Ab Work

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I hate ab work mostly because I think it's redundant and usually a waste of time unless you have a severe deficiency.

That said, I have brought ab work back in when I felt my core was a weak point after taking a break from squats.

now I find myself curious about throwing it in again. I dont even know why.

So i'm curious what you guys do? do you treat abs as a strength move and stick to only weighted ab work, or are you the 10,000 crunches kinda person? if I want a six pack I drop BF, pretty simple. but for some reason heavy ab work is calling my name again lately.

SSJ4GOD

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I do the weighted crunch machine (the one that moves your legs too), leg raises (sometimes with ankle weights), and then crunches for burn out.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I sit up to get off the couch a couple times a day, I sit up at the table while I'm eating, I sit up when I'm driving my car.

I do lots of sit ups

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Lol, I always avoided abs cus I hate them, my core strength is good from heavy lifting but when I do direct abs I get spasms on sets over like 10 where my ab muscles legit spasm and hurt like a mofo .

So I been also trying more direct abs after my bag work a few times a week.

Hanging leg raises 3x12
Planks for time and laying leg raises.
Maybe medicine ball crunches on a decline machine

I need to do more tho. At least more reps

SSJ4GOD

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Lol, I always avoided abs cus I hate them, my core strength is good from heavy lifting but when I do direct abs I get spasms on sets over like 10 where my ab muscles legit spasm and hurt like a mofo .

So I been also trying more direct abs after my bag work a few times a week.

Hanging leg raises 3x12
Planks for time and laying leg raises.
Maybe medicine ball crunches on a decline machine

I need to do more tho. At least more reps
I used to get the ab spasms… it’s seriously one of the worst pains.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ab work is a bit of a misnomer imo.

Ive fluctuated over the spectrum of opinions through the years, but I’ve settled on that most people should be doing direct “core” work irregardless of their goals.

Not just “ab” like the rectus abdominis, but things for the sides, the low back, stabilizers, etc. Fwiw I think when most people think they are doing ab work they are just doing extra hip flexor work (which can have its place but the specific exercises, reps, and goals should be appropriate).

Various carries, various pallofs, various planks, forms of hip and back extensions, anti and actual rotational work all have their place depending on the goals and needs of an individual.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am not very lean, but I have pretty good abs for a fat guy and I attribute it to weighted ab work, I use a Life Fitness Ab Machine every other, and have for years. I start a 80lbs 25reps, 65 25reps, 50 25reps, & 40 25reps. about once a week I will do some leg raises for my lower abs 100reps. I hope this helps.

1 AA07022022.jpg
Life Fitness.JPG

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I am not very lean, but I have pretty good abs for a fat guy and I attribute it to weighted ab work, I use a Life Fitness Ab Machine every other, and have for years. I start a 80lbs 25reps, 65 25reps, 50 25reps, & 40 25reps. about once a week I will do some leg raises for my lower abs 100reps. I hope this helps.

View attachment 224991View attachment 224992
You definitely not a fat guy rocket lol. I think it's more of a structural thing. You look reasonable lean and in great shape for your age and still in better shape then 90% of guys half your age.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You definitely not a fat guy rocket lol. I think it's more of a structural thing. You look reasonable lean and in great shape for your age and still in better shape then 90% of guys half your age.
Thank you!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thank you!
I'm willing to bet that at any given time if there was 100 ppl in a room, regardless of age that 95 of them won't have visible ABS, and I might be being generous, probably 99 out of 100 don't have abs

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm willing to bet that at any given time if there was 100 ppl in a room, regardless of age that 95 of them won't have visible ABS, and I might be being generous, probably 99 out of 100 don't have abs
I'll trade my abs for a pair of 18" arms !!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I feel that. I like having abs, but it’s so satisfying feeling my arms tight in my sleeves. And I’m almost always wearing a shirt, the arms are always visible.
Yep !!!!!!!!!!!

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do a simple ab workout. Crunches and leg raises. 5 sets of 25 each, last set to failure. Easy peasy
Clarification: 4 sets of 25, 5th set to failure

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
ahahaha for "not being lean" you have great ab definition my man

View attachment 224991View attachment 224992

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
dude, 100%. I tell my wife I'm not looking for a dress for my arms.
Saw an ad for some lululemon shirts and while expensive, I have one from 10 years ago that's still my favorite shirt. but I saw these gartner snakes getting lost in the sleeves and thought "who wants a shirt to fit like that??"

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Rocket man, you're one of my heroes here dude.

But you calling yourself fat is proof that no matter how much muscle we build, or fat we burn, body dysmorphia stays strong.

I think it's the force that drives most of us to keep striving to achieve new goals and attain new levels of fitness, when everyone else is wondering why we still aren't content. 🤣🤣🤣

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Rocket man, you're one of my heroes here dude.

But you calling yourself fat is proof that no matter how much muscle we build, or fat we burn, body dysmorphia stays strong.

I think it's the force that drives most of us to keep striving to achieve new goals and attain new levels of fitness, when everyone else is wondering why we still aren't content. 🤣🤣🤣
Right now I'm not happy with my love handles, to much handle !!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
almost... almost... targeted abs today post squats. But talked myself out of it with the short holiday week since I'm going to deadlift on Weds. Figured my abs would still be sore lol. I'll do then ha.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
almost... almost... targeted abs today post squats. But talked myself out of it with the short holiday week since I'm going to deadlift on Weds. Figured my abs would still be sore lol. I'll do then ha.
Tomorrow Never Comes !!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Threw in weighted crunches and med ball Russian twists yesterday after deads .. feeling it lol.

Between the pulls, rows, twists, and back extensions I've managed to make sure my entire body feels the need for a tryptophan recovery today.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Tryptophan coma for me !!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
we only have one 'ab' machine at the new gym. I'll try to get a pic of it tonight or tomorrow. I still feel like I don't want to do abs the day before deadlift day so I'll likely throw them in tomorrow or thursday...

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I do very minimal about work. I just don't see the need. I usually do abs at the end of my workout and by then they are already pretty exhausted from the rest of the workout, so I'll do 1 final about exercise to just put the nail in the coffin but that's about it.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I do very minimal about work. I just don't see the need. I usually do abs at the end of my workout and by then they are already pretty exhausted from the rest of the workout, so I'll do 1 final about exercise to just put the nail in the coffin but that's about it.
Do you have visible abs ?

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Do you have visible abs ?
For sure... well depending on my body fat. I don't really need to directly hit my abs for them to get a good workout and be sore the next day. I keep my core engaged throughout the entire workout, so it's not uncommon for me to have a solid workout and wake up with a sore core the next day without ever isolating my abs.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
For sure... well depending on my body fat. I don't really need to directly hit my abs for them to get a good workout and be sore the next day. I keep my core engaged throughout the entire workout, so it's not uncommon for me to have a solid workout and wake up with a sore core the next day without ever isolating my abs.
Pic's ??

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I sorta feel similar. Its hard for me to motivate to do additional ab work unless I can tell the abs are the weak link in my squats or deads. anytime my bf drops to 15% or lower my abs start popping naturally.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm about 4 weeks away from starting my cut so I don't have visible abs now but I will try to dig up pics on my other phone.

I sorta feel similar. Its hard for me to motivate to do additional ab work unless I can tell the abs are the weak link in my squats or deads. anytime my bf drops to 15% or lower my abs start popping naturally.
Well some people don't really engage their abs during workouts as much as others. If you did a workout of just chin ups and push ups your abs would be absolutely obliterated the next day. Your core should be getting a workout on every single exercise you do. Even if you're just isolating your biceps your core should still be engaged. Some people engage different parts of their core during different exercises though. Take a look at how someone does a pushup. The proper form would be to keep yourself in a plank position, however some people do that for the first rep and then let their hips fall, disengaging their abs and letting their lower back take the pressure. You can see this on bench pressing and shoulder pressing as well when people start to over-arch and move the tension from their abs to their lower back.

If you've ever trained someone who has never worked out before and teach them proper form, the first thing they will notice after their first workout session is how sore their abs are (even if they didn't do a single ab isolation exercise) because the entire workout their core was engaged and being worked. Not only is this important to help build stronger abs but it's crucial in helping prevent lower back injuries.

However, if you do notice that your abs are a weak link on deads or squats, then they should be isolated and trained more. Neglecting to do so could likely end in a lower back injury.