5/3/1 Squat problem - Smith machine or leg press

rangestormer

Awards
I know everybody doing 5/3/1 or similar strength program hates this question, but hear me out. I moved to a new place, and there are not many gyms around, but there is one particularly good, except for the horrendous squat stand. First of all, the bar can be positioned either a bit high, or a bit low for my height. But that is not the real problem. When you pick up the bar, you either make a step back, and you are faced with two safety sidebars (non-adjustable), which are way high for a full squat, or you have to make 6-8 steps to get away from the stand.
Well, I chose the second way and when I reached the third week of the cycle (squatting with 95% of 1RM), I realized how awful this is, and I also hurt my back. I am not planning on continuing with this, and I am hopping I will find a new gym or that they would get a new stand. Anyway, in the mean time, do you think it is better to move on to the Smith machine squat or the leg press?

kdeveiro

Awards
How far too high? Waist, ribs? Is it preventing a2g or patallel?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How did you hurt your back?
How is your form?
Any vids? As you might want to find out why this is was happening so as to correct it.
Personally, as far as doing near max or heavy squat work in a "smith"!?, I'd err on the side of caution, especially if you hurt your back with a reg bar. Smith's have a very dictated bar path and not real natural for lifters, especially squatting and also lifters can tend to squirm or move under them in ways that have you not staying tight or in form with a free wt squat.
Leg pressing would sound like the lesser of the evils IMO, but not sure what is going on with the free wt. rack and your set up!?

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Switch it up and try both...Every couple of weeks or so I do heavy squat on Smith then burn out with high volume on leg press...I still do heavy or moderate weight with bb squats but in your case it's not worth getting injured permanently to where you won't be able to do any type of heavy leg work...work with what you got...don't forget about db lunges

rangestormer

Awards
Kdeveiro, it is preventing a2g squat. It will probably work for a parallel squat, but I prefer going deeper.

I probably hurt it either when putting down the bar (I have to duck a bit to put it down), or when I was walking away from the stand backwards so that I can squat to the ground. Here is a pic of the exact rack, it will probably help understand my trouble. I have been squatting since I started lifting (10 years ago), and I have not had trouble, so I think my form is good. I regularly compare it to how others with more experience do it.

CS-SigBenchRack_SOSR-hero.png

kdeveiro

Awards
Unless you're really short, I think you can do a decent squat in that. Parallel squats are not necessarily worse than a2g, just different.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Unless you're like 5'6, you should be able to squat fine in that rack. I prefer the cage, but my gym only has one cage and 2 of those racks. So I end up using those most of the time

Everyone wants to curl in the damn cage...

rangestormer

Awards
Well, you've guessed right, I am exactly 5'6 :17:

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Oh. Well you might have to just step all the way out then

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hr4surf Natural Bodybuilding 11
ZoomZoom88 Training Forum 2
Gizmacho Pics 18
goslamacamel Training Forum 1