215 with the strength of about a 110

TakedownMastr

Awards
I wonder about this. I'm a generally big guy, not obese, but I am a little on the fat side. What I've been wondering about is a lack of strength I struggle with. I am about 6'2 and I am built like a goddamn basketball player (despite my hate of basketball because I am a wrestler) although most basketball players are slightly less fat and slightly stronger. My arms are extremely long but my legs are ever the longer as I cannot reach my toes placing my arms and legs straight out. My body fat is about 21%. Now to talk about the strength problem. Yesterday, I did a 7/7/11 work out for wrestling and my bench on that workout was only 85 pounds. I can bench about 115 at the most. I can squat about 245, but it's closer to 155 if you want to get picky about technique and depth. I have trouble performing a push-up correctly. Usually the technique for me is drop down in the same manner you would do a down-up, and pushing up really slowly, back most of the time involved. Yet there are guys who are a lot stronger who live less healthier lifestyles than me. I generally do a lot of long-distance running , except now when I'm likely to fall on ice. I recently have quit drinking pop and eating most forms of candy. I eat a lot, but it's mostly nutritious food. I can't say I'm an avid lifter but I do lift usually in physical education and I lifted for most of the summer. Yet, doing so, I can't seem to gain any strength. I am really confused on this and I would like advice from those who are experts on the transformation of the body.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Without seeing a picture of you it is hard to be a good judge of how much you "should" be able to lift. If you feel you are weak for your muscularity perhaps get a hormone check. A friend of mine had a pretty good amount of muscle mass but he was not very strong. Found out he had test in the 200 - 300s and after he started using androgel his strength shot up since he had the muscle there just not the hormones for the strength. See a dr get some blood work is my advice. Though it may just be lack of training i do not know you personally and as far as flexibility that is something you have to work on by stretching consistently a lot of people cannot touch their toes because they never stretch.

TakedownMastr

Awards
Without seeing a picture of you it is hard to be a good judge of how much you "should" be able to lift. If you feel you are weak for your muscularity perhaps get a hormone check. A friend of mine had a pretty good amount of muscle mass but he was not very strong. Found out he had test in the 200 - 300s and after he started using androgel his strength shot up since he had the muscle there just not the hormones for the strength. See a dr get some blood work is my advice. Though it may just be lack of training i do not know you personally and as far as flexibility that is something you have to work on by stretching consistently a lot of people cannot touch their toes because they never stretch.
Would it be recommended if I use a shirtless picture or can I just use some random ass picture from facebook?
Unfortunately my post count prevents me from linking random ass facebook pictures

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I mean I dont know how much a picture would help to be honest you know the facts of what you can lift and what you look like. Me seeing a pic wouldnt do much good. I suggest paying 50 bucks for a hormone test (directions can be found in one of the stickies on this forum) or seeing your doctor so he can give you a test that insurance will prob cover. Good luck.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
You mentioned that you do not use good technique. You said you squat 245 but if did it right, you would only be able to squat 155. This is very disturbing. Sounds like you are trying to force the issue by adding more weight than you can handle on the expense of form. Leave the ego out of it.

You need to lower the weight as much as you have to, even if that means benching and squating with the bar alone, and get the form right. Then every week add 5lbs to the bar. Never let the form go bad or it is a wasted workout. You are probably not benching with your chest and using too much delts and tri so your bench stays week. Not to mention you aso do not train consistently.

Yes some people naturally strong while others work hard for it.

- Do not change your routine often. Stick with the routine for a while at least
- Always bench, squat, and deadlift with solid form
- For wrestling, I would imagine you need to also do Rows and pulldowns with solid form
- Every workout your goal is to add 5lbs or add reps
- You must train regularly. You cannot train on and off and expect to get stronger

Get some books and read. Top of my list would be:

Practical Prgramming for Strength Training (Follow Novice reommendations)
Starting Strength 3rd edition (Good description of proper form and strength advice)
Brawn
Beyond Brawn