90's supplements that did not work. You might laugh. Add yours own that you remember

cblddt

cblddt

Awards
Thanks everyone for your insight. If you were buying supplements back then I know you got some laughs. I read Muscle Media 2000 like it was the Bible. I guess Bill Phillips was God to me too. Dan Duchaine was maybe David. What in the world was that book about steroids that was always advertised in his magazine? Something Like "Anabolic Review" it was Blue and White I think. I memorized everything in it, and somehow I always was in a conversation about steroids so I could ramble off all the info I knew. How embarrassing. Thats probably why I could never get laid back then either. LOL Hear I was the stud fullback, strongest person in school, four percent body fat and loved myself. Yeah that what girls like! lol
Funny I still have this book it was backed with all my old high school stuff.

WesleyInman

WesleyInman

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ultimate Orange had ephedra and clen..this is why everyone had jitters on it..stuff was amazing. The new version Ultimate Orange Juiced is at Nutri Verse , TGB and GYMnTONIC supplements.

Hot Stuff II got banned because it contained pure dbol..I worked at GNC in 1997 when it was flying off shelves.

Xenadrine and Hydroxycut with ephedra sold like nothing else.

Designer protein was awesome.

Liquid creatine worked.

EAS was amazing, Phosphagen and Betagen HP.

The worst product that I ever tried working there was "THE BEAST" ..homeopathic trash.

The 1990's were AMAZING..I miss that era of bodybuilding greatly. It was before the FDA got involved and ****ed everything good up.

thebeast.jpg

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
supps that DID work:
ripped fuel -twinlab
ripped something by abb, that stuff was strong.

the old ephedra formulas were very good-much better than bronkaid, imo.
Yeah I think it was cuz it was in capsule form it hit you much harder. Still miss those old brown glass bottles of Ripped Fuel and Diet Fuel.

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
Still can't beat pro performance liver tabs. Use to take with lunch in school, everyone was like **** that's huge pills u sure u can swallow that. Lol....

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Androsol was awesome, one of the best andro products I used back in the day.

irvin

Awards
I was in college in 97, so I went to the good old university supplement store who sold pro-hormones. Took 19-norando by Sports One, strength skyrocketed within weeks. Was close grip benching 275 for 3 reps not bad for a 170 pound freshman. I was also taking a lot of other stuff like Designer whey, creatine, glutamine, and good old ripped fuel with ephedra ( made you feel like a god). I miss the 90's.

cdnbum88

Awards
Remember doing the Body for Life competition as the real start of before/after programs. Expensive 12 weeks since you had to use EAS products only. Spent a lot turned out pretty decent results and got a metal. Now with the hordes or product options and competitions for the lay person, it has come a long way.

Also, what about simlac under your tongue or was the yohimbe bark? Either way it tasted pretty nasty.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I remember running old school mag 10, was great! Ran out and you started again when you bought your next bottle, no pct and no issues. Lol, and I am in great health now so who knows pct is over rated, lol.

irvin

Awards
God I love this thread. I also remember taking Weider Mega Mass 2000 the one with Louie on the container got it at Wal-mart. Holy crap when I first drank it tasted and smelled like death. LOL I also remember in the good old college dorm days, one of the guys a few doors from me got bitch tits from 19-nor we called him rutabaga. (hahahaha) AAAHHHH the good ole 90's

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not looking back, but anyone remember Cybergenics? It was super expensive,

I bet someone mentioned this though. Remember reading about this stuff while I was in high school in bb magazines.

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Smilax baby. That **** was worthless. I got some at the local gym.

Remember Russian Bear?

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Androsol was da bomb from Biotest. I loved the methoxy7 that tasted like bubble gum.

dredmentia

Awards
All I can remember is "powerbars" and they were GROSS. guess im a little to young for this thread

Big_Spaz

Big_Spaz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I fell for it all as well. I started lifting in the summer of 1996 and never really stopped.

I remember Ultimate Orange being one of my first supplements (if not the first) and then jumping aboard the EAS train. I mean I read the book (Encyclopedia of supplements) and the whole 9 yards. Used Ripped Force (the drink) by ABB in the gym when I trained, and always used Cell-Tech or Nitro-Tech as well.

The one's that really make me laugh are the "fads" I fell for. I remember chewing creatine gum (yes it was creatine in gum form and tasted like I was chewing on toothpaste that never disolved) and the early transdermals (like "Tight" or something by Patrick Arnold when he had Ergopharm) and trying to remove some of my bulk with that stuff around my love handles.

Good times :)

-Spaz

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I fell for it all as well. I started lifting in the summer of 1996 and never really stopped.

I remember Ultimate Orange being one of my first supplements

-Spaz
The title says 90's supplements that Didn't work. I thought ultimate orange was the ****. My first killer pre workout supplement!

turff49

turff49

Awards
Ergopharm had some pretty good stuff out like their 19nor products and some of the various andro products. My strength went through the window.

NeoNewfie

Awards
I agree with those who say liquid creatine is the greatest scam of all.

I fell for it not once but twice, but I was twenty-something and still quite stupid.

The one true benefit of being over forty is wisdom!

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If I had continued lifting when I started in high school I would have been some kind of pro by now. Unfortunately I am a lazy fat ass.
It comes and goes. I had a chance to do juice in high school. I wish I would have.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
can't remember if 70's or 80's but that liquid protein that came in the brown bottle, it was red and tasted like crap...I think rec dose was a tbsp...if I remember right it was a weider product, lol!!!

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Doing 1200mg per day of the Andro Series...that should do it! ;) I like saying "I use my own ****".

Russian Bear
98372616-260x260-0-0_Vitol+Vicol+Russian+Bear+Dietary+Supplement+25+pak.jpg

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
AndroPoppers sucked. They took 10 years to dissolve! Trying to recall what else they had... I remember when DHEA came out! That was a big one. :)

dredmentia

Awards
When did human growth hormone become popular ?? I think the early 90s right because alot of Wrestlers got in trouble for using it (ultimate warrior, British bulldog)

Jinora

Jinora

Awards
What a scam but would love a percentage of their profits

turff49

turff49

Awards
Use to get a supposed HGH product in the late 90's from "behind the counter" at GNC. What a waste of money that was!

jaredmus

jaredmus

Awards
I remember creakic, leukic and gakic being some really expensive stuff. Creakic was first creatine I ever used. They also had nanox9 and aplodan ton of other products with crazy names and the most insane ads ever.

dredmentia

Awards
I remember creakic, leukic and gakic being some really expensive stuff. Creakic was first creatine I ever used. They also had nanox9 and aplodan ton of other products with crazy names and the most insane ads ever.
Lmao I bought Gakic and Leukic because it was in all the !magazines and muscletech told me to. Was there any legitimacy to that stuff at all

vincentgn

Awards
ultimate orange was awesome! and honestly, the original hydroxycut by muscle tech was great too.. too bad they were a ****ty marketing company with ridiculous claims. every teenager in the 90's bought into that **** lol also.. anyone remember when quality whey protein was about $25 for 5lbs?? damn

Benaggie01

Awards
Who remembers Growh Factor XT or something like that? It was tiny little white sugar pills that you put 6-8 at a time under your tongue. Could only find the ads in the back of muscle and fitness. Definitely sugar pills but we worked out so hard after we took those I think I gained 5-10 lbs in a month.

There was the original andro that Weider (I think) made in a white bottle, they sold those in the freaking grocery stores.

I remember androsol, it was phenomenal. S1 and S1+ were probably the last transdermals worth anything. Didn't think they lasted too long on the market.

Phosagen was the first thing I bought back in 95 or so. I saved and saved and begged my parents to take me to the mall to buy it. Tasted so acidic but think worked ok.

Maybe I'm the only one but I thought HMB was beneficial if you could take enough of it.

I remember the original tribestan tribulus in the foil packs. We had those in our gym bags and swore we were basically doing the same stuff as the pros.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Who remembers Growh Factor XT or something like that? It was tiny little white sugar pills that you put 6-8 at a time under your tongue. Could only find the ads in the back of muscle and fitness. Definitely sugar pills but we worked out so hard after we took those I think I gained 5-10 lbs in a month.

There was the original andro that Weider (I think) made in a white bottle, they sold those in the freaking grocery stores.

I remember androsol, it was phenomenal. S1 and S1+ were probably the last transdermals worth anything. Didn't think they lasted too long on the market.

Phosagen was the first thing I bought back in 95 or so. I saved and saved and begged my parents to take me to the mall to buy it. Tasted so acidic but think worked ok.

Maybe I'm the only one but I thought HMB was beneficial if you could take enough of it.

I remember the original tribestan tribulus in the foil packs. We had those in our gym bags and swore we were basically doing the same stuff as the pros.
I used to buy that andro at Osco before it became cvs-stuff worked!!!

formerlyacat

Awards
It's Never too late!!!!
lol. So many people did start juicing in high school, and they continued too, and many became professional athletes, making plenty of money. This was a simpler time when Bill Phillips and Dan Duchaine were bff, and we read the magazine, Muscle Media 2000. Wow, imagine what the future will look like that was the reason for the 2000 in the magazine, but this was the first time a publication explained about steroids, and at the time showed the only ergonomic aids that worked were Creatine and Ephedrine. Also at the time there was a book called, World Anabolic Review 1996,which I read as my bible, and thought I knew more than my local general practitioner at the age of 16, but maybe I did. Lol

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol. So many people did start juicing in high school, and they continued too, and many became professional athletes, making plenty of money. This was a simpler time when Bill Phillips and Dan Duchaine were bff, and we read the magazine, Muscle Media 2000. Wow, imagine what the future will look like that was the reason for the 2000 in the magazine, but this was the first time a publication explained about steroids, and at the time showed the only ergonomic aids that worked were Creatine and Ephedrine. Also at the time there was a book called, World Anabolic Review 1996,which I read as my bible, and thought I knew more than my local general practitioner at the age of 16, but maybe I did. Lol
It looks like we are of the same generation, because everything you've mentioned I remember well

BoloYeung1

BoloYeung1

Awards
Doing 1200mg per day of the Andro Series...that should do it! ;) I like saying "I use my own ****".

Russian Bear View attachment 128682
I don't know about this one~~I took animal pak vs Russian bear and I liked Russian bear better. Had the yohimbine kick when you took the whole pack before working out.

BoloYeung1

BoloYeung1

Awards
I remember when I tried cell tech. My mom who was a nurse said it had more sugar than 3 cans of coke (or something like that)