2007 National Signing Day (I don't really care...)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
2007 National Signing Day

Let's talk recruiting.

Rankings:
ESPN.com - RECRUITING - Scouts Inc.: Rating the Top 25 classes
http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?SID=880
Scout.com: Football Recruiting

What'd ya think?

Most impressed with SC's class. The stars per player is higher than anything I remember seeing. Damn impressive.

I think looking at Miami's stars per player - 6th on Scout, 10th on Rivals, and unsure on ESPN - is just mind boggling to me. We went 7 and freaking 6 - had this whole Coker debacle hanging around and came out and filled (hopefully) big holes at Oline, QB, linebacker, speed on O (RB and special teams), and the secondary/WR's. We needed more than one LB though and another QB, I think. Would have preferred a TE also.

But - hell, I ain't gonna complain. This class was made all with having Randy Shannon as head coach for like a month and a week - at most.

Imagine what he'll do with the entire off-season? ;)

Last edited:

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
the U looks like it has a nice recruiting class, even though i am an OSU fan i appreciate the "aura" they have, they are an nfl talent producing machine... and i am a huge sean taylor fan, even though its a sham that he is in the pro bowl this year.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Didn't USC sign two Running backs? 1 and 3 on the ESPN rankings?

Or am I just making things up?

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
they got number 1, 2, and 3 apparently. that made them overtake florida for number 1

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
one and three were running backs, right?

or was the number 1 recruit the kid who is really versitile? WR, CB, RB...right?

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
by: Craig Haubert
posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2007 | Print Entry
filed under: USC Trojans

7:31 p.m.
USC entered Wednesday with the projected No. 2 class but wrapped up that day at No. 1 thanks to signing the top three players overall in the class. Florida's class was very deep, but you can't discount landing the top overall player in the country in RB Joe McKnight, who can step on campus and do a lot of things.

There can't be a better place for a guy compared to Reggie Bush to attend school. McKnight can help out as a running back or receiver and do a lot of things to help that offense continue to be explosive, especially with the loss of guys like Dwayne Jarrett.

LB Chris Galippo (Anaheim, Calif./Servite), the No. 2 overall player in the country and the No. 1-rated defensive player is an excellent football player. The Trojans' linebacker corps is already deep, but Galippo has the type of ability to step on the field next year and help, plus he's a pretty well-rounded player who has a good head on his shoulders.

Add to the mix RB Marc Tyler, who should be ready to go in the fall after breakin ghis leg last November, and QB Aaron Corp (Orange, Calf./ Lutheran), who could be sleeper in the quarterback class, and coach Pete Carroll has lined up a terrific class. USC might not have the numbers that some other schools do, but it does have extreme quality.

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
USC's class is impressive. UF's class is deep. Ron Zook pulled off something amazing for a 2-10 team. FSU pulled an ok class. Miami did better than I thought. UNC had a nice class. Noel Devine went to the right team, thats if he makes it to WVU. But, overall it really doesnt matter right now. I dont get too caught up in rankings, yes I root for FSU to pull the highest guys, but right now they havnt done anything. Most are men playing with boys. Some will prove themselves as freshmen, some you wont hear from again. Only time will tell with these guys.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Kev,
Wide Right IV - 10/20/07.

Heard it here first. :thumbsup:

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
Kev,
Wide Right IV - 10/20/07.

Heard it here first. :thumbsup:
I hope your wrong. I really dont know how either team will be next year, with all the changes going on with both programs. And we finally will see the game when players are in shape and not still trying to get their timing down. I also get to see it in person this year as well.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Urban Meyer has an interesting philosophy now. Get the best players in the country and have em enroll early, play them in their first year, help them graduate in 3 years, expect all juniors to leave early for the NFL.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I can't wait for September 15th (or so) 2008 at the Swamp. Canes come to town. Should be a barn burner. Gates will have a junior Tebow and Harvin and some of these kids will likely be starters - Wright and Deonte. Their D will have experience after having basically none in '07.

I just wish UF and UM could play more often.

(Actually - that "can't wait" isn't quite true. I really can't wait for 2010 in Columbus and the return trip in September 2011 at the OB. I am going to that game.)

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
I think UF-UM-FSU should always play each other every year. I wish all teams would play a tougher non conference schedule. USC had a great example last year, @Arkansas, Nebraska, ND and the last Pac-10 school. FSU's is pretty good this year @Colorado, @Bama(in Jax tho), @UF(of coarse) and UAB(Id rather see a BCS team). But that is better than most teams. I am sure there are harder ones out there, I havnt looked at all. But teams should at least play teams that will give them some respect instead of playing a bunch of 3-9 WAC teams. But I also dont mind if its a regional game such as UM-FIU, I can understand that. Teams can still win the champ. with 1 loss, and I bet it helps out the players more than playing Utah St.

EDIT: That was off topic, but anyone hear any news on McKnight and USC. Ive just heard about the conference call with Bush and Carrol, and then McKnight backed out of what he said. I dont think anything will come of this, but it is an interesting note how Bush keeps popping up in bad USC headlines.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont look too deeply into recruiting classes. I mean there are obviously the studs who got it done at major high schools that are good sign's, but its kinda hit or miss alot of times.

A great example is Justin Zwick and Troy Smith. Zwick top High school QB in the country and Smith came in as a 3star athlete. 4 years later Zwick has a handful of games played and Smith has a heisman trophy.

I know this isn't your everyday occurance but stil some of these huge hyped guys played against sub par competition. Like Mike Hart played in Divion 8 in pensylvania which is almost like playing with the blind and def. Now he did run for 11,000 yards in 4 years but stil who knew how good he do at the next level.

I just think it has gotten over hyped where 17/18 yr. olds are haveing nationaly broadcasted press conference's.....I mean common'

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
so true...troy barely got the last scholarship that year and started out as a runningback/kick returner, high school and college are very different

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
DW - you are right. Look at Marshall Faulk - not rated all that high, but the 3 FLA schools would only let him play D-back - so off to SDSU he went.

Sean Taylor, Ed Reed, Jon Vilma, Dan Morgan, Warren Sapp - all not really that highly rated (SeanTay was 3 to 4 star - but played in Hart's equivalent in south FLA - lowest class against no comp).

But - if you look at the % of guys that make it big - 5 stars give the biggest chance. The busts are big news - but more of them do make it big/are stars than 3 or 4 star guys - or lower.
That said - rankings don't mean ****. Otherwise - we'd have never seen Santana Moss playing for a D-1A school.

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
That said - rankings don't mean ****. Otherwise - we'd have never seen Santana Moss playing for a D-1A school.
What was he ranked coming out of HS? All I know is that Miami bent the rules for him and gave him a "track" scholarship so they could get him.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
2 or 3 star. Butch did do that. He came in '97 - the last year of scholarship reductions. Butch took advantage. He was good at maneuvering within the rules at the time. (That loophole has since been closed.) Probably important to note he was only on a track scholarship for a year.

I'm sure any team in the SEC/rest of the US would do the same if afforded the opportunity.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DW - you are right. Look at Marshall Faulk - not rated all that high, but the 3 FLA schools would only let him play D-back - so off to SDSU he went.

Sean Taylor, Ed Reed, Jon Vilma, Dan Morgan, Warren Sapp - all not really that highly rated (SeanTay was 3 to 4 star - but played in Hart's equivalent in south FLA - lowest class against no comp).

But - if you look at the % of guys that make it big - 5 stars give the biggest chance. The busts are big news - but more of them do make it big/are stars than 3 or 4 star guys - or lower.
Yes sir, I was just trying to make the point that u stated above. Rankings dont mean SH*T!!!! And thats why i hate seeing these "kids" have national press confrences to declare where they're gonna go and maybe not play much for a year or two....sh*t or maybe even 3.

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
2 or 3 star. Butch did do that. He came in '97 - the last year of scholarship reductions. Butch took advantage. He was good at maneuvering within the rules at the time. (That loophole has since been closed.) Probably important to note he was only on a track scholarship for a year.

I'm sure any team in the SEC/rest of the US would do the same if afforded the opportunity.

Haha yea, didn't mean to sound like i was bashing Miami for bending the rules, all programs do it. However i would like to know how all of the players somehow drive escalades...

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Man - anyone that claims their school doesn't have someone behind the scenes paying players is a f*cking idiot.

It goes on at big time football programs. I saw enough at Tennessee to know it was happening there.
I mean - when a dude comes from BFE, Alabama - and YOU KNOW his family ain't got sh*t yet he's riding in a new Escalade - yeah, he ain't gettin' paid. :fool2:
(The Clausen's are another story - that family has money.)

It's ALL about A) being stupid enough to get caught or B) being on the NCAA's sh*t list (I.E. Alabama, Miami, and SMU - doubt you'll see USC or Tennessee while Fulmer is there ever get caught for much of anything).