trying to bulldog through a course of orals, so this is temporary and likely unavoidable for him on them.

But this is awesome general advice!!

khall1974

khall1974

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My impression is OP’s trying to bulldog through a course of orals, so this is temporary and likely unavoidable for him on them.

But this is awesome general advice!!
I have dealt with acid reflux for years. Just trying to push through this oral run with some tips and suggestions.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have dealt with acid reflux for years. Just trying to push through this oral run with some tips and suggestions.
i had severe acid reflux, been on omeprazole for several years. it takes care of it well but if i miss a few days it gets bad--just another drug i guess i am stuck with.

J

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
i had severe acid reflux, been on omeprazole for several years. it takes care of it well but if i miss a few days it gets bad--just another drug i guess i am stuck with.
i had the bright idea to stop taking mine a few weeks ago to see if i still needed it. after 4 days i had the WORST WEEKEND EVER!!! omg never again!

B

bignastyisbac

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I've had really bad acid reflux flare ups. Ive found using DGL licorice tabs before meals and bed helped significantly. But I also swear by Terra Origins Healthy Gut. It's cheap and on Amazon I believe. I ran through 2 tubs and didn't have to touch Omeprazole. A couple.of weeks through the first tub I started noticing a difference.

BIGPAPA335

BIGPAPA335

Awards

Just eat 30 to 40 tums a day and sleep sitting up or standing up if you can macgyver a contraption. You're all set 😉

barische

barische

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
@Smont is correct. Applecider vinegar with meals. Keep fluids away from meals to prevent dilution. I only drink kombucha w/ ACV or Ginger tea with meal for digestion have worked wonders for me. also adequate salt (NaCl) intake, needed to produce (HCl) - hopefully we know what that is..

khall1974

khall1974

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No sooner I dropped the oral everything was back to normal. Pure injectables next run...between the acid reflux and just feeling the toxicity of the compound that I am done with that. My body feels a hell of a lot better for it.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
@Smont is correct. Applecider vinegar with meals. Keep fluids away from meals to prevent dilution. I only drink kombucha w/ ACV or Ginger tea with meal for digestion have worked wonders for me. also adequate salt (NaCl) intake, needed to produce (HCl) - hopefully we know what that is..
I definitely think that drinking minimal amounts of fluids around your meals helps.

Also I been trying to get into kombucha, it's not my thing lol, I found 1 that's got lemon and ginger in it and I cut it with a little club soda and so far that's the only way I can drink it.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Interesting old thread. Battling GERD/LPR now. Well, apparently I have been for years and didn't recognize the symptoms. Anyone get side effects from Pepcid? Anything to be concerned about? Really trying to stay off PPIs.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Interesting old thread. Battling GERD/LPR now. Well, apparently I have been for years and didn't recognize the symptoms. Anyone get side effects from Pepcid? Anything to be concerned about? Really trying to stay off PPIs.
I’d take to your doctor if you plan to stay on it, but I have used famotidine at 10-20mg/day for several months on end while blasting with no issue, and heard of people taking it basically indefinitely for real diagnosed GERD. But if you are looking at longterm, let your doctor know (and that you want to avoid PPIs) so they can advise of anything to monitor. You may also be able to get a script through them for a cheaper copay than otc Pepcid (I get foreign RX now because it’s like $4/box and I only need on blasts).

If you aren’t taking glutamine at 10-15g, 2-3x a day on empty stomach/between meals, that can be a great way to improve stomach health/reduce acid and also good for immune health as well.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’d take to your doctor if you plan to stay on it, but I have used famotidine at 10-20mg/day for several months on end while blasting with no issue, and heard of people taking it basically indefinitely for real diagnosed GERD. But if you are looking at longterm, let your doctor know (and that you want to avoid PPIs) so they can advise of anything to monitor. You may also be able to get a script through them for a cheaper copay than otc Pepcid (I get foreign RX now because it’s like $4/box and I only need on blasts).

If you aren’t taking glutamine at 10-15g, 2-3x a day on empty stomach/between meals, that can be a great way to improve stomach health/reduce acid and also good for immune health as well.
I'm not sure I plan to stay on it long term, as I haven't even tried it yet. I've just had the worst 5 months of my life (from a variety of causes), which finished in the worst week of my life last week which apparently was only LPR causing a feeling like my throat is closing and a sharp object in the back of my throat. Now that I know what I'm dealing with and has improved the last few days already, I'm really debating even trying the pepcid or anything except diet and lifestyle changes...and finally treating this b12 deficiency more aggressively.

I'd like to know why I have LPR before I start just taking a bunch of stuff too. I mean, so I've had LPR guess for years...another week or 2 waiting to use Pepcid probably won't give me esophageal cancer while I wait to see the GI doctor in a few weeks...right?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm not sure I plan to stay on it long term, as I haven't even tried it yet. I've just had the worst 5 months of my life (from a variety of causes), which finished in the worst week of my life last week which apparently was only LPR causing a feeling like my throat is closing and a sharp object in the back of my throat. Now that I know what I'm dealing with and has improved the last few days already, I'm really debating even trying the pepcid or anything except diet and lifestyle changes...and finally treating this b12 deficiency more aggressively.

I'd like to know why I have LPR before I start just taking a bunch of stuff too. I mean, so I've had LPR guess for years...another week or 2 waiting to use Pepcid probably won't give me esophageal cancer while I wait to see the GI doctor in a few weeks...right?
Seriously, add in Glutamine a couple times a day. It’s good for you & affordable and will really help some.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
+1 for Hyde’s glutamine recommendation.
I went with a big tub of Primaforce.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Did the omeprazole actually stop the reflux?

I've been on pantoprazole for 2 weeks now and I still feel water and sometimes liquified food come back up but it doesn't cause any problems because my stomach acid is gone I guess. But, what happens if I reflux something harsh like a diet soda, or spicy Buffalo wings? Or even citrulline malate? Does it matter if the acid is gone?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Outside those things,
Probiotics make it worse first before better? Is that why Greek yogurt gives me heart burn? I keep trying it every other week, maybe not often enough to heal?

MadStax

MadStax

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've changed up my GERD treatment and would call myself 99% cured. I very rarely get any kind of reflux. In fact, just yesterday I ate a 2.5 lbs meal with just over 100g protein and 200g carbs, only 12g fat and felt fine.

I currently take 2x of the 20mg Esomeprazole Magnesium each morning, as well as one Zenwise Digestive Enzymes Plus pill before each of my four meals per day. I make my own yogurt at home (takes less than 10 minutes to make a gallon in the crock pot) and I generally eat a pint of that throughout each day. I also take four Senna Plus Stool Softener Tablets each day, two morning and two at night. I can basically eat whatever I want now and I have zero problems at either end. It does take a few weeks for your system to adjust, but after that you're golden!

The stool softener sounds weird, but I think part of the reason I had reflux is that my guts were constantly jammed full of food. Just my theory, but it seems to help and they are super cheap.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've changed up my GERD treatment and would call myself 99% cured. I very rarely get any kind of reflux. In fact, just yesterday I ate a 2.5 lbs meal with just over 100g protein and 200g carbs, only 12g fat and felt fine.

I currently take 2x of the 20mg Esomeprazole Magnesium each morning, as well as one Zenwise Digestive Enzymes Plus pill before each of my four meals per day. I make my own yogurt at home (takes less than 10 minutes to make a gallon in the crock pot) and I generally eat a pint of that throughout each day. I also take four Senna Plus Stool Softener Tablets each day, two morning and two at night. I can basically eat whatever I want now and I have zero problems at either end. It does take a few weeks for your system to adjust, but after that you're golden!

The stool softener sounds weird, but I think part of the reason I had reflux is that my guts were constantly jammed full of food. Just my theory, but it seems to help and they are super cheap.
Any concern of early death due to long term PPI use?
Heartburn drugs tied to increased risk of early death, study says

[/URL]

MadStax

MadStax

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Nah, I've honestly put so much crap in my body over the years, this is the least of my worries. I'm definitely more careful these days, but being able to eat is kind of cool.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Probiotics make it worse first before better? Is that why Greek yogurt gives me heart burn? I keep trying it every other week, maybe not often enough to heal?
Could be why. Try eating very small amounts for about a week and slowly adding more

MadStax

MadStax

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Could be why. Try eating very small amounts for about a week and slowly adding more
My guess would be the fat content, or one of the additives. Try making your own yogurt with skim or 1% milk. Adding powdered skim milk can make it thicker and closer to what a Greek yogurt would typically be.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My guess would be the fat content, or one of the additives. Try making your own yogurt with skim or 1% milk. Adding powdered skim milk can make it thicker and closer to what a Greek yogurt would typically be.
It's fat free.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Seriously, add in Glutamine a couple times a day. It’s good for you & affordable and will really help some.
Finally buying this. Gut issues are driving me mad.