A Superior Form of Epicatechin?

Mike Arnold

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Tannase-Converted Green Tea Extract

Epicatechin has been a popular muscle builder for years now, but is epicatechin itself the best form of epicatechin for muscle growth? According to the research below, the answer is no. As you can see below, Tannase-Converted Green Tea Extract w/ a high epicatechin content promoted significantly greater growth than epicatechin alone.

This is likely due to superior bioavailability, as well as additive/synergistic effects of additional active constituents within the product.

Regardless of the reason, it appears that Tannase-Converted Green Tea Extract (w/ a high epicatechin content) is more effective than Epicatechin itself.

Tannase-Converted Green Tea Extract with High (-)-Epicatechin Inhibits Skeletal Muscle Mass in Aged Mice
Ki-Bae Hong 1, Hee-Seok Lee 2, Dong Hyeon Kim 3, Joo Myung Moon 3, Yooheon Park 4
Affiliations expand
Free PMC article
Abstract
The objective of this study was to investigate the effects of tannase-converted green tea extract on body composition, muscle oxidative stress-related factors, and differentiation-related factors. The mean bone-related parameters and body composition were determined by the live dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA). Quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (qRT-PCR) and western blotting were used to determine mRNA expression and protein levels, respectively. The results of total mass testing in the epicatechin control (EC) and middle concentration tannase-converted green tea extract (T 1) intake groups were not significantly different compared with those in the control group; however, the high-concentration tannase-converted green tea extract (T 2) group showed a significantly higher effect to the lean than that of all other groups (p < 0.05). The results of the assay of muscle differentiation-related genes indicated that the expression levels in the EC and T 1 groups (p < 0.05) and the expression levels in the T 2 group (p < 0.01) were significantly different in the bicep femoris compared with that in the control group. The results of the SOD gene assay indicate that the expression levels in the EC and T 1 groups (p < 0.05) and the expression level in the T 2 group (p < 0.01) were significantly different in the bicep femoris compared with that in the control group. Additionally, SOD gene expression in the T 2 group was significantly increased (p < 0.05) in the soleus compared with that in the control, EC and T 1 groups. Our results suggest that tannase-converted green tea extract prevents muscle loss and regulates the quantity and quality of muscle by the levels of antioxidant stress-related enzymes and muscle differentiation factors to a greater extent than the administration of epicatechin and middle dose green tea extract.

Effects of tannase-converted green tea extract on skeletal muscle development
Ki-Bae Hong 1, Hee-Seok Lee 2, Jeong Sup Hong 3, Dong Hyeon Kim 4, Joo Myung Moon 4, Yooheon Park 5
Affiliations expand
Free PMC article
Abstract
Background: The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of tannase-converted green tea extract with a high (-)-epicatechin (EC), (-)-epigallocatechin (EGC), and gallic acid (GA) content on myotube density and fusion in normal and oxidative stress-induced C2C12 skeletal muscle cells. Although the use of green tea extract is considered beneficial, cellular and molecular mechanisms of action of tannase-converted green tea extracts that are used as potential muscle growth materials have not been thoroughly studied.
Methods: This study used histological analysis and molecular biology techniques, and compared the results with those for AMPK activator 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide-1-β-D-ribonucleoside (AICAR) and green tea extracts.
Results: The myotube density of normal and oxidative stress-induced C2C12 cells was significantly higher in the tannase-converted green tea extract-treated group than that observed in the other groups (normal cells: P < 0.01; oxidative stress-induced cells: P < 0.05). In addition, tannase-converted green tea extract and green tea extract treatments significantly upregulated the genetic expression of myogenin, Myf5, and MyoD (P < 0.05). The levels of AMP-activated protein kinase-α (AMPKα) and muscle RING-finger protein-1 (MuRF-1) in the tannase-converted green tea extract group were higher than those in the AICAR and green tea extract groups (P < 0.05).
Conclusions: Taken together, our findings describe that the high levels of EC, EGC, and GA in the tannase-converted green tea extract are attributable to the morphological changes in C2C12 cells and intercellular signaling pathways. Therefore, tannase-converted green tea extract can be used in the treatment of sarcopenia.

slickwillie

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
These two studies were published in January/February of 2020. Have any supplement manufacturers done anything in response?

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m not even sure what tannase converted means.

Is it possible that it’s just the other tannins in the green tea extract are improving absorption?

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Tannase-Converted Green Tea Extract

Epicatechin has been a popular muscle builder for years now, but is epicatechin itself the best form of epicatechin for muscle growth? According to the research below, the answer is no. As you can see below, Tannase-Converted Green Tea Extract w/ a high epicatechin content promoted significantly greater growth than epicatechin alone.

This is likely due to superior bioavailability, as well as additive/synergistic effects of additional active constituents within the product.

Regardless of the reason, it appears that Tannase-Converted Green Tea Extract (w/ a high epicatechin content) is more effective than Epicatechin itself.

Tannase-Converted Green Tea Extract with High (-)-Epicatechin Inhibits Skeletal Muscle Mass in Aged Mice
Ki-Bae Hong 1, Hee-Seok Lee 2, Dong Hyeon Kim 3, Joo Myung Moon 3, Yooheon Park 4
Affiliations expand
Free PMC article
Abstract
The objective of this study was to investigate the effects of tannase-converted green tea extract on body composition, muscle oxidative stress-related factors, and differentiation-related factors. The mean bone-related parameters and body composition were determined by the live dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA). Quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (qRT-PCR) and western blotting were used to determine mRNA expression and protein levels, respectively. The results of total mass testing in the epicatechin control (EC) and middle concentration tannase-converted green tea extract (T 1) intake groups were not significantly different compared with those in the control group; however, the high-concentration tannase-converted green tea extract (T 2) group showed a significantly higher effect to the lean than that of all other groups (p < 0.05). The results of the assay of muscle differentiation-related genes indicated that the expression levels in the EC and T 1 groups (p < 0.05) and the expression levels in the T 2 group (p < 0.01) were significantly different in the bicep femoris compared with that in the control group. The results of the SOD gene assay indicate that the expression levels in the EC and T 1 groups (p < 0.05) and the expression level in the T 2 group (p < 0.01) were significantly different in the bicep femoris compared with that in the control group. Additionally, SOD gene expression in the T 2 group was significantly increased (p < 0.05) in the soleus compared with that in the control, EC and T 1 groups. Our results suggest that tannase-converted green tea extract prevents muscle loss and regulates the quantity and quality of muscle by the levels of antioxidant stress-related enzymes and muscle differentiation factors to a greater extent than the administration of epicatechin and middle dose green tea extract.

Effects of tannase-converted green tea extract on skeletal muscle development
Ki-Bae Hong 1, Hee-Seok Lee 2, Jeong Sup Hong 3, Dong Hyeon Kim 4, Joo Myung Moon 4, Yooheon Park 5
Affiliations expand
Free PMC article
Abstract
Background: The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of tannase-converted green tea extract with a high (-)-epicatechin (EC), (-)-epigallocatechin (EGC), and gallic acid (GA) content on myotube density and fusion in normal and oxidative stress-induced C2C12 skeletal muscle cells. Although the use of green tea extract is considered beneficial, cellular and molecular mechanisms of action of tannase-converted green tea extracts that are used as potential muscle growth materials have not been thoroughly studied.
Methods: This study used histological analysis and molecular biology techniques, and compared the results with those for AMPK activator 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide-1-β-D-ribonucleoside (AICAR) and green tea extracts.
Results: The myotube density of normal and oxidative stress-induced C2C12 cells was significantly higher in the tannase-converted green tea extract-treated group than that observed in the other groups (normal cells: P < 0.01; oxidative stress-induced cells: P < 0.05). In addition, tannase-converted green tea extract and green tea extract treatments significantly upregulated the genetic expression of myogenin, Myf5, and MyoD (P < 0.05). The levels of AMP-activated protein kinase-α (AMPKα) and muscle RING-finger protein-1 (MuRF-1) in the tannase-converted green tea extract group were higher than those in the AICAR and green tea extract groups (P < 0.05).
Conclusions: Taken together, our findings describe that the high levels of EC, EGC, and GA in the tannase-converted green tea extract are attributable to the morphological changes in C2C12 cells and intercellular signaling pathways. Therefore, tannase-converted green tea extract can be used in the treatment of sarcopenia.
So is this supposed to mean you're releasing a new product with this? Or just FYI.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
These two studies were published in January/February of 2020. Have any supplement manufacturers done anything in response?
There's really nothing for anyone to actually do 'in response' to this in my opinion because the studies from what I've seen are more related to slowing muscle loss with aging than actually applicable to the average person that takes Epicatechin for building muscle and body-composition purposes.

This type of raw material has been available for many years and is a lot cheaper than actual Epicatechin is.

I think that if anything, this may be a useful type of ingredient for elderly or aging individuals because in addition to helping with muscle loss, the other components in the green tea may have other health related benefits. And because it is cheaper, it may be more affordable for say someone that is older and living off of retirement, social security, etc. But for fitness and physique purposes, I'd stick with Epicatechin imo.

Note: For anyone that isn't aware, the anti-aging/longevity side of things is something I'm very passionate about, hence my above thought that this could be potentially beneficial to products moreso on that side of the market.

Btw... I also want to note that I'm replying here under the assumption that we're just having an ingredient study conversation. If Mike is hinting at a new product, I don't mean to be disparaging towards it in any way.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’m not even sure what tannase converted means.

Is it possible that it’s just the other tannins in the green tea extract are improving absorption?
I've read I think every study on this while researching ingredients for potential anti-aging and longevity benefits because I think that helping prevent muscle loss is a very important and often overlooked thing in that area.

From what I've read, my opinion is that it isn't so much that it improves the absorption of Epicatechin itself as that other components in the material itself may be beneficial to the particular research group/purpose - aging individuals.

I think that Epicatechin absorbs just fine with Bioperine/Piperine. There was a big thread I think last year on that subject and it was like arguing semantics in some saying - well, you have to take x dosage to absorb y dosage - and it was like, well yeah, that's the case with dang near any ingredient haha.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
From what I've read, my opinion is that it isn't so much that it improves the absorption of Epicatechin itself as that other components in the material itself may be beneficial to the particular research group/purpose - aging individuals.
That makes a lot of sense! Like how antioxidants can prevent muscle wasting for the elderly but are clearly not anabolic for bodybuilders.