2 days per week

Hypnotic traveling

Hypnotic traveling

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Unfortunately I can only manage to get into the gym 2x per week until winter. I’m a bridge painter and our work is physically demanding, that paired with Having three kids makes time and energy levels rather limited. My Calculated maxes are BP-258 squat-330 ohp-139 deadlift-358. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Unfortunately I can only manage to get into the gym 2x per week until winter. I’m a bridge painter and our work is physically demanding, that paired with Having three kids makes time and energy levels rather limited. My Calculated maxes are BP-258 squat-330 ohp-139 deadlift-358. Any ideas? Thanks!
Jim Wendler has written some two days a week training material.

D1 Squat, bench press, assistance work
D2 Deadlift, overhead press, assistance work

If you ever find yourself with an extra day during the week, you can always add in any light extra work you see fit, even bodyweight.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Jim Wendler has written some two days a week training material.

D1 Squat, bench press, assistance work
D2 Deadlift, overhead press, assistance work

If you ever find yourself with an extra day during the week, you can always add in any light extra work you see fit, even bodyweight.
Do this. 2 days is very manageable and you can expect some decent results, I know it may not be the best, but I know many who have success here. It always depends on your situation so I wouldn't stress about losing any gains you can still make some, it may just feel a bit different than if you are used to higher amounts of work.

Hypnotic traveling

Hypnotic traveling

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for your replies. I’m actually using Wendler 2 day. I was just exploring other options. So being that my frequency is low, is it reasonable to think that I can recover from endless amounts of work in the gym? Yesterday I did:
Squat 5/3/1 + first set last (225x5x5)
Bench 5/3/1 + first set last (175x5x5)
Leg curls on machine 120x20,15,12
Chin ups bwx16,9,8
Flat Dumbbell bp 65x20,15,12
Hammer curls 40x8,8,8
Tricep pushdowns 180x15,12,10
Is this too much considering my frequency?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for your replies. I’m actually using Wendler 2 day. I was just exploring other options. So being that my frequency is low, is it reasonable to think that I can recover from endless amounts of work in the gym? Yesterday I did:
Squat 5/3/1 + first set last (225x5x5)
Bench 5/3/1 + first set last (175x5x5)
Leg curls on machine 120x20,15,12
Chin ups bwx16,9,8
Flat Dumbbell bp 65x20,15,12
Hammer curls 40x8,8,8
Tricep pushdowns 180x15,12,10
Is this too much considering my frequency?
Recover from endless amounts of work in the gym? No. You're also going to build up fatigue throughout the session. As for wondering if it's too much, that all depends on all the other variables of recovery. Fatigue from work, your amount of sleep, totality of your training volume, the intensity of your sets, etc.

The response you want to hear: Nah, it doesn't look like too much if it were me in your situation.

Good article on training volume. Just some good info to intake.

Hypnotic traveling

Hypnotic traveling

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for your response. Endless was a bit of an exaggeration, I meant recover from a considerable amount of work considering The frequency. With 4 days to recover between training weeks, I thought maybe I could push harder when I do train but perhaps that idea is counterproductive.

Honestly, sleep could be better(5-7 hours per night), many days are long and grueling (between 10 and 14 hours), intensity is honestly balls to the wall most of the time, and it appears my volume is rather high as well. Seeing all of that on paper looks like a recipe for disaster. I’ll take a look at that article for sure.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
You'll have to experiment there. Nobody can tell you what is too much for your body or how taxing your day to day life is. You can certainly still make progress with a physically demanding lifestyle you just have to keep things in perspective.

Datsun280z

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Just looked up the Jim wendler template. I may adopt this as well thank you

I do remember Dave Draper had a two day a week program with an optional added accessory grip work day. I think it was in his might and muscle tracking log book