5/3/1 with incline press and OHP would be ok?

amarula

Awards
I'm planning to give a real shot to this program but thinking to replace the flat bench for the incline since I need to develop the colar bone attached fibers more. Do you guys think it's a good idea or would be overkill to the shoulders?

MTPMJM

MTPMJM

Awards
  • Established
Yea that would definitely be fine to switch to Incline for your dominant pressing move... however I would do flat bench for assistance

You can also just program for flat bench and add in incline pressing assistance

HJH

Awards
It would be okay, but as the poster above noted, why not do incline as an accessory instead? Do 531 with flat bench followed by 5x10 incline.

amarula

Awards
I prefer the incline but will try to add flat in assistance

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used to do flat 5/3/1 and then reverse bench for my 5x10 assistance. Look into reverse bench OP. I believe studies show even higher activation of the upper pec major fibers with reverse bench vs incline.

amarula

Awards
I used to do flat 5/3/1 and then reverse bench for my 5x10 assistance. Look into reverse bench OP. I believe studies show even higher activation of the upper pec major fibers with reverse bench vs incline.
reverse grip bench? I have tried but didn't feel comfortable with it..

jaces

jaces

Awards
I also had problems with the reverse bench but get some wrist support and use dumbells.. an awesome exercise to add

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah youve gotta get the grip width just right to make sure you aren't putting your wrist into excessive radial deviation. Wrist support definitely help out a lot too

jaces

jaces

Awards
i dont do the reverse bench anymore but what you can do is use flat bench for your 5/3/1 and smith incline bench(at +-30 degrees) for your assistance work but this will be more of a bodybuilding tipe variation

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I prefer the incline but will try to add flat in assistance
I agree. Flat bench is to hard on my collar bones and shoulders so i stick with incline now.

amarula

Awards
I guess that I will tweak a little bit with several assistance exercises and see what I like the most

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
It would be okay, but as the poster above noted, why not do incline as an accessory instead? Do 531 with flat bench followed by 5x10 incline.
This.

JSNeves

JSNeves

Awards
I agree with the few that say stick with flat bench for the 531 work then incline for your main assistance movement

The assistance work is where the bulk of your hypertrophy is going to come from