Accountability Log to Break Into the 1000LB Club!

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
I recently logged a product on here and had a great experience. I like the idea of logging my workouts and training as it keeps me accountable and helps me keep up with my workouts. I train almost every day, so it's actually hard for me to keep track sometimes if I don't write it down. I basically remember what I did the past day or two and go day by day. Not that organized...

But I want a real goal, and I want to enter the 1000-pound club naturally before I get older and it becomes more challenging to do so without PEDs (turning 34 this year). I know it's not the biggest feat in the world of strength, but I find it very impressive and I know it puts me well above the average. I believe I'm around 800 already. Although I don't know for sure, that's just going by rep calculators to determine a 1rm. I will test my max soon and log it so I have an accurate number to go by.

I train at home. I am buying more plates each month as I just got an Olympic bar and moving from standard plates to 2-inch. Shyts expensive. So for now, just going to train for strength and size until I get enough plates to truly test my numbers. I don't know how accurate the 1rm calculators are, I don't trust them.

I have no deadline for this goal, but I want to start this log with that in mind, as I will continue this log until I get there. I will probably review supplements throughout the log.

Right now I am just on creatine, but will likely buy M-Test and more AlphaDefy soon. Definitely M-Test though, I want to start taking this year-round as I don't want to use prohormones or any other PEDs again for a long time.

This log is for me to stay accountable. I hope others will enjoy it or at least get some motivation from it, and I do welcome feedback and criticism from those who know more about training.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Goals r great and logs keep you honest w yourself. 47 is right around the corner for me and I wish I could get back strength wise to where I was in 2004
5’6” 185lbs 29” waist. Arms, neck, and calves all 17”. I did the Max-OT training regiment.
Bench 315 x 4
Dead 375 x 4
Squats 335 x 4

Attain that **** Brother!!!…. Don’t be me chasing the dragon!!!

ALL GAS NO BRAKE!!!!! Go for it!!!!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In to follow!

You don’t want to trust 1RM calculators much unless you have been training in strength training rep ranges for a while, because it’s not enough to just have the muscle to support X 1RM - you also have to build the neurological skill of handling a very heavy weight for you. It takes time, building your skill in a lift and also the cojones to push yourself to the limit. But it will come with training!

If you want to get better at something, practice that thing as often as you can recover well from. Most people can bench a couple times per week, many can squat a couple times, and deadlift once. If you bench or squat a second time per week, usually the second time will be easier or a lighter variation like incline bench and frontsquat.

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Whats training look like for this
In the process of picking a plan. Like I said though, still getting the olympic plates and converting from standard. So for the next month or so will likely be sticking with my hypertrophy training.

Do you have any recommendations? @PolishHamm3r77 mentioned Max-OT, which looks legit but I do like to train at least 5x a week. However, if that's not going to be ideal I can do heavy weight training 3-4x a week and maybe some heavy bag work and cardio on other days.

I've even considered running SS again (ran this for a year when I first started lifting)...

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Goals r great and logs keep you honest w yourself. 47 is right around the corner for me and I wish I could get back strength wise to where I was in 2004
5’6” 185lbs 29” waist. Arms, neck, and calves all 17”. I did the Max-OT training regiment.
Bench 315 x 4
Dead 375 x 4
Squats 335 x 4

Attain that **** Brother!!!…. Don’t be me chasing the dragon!!!

ALL GAS NO BRAKE!!!!! Go for it!!!!!
Thanks man! Those measurements and lifts are incredibly impressive, especially at that height!!

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
In the process of picking a plan. Like I said though, still getting the olympic plates and converting from standard. So for the next month or so will likely be sticking with my hypertrophy training.

Do you have any recommendations? @PolishHamm3r77 mentioned Max-OT, which looks legit but I do like to train at least 5x a week. However, if that's not going to be ideal I can do heavy weight training 3-4x a week and maybe some heavy bag work and cardio on other days.

I've even considered running SS again (ran this for a year when I first started lifting)...
If that is the training style you want to peruse, go to
It has 18 diff workouts most are 5 days/week
I also did 2 scoops of whey, 5mg creatine, and a Gatorade all mixed pre and post workout. The mythical “anabolic nutrient timing factor”. Debunked I believe but at the time the science was believable

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I also did 2 scoops of whey, 5mg creatine, and a Gatorade all mixed pre and post workout. The mythical “anabolic nutrient timing factor”. Debunked I believe but at the time the science was believable
Remeber, lots of things that get "debunked" we know work. Well, there may not be some magic secret formula. But the right type of nutrition around the workouts is important, And more important if that person in question is using insulin, gh and gear

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Thanks for the link, I like what I see so far. Def. gonna run with one of these plans!

Remeber, lots of things that get "debunked" we know work. Well, there may not be some magic secret formula. But the right type of nutrition around the workouts is important, And more important if that person in question is using insulin, gh and gear
I agree 100% - I still rush to get my post-workout protein cause I feel like it makes a difference. The mind is a powerful thing and I think just believing it works will make it work to some extent haha.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If i train fasted with just aminos and carbs intra i rush in that Post workout meal or shake soon as i can. If I train Later in the day and I have several meals in me and some intra workout nutrition then i usually just Eat my next meal whenever i'm hungry.

If I was using certain super supplements I might do it differently though 😁

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Actually to be fair, I've been lazy post workout and just drinking a coffee on my ride to work And Is grab a random gas station protein shake if im not gonna Be able to eat anytime soon

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Following along. I also am way more accountable when I log and was thinking of starting one up here as well again. I set a few goals for myself and one of them was to get to get back to the 1000lb club before I turn 40 in 8 months. Currently about 100lbs away approximately. Actually, my goal was to deadlift 500lbs before 40 but not sure if that’s manageable or smart. Currently at 405 deadlift as of yesterday. My overall max from several years ago is 465. Definitely think I can get to 450 but I don’t recover like I used to even from a couple years ago. That would put me at 275 for both squat and bench which is manageable and I may be there right now, I just haven’t pushed either like deadlift. Been doing 5/3/1 but may need to do something more intense for DL.

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Following along. I also am way more accountable when I log and was thinking of starting one up here as well again. I set a few goals for myself and one of them was to get to get back to the 1000lb club before I turn 40 in 8 months. Currently about 100lbs away approximately. Actually, my goal was to deadlift 500lbs before 40 but not sure if that’s manageable or smart. Currently at 405 deadlift as of yesterday. My overall max from several years ago is 465. Definitely think I can get to 450 but I don’t recover like I used to even from a couple years ago. That would put me at 275 for both squat and bench which is manageable and I may be there right now, I just haven’t pushed either like deadlift. Been doing 5/3/1 but may need to do something more intense for DL.
Impressive! Sounds like you can get back to it in no time! I hope to be that strong when I'm your age, and I'm not far too far away. That's why I'm pushing hard now to get as strong as possible before I have to worry about any kind of decline or a slow-down in recovery or more risk of injuries, etc. If you get a log going I'll definitely follow it!

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
I'm gonna run with this Max-OT plan: https://ast-ss.com/max-ot/more-max-ot-workouts/3/

I printed it out for now and made a few modifications, such as front squats instead of leg presses. Obviously, some movements I can't do from the home gym (yet) so will have to find alternatives.

I'm just wondering if I actually need to take off an entire week around the 8-10-week mark or what? I personally might just do a very "light" weak with 3 days instead of 5. I just don't like missing an entire week because it can throw me off and getting back into lifting isn't always easy...

Had an interesting workout yesterday, worked out everything that wasn't sore because I'm gonna take 2 days off and start a new program.
  • Bench Press: 3x10
  • Romanian Deadlifts: 3x6-8
  • Single Arm Banded Chest Fly: 3x15
  • Shrugs: 3x10
Took about an hour. Went inside, drank 2 cups of milk, ate some leftover chicken, and worked on the computer for about an hour. Then went outside and did yard work for about 2 hours. Push lawnmower in my yard was brutal the ground as soft in a lot of places and the mower didn't wanna move lol so yeah my legs are feelin' it today!!

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am currently using the Renaissance Periodization App and doing a “deload” week instead of taking a week off. I think I like it better. The week off felt like a lost week.

Nice to see you have a game plan. I also am a garage gym guy. Power rack w pulley attachment and dumbbells You can hit all you need w simple weights.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The only time you should take a week off, is right before you test 1RMs, like for a mock or real meet day.

Otherwise, if just for general training fatigue reduction, doing a deload where you trim off about 1/3 of the volume and 20-30% of the weight used usually does the trick to freshen you up. This keeps you in the habit of going, keeps your body dialed in on technique, but instead of say 3 tough sets of squats at 200lbs you just do a couple easy sets with 135 and get a pump on your accessories (do NOT train them hard, they should be easier too).

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The key is to actually pull back. I feel like the large majority of guys go way too hard on their deload. I definately do, espically if ive already been doing fairly low volume
Yeah if you pull back on your main lift but then end up doing a bunch of extra hypertrophy work, you now have the exact same total stress to recover from. So you lose a week of strength training AND fail to meaningfully shed any fatigue.

We have all done this. This is stupid lol. Keep your eyes on the prize - to potentiate the next phase of training for actual progress.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am at the bidding of Al Gorithm. I felt I was doing way too little on deload week. But my weights have gone up week after week using each Mesocycle twice b4 changing. Currently on second meso round 2. So, for now, still deloading as the A.I. says. I mean Pepti-Plex was developed via A.I. and that’s working out great for me!!!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Subbed to follow along. I'm not anywhere near the 1000# club, but am chasing some strength goals. So we have similar interests! Looking forward to seeing what program you go with.

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
First day of MAX-OT / Shoulders/Forearms

Military Press: 3 sets 155x4, 155x4, 155x6
Replaced DB Press (need heavier dumbbells) with Seated Barbell Presses: 2 sets 135lbx4, 135x6
Side lateral raises: 2 sets 30x6, 30x6
Seated Forearm curls - 75x6, 75x6
Reverse grip forearm curls 75x6, 75x6

Felt kind of weak, but my right shoulder is sore and I'll progress from here. The warmup to find my forearm curl weight was a bit odd and got a huge pump in the process lol I don't ever do these!!!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Is your shoulder muscles sore or pain sore. Be careful pressing heavy with pain. That's a big part of how I jacked my shoulders up. Make sure your nice and warmed up

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
;
Is your shoulder muscles sore or pain sore. Be careful pressing heavy with pain. That's a big part of how I jacked my shoulders up. Make sure your nice and warmed up
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I believe it's just muscle sore but I can honestly say I took it easier than I would've if it weren't sore at all. I did warm up with a lot of light sets to get the blood flowing. Gonna pay close attention and modify my routine if I need to as I do not want to have shoulder problems.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
;

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I believe it's just muscle sore but I can honestly say I took it easier than I would've if it weren't sore at all. I did warm up with a lot of light sets to get the blood flowing. Gonna pay close attention and modify my routine if I need to as I do not want to have shoulder problems.
Im kinda a worry wort with shoulders and Stuff that involves the lower back, but mainly because that's where I always get hurt, those two places so, don't be scared off by what I say. If something feels good go for it, I just always do something stupid when i'm trying to get strong and hurt myself lol

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Im kinda a worry wort with shoulders and Stuff that involves the lower back, but mainly because that's where I always get hurt, those two places so, don't be scared off by what I say. If something feels good go for it, I just always do something stupid when i'm trying to get strong and hurt myself lol
It's fair to worry about those two areas. I mean, if something goes wrong with shoulders it's going to affect other things. I love to bench press, and that would ruin my benching. I don't use machines - all barbell and stacked bands for certain movements. So it would be hard to complete isolate chest for me without worrying bout shoulders. And lower back obviously would put a stop to a lot of movements as well lol. I view what you said as a wise tip.

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Had a strong back workout today!!

Single-Arm T-bar Rows 3 sets
Chinups 2 sets
Barbell Rows 3 sets
Barbell Pullovers 2 sets - this one is new to me I replaced an exercise with these. My notes aren't on me right now so can't remember what it was I replaced but this movement felt good after I warmed up and got used to it. I watched a John Meadows vid on how to perform it lol that guy was awesome for advice!
Barbell shrugs - 3 sets

Was dripping in sweat and pretty worn-out by the end. I swear my stamina went down after getting off AlphaDefy lol I need to re-up.

Hit the heavy bag for a round and was about dead after that.

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Leg day... Haven't hit calves too, and I never work them directly. I always kind of believed they would stay small no matter what. I used to work them when I was younger but it didn't make much of a difference. They are on the program and I'm sticking with it..

This max-ot routine is brutal my traps and back are sore as hell lol. I guess I'm not used to working in the 4-6 rep range.

So today was standing calf raises, seated calf raises, squats, lunges, stiff leg deads, and since I can't do hack squats i performed front squats. but the front squat weight was too low because I hate the way you have to grip the bar for front squats, even when arms crossed, or holding normally, it just feels rough I do not like it.

Going to come up with another replacement. This first week is probably just going to be about figuring out all the movements and weights required for 4-6 reps.

Tomorrow is abs and chest. I never work abs directly either so this will be interesting!

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Keep putting that work in. I am also a garage lifter w power rack, str8 bar, curl bar, high/low pulley and db’s. Maybe a walking lunge of Bulgarian split squats. Or try doing squats, RDL’s, and calf, just add more sets to supplement the movement you don’t have the equipment to perform

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Keep putting that work in. I am also a garage lifter w power rack, str8 bar, curl bar, high/low pulley and db’s. Maybe a walking lunge of Bulgarian split squats. Or try doing squats, RDL’s, and calf, just add more sets to supplement the movement you don’t have the equipment to perform
That was my thought, you can always just do an extra set on a couple accessories to help make up.

I have seen Greg Panora do a ‘hacksquat’ with lots of bands looped around his neck and then under each foot, meanwhile pressing a foam roller against the wall with his back - then he can squat against the band tension driving back against the roller.

But that’s probably not going to be useful if trying to replicate a heavy 4-6 rep hack. Although I think that’s a bit silly range for a hack anyway, unless it’s the only squat/heavy lift variation.

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Thanks for the advice guys! Yeah I think I will just add more sets of squats tbh. The bands method is cool but I don't see any realistic way to keep progressing if strength is the goal here.

Had a solid chest/abs day, but completely skipped flat DB (need to buy a few sets of heavy dbs) - and just added more sets of incline barbell bench. 195lb 5 sets total. And then 215 decline for 2 sets. Did weighted curls, and weighted leg raises, 7 total sets of ab work.

So tomorrow is just bicep/tricep - and then 2 days off. I will say that so far in my first week of this program I am satisfied with the soreness. I was worried about hitting each muscle group twice, but for the most part, I do hit everything twice, at least indirectly. I have also directly worked muscles that I normally avoid - abs and calves. Once I get used to this program I think it will do me good. Probably going to run for 12 weeks and then evaluate. But as long as I make progress I will continue.

I get a big payment from one of my clients at the end of the month, I will use it to pay my rent and then buy more olympic plates. I want to get 425lb total of plates, about half way there lol it's a process. And then I will focus on buying dumbbells, maybe an ez curl bar, and some other things. I also want to get a pulley system set up... so much to do!!

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Rome wasn’t built in a day. I have been acquiring stuff for a few yrs. My last addition was the high/low pulley for my Titan T2 power rack. And my wife and daughter each bought me a rubber horse stall mat from tractor supply. It’s a process. You’ll get there

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Week 2 of max-ot routine is going great so far. I will say, I was sore the entire 2 days off and I was shocked, as I usually do a lot more volume throughout the week. I guess my body was not used to the heavier sets. I love the 4-6 rep range, and when I started lifting I had great results with 5x5 so I guess it makes sense...

Back/Traps
For each lift I warm up with higher reps, but not enough to cause fatigue. This helped me get a nice pump even with the lower reps on working sets lol. It's probably a mental thing but I love the pump and the warmup sets really helped.

Single Arm T Bar (Meadows) Rows 3 sets.. I use 4x25lb plates here for full ROM and I feel like this is the best back exercise for me atm. Not sure why I haven't been doing these all these years!!

Barbell Rows 5 sets 185lb

Chinups 2 sets to failure

Shrugs: 3 sets 225lb - I feel like I could go heavier, but not used to doing bb shrugs. I used to do a lot of behind-the-back shrugs with lighter weight and upright rows for traps.

For anyone reading this - try Meadows rows if you haven't yet, they feel amazing!!! Use smaller plates to get more ROM. I feel like it takes the biceps out more and allows the back to do more work.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I don't know how accurate the 1rm calculators are, I don't trust them.
man they're so hit and miss like Hyde pointed out. I have found my 1rm calcs to be pretty spot on for bench, close on deads, and a million miles away from my squat numbers. I was one who could 10 rep very close to his 1rm for squats because:

you also have to build the neurological skill of handling a very heavy weight for you.
amen. ever since you had suggested me slingshotting very heavy bench loads, it's helped in leaps and bounds. I think thats why I like rack pulls so much as well.

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
man they're so hit and miss like Hyde pointed out. I have found my 1rm calcs to be pretty spot on for bench, close on deads, and a million miles away from my squat numbers. I was one who could 10 rep very close to his 1rm for squats because:
3-5 rm calculations are closeish in my experience but the more reps I can do, definitely doesn’t mean the heavier I can lift. I like to use them as PR records though with my 5/3/1 calculations just to show me that I am improving or working hard enough.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
3-5 rm calculations are closeish in my experience but the more reps I can do, definitely doesn’t mean the heavier I can lift. I like to use them as PR records though with my 5/3/1 calculations just to show me that I am improving or working hard enough.
Probably is closer with that type of calculation, that's my experience as well.
I had a goal of a 10rep x 225lb bench that I chased for a while. Once I did it, I didn't have the 300lb bench yet. Overload training with the slingshot like Hyde mentioned sealed the deal, but coincidentally, once I did knock out the 300 raw, the 225 hit new PRs at 11/12 rep amraps. so both probably help each other and both have diminishing returns for me.

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Probably is closer with that type of calculation, that's my experience as well.
I had a goal of a 10rep x 225lb bench that I chased for a while. Once I did it, I didn't have the 300lb bench yet. Overload training with the slingshot like Hyde mentioned sealed the deal, but coincidentally, once I did knock out the 300 raw, the 225 hit new PRs at 11/12 rep amraps. so both probably help each other and both have diminishing returns for me.
what’s this slingshot?

my highest ever was 225x20 when I was like 32, but I could barely benched 320. I did 220x8 last week but the week before I had a hard time with 265x1. It’s a slow build that’s for sure.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
what’s this slingshot?

I have the mark bell version. It's a fun toy to train overloading and eek out more reps lighter. for other guys it also is a bit of a shoulder/elbow saver. I even started my 14 year old son on it despite his strength not really being enough to justify it but I do believe that it reinforced good form cause he couldn't flare his elbows when in the SS so when he's raw, his form looks actually not bad for a 14yr old video game junkie.

my highest ever was 225x20 when I was like 32, but I could barely benched 320. I did 220x8 last week but the week before I had a hard time with 265x1. It’s a slow build that’s for sure.
that's amazing. legit full rom reps? 225 x 20 is crazy, combine quality.

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I have the mark bell version. It's a fun toy to train overloading and eek out more reps lighter. for other guys it also is a bit of a shoulder/elbow saver. I even started my 14 year old son on it despite his strength not really being enough to justify it but I do believe that it reinforced good form cause he couldn't flare his elbows when in the SS so when he's raw, his form looks actually not bad for a 14yr old video game junkie.

that's amazing. legit full rom reps? 225 x 20 is crazy, combine quality.
Thanks for the link. I may have to get one for fun!

Full range with some having a very small bounce or just barely touching chest. I was pretty excited but it’s been downhill since haha