2 Bench questions

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Bench is and has always been my hardest lift to add weight in. Ive recently moved up in squats and deads but nothing in benches. My weaknesses are at the bottom of the movement and dropping it to my chest faster. I figure I will do some speed work but:

What are some good things to add to a workout to get off the chest?

Anything other than speed work to get the arms(particularly the the bicep insertions to the shoulder and elbow joints it seems) more comfortable bringing larger weight down to my chest?

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As with everyone, my first response is this:

How's your technique? An honest evaluation of your technique is first needed before implementing anything else.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
As with everyone, my first response is this:

How's your technique? An honest evaluation of your technique is first needed before implementing anything else.
Hmmm, well I can tell you now I don't get the arch of a power lifter. I try to go by what I read and see like on the net. I couldn't honestly tell you with certainty. I will ask wifey to film my bench next week.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you want your bench to increase, then you go to the source of information from the big benchers. The amount of arch is relative to each person, but you still need to place a great deal of pressure of the traps and retract the spacula.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Maybe it's time to rewatch the "so you think you can bench" series. Start over from the feet up.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When done properly, benching is very painful. It takes more out of me than anything, especially while in a shirt. I can't do more than 3-5 reps without cramping in my lumbar once I get above 315 and my mid-back is sore the day after from the static hold while benching.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am working and continue to work towards more leg drive, unracking the bar and keeping my lats engaged, etc, but by your description though I don't think those muscles are engaged enough. I saw Tate putting bands on his arms to force his arms to pull apart, I know that is hard when I get close to max weight. I am gonna read and watch videos and just go in with a clear cut plan.

It would be nice if there was an equivalent to box squats for bench.

stillnatural

stillnatural

Awards
You should get a slingshot if you have the money.it helps you keep your arms tucked for good form and it can be used to overload.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You should get a slingshot if you have the money.it helps you keep your arms tucked for good form and it can be used to overload.
I actually have one and haven't used it in awhile. Maybe I'll try some heavier sets at the end with it. Thanks brotha

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Eat more..Always helps me break a plateau
Have been. Making gains everywhere else in the past few months. But found some weaknesses today and as discussed with Rodja I am gonna check out form again.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IME, the SS makes you overtuck the elbows and bring the bar really low. It's partially because where it sits on your arms. I prefer the Titan Ram.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Is threre a video of you benching we can see he help you out? If you can get a video of you doin 5-8 reps we can see where your lacking and need help.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is threre a video of you benching we can see he help you out? If you can get a video of you doin 5-8 reps we can see where your lacking and need help.

I appreciate it, and I will try and get my girl to tape me benching this week. I watched the "so you think you can bench" series again and already see some problems.

I'll try and get one up soon. Thanks brotha

schroedes

schroedes

Awards
Personally, i made the biggest gains in my bench when i worked my back and checked my form

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Alright, I wad critiqued by a guy who competed for years(just establishing respect for his opinion) and he had me start further off the bench. He pointed out a major problem. My shoulders lift at the top of the movement.

I will eventually post a video if need be but I figure I should fix the mistakes I know I am making first. :blog:

Thanks for all the help though fellas.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
? Start further off your bench? What's that mean....

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
? Start further off your bench? What's that mean....

My bad. Usually I would get my feet under me with my head off the top of the bench and move forward to get that arch and have pressure on my traps. He moved me so almost half my back was hanging off the bench with my feet planted and then slide forward. He was helping me not raise my shoulders and develop more arch. Before he walked away he said "now you just took three inches off your range of motion...that's how you bench heavy."

Hope that makes sense.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
A arch is go for PL style benching not for BBing, meaning it's good for strength not for size.

I'd still like to see video of your bench now, before you make changes to it.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Like I said I will get one up.

I am training for strength and eating for size. My assistance work has more bodybuilding rep ranges.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Ok, bro... But you said you would do it after you fixed your problems. I asked for one now to is if your trying to fix the wrong problems...

Which ever way you put it up, before or after is up too you. I'm only trying to help.... I know a thing or 2 about benching And PLn in general.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ok, bro... But you said you would do it after you fixed your problems. I asked for one now to is if your trying to fix the wrong problems...

Which ever way you put it up, before or after is up too you. I'm only trying to help.... I know a thing or 2 about benching And PLn in general.

I got one with me trying fast reps with micro minis at the moment I can get up soon. Otherwise I gotta wait to get taped again. Let me know and I can put it up...otherwise I need another vid which will take like a week(I work a weird schedule).

I appreciate it.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
EDIT: I don't know how to post vids on this forum. ****
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8NSPE7avkk

I understand this isn't much weight as I was trying to use micro mini bands for the first time and going for speed...and I didn't think I would be posting a video of it but if I can get help I'll take it.

Like I said, I can get a normal bench video up, it will just take some more time. In all honesty the most I ever used is 225 for a rep and 235 for reps with a sling shot(last week). I failed at 235(which didn't feel super heavy/thought I could do it) which is why I made this thread. I am moving up in squats and deads...not in bench so far. :blog:

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd say that I notice your body rocking back and forth parallel with the bench. One thing would be to make sure that you set up feeling a ton of pressure on your traps from the start. Your arch is mostly in the lower back, and not as much in the upper back. Another thing that will make your base more sturdy is driving your heels into the ground the whole time. It's hard to press big weight if the foundation isn't sturdy.

Edit: On a second watching, it looks to me like your feet were kinda just chillin.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'd say that I notice your body rocking back and forth parallel with the bench. One thing would be to make sure that you set up feeling a ton of pressure on your traps from the start. Your arch is mostly in the lower back, and not as much in the upper back. Another thing that will make your base more sturdy is driving your heels into the ground the whole time. It's hard to press big weight if the foundation isn't sturdy.
I greatly appreciate the constructive criticism. I was aware that I need to sturdy the feet but not about the arch being lower back dominant. It will be another thing I keep in mind as I try to fix this.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I greatly appreciate the constructive criticism. I was aware that I need to sturdy the feet but not about the arch being lower back dominant. It will be another thing I keep in mind as I try to fix this.
When I set up (and this is directly from "so you think you can bench"), I lay on the bench, put my feet on the bench, bridge really high, pick up my upper body by the bar, set it on my upper traps, try to put my ass as close to my shoulders as I humanly can, and then frantically kick my feet as far toward my head as I can. You'll likely cramp in your hips and somewhere in your lower traps if you do it right. And for that, I recommend foam rolling.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yea I have watched that video series twice...once right after this thread. Maybe I'll watch some again right before next bench. Good info herderdude.

Oh, I am addicted to foam rolling haha

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea I have watched that video series twice...once right after this thread. Maybe I'll watch some again right before next bench. Good info herderdude.

Oh, I am addicted to foam rolling haha
Good man! You won't be feeling too bad, then. After I started arching, I had to grab PVC from the burning pile on my last job site, or I would've quit arching. I still feel it in my whole upper back when I do max effort with a bench shirt.

Try to make sure you're stacking your hands over your wrists over your elbows, too. I imagine that will be a more minor hindrance to your maximum weight than the stability. You got this, go out and crush it next time!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks brotha!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whatever trap tightness you had at the beginning was lost when you took the bar out of the rack. You're supposed to pull the bar out like a straight arm pulldown and not literally lift the bar up and then bring it out. As for the actual press, you're pushing the bar away from you instead of envisioning pushing yourself into the bench. This is the reason you kinda pop off the bench at the top of the rep. This movement helps to engage the lats and maintain tightness in the traps.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Whatever trap tightness you had at the beginning was lost when you took the bar out of the rack. You're supposed to pull the bar out like a straight arm pulldown and not literally lift the bar up and then bring it out. As for the actual press, you're pushing the bar away from you instead of envisioning pushing yourself into the bench. This is the reason you kinda pop off the bench at the top of the rep. This movement helps to engage the lats and maintain tightness in the traps.
After that gentlemen the other day said my shoulders keep lifting I was thinking that I am losing my back on the movement. I pretty much workout alone so I am starting(end of last workout and now moving forward) to try and find a safe place to "pull" the bar out as you are saying. I will say I was having trouble figuring that out.

Once I get to where I think I have good form I will video again...without micro mini bands. Thanks Rodja

Edit: I do have trouble envisioning the press correctly. More to work on.

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great tips guys