500 Deadlfit for 8 Reps at 200 pounds

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I haven't done a high reps set in a while. I felt good yesterday so I figured what the heck lets see how 500 moves. I know I can get 9 or 10 reps with a mixed grip. I'll be shooting to pull somewhere in the 600's conventional with a stiff bar in 6 weeks.

https://youtu.be/J1OeTb-mVKM

Apsmith4992

Apsmith4992

Awards
  • Established
It's probably a link from YouTube. But yeah that's impressive 495 is my next goal but I'm about 40lbs behind you lol

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
It's probably a link from YouTube. But yeah that's impressive 495 is my next goal but I'm about 40lbs behind you lol
Good luck with your goal. Deadlift is my weakest of the big 3. What has helped most is focusing on a lot of glute and hamstring exercises.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll be shooting to pull somewhere in the 600's conventional with a stiff bar in 6 weeks.
Nice strong pulling.
What is your top single so far?, since 8 reps with 500, depending on how you have been working lower reps/sets, might already equate to a #600 pull.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
615 sumo and 585 conventional. I had some imbalances last time I maxed 585. I've added a lot of glute and ham work. Pulls feel much smoother now.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice pulls, you made it look easy. I'm pulling 515 now, but no way am I near 8 reps in a row. The problem I have had my entire lifting life (25 years) is that when I focus on higher rep heavy deads, everything else suffers.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Nice pulls, you made it look easy. I'm pulling 515 now, but no way am I near 8 reps in a row. The problem I have had my entire lifting life (25 years) is that when I focus on higher rep heavy deads, everything else suffers.
515 is a strong pull. How many people on the planet can pull 500? Maybe 1 percent? I never deadlift more than 1x per week. I do a lot of other deadlift assistance movements throughout the week though. The butt blaster machine, stiff leg deadlifts, etc. After that set I needed a couple days off.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haha, funny you say that because I watched the video and thought, eww yeah, that would be a week before I felt right again.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Haha, funny you say that because I watched the video and thought, eww yeah, that would be a week before I felt right again.
Yea. The spinal erectors are still a little tender. I used to never skip workouts but I always seem to come back stronger with some extra rest.

ketodiet

Awards
wow great tips, thanks so much for that!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
615 sumo and 585 conventional. I had some imbalances last time I maxed 585. I've added a lot of glute and ham work. Pulls feel much smoother now.
2 cents...
Sounds like you have some good squatting abilities as well if you can sumo over #600!?
Have you tried "slight" deficit work to bump your floor pull up? When I say slight, all you may need is a 1"-2" plate to stand on, just to make that ROM a tad harder/longer. You don't want to get the deficit so high it changes your pulling mechanics.
I use these and I think they helped get me up over #625 conventional and made going to reg floor pulling for reps, feel almost like a partial at times.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
2 cents...
Sounds like you have some good squatting abilities as well if you can sumo over #600!?
Have you tried "slight" deficit work to bump your floor pull up? When I say slight, all you may need is a 1"-2" plate to stand on, just to make that ROM a tad harder/longer. You don't want to get the deficit so high it changes your pulling mechanics.
I use these and I think they helped get me up over #625 conventional and made going to reg floor pulling for reps, feel almost like a partial at times.
I have never done deficit work! This sounds like a great tool to add to my arsenal. I'm going to go with paused deads for the next 6 weeks. For my following training cycle I'll add in deficit work. Great job on the 625 pull! That's some big weight! Are you still pushing to go further than that 625 or are you content? I always ask myself when I'll stop aiming to add more weight to my lifts. I think the answer is never!

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Those are some clean ass pulls....have u tested ur 1RM yet?

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Thanks. I'm not sure when I'll test 1 RM. I'm certain it will be somewhere in the low 600's by the time I do. I was planning to run a 6 week program and test on week 6. My hip flexor is acting up. The program I want to run calls for heavy low rep squats several times each week. That's no Bueno for my flexor. I'm going to train with higher reps for a bit. Most likely test the 1RM in 2-3 months. Not sure yet might be sooner.