5x5 for the ectomorph?

DaveWalton

Awards
I've searched online and seen different opinions on this. James Chan (I'm currently using his "hypertrophy training for the ectomorph" program) says that 5x5 is not good for ectomorph as they cannot handle too much stress in a particular rep range (he recommends pyramid training).

Would 5x5 benefit an ectomorph hardgainer?

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
it could im also an ecto i found that what worked best for me was a 5 day split each day was a different muscle group ex. monday-chest, tuesday- back and so forth. i started off with 3 exercises of 3 sets with 8-10 reps to help build strength and size and now i currently do 4-5 exercises per group with 4 sets of 8-12 reps ive gone up in weight and strength, size. i love my workout plan but its still not down perfectly i still have some kinks to workout to make it better but i hope this works just remember to eat like a horse and get between 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound, eat, train and sleep is key my friend

jfk

Awards
it could im also an ecto i found that what worked best for me was a 5 day split each day was a different muscle group ex. monday-chest, tuesday- back and so forth. i started off with 3 exercises of 3 sets with 8-10 reps to help build strength and size and now i currently do 4-5 exercises per group with 4 sets of 8-12 reps ive gone up in weight and strength, size. i love my workout plan but its still not down perfectly i still have some kinks to workout to make it better but i hope this works just remember to eat like a horse and get between 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound, eat, train and sleep is key my friend
I don't think that's a true 5X5 though. I not an expert on the 5X5, but it does NOT incorporate splits. Instead, it focuses solely on big compound movements, and you hit the major muscle groups 3 times a week with varying intensity. There is a ton of info on it so I'm not going to elaborate.

While I've never followed the 5X5 to a T, I've done a variation on it where I did whole body workouts, three to four times per week with a heavy day, a light day and a medium day while only doing heavy compound lifts. It worked wonders for me.....just had to eat enough. I'm also 6'3'' and weigh 205...so probably a similar body types as you.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
we need more info. how long have you been training and what are your goals?

jvb20

Awards
im an ecto but a more expirianced lifter and here is the 5x5 that im following...

Monday:

Olympic Squats: 5X5
Bench Press: 5X5
Barbell Rows: 5X5
Wednesday:
wednesday

Military Press: 5X5
Deadlifts: 5X5
Pull-Ups: 5X5

Friday:

Olympic Squats: 5X5 (same weight as Monday)
Bench Press: 5X5
Barbell Row: 5X5

jvb20