8 week cycle-Cut and switch to a bulk or bulk and switch to a cut?

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My next cycle will be 8 weeks and I want to split it up with 4 weeks of it being a cut and 4 weeks of it being a bulk. What is more efficient for the metabolism to do, starting with a 4 week cut then switching to a 4 week bulk, or doing the reverse by bulking for 4 weeks and then switching to a cut for the final 4 weeks? I am leaning toward doing the latter because I am concerned if I went straight from a 4 week cut to an immediate bulk, there wouldn’t be sufficient time to reverse diet into the bulk with only 4 weeks remaining in the cycle, thus i would be much more prone to gaining fat if I suddenly added in a ton of calories after being in a caloric deficit for 4 weeks. What do you all think?

2manyprojects

2manyprojects

Awards
My thoughts is bulk then cut. But I don’t know. Where is you body fat now?

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
About 17 and a half. Probably should be doing the whole 8 weeks as a cut, but my last two cycles were cuts and I want some variety along the journey.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I would advise you to choose one goal, bulk or cut.

Or alternatively, you could eat at maintenance and try to do a little bit of both.

If i were you i would cut naturally/with assistance of mk677 and maybe some beneficial non suppressive supps (there are some, beta androstenetriol, 7 keto etc) to 10-12% and then i would do a lean bulk on steroids.

Keeping fat intake low on cycle will help minimize the fat intake, that is from my experience. You will bloat from a lot of carbs but you wont get fat.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Cut before you bulk. Unless youre already around 10% bf, its pretty much always better to cut first. If you start a bulk flabby, youll just get more fat. Gains come on a lot leaner when you start lean- improved insulin sensitivity, nutrient partitioning, etc.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
4 weeks isn't much time to do anything you'd be better off just choosing one goal.

I think the advice above from both regarding cutting (either before the cycle or with the cycle to help) are probably spot on, unless you have been in a deficit for any particularly long period before this.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks for your advice everyone. As much as I would like to bulk I know I need to continue cutting at my body fat for probably another full two 8 weeks cycle. I am going to focus on cutting for the entire 8 weeks.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Cut before you bulk...Gains come on a lot leaner when you start lean- improved insulin sensitivity, nutrient partitioning, etc.
This is very interesting and something I didn’t know. I would like to read up on this. Do you happen to have any articles I can read that support people with low body fat have a faster rate of muscle gain when bulking than people with a higher body fat percentage?

maximillia

maximillia

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
This is very interesting and something I didn’t know. I would like to read up on this. Do you happen to have any articles I can read that support people with low body fat have a faster rate of muscle gain when bulking than people with a higher body fat percentage?
That is true, for the reasons he mentioned and several others, like inflammation. Since gaining muscle is easier when you are lean, it is better to cut first and then bulk, more efficient and your body will thank you.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You can google P-ratio if you are interested in more research.

In short some research shows that lean individuals gain muscle at a better ratio (more muscle vs fat) than those already at higher body fat levels.

Maybe being a bit pedantic, but it doesn't necessarily show they gain more muscle, but the ratio is better. Similar to how if you eat a ton you ultimately put more muscle on, but also more fat to strip off after too: Muscle to Fat Gain Ratio