40% of American women and 35% of American men are obese (not just overweight)

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
40% of American women are now obese. Not just overweight, but obese. This basically means that for a guy who values physical fitness in himself and his partner, about half of American women are straight up undateable due to being significantly overweight.

The normalization and even celebration of "plus sized" women is making dating more difficult for both sexes IMO (as is the normalization of being overweight generally).

If you think about it, with fully half of American women obese or nearly obese, that leaves only half or less (probably 30% at best) in reasonable, let alone good shape, and from there you're only going to be physically and personally attracted to a fraction of those women.

Browsing a dating app like OKCupid is basically sifting through a very large number of obese women to find someone in reasonable shape, and from there see if you're attracted to them physically and personally.

Does anyone else feel like they don't see as many good looking women as they did 10-15 years ago (in the US)? I've been thinking that for awhile now and I figure some of it is where I live but some of it also has to be because as more women become overweight and obese they essentially become invisible/physically unattractive.

Obesity: Rates Are Increasing in American Women | Time.com

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Generally this is more for older individuals, as a college student obese people are common but not as common as when I go back home and go to the grocery store or the gym back there. However having not read the article, how do they classify obese? Body fat? Or do they use BMI? If the latter of the two is used then pretty much everyone on this forum is obese as well. Just a thought

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Generally this is more for older individuals, as a college student obese people are common but not as common as when I go back home and go to the grocery store or the gym back there. However having not read the article, how do they classify obese? Body fat? Or do they use BMI? If the latter of the two is used then pretty much everyone on this forum is obese as well. Just a thought
Either way this wouldn't surprise me. Take a look at the work ethic of this day in age compared to generations past. That combined with the abundance of "easy foods" one could get obese in like three months when it takes a year to loose the weight.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Obese is BMI 30 or greater. Even I'm not quite "obese" at 6' 220 ~13-14% bodyfat by caliper.

Think of it though, almost half of all American women are obese, which means at least half are grossly overweight.

In Japan only 3.5% of the population is obese.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Obese is BMI 30 or greater. Even I'm not quite "obese" at 6' 220 ~13-14% bodyfat by caliper.

Think of it though, almost half of all American women are obese, which means at least half are grossly overweight.

In Japan only 3.5% of the population is obese.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Living in one of the fittest states, it's not like that here, but when I travel, there are definitely states that I would say are trending this up. Not going to call any out, but I swear I have gone places and am just in awe at how obese people are literally everywhere and when you see someone that is just overweight, they actually look healthy in comparison.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I didn't see many fat people during the week I spent in Ireland. And we didn't see any motorized power chairs anywhere. All we saw were those damn skinny jeans, worn by men and women.

chemjr

chemjr

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I live near vcu and there are tons of overweight And obese college chicks. They just wear these trendy looking clothes to cover it up and guys get drunk enough to not give a fk. It's frikin sad. Bc like stated earlier it doesn't take much time at all to gain that weight but takes lots of hard work to get rid of it and most will NEVER get rid of all of it. And a lot of those who do trim down often go back when summer is over or they snag a man.

This is very sad and shows other countries that we are "weak". Also, how can there the most obese people ever And the most starving people ever on the planet at the same time? Quite a conundrum. (Not all that complex but something has to give, and it will).

Also spent some time in Ireland and there weren't hardly any overweight people, let alone obese. Maybe a veer gut here n there but otherwise in pretty good health and strong.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I live near vcu and there are tons of overweight And obese college chicks. They just wear these trendy looking clothes to cover it up and guys get drunk enough to not give a fk. It's frikin sad. Bc like stated earlier it doesn't take much time at all to gain that weight but takes lots of hard work to get rid of it and most will NEVER get rid of all of it. And a lot of those who do trim down often go back when summer is over or they snag a man.

This is very sad and shows other countries that we are "weak". Also, how can there the most obese people ever And the most starving people ever on the planet at the same time? Quite a conundrum. (Not all that complex but something has to give, and it will).

Also spent some time in Ireland and there weren't hardly any overweight people, let alone obese. Maybe a veer gut here n there but otherwise in pretty good health and strong.

The biggest people I saw there were the rugby players.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Same in Switzerland. I lived in Zurich for a summer and I don't recall seeing a single overweight person unless they were a tourist. The dollar was strong at that time and I wanted to buy a ton of clothes, but it was actually difficult finding a 34 waist in styles I liked.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rarely saw a young fat person in the 70s or 80s, We had one obese kid in HS. I recall him because he could not do a situp during that Presidential Physical Fitness test. It was like qualifying every year. No longer done I understand and PE is optional.