Bev: Train to Perform Log

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
Hey all, this is going to be my training log on my journey to get stronger (and generally better).

I'm new to the forum (and all forums), but I've been training for the last 5 years or so. I recently got into powerlifting when my husband started doing it and have been training with him since we started dating.

My name's Bev, I'm 5'5" and about 115 pounds.

My current maxes are:

Bench: 135
Squat: 185
DL: 205 x 4

I've recently been dealing with Hip/Shoulder pain that I've been working out. Hopefully just impingement but possible labrum tears, I've been to the doctor for my shoulder (which is the one I think is torn) and they blew me off (hooray for military healthcare).

So I've just been working around it and doing what I can to strengthen the surrounding muscle :shrug:

So without further ado, let's get this started!

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
Supplementation:

I don't currently use much as far as supplements go.

What I do use are:

OE Protein
Purus Labs Condense
USP Super Cissus
Gatorade (intra workout)

Training:

My husband does our training, we use a modified conjugate program and it's been working well so far. In the past I have done the WS4SB, 5/3/1, and PHAT training templates all to some success.

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
Sept 9 ME Lower

Warm up: Limber 11, Light Band Hip Distractions

Back Squat 4RM: 145x4 155x4

Block Pull 3x6: 185x6 195x6 205x6

Front Squat w/chain 2x10: 45+80x10 95+80x4 65+80x10

Kroc Row x F: 40x20

a1 Traveling DB Lunges 2x8: 40x8 40x8
a2 45 Hyper 2x20: BWx20 BW+10x20

Notes: Overall good session. Keep changing my technique on my squat. Got Chuck Taylors yesterday before the workout. Liked them a lot better to squat in.

James Fuller

James Fuller

Awards
good squats. think about dropping the bar about an 1"-2" on you, on your back squats?

James Fuller

James Fuller

Awards
dang that sucks. maybe someday.

James Fuller

James Fuller

Awards
no doubt itll be stronger, helps keep that weight center lined. i have tight shoulders and pecs and really struggled to low bar for a little while. its still pretty uncomfortable for me but i like it so much better. i just gotta keep working on mobility and everything. jimbuick do u compete? and will she eventually compete?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
no doubt itll be stronger, helps keep that weight center lined. i have tight shoulders and pecs and really struggled to low bar for a little while. its still pretty uncomfortable for me but i like it so much better. i just gotta keep working on mobility and everything. jimbuick do u compete? and will she eventually compete?
I've done one in August.

We're both planning on the APF SE TX meet in December for my second and her first.

Planning to take the state records in our respective weight classes/age group.

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
I've done one in August.

We're both planning on the APF SE TX meet in December for my second and her first.

Planning to take the state records in our respective weight classes/age group.
Hopefully

James Fuller

James Fuller

Awards
no "hopefully", you will take them. train hard and have the mindset of your getting what belongs to you and youll definitely get them.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm in this. That's a strong bench you've got there, lady.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It'll come back, just don't rush and be patient with yourself.

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
Yeah that's what my husband tells me. My bench has gotten a lot better so I'm good with the weight I can do. All in time.

tacticalG

tacticalG

Awards
Wow, super strong!!! Very inspiring video:) Mind if I follow along?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In! Glad to see you guys putting in work, and music added to the video! Thats my S##T!!!

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
Wed: ME Upper

Warm Up: Simple 6, EFS Pull Apart series x 1, PT for Hip, Bench Press worked to 95x3

Pre: 1 scoop Condense

2 Board Bench 3RM: 105x3, 115x3, 125x3(PR), 135x2x2(PR :))

DB Bench 3x8: 40x8, 40x8, 45x8(PR)

a1 Pendlay Row 4x8: 85x8, 85x8, 45x8, 55x8
a2 SG High Pull 3x6: 65x6x3
Note: Pendlay Rows hurt my shoulder so I went down in weight.

b1 Swiss Bar French Press 2x10: 35x9, 35x10
b2 Swiss Bar OHP 2x5: 35x5, 55x5

Hammer Curl 2x12: 10x12x2
EFS Pull Apart Series x1

Notes: Felt good today. Hit some PRs which made me happy of course. Still need to work on not rounding my back on the rows and when picking up the bar. Getting the bench press form down though. My lower body is sooo sore from Monday though.

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
Thurs: RE Lower

Pre: 1 Scoop Condense

Warm Up: Limber 11, PT for hip, EFS Pull Apart Series x 1

Con DL 2x12: 135x12x2

Cambered GM 3x6: 95x6x3

Camber Squats 2x12: 135x12x2

Notes: Today was a fight to finish the workout. Felt as is my preworkout wore off half way through cause the warm up takes so long. Gonna start taking it half way through the warm up from now on. My conv DL form looks a whole lot better now. All in all it was a good workout. Built some mental toughness.

Video will be up later.

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
http://youtu.be/didLF0etRL4

Sat: RE Upper

Pre: 1.5 Scoop Condense

Warm Up: PT for Hip, Simple 6, EFS Pull Apart Series x 1

Bench Press: 105x10
No Arch Bench Press: 95x8x2

Swiss Bar Z Press: 35x6, 45x6, 55x6

a1 Ball Pull-Up: BWx8x3
a2 HS Low Row: 50x10, 60x10x2

Skullcrushers: 40x5x2, 50x5

Pound Stone Curl: 45x15

Good workout today. First time taking more than a scoop of condense. I have some sleeping issues so I tried 3/4 Scoop of G8 last night. It helped me out a lot. Didn't have a problem falling asleep or staying asleep. Shoulder started hurting during bench press, made my eyes water. Getting better at pull-ups :)

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bleh...**** pull-ups lol

Hope that shoulder stays strong for you

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
Lol yeah pull ups are not one of my favorite things. Theres only about 2 ways i can do pull ups without it bothering my shoulder. We biofreeze it now before the workouts.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That and Blue Heat
Never tried it. Mine has lasted 20 sessions and I hand it out to anyone that asks. It hasn't even dented it.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That good?

I got the biofreeze for free lol.
My gawd. It's unreal. Everybody who's tried it loves it. It's a tiny squirt to wherever you need it and you feel relief in five minutes.

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
Mon: ME Lower

Pre: 1.5 scoop Condense

Warm-Up: PT for Hip, Hip Distractions, Limber 11, Pull parts, Scapular Attractions, Box Squat worked up to 95

Box Squats: 115x3, 135x3(PR), 155x2(PR)

Olympic Squat: 115x6, 135x6, 145x6

Good Mornings: 95x10x2

1 Arm Barbell Rows: 10x15

a1 Walking Lunges: 40x8x2
a2 Hypers: 25x15x2

Notes: My left knee was bugging out on me today. I put some biofreeze on it. On the plus side my hip is feeling a lot better. The Olympic squats felt really good :)
Dont know if my technique for box squats was all that great though but I'll work on it more. Now if only my regular squat will get better...

Video: http://youtu.be/ffaWxzxvMB4

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
BioFreeze helps a bunch, like Tiger Balm more when I get my hands on it but Biofreeze is a def. got to.

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
Yeah, we just started using biofreeze last week. Got it for free Its a lot better than muscle rub. We were talking about trying out some tiger balm before we went to Michigan.

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
Tue Speed/Conditioning

Pre: 1 scoop Condense

Warm Up: Foam Rolled, Band work for Shoulders, Dynamic track warm up

Step Back Sprints 5x30yds

Med Ball Chases 5x30yds

Broad Jump --> Sprint 4x15yds

Lax Ball Grab 4x20yds

Notes: Felt good today. It was a fun workout! :) I enjoy running. Hip started acting up towards the end so I only did 4 out of the 5 Lax Ball Grabs. Plan to do some PT for my hip tomorrow.

Video: http://youtu.be/i8lZFkx2PzM

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
Wed- ME Upper

Warm-Up: Simple 6 and The Pull Apart Series x 1

Floor Press: 95x2, 115x2, 135x2(PR)

Inc Bench: 85x6
DB Inc: 35x6x3 (Regular Inc hurt my shoulder so I switched to DB)

a1 Fat Bar Cable Rows: 60x8x3
a2 Face Pulls: 50x12, 60x12, 70x12

b1 Landmine Press: 50x10x2
b2 Band Push Down: MM x15x2

Rope Curl: 15x10x2

Notes: Workout was good today. Finally got to use a big boy plate for a bench related workout! :) Shoulder hurt a good amount when we did the inc bench and still is kind of achy. Cant wait for the gym tomorrow :)

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m63muhAc2o

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
Thursday RE Lower

Warm Up: Selected Exercises from Limber 11, PT for hip, EFS Pull Apart Series x1

Back Squat: 135x8x3

2" Def Dead-lift: 135x10x2

Leg Press: 110x5, 150x5, 190x5x2

a1 Pallof Press: 25x5x3
a2 GHR: BW x 8x2
a3 Squat Thing: BW x 12x2

Notes: Todays workout made me go to a special place. Soooooo many reps for DL!! Why?! Torture, thats why! Hip was slightly bothering me so I biofreezed my hip and my shoulder and my knees. On the plus side I figured my squat out! :) But it was not till the 3rd set that I got it down and its not on video. Jim hates rep day! Fun, Fun day at the gym... :nono2:

http://youtu.be/69c6jj8YemA

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMG_20130919_201941.jpg

The "squat thing," don't know what to really call this. You put your feet in it and go back and squat with your feet locked under the pad, hits the quads pretty good.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That hateful piece of machinery is a sissy squat machine, and you're right, it nukes the quads.

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
Glad to finally know what its called. Still hate it though

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you really hate yourself, rig a band around your waist going down and behind you to something AND hold a dumbell. Then sissy squat.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn that's a good idea.

The_Puma15

The_Puma15

Awards
Sat 9/21/13- RE Upper

Pre: 1.5 Scoop Condense

Warm-Up: Simple 6, EFS Pull Apart Series x 1

Close Grip(1" from slick) 1 Board Bench: 105x10, 95+40 Chain x 5, 75+40 Chain x 12

Dips: BW x 5, +10x5x2, Bw x 5

a1 Wide NG Pull Down: 50x12,60x12x3
a2 Strict DB Row: 35x6, 40x6x3

Seated DB Press: 30x6, 25x10

b1 Lat Raise: 10x10x3
b2 Reverse Grip Curl: 20x10x3

Notes: Good day at the gym. Limiting factor was my left shoulder. I lowered the weight on my dips and tried to up the weight on my lat raises but my shoulder was bothering me. Over all did some good work in the gym. Pretty happy about my bench though. Getting better :) Seated DB Press sucks!

Video: http://youtu.be/C0y9S80NS1k