10x4 vs 12x3, which do you like more and why?

MrBumboclart

Awards
And what are the pros and cons of using the different rep and set ranges?

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
One of the hardest questions to answer. I have heard low reps for strength and high reos for definition. I also heard it doesnt matter and its all diet. So im trying to say that your question is going to have to truely be answered by yourself for yourself with practice. I like to build myself up one week 3 sets 8 6 4... next week 9 7 5.. thsn 10 8 6.. tham bump up weight.. This has always worked for me

niZmo

niZmo

Awards
It's all about your body, nothing else..I can tell you that 50 reps x3 works wonders for me, but doesn't necessarily mean you will get the same results.
But if I had to choose, Volume/Intensity over reps hands down.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
3 reps to failure will be about 90-93% of your 1RM. doing 12 sets gets you 36 total reps. according to prilepins table at that percentage you should be doing 1-2 reps for 4-10 total reps with an optimal number of reps of 7.

4 reps to failure will be about 87-90% of your 1RM. doing 10 sets gets you 40 total reps. according to prilepins table at that percentage you should be doing 2-4 reps for 10-20 total reps with an optimal number of reps of 15.

thats if you want to go to failure for each set. likely you will be going lighter from the start. really the differences will be minimal. the only slight difference i see is if you need more volume or strength for that movement. even then the difference will be minimal. this what i like to call majoring in the minors. being so concerned about the details that you miss the obvious; lift hard, rest hard, eat hard, grow to match your goals.