Guest viewing limit reached
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

2014...My quest to become Alpha (SPONSORED)

January 24, 2014

Always continue the climb. It is possible for you to do whatever you choose, if you first get to know who you are and are willing to work with a power that is greater than ourselves to do it. ~Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Push Hypertrophy

Incline DB Press (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

65x10,9,8

Flat DB Press (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

60x8,8,8

Rested 2 minutes on the last set to make sure I would get 8

Decline Machine Press (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

45x9,9,9

Pec Deck (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

105x9,9,9

Slow and controlled. 5 pounds heavier

Seated DB Shoulder Press (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

45x9,9,8,9

Up one rep

Machine Side Laterals (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

80x10,10,9,9

Reverse Pec Deck (rep range 8-12, rest 60 seconds)

115x10,10,8,8

Up two reps

Incline Skull Crushers (rep range 8-12, rest 45 seconds)

60x10,9,9

Up three reps

Single Arm Neutral Grip Cable Pressdowns (rep range 8-12, rest 45 seconds)

9x10,9,9

Reverse Grip EZ Bar Pressdowns (rep range 8-12, rest 45 seconds)

34x10,9,8

Sense of well being/confidence is doing very well. Workout was a little hard today. I don't know why. I think on the presses my negatives might have been slower. I'm not exactly sure. Also, I woke up at 5 this morning, freezing cold, and had a tough time getting back to sleep. I don't sleep past 7 and when I wake up that close to 7, I fear I will get up later. But anyways, enough of the excuses. It was still a good session, pump was insane.

Nutrition - Moderate Carb Day

Cals - 2,375
Protein - 225
Carbs - 230
Fiber - 46
Fat - 65
Sat - 10
Poly - 11
Mono - 28
​
 
Nice work man, looks like you have quite a bit of numbers on the rise, very nice!
 
Nice work man, looks like you have quite a bit of numbers on the rise, very nice!

My numbers are slowly rising. I can't complain. Realistically, I am at a VERY small surplus of calories, so strength gains won't come too fast. However, the mirror is looking good. Vascularity seems improved too. I'm really tempted to have a refeed day, or maybe on a high carb day lower my fat and protein and up the carbs. I'm a little flat and would love to see how I look full. Also, the other day, I saw a girl at the gym I talk to when we're they're at the same time. It was the first time she saw me since the log. She said to me, are you getting ready to compete right now? I said no why. She said I look a little bigger, but my face is a little sunk in and my taper is better :)
 
January 25, 2014

The thing always happens that you really believe in; and the belief in a thing makes it happen. ~Frank Loyd Wright

Legs Hypertrophy (Quad Dominant)

Front Squat (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

125x10,10,10,9,9

Up 3 reps this week.

Leg Press (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

360x12,10,10,10,9,9

First two sets were with feet very close together. Third and fourth sets were at medium width. Last two sets were with feet as spread apart as possible. On all sets, I only pushed with the balls of my feet. The back of my feet hang off the platform and only the top half of my foot is on the platform. Up 40 pounds. I was putting the weight as 420 before, it was really 320. I'm a history/education major, not math :)

Leg Extensions (rep range 8-12, rest 60 seconds)

125x12,11,11,10,10

Up 5 reps

Sated Calf (rep range 8-12, rest 45 seconds)

145x11,11,10,10,10

60 Degree Calf Machine (rep range 8-12, rest 45 seconds)

145x8,8,8,8

Slept very well last night. Must have been because I put my heat on some. Vasculaity seems improved and I don't know if it was the lighting today, but my quads seemed the look like there was more separation when I was doing extensions.

Nutrition - High Carb Day

Cals - 2,625
Protein - 224
Carbs - 312
Fiber - 48
Fat - 59
Sat - 12
Poly - 8
Mono - 16
​
 
My numbers are slowly rising. I can't complain. Realistically, I am at a VERY small surplus of calories, so strength gains won't come too fast. However, the mirror is looking good. Vascularity seems improved too. I'm really tempted to have a refeed day, or maybe on a high carb day lower my fat and protein and up the carbs. I'm a little flat and would love to see how I look full. Also, the other day, I saw a girl at the gym I talk to when we're they're at the same time. It was the first time she saw me since the log. She said to me, are you getting ready to compete right now? I said no why. She said I look a little bigger, but my face is a little sunk in and my taper is better :)
Nice man, love to hear that kind of feed back!
 
January 27, 2014

Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson/I]

Upper Power

Incline Bench (rep range 3-5, rest 3-5 minutes)

175x3,3,3

Military Press (rep range 6-8, rest 2-3 minutes)

115x6,6,6

Weighted Dips (rep range 6-8, rest 2-3 minutes)

BW+65x7,7,6

Up one rep

V Bar Pushdowns (rep range 6-8, rest 1 minute)

50x8,7,6

Barbell Row (rep range 3-5, rest 3-5 minutes)

185x3,3,3

Weighted Pullup (rep range 6-8, rest 2-3 minutes)

BW+15x6,6,6

T Bar Row (rep range 6-8, rest 2-3 minutes)

100x8,8,7

Done with 25 pound plates for a better contraction.

Barbell Shrugs (rep range 6-8, rest 1 minute)

315x6,6,6

Standing Dumbell Curl (rep range 6-8, rest 1 minute)

30x7,6,7

Alright, so you'll see most of the exercises have changed. It was my fifth week, so I went to my B workouts. I do this every 4 weeks. I may change this to 6 or 8 weeks. I feel like 4 is too short on heavy days because my body needs the first week to get used to that heavy exercise, of that makes sense. Also, weight was down to 149.6, a lose of .8 pounds from last week. I do .5 miles on the eliptical post workout, but have stopped that as of today. I will just do my normal cardio on Wednesday. Don't get me wrong, I am still making some gains, but feel like the cardio is hindering my growth. I'll see what happens and take it from there. Slept like a rock last night though. I increased cals on my high carb days this week.

Nutrition - Moderate Carb Day

Cals - 2,375
Protein - 223
Carbs - 230
Fiber - 47
Fat - 68
Sat - 11
Poly - 14
Mono - 29
​
 
Might not be a bad idea to at least do 6 weeks before changing up. I usually will do about 8 weeks before I make any big changes.
 
I have to say this is probably the best log I've seen on AM since I joined! Your doing a great job, keep it up!
 
Might not be a bad idea to at least do 6 weeks before changing up. I usually will do about 8 weeks before I make any big changes.

I was thinking 6-8. I will give it more thought. I am going to stick with this rotation for at least 5 more weeks then switch it up again.
 
I have to say this is probably the best log I've seen on AM since I joined! Your doing a great job, keep it up!

I appreciate it. As a logger, I should try my best to update and keep things orderly. That is the least I can do for the company.
 
January 28, 2014

To reach a port, we must sail—Sail, not tie at anchor—Sail, not drift. ~Franklin Roosevelt

Lower Hypertrophy Hamstring Dominant

Low Bar Back Squats (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

185x8,8,8,8,8

Roman Deadlift (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

1855x10,10,9,8,9

Lying Leg Curls (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

85x12,9,8

Seated Leg Curl (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

85x9,9,8

Standing Calf (rep range 8-12, rest 45 seconds)

180x10,10,9,8,8

60 Degree Calf Machine (rep range 8-12, rest 45 seconds)

145x8,8,8,8

Good session today. Had a serious pump going on, maybe to a pre workout dosing? I was doing the first dose first thing in the morning, but decided to give 30 minutes pre workout a shot. Sleep the past several nights has been amazing.

Nutrition - High Carb Day

Cals - 2,675
Protein - 224
Carbs - 325
Fiber - 50
Fat - 58
Sat - 9
Poly - 9
Mono - 17
​
 
Off day today. Just doing some homework now and then going to class later. Hamstrings are shot and so are calves. Probably because of switching from seated to standing raises.

Macros for the day are 223/148/58 P/C/F
 
January 30, 2014

Everyone has naturally the power of excelling in some one thing. ~Proverb

Pull Hypertrophy

Lat Pulldown (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

120x12,10,9

Hammerstrength Row (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

180x10,10,10

Standing, one arm at a time bracing myself against the chest pad with the free arm.

Wide Grip Behind the Neck Pulldown (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

85x10,10,10

Triangle Bar Pulldowns (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

100x9,9,9

Seated Machine Row (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

100x8,8,8

Overhand grip

Seated Machine Row (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

85x9,9,10

Used an underhand grip

Front Barbell Shrugs (rep range 8-12, rest 45 seconds)

245x10,9,9

Seated Dumbbell Curls (rep range 8-12, rest 60 seconds)

25x10,8,9

Seated Preacher Hammer Dumbbell Curls (rep range 8-12, rest 45 seconds)

17.5x9,8,9

Seated Hammerstrength Preacher Curls (rep range 8-12, rest 45 seconds)

35x9,8,8

Slept very well last night. I had an awesome pump today despite forgetting to take my first dose. I took it post workout since I didn't take it before. Foam rolling pre workout has really been beneficially too I think.

Nutrition - Moderate Carb Day

Cals - 2,375
Protein - 222
Carbs - 230
Fiber - 48
Fat - 68
Sat - 10
Poly - 13
Mono - 27
​
 
No surprise here, great update! How much of your bottle do you have left?

I think Tuesday is my last dose. I will post the final review on Saturday if that is fine with you. I want to make it decent at least, but have a test on Wednesday and Friday.
 
That will work! Thanks alot for all of your hard work good sir, looking forward to your review!
 
January 31, 2014

We must look for the opportunity in every difficulty instead of being paralyzed at the thought of the difficulty in every opportunity. ~Walter E. Cole

Push Hypertrophy

Flat DB Press (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

60x12,9,8

Incline DB Press (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

60x8,8,7 +2

Rested 2 minutes on the last set. I only got 7 reps so did a rest pause and got 2 more. I am going to lower the weight next week. I want to hit my rep range. Doig flat first really made this drop.

Hammerstrength Incline Press (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

90x9,9,10

Pec Deck (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

105x10,10,10

Seated Smith Behind the Neck Press (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

60x8,8,10,9

Done with a wide grip. All the way down to the bottom of the neck. Weight is plates only.

Standing Dumbbell Side Laterals (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

15x12,10,10,9

Reverse Pec Deck (rep range 8-12, rest 60 seconds)

115x11,10,9,9

Seated Behind the Neck EZ Bar Press (rep range 8-12, rest 60 seconds)

50x11,11,10

Straight Bar Cable Pressdowns (rep range 8-12, rest 60 seconds)

35x9,8,8

Rope Cable Pressdowns (rep range 8-12, rest 60 seconds)

20x8,8,8

Sleep again was amazing. I was happy with today's session, especially since it was an early morning one before work. Tomorrow's will be too. Next week, I am going to switch my pull day and push day around. My triceps felt tired. I know they are not really used in pulling, but they are used to come degree. I think that might be hindering my progress a little on pushing. Also, I know this was probably not the smartest move, but I asked my supervisor to go and grab a cup of coffee with me one day next week. We flirt a little said so I told myself why not. Will keep you posted on that as well. Finally, if you are looking for an awesome food, pick up French Toast flavored Goldfish. They are absolutely amazing and taste just like french toast with maple syrup. You can have them alone, or put them in cereal, sludge, and oatmeal. I had them in cinnamon sludge and cinnamon proats and it was soooooo good. I used cinnamon flavored protein powder.

Nutrition - Moderate Carb Day

Cals - 2,375
Protein - 223
Carbs - 230
Fiber - 48
Fat - 66
Sat - 11
Poly - 12
Mono - 28
​
 
February 1, 2014

The surest way not to fail is to determine to succeed. ~Richard Brinsley Sheridan

Legs Power (Quad Dominant)

Front Squat (rep range 3-5, rest 3-5 minutes)

155x4,4,4,4,5

Leg Press (rep range 6-8, rest 2-3 minutes)

450x6,7,6,6,7,6

First set was feet close together with heels off platform. Second was medium width with heels off. Third was wide was heels off, then repeat.

Leg Extensions (rep range 6-8, rest 2 minutes)

175x7,7,7,7,7

60 Degree Calf (rep range 6-8, rest 60 seconds)

180x8,8,7,7,7

Standing Calf (rep range 6-8, rest 60 seconds)

220x7,7,6,6

Front squats felt very easy. I will definitely go up next week. I didn't sleep well last night. I had a hard time falling asleep because I had too much on my mind. Woke up around 3 and didn't sleep too well after that. Still felt pretty good though, not lethargic at all. I'm tired now, but work was super busy today. Going to go to bed early tonight. I weighed myself for the hell of it today, not an official weigh in though and I will probably be less than what I was last week. If that is the case, I am going to increase my cals by 50 on 5 days this week and not just 2 or 3 days.

Nutrition - High Carb Day

Cals - 2,675
Protein - 223
Carbs - 325
Fiber - 48
Fat - 61
Sat - 11
Poly - 10
Mono - 24
​
 
February 3, 2014

I find that when we really love and accept and approve of ourselves exactly as we are, then everything in life works. ~Louise Hay

Upper Power

Flat Dumbbell Bench (rep range 3-5, rest 3-5 minutes)

75x5
80x4,4,3

Decided on my B weeks I am going to go heavy on DBs versus BB now. I get nervous going heavy alone on BB. Maybe once my strength is better, I will switch over. 75 felt easy, so I decide to do 3 sets of 80 for my working sets.

Military Press (rep range 6-8, rest 2-3 minutes)

115x6,6,7

Up one rep

Weighted Dips (rep range 6-8, rest 2-3 minutes)

BW+65x7,7,7

Up one rep

V Bar Pushdowns (rep range 6-8, rest 1 minute)

57.5x6,6,6

Heavier weight

Barbell Row (rep range 3-5, rest 3-5 minutes)

185x4,,4,4

Up three reps

Weighted Pullup (rep range 6-8, rest 2-3 minutes)

BW+15x7,7,7

Up three reps

T Bar Row (rep range 6-8, rest 2-3 minutes)

125x6,6,6

Done with 25 pound plates for a better contraction. Up 25 pounds

Barbell Shrugs (rep range 6-8, rest 1 minute)

315x7,7,6

Up two reps

Seated Dumbell Curl (rep range 6-8, rest 1 minute)

30x7,7,6

This week, I weighed in at 149.2, a little less...again. So, instead of just increasing cals by 50 on either moderate or low carb days this week, I am going to make the increase on all five days. So, instead of increasing cals by 100-150 for the week, it will be a total of 250. Strength is still going up a little though so I cannot complain. Also, my waist is pretty small, smaller than the beginning of the log.

Nutrition - Moderate Carb Day

Cals - 2,425
Protein - 222
Carbs - 242
Fiber - 47
Fat - 68
Sat - 11
Poly - 14
Mono - 28
​
 
Strength up, weight down a godsend for most, lol. I think upping your calls that amount will definitely help.
 
February 4, 2014

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. ~Rumi

Lower Hypertrophy Hamstring Dominant

Low Bar Back Squats (rep range 8-10, rest 60-90 seconds)

185x9,8,8,8,8

Up one rep

Roman Deadlift (rep range 8-10, rest 60-90 seconds)

195x9,9,8,8,8

Up 10 pounds

Lying Leg Curls (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

90x9,9,8

Up 5 pounds

Seated Leg Curl (rep range 8-12, rest 60-90 seconds)

85x10,9,9

Up 2 reps

Standing Calf (rep range 8-12, rest 45 seconds)

180x11,10,10,10,9

Seated Calf (rep range 8-12, rest 45 seconds)

135x11,10,10,10

Insane pump today, almost painful. Good workout overall. I was happy with it.

Nutrition - High Carb Day

Cals - 2,675
Protein - 223
Carbs - 325
Fiber - 51
Fat - 59
Sat - 10
Poly - 9
Mono - 18
​
 
Nice work sir! I thought Monday was your last day running alphamax?

No, I had an AM dose, but not PM. I don't know how that happened. I was going to possibly throw up the review today since classes got cancelled, but I spent all morning shoveling. Let me see how fa I get on studying today. If I get enough done, review will be up later, if not, then either Friday afternoon or Saturday!
 
Sounds good, thanks! I was out shivering and shoveling at 530 this morning
 
Alphamax Final Review

Strength: Strength increases were subtle, but that was not my main goal. All of my lifts went up in weight during the four weeks despite losing a pound in the four weeks. My goal was to put on a pound. Anyways, all things considered, I am happy with how Alphamax delivered in this department. 9/10

Pumps: I did not take it pre workout until the very end. My first dose was first thing in my morning. However, when I did dose two caps pre workout, I noticed a major increase in pumps. Sometimes even painful. 9/10

Sleep: Sleep quality was great. I would wake up only once, sometimes twice to use the bathroom. I would fall right back to sleep and felt very refreshed in the morning, even if I got less than 8 hours which I usually need to function. 10/10

Libido: Was increased, nothing incredibly high, but it was higher than normal. 7/10

Body Composition: I lost a pound, but look like I got bigger, at least that is what I was told by a gym goer that I talk with occassionally. Eerything seems bigger or the same size, but my waist is smaller. I am slightly more defined. 9/10

Misc: Other things I noticed were an increase in appetite, recovery seemed to be improved a little, and confidence/my sense of well being was also pretty high throughout the log.

Final Thoughts: I would suggest Alphamax to anyone looking for a test booster. It could be used while cutting, bulking, or recomping. Sleep quality definitely shine with this product. Pumps are solid when dosed pre workout. This is probably one of the better test boosters I have tried. Alphamax may not be too well known, but it should be. With a solid price and formula, you cannot ask for more. 9/10​
 
Thanks so much for the hard work on this log and for the detailed review! Glad that Alphamax worked so well for you! Could you please throw this review up in the review section for Alphamax as well when you get a chance?
 
Thanks so much for the hard work on this log and for the detailed review! Glad that Alphamax worked so well for you! Could you please throw this review up in the review section for Alphamax as well when you get a chance?

Ye sir, will do that now!
 
You sir are the man! Let me know if you get another log going, definitely enjoyed following along
 
Back
Top