Polynomial's "let's get strong for fun and profit" log

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
I have a keyboard and I work out so I'm gonna start a workout log. Any comments are always appreciated.

I started lifting on May 11th, 2007 with a 135x5 squat, 52.5x5 dumbbell bench, and a 155 deadlift. I've been following a mix of 5x5 and starting strength until I recently became stuck on most of my lifts for the second time.

My recent PR's are (as of 11-16-07)

Squat: 265x2 (or 250x5, whichever is better)
Dumbbell bench: 80x5
Press: 125x5
Dead: 335x4
Power clean: Around 170

As of Monday I will be following something that resembles the Texas Method:

Monday
Squat 5X5
Bench Press 5X5
Power Clean (5X3) (or Row)

Wednesday
Front Squat 3X3
Press 5X5
Back Extension/GHR
Chin ups

Friday
Squat 1X5
Bench Press
1X5
or 5X3
or 5X2
or 5X1
Dead Lift 1X5

The idea is to improve on Moday 5x5's and the Friday PR's.

My only supplements are creatine and vaginas.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday 11-21-07

This was kind of messing around while I transition to the new routine.

Squat: 45x5 135x3 185x3 205x3 225x3 245x2 265x2 265x2
Press: 45x5 95x3 115x5x5
Chin-ups(bodyweight): 2x8 1x7
Rack Pulls(right below the knee): 225x4 315x2 335x3

Overall this seemed pretty easy, except for the press. I used wrist wraps on the last 3 sets, which seemed to ease the pain.

When reracking after the rack pulls I made the mistake of taking all the plates off of one side....yeah, it made a bit of noise.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
What is your height and weight? Never tried a routine like the one you're doing, interested to see your results. You've made amazing progess in the last 6 months. At this rate you'll be deadlifting 700 by next summer! Do you train with Jas, or you might know him as "Big Dogg"?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Good to see that you have a log. I've never seen the Texas Method before. Looks like a good selection of exercises and a nice level of volume.

I would probably add in 3 more days to devote solely to biceps though. :twisted:

Are you just using the standard creatine monohydrate or something more exotic? Are using standard vagina or something more exotic?

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
What is your height and weight? Never tried a routine like the one you're doing, interested to see your results. You've made amazing progess in the last 6 months. At this rate you'll be deadlifting 700 by next summer! Do you train with Jas, or you might know him as "Big Dogg"?
I started at 6'1 165lbs. Now I'm at about 185, but trying to lose a bit of fat. I don't train with Big D-o-double-g but I see him around the department almost daily. The amazing progress is newbie gains...I wish it had continued, but alas..

This particular routine was written by Mark Rippetoe, the coauthor of Starting Strength and Practical Programming for Strength Training.

See this post inside this thread for a much better writeup.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
I would probably add in 3 more days to devote solely to biceps though. :twisted:
I'll work that in between the c0ck push-ups and mirror sessions.

Are you just using the standard creatine monohydrate or something more exotic? Are using standard vagina or something more exotic?
Standard creatine monohydrate, usually in a protein shake with skim milk. I should probably follow directions and dissolve the creatine in some hot water and down it with carbs.

At the moment standard vagina when available. Sometimes I think about possibly trying some different producers, though. Maybe Undergrad Labs? I hear their stuff is always fresh.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Friday 11-23-07

I will not officially start the routine that I mentioned until this Monday, but I tried to do the Friday day anyway.

Body weight: 184.2
Squats: 45x5 135x5 185x5 205x3 235x2 255x5 (PR)
Dumbbell Bench: 50x5 60x4 70x3 80x3 80xfail
Deadlift: 135x5 225x4 275x2 345x4 (PR)
Light cardio: 10 minutes on the elliptical
Random crap: power clean form practice with the bar

The good gym was closed so I had to go to the crappy gym (CRCE for those in the area). The problem with CRCE is that the plates aren't round; they're more like an octagon. This makes deadlifts suck as the weight shifts unpredictably when you put it down. Speaking of putting it down, I tried to keep it quieter which meant slower descent and more back work. Oh well, a new PR, so I'm not complaining.

I've been trying to set the bar lower on my back during squats for the lighter sets and that seemed to work like magic: more vertical torso, better control, etc. I wasn't able to do that on the heavier weights, so my form suffered on the 255x5. This makes me want to be cautious on Monday and maybe start with 215x5x5 while trying to keep the bar low.

Overall I'm pretty content except for the fact that something hurts under my left lower rib. I think that maybe the belt squeezed me too tight at the bottom of the deadlift.

No pain means no gain, no swole, no vaginas. That's my motto and I'm sticking to it.

Sidenote: one of the regulars at the good gym that was forced to work out at CRCE today pointed me to the sign that states that no deadlifts, snatches and cleans are allowed. He also mentioned that the staff here don't know what any of these lifts are. At that point I came up with an alternate name for snatches: overhead olympic barbell curls.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice work with the PR's. You've really made some amazing progress over the last 6 months and have taken quite an intelligent approach to training. I kind of wish that I could teach my 14 year old self (age I started lifting) a bunch stuff and see where I'd be at now. I didn't know anyone who trained then so I just tried to teach myself.

I'm guessing you'll pull 405 a little after the new year which is pretty impressive.

CRCE is everything that's wrong with "fitness". The only good thing about it is that I'm pretty sure more hotties workout there than the other places.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, man. I wish that I could tell my 14 year old self the same thing (I was a fatty in high school).

Yeah, CRCE might have more eye candy, but my mantra is "PRs before hoes!"

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
nice progress so far. interested to see how this program works for you. I did something similiar in my early training days and it worked well for progressing at that stage.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Monday 11-26-07

Warm-up sets are in parenthesis.

Body weight: 184.6
Squat: (45x5 135x5 185x4) 215x5 215x5 215x5 205x5 205x5
Dumbbell Bench: (50x5) 70x5 70x5 70x4 70x5 70x5
Power Cleans: (110x2) 154x3 140x3 140x3 140x3 140x3 174x1 (for fun)

I had some fillings done in the morning, so I went in the afternoon.

Overall, not bad. My form was breaking down on the squats so I took the weight down. I think that the goal for the next two weeks is to do 215x5x5 with good form.

Power cleans felt pretty easy and I probably could have done more weight, but it's still hard for me to predict how I'll fell after the next set. Before starting I warmed up by jumping without the bar a couple of times, so that I really get a feel for how to explode from the hips. Then I started to jump with the bar without racking it, and finally full power cleans. That kind of a warm-up made a world of difference in my form as my explosions were a lot more powerful than before. The 174x1 was done at the end just for fun, and it's a new PR.

Not bad, I just have to make sure that I keep my squat form up to par.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
nice progress so far. interested to see how this program works for you. I did something similiar in my early training days and it worked well for progressing at that stage.
Thanks! I hope that I can ride this program for a couple of weeks at a time.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
How low do you keep the bar on your back/traps when doing squats? I know some people have flexibility issues. Can you keep it more on the rear delts?

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
How low do you keep the bar on your back/traps when doing squats? I know some people have flexibility issues. Can you keep it more on the rear delts?
I mostly keep it on top of my traps. Recently I tried to keep it on my rear delts but I haven't been successful with finding a good spot. I found this video which might be helpful:

Now that I saw this it's very strange that I thought that my torso could be more vertical with lower bar placement...hmm. I'm gonna have to experiment with this.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I switched to the lowbar position a while back and it's made a massive difference for me. My shoulder's are really flexible so it doesn't bother me too much. I think with the highbar position you are resting the bar on top of a surface so you stay more vertical. With the lowbar, you are resting the bar at more of an angled down surface so the bar would have momentum downward as you lower the weight. Thus, you lean forward more. Also with the highbar, you have more torque downward so you can't lean forward too far. I lean way far forward maybe too far, but it keeps my hips back and takes stress off my knees. My back might make a 20-30 degree angle with the floor at the bottom (of course I can't really tell).

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
I switched to the lowbar position a while back and it's made a massive difference for me. My shoulder's are really flexible so it doesn't bother me too much. I think with the highbar position you are resting the bar on top of a surface so you stay more vertical. With the lowbar, you are resting the bar at more of an angled down surface so the bar would have momentum downward as you lower the weight. Thus, you lean forward more. Also with the highbar, you have more torque downward so you can't lean forward too far. I lean way far forward maybe too far, but it keeps my hips back and takes stress off my knees. My back might make a 20-30 degree angle with the floor at the bottom (of course I can't really tell).
I've always had a feeling that maybe my hamstrings/hip aren't flexible enough. I kept hearing from someone that you want to be pretty vertical, but I guess as long as you keep the weight over your heels then it doesn't matter? Then again, that guy that told me that seems to have no idea as to what he's talking about.

Maybe it's time for another camera run. When are you guys doing squats next? Also, did you get some good chalk or do you want me to bring you some tomorrow if I remember?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
We're doing squats tomorrow at 7. It might be nice to see them. I think I'll try to not use the mirror tomorrow. If you remember, chalk would be great!

EDIT: Make that 8:30 tomorrow.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday 11-28-07

Body weight: 183.8
Front Squats: (45x5 135x5) 155x3x3
Press: (45x5 95x3) 120x5 120x3 115x5 115x5 115x4
Back extensions: {25lbs}x8x3
Chin-ups: {bw+10lbs}x5 {bw+20lbs}x5 {bw+15lbs}x5 {bw}x5 {bw}x5

Today was supposed to be a 'light' day, I think, but I still definitely felt Monday's workout when going to the gym. Sounds to me like it'll take some time to adjust to the new volume.

I didn't use a belt on the front squats and my back was still a bit sore so I took it easy with the weight.

My wrists weren't in the greatest shape after the front squats, and I didn't wear wraps for the first two sets of the press. They definitely seem to make a difference so maybe I'll start wearing them for all but one set. I also couldn't find the damn 1.25lb magnets, so I got stuck doing either 120 or 115 as opposed to trying 117x5x5.

If I'm using chin-ups as a good source of back work, does anyone have an opinion on doing either 5 sets of 5 vs 3 sets of 8?

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Friday 11-30-07

Body weight: 183.6
Squats: (45x5 135x5 205x2 225x2) 265x4 (PR)
Dumbbell Bench: (50x5 70x3) 80x6 (PR)
Deadlift: (145x5 225x5 275x1) 350x3 (PR)

Overall, not bad. My form on the squats and deadlifts suffered at the end, so I'm gonna keep the same weights next Friday until I can get a set of 5 reps with good form...hopefully that'll happen next week.

The soreness from Monday seems to have worn off, but I was definitely doing a lot more shaking after my lifts. I'm also surprised at the drop in bodyweight since I pretty much ate half of campus town yesterday. I should really work on my diet.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
You're a little shorter than me, but I think their is some sort of a plateau deal at around 180-190. Once you break through that I think you'll soar to the 210 range quickly. Then you'll likely be stuck again for a while. That's how it seemed to work with me and some friends of mine. I have to figure out how to get past the 230-235 range, and keep it quality.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I have to figure out how to get past the 230-235 range, and keep it quality.
I'd say that gallons of Beam, not lifting, and making terrible MMA predictions will help so stick with it. :stick:

Poly's 6'1'', I think, so I believe he's got you by a "smidge". Did you think that was him in the video?

I also stalled at 210 for a while.

Nice PR's Poly!

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Monday 12-3-07

My convention is {weight}x{reps}x{sets}.

Body weight: 183.6
Squats: (45x5 135x5 135x5 205x2) 210x5x5
Dumbbell Bench: (50x5) 75x5x3 70x4x2
Power Cleans: (110x2) 145x3x5 184x1 (PR)

Everything is starting to feel much better. 210 was a very nice choice for the squats as my form was quite good and I was getting a really nice rebound at the bottom on a lot of reps.

I wish that I could find some magnetic weights for the dumbbell bench because I'm pretty sure that I could've done 72.5x5x5, but I still went up in volume and intensity from last week, so I'm not complaining.

My power cleans are looking pretty good. Another comrade (Jeff) was hanging around the gym and said that during my just-for-fun 184x1 power clean the bar went up so high that it looked like a 90% 1RM lift, rather than 100% 1RM.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday 12-5-07

Body weight: 182.8
Front squats: (45x5x2 135x3) 165x3x3
Press: (45x5 95x3) 120x5x3 120x4 115x5
Back extension: {bw+35}x5 {bw}x8x2
Chin-ups: {bw+25}x5 {bw}x8x2

The front squats felt good (I take it easy with the weight on Wednesdays), and the press went up from last week. I'm pretty happy.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'd say that gallons of Beam, not lifting, and making terrible MMA predictions will help so stick with it. :stick:

Poly's 6'1'', I think, so I believe he's got you by a "smidge". Did you think that was him in the video?

I also stalled at 210 for a while.

Nice PR's Poly!
Ah you're right, looks like he has me by .56 inches. I'm pretty sure you've done worse overall than me on MMA predictions, the other sh*t you've got me on. I hope Undergrad Labs finest shuts you down, fvckface.

Poly, do you follow MMA? If so, join us in the MMA section.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Friday 12-7-07

Body weight: 184.4
Squats: (45x5 135x5 135x3 185x3 185x2 225x2x2 245x1) 265x4
Dumbbell Bench: (60x3 70x3) 85xfail 80x3 80xfail ???
Deadlift: (135x5 275x2) 350x1 ???

I couldn't imagine today sucking any more. I woke up at 10am with my back hurting from the way I slept, and I was in the gym by 11am. I hope that this is why today sucked, as opposed to having too high a volume on Monday.

But yes,
:whiner:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Ouch man that blows. Everyone has one of those days every once and a while.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Monday 12-10-07 - Week 3

My convention is {weight}x{reps}x{sets}.

Body weight: 186.6
Squats: (45x5 135x5 185x5) 215x5x5
Dumbbell Bench: (45x5 60x4) 75x5x4 70x3
Power Cleans: (warm-up, 110x2) 154x3 150x3x4

I went up on everything. My squat form is improving immensely, as are my power cleans. My girlfriend came with and I asked her to tell me if I'm aligned with the bar on my squats, since the squat rack only half-way in front of a mirror, and it turned out that I was way off. Damn, no wonder I had a strange pain in the left side of my back.

Dumbbell bench is going up as well, since last week I could only get 75x5x3.

Overall, awesome workout.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
186.6 ! :donut: :lol:

Nice work. Those squats are really coming along.

Girlfriend again, eh? You guys are crazy, but whatever makes you happy.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
186.6 ! :donut: :lol:

Nice work. Those squats are really coming along.

Girlfriend again, eh? You guys are crazy, but whatever makes you happy.
That's one ripped donut, I say.

Crazy? Yes. That's... that's about it :)

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
lookin good. keep at it.

EDIT: i can't train with my wife around...i'm kind of loud and obnoxious. But I've heard many people do better when girlfriend or wife watch as they mentally have something in back of mind to impress them.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday 12-12-07 - Week 3

Body weight: 185.0 :pizza:
Front squats: (45x5x2 135x3) 155x3x3
Press: (45x5 95x3) 120x5x3 120x5
Back Extensions: {bw}x8x2
Chin-ups: {bw}x8x2

I feel like I'm coming down something, so I took it easy. It's good to see that my press strength didn't go down from last week.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Friday 12-14-07 - Week 3

Body weight: 185.6
Squats: (45x6 45x5 135x3 185x3 225x3 245x2) 265x4
Dumbbell Bench: (40x5 55x5 75x3) 82.5x3 82.5x4 (PR)
Deadlifts: (135x5 225x3 315x1 - all overhand grip) 350x4 (PR)

My form on the heavy squats was much better than last Friday, so I'll say that those 265x4's are a new PR. I had another rep left in me but I felt that the form was going to suck on that one.

I think that my upper/midback is bending slightly on the deadlifts - at least that's what the gf said - so I'll have to get jas123 or someone to check out my form.

I kind of think that my core (and by that I mean abs and lower back) isn't as strong as it should be, so I'll gladly take some recommendations on how to strengthen that without affecting my routine too greatly.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sure, I'll check it out some time. You're setting a lot of PR's so keep up the good work.

As far as core strengthening, the strongman stuff really helped me. I'll have to think about something that might help you though.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Sure, I'll check it out some time. You're setting a lot of PR's so keep up the good work.

As far as core strengthening, the strongman stuff really helped me. I'll have to think about something that might help you though.
Thanks, Big Dogg.

Also, I went to Sam's Club today. Check this shiat out:
Chunk Light Tuna in Water - 10 cans: 5.88
3 Lbs of Salmon Fillets (about 7 of them): 18.84
6.5 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast: 14.88
3 9oz packs of sliced over roasted turkey: 6.42
6 cartons of "smart eggs": 8.68

Good luck tomorrow. I expect you to be wearing some kind of a strongman medal on Monday.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
lookin good. keep at it.

EDIT: i can't train with my wife around...i'm kind of loud and obnoxious. But I've heard many people do better when girlfriend or wife watch as they mentally have something in back of mind to impress them.
Here's a conversation that occurred today before my max deadlift and right after hers:

- insert random crap causing both of us to be cranky -
Me: I cheered you on during your lifts.
Her: So you want me to do that for you?
Me: No, I just want you to not piss me off before I start lifting.

We ended up laughing it off, but I just wanted to say that I'm not out there to impress her :)

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Monday 12-17-07 - Week 4

Body weight: 187.5
Squats: (45x5 135x5 185x3 205x1) 220x5x5 (PR)
Dumbbell Bench: (40x5 55x5) 75x5x5 (PR)
Power Cleans: (110x2 140x2) 154x3x3 151x3x2 184x1 (tied PR)

and tiny bit of ab work and a farmer's walk with 85's around the small gym.

Overall, not bad. The dumbbell bench started off feeling pretty heavy, so I took a slightly longer break and came back strong.

My concern is that my power cleans won't be moving up very quickly as I'm usually very beat up by the time I get to them. Maybe when I get to some reasonable squat numbers I'll change things up and put some focus on the cleans.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
gotta love it when your hitting lots of PR's. agreed on your thoughts with the cleans.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
My concern is that my power cleans won't be moving up very quickly as I'm usually very beat up by the time I get to them. Maybe when I get to some reasonable squat numbers I'll change things up and put some focus on the cleans.
That sounds like a good idea. Cleans don't beat up my legs too bad so you could do them after for sure. I've done snatches after DLs before and it limits your performance.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday 12-19-07 - Week 4

Body weight: 185.6
Front Squats: (45x5 115x5 135x3) 165x3x3
Press: (45x5 95x3) 120x5x4 120x4+1PP (PR)
Back extensions: 35x8x2 {bw}x8
Chin-ups: {bw+30}x4 {bw}x8 {bw}x6

Due to time restrictions I had to go to the shitty gym (CRCE). Everything went very well, except that my chins were done on handles that are angled and not parallel. I wonder what the difference between those two is? My guess is more bicep involvement on the parallel kind?

I almost got 120x5x5 on the press, but I had to push press the last rep of the last set.

Oh yeah, I did some farmer's hold with the 100lb dumbbells. I never realized how bad the burning sensation in your forearms can get.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Here's a good Oly lifting clip for ya, some successes, some failures.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Friday 12-20-07 - Week 4

Body weight: 185.0
Squats: (45x5x2 135x5x2 185x3 225x2 245x1) 260x2
Dumbbell Bench: (40x5 55x5 75x3) 85xfail 85xfail
Deadlift: (135x5 225x3 315x1) 335x3

Today was another one of those Fridays that sucked. Coincidentally, just like on the last Friday that sucked, I woke up at 10am and was in the gym by 11am. :think:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Ouch man. Failing on 85's shouldn't be happening if you're getting 82.5 for 4 a week ago. Personally I can't work out until I've been awake for at least 2.5 hours. Something's just off otherwise. Try waking up earlier and see if that helps. I think this workout is solid so it shouldn't be overtraining.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Ouch man. Failing on 85's shouldn't be happening if you're getting 82.5 for 4 a week ago. Personally I can't work out until I've been awake for at least 2.5 hours. Something's just off otherwise. Try waking up earlier and see if that helps. I think this workout is solid so it shouldn't be overtraining.
Yeah, I agree that this shouldn't be happening, and the workouts where I've been awake for longer tend to be better. I'll try waking up earlier like you suggest. In the meantime, I've sent an email to Rippetoe to see what he thinks. Yeah yeah, slurp slurp slurp...
:rasp:

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Rippetoe told me to call him and gave me the following advice (paraphrased):

I'm tall and skinny, and I should weight at least 205 lbs before I switch to an intermediate program. Also, I'm not squatting enough for an intermediate. I should go back to the starting strength work out, drink a gallon of milk a day and eat another 3,000 calories, and when I'm up to 220 we can worry about how fat I am.

:donut:

I'll try to give this a try...

Edit: I emailed back saying that I'll try what he suggested, and I asked how much weight gain I should be looking for per week. His response was 2-3 lbs/week at least.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
2-3 # per week is a little insane. Maybe he got sick of you bugging him. :lol: J/K How many calories are you consuming per day? I think I'd see if the sleep idea helps first. If he's saying that you're a beginner then you should be making gains beyond an intermediate which isn't happening. That's a weird response from him.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
2-3 # per week is a little insane. Maybe he got sick of you bugging him. :lol: J/K How many calories are you consuming per day? I think I'd see if the sleep idea helps first. If he's saying that you're a beginner then you should be making gains beyond an intermediate which isn't happening. That's a weird response from him.
I'm not sure how many calories a day I'm consuming, but it's probably at least 2000. Well, I think the point is that when I was running the starting strength routine, I wasn't eating enough and hence plateaued, so instead of upping my diet I switched to an intermediate workout.

As far as making more gains than I currently am, that might be a limitation of the current routine. Doing the 5x5 on squats might be killing me too much to make decent progress as a beginner. The routine is set up to make weekly progress, and I treated it as such.

He says that the gallon of milk/day works every time for novices...so what the hell, milk's not that expensive.