About to start TRT. Do I need hCG?

S

SelfMedic

Awards
I'm going with am online clinic. They are telling me that hCG and an AI are standard as most of their clients are on 200 mg weekly.

Is the advice on the board for lower dose and nothing on top of test if at all possible?

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You absolutely do not need HCG and in most cases, causes more issues than anything. I would start with 100mg test and adjust from there. Add nothing in the beginning so you can assess your improvement with test alone.

S

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Kisaj gave the best advice man. 200 mgs is way to high to start with. Unless you're wanting to have kids, I would stay as far away from HCG as possible.

J

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So I am curious, why are you recommending he stay away from low dose HCG ongoing if he will be on TRT long term?

S

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There's no need for HCG on TRT. The only reason would be if someone is wanting to have kids. Other than that the sides out weigh the benefits.

J

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think the benefit is keeping the balls up to size. I understand not needing to maintain sperm count etc but the aesthetics make it worth it to me.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think the benefit is keeping the balls up to size. I understand not needing to maintain sperm count etc but the aesthetics make it worth it to me.
Lol! No one or woman is looking at your testicle size. HCG messes with E2 to the point it makes it hard to find the correct testosterone dose for you. As stated above, HCG is to maintain fertility.

J

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Lol! No one or woman is looking at your testicle size. HCG messes with E2 to the point it makes it hard to find the correct testosterone dose for you. As stated above, HCG is to maintain fertility.
hey man I'm all about learning something new, do you have any links to studies that indicate this? My doctor has always subscribe to the theory of small injections of hCG several times a week

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's very well documented. HCG is generally used to address testicular atrophy and can help with increasing DHEAs levels, but it does and will increase e2 levels in the process. This is usually a very quick process and tends to cause problems with chasing the correction through AI dosage and tweaking TRT protocol. Everyone is different with response, but the effects can be experienced as low as 250iu. It used to be just part of a standard protocol, generally through a clinic, but it is not used as much anymore because it is being better understood regarding sides and necessity.

I think the only time HCG should be used is for fertility reasons and if you plan to eventually come off of TRT.

Power-Lift

Power-Lift

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im (newly) on Test-Cyp (250) and hCG (250) a week (age 50 soon). I feel like a million bucks...

S

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im (newly) on Test-Cyp (250) and hCG (250) a week (age 50 soon). I feel like a million bucks...
How long have you been on that protocol? Are you getting regular labs done? What is your E2 level? What is your RBC and hematocrit level? When injecting that much test plus HCG your bound to have some issues before long.

Dr.C

Dr.C

Awards
HCG is not necessary but a lot of guys enjoy it on HRT because it can augment mood and libido. It will preserve testicular volume and keep the LH pathway going as well. If the dose is low and frequent, estrogen issues are normally not a concern. 500 IU a week in divided doses is a good starting point.

200mg per week is not a smart starting dose, you want to start low and go slow with HRT. 100mg in bi-weekly injections is a good starting point and depending on how you feel and your labs adjustments in dose can be made. AI is not necessary unless you are symptomatic and have elevated numbers. I personally think the less medications you have to work with, the better, but I would absolutely advocate for HCG.

J

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HCG is not necessary but a lot of guys enjoy it on HRT because it can augment mood and libido. It will preserve testicular volume and keep the LH pathway going as well. If the dose is low and frequent, estrogen issues are normally not a concern. 500 IU a week in divided doses is a good starting point.

200mg per week is not a smart starting dose, you want to start low and go slow with HRT. 100mg in bi-weekly injections is a good starting point and depending on how you feel and your labs adjustments in dose can be made. AI is not necessary unless you are symptomatic and have elevated numbers. I personally think the less medications you have to work with, the better, but I would absolutely advocate for HCG.
Hey Dr. C,
I just started trt last week, my doctors prescribed injectable D3 as my blood results were around 25. I have high shbg as well, I opted not to start the HcG yet as I wanted to see what the test and d3 do first. Will a supplement like Viron or LJ100 help lower shbg? I'm also not taking an ai yet as my estrogen was 18 on the sensitive test.

Dr.C

Dr.C

Awards
I was using Nettle at 800mg to lower SHBG and for seasonal allergy relief and it worked well for me . If your SHBG can't come down , Danazol is an option but I would shoot for a natural way first. It's easier to treat high SHBG compared to lower IMO.