10 weeks to APF TX State

Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    I haven't been overly diligent nutrition wise for this meet and with no weight cut. My main priority has been to get in sufficient calories as opposed to focusing on the quality of them. For the next meet, however, I will be looking to get down to about 210-212 and then cut to 198. I'm about 225 right now and am going to drop about 6-8lbs before the meet so my squat gear isn't so ridiculously tight.
    Eh I'm on the same boat as ya. I thought about dropping to 198 but I'm no where near experienced enough to drop 27lbs without taking a hit on my numbers. I thought I read on here some place you follow the Paleo diet.. or was that someone else?
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Eh I'm on the same boat as ya. I thought about dropping to 198 but I'm no where near experienced enough to drop 27lbs without taking a hit on my numbers. I thought I read on here some place you follow the Paleo diet.. or was that someone else?
    While I was fighting, yes, I ate Paleo. Once I started seriously training for PL, I needed to "dirty" it up to put on some mass. I still eat gluten-free most of the time, but I eat a ton of rice, which isn't Paleo.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    I still eat gluten-free most of the time, but I eat a ton of rice, which isn't Paleo.
    Nor gatorade. Paleo would be impossible for me.

    We'll all be disappointed if you dont post videos of your meet BTW
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Nor gatorade. Paleo would be impossible for me.

    We'll all be disappointed if you dont post videos of your meet BTW
    My wife will be there taking video. I need to get video so I can see what I did right and wrong.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  5. I definitely notice a difference just adding in 1 scoop of modern to my pre as far as fatigue goes. I thought about carbs as I train in the morning but was unsure if it mattered if you have an insulin spike during a workout since it decreases hgh...I could be way off, but still can't figure out solid answers. Any thoughts?
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  6. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    I definitely notice a difference just adding in 1 scoop of modern to my pre as far as fatigue goes. I thought about carbs as I train in the morning but was unsure if it mattered if you have an insulin spike during a workout since it decreases hgh...I could be way off, but still can't figure out solid answers. Any thoughts?
    Don't worry about the acute increases in GH, test, IGF-1, etc. Having a strong and productive training session will be far more fruitful than trying to micromanage the hormonal response.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  7. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Don't worry about the acute increases in GH, test, IGF-1, etc. Having a strong and productive training session will be far more fruitful than trying to micromanage the hormonal response.
    Do you think something like dextrose would be better for it's fast breakdown, or a complex carb?

    And thank you. Now I don't have to think about it and waste my time.
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  8. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Do you think something like dextrose would be better for it's fast breakdown, or a complex carb?

    And thank you. Now I don't have to think about it and waste my time.
    Dextrose for the win
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

  9. Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF

    Dextrose for the win
    Haha you the man. I got some already.
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  10. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Do you think something like dextrose would be better for it's fast breakdown, or a complex carb?

    And thank you. Now I don't have to think about it and waste my time.
    The reason I use Gatorade is for the dextrose.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  11. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    The reason I use Gatorade is for the dextrose.
    That's what I got. Cheap as hell at sam's club. I am gonna mess with it some.
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  12. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    That's what I got. Cheap as hell at sam's club. I am gonna mess with it some.
    That's where I got mine.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  13. 3/13

    Speed Bench (alternate middle finger and pinky on rings)
    185x2x6

    DB Rows
    145x17

    BB Curls/Pullaparts (mini)
    95x10/15
    95x10/15

    Pressdowns
    100x15x3

    Side Laterals
    30x15x2

    In a weird twist, it seems like I've gained more speed than when I was regularly doing DE and the bar weight is heavier. I was really able to engage my legs into these and the bar popped off of my chest. To spare my shoulders, I'm keeping the pressing assistance rather low until post meet and the assistance work I'm doing is mainly to get blood into the area and for postural purposes.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  14. Sounds like you are finding your groove with the bench. Perfect timing! Those DB rows are Kroc like. Lol
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

  15. Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Sounds like you are finding your groove with the bench. Perfect timing! Those DB rows are Kroc like. Lol
    Unfortunately, my raw and shirted grooves are different.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  16. Would doing speed lifts shirted help at all with this?
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

  17. Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Would doing speed lifts shirted help at all with this?
    Not really and that is one of my contentions with the DE. The discrepancies between raw and geared numbers are so large that the percentage used is very low. However, it is used more for the neural aspect to learn to engage additional motor units.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  18. Got it. So would doing doubles or triples shirted provide some sort of groove assistance?
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

  19. Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Got it. So would doing doubles or triples shirted provide some sort of groove assistance?
    I think it's more of needing additional comfort with touching in a shirt. I've only done it a handful of times and it's different now than when I first did it since I am about 15lbs heavier.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  20. Guess you answered it right there...suit up and bust out some lifts until the groove is found. That is what I ment by doubles or triples. Maybe in the 80% range?
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

  21. Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Guess you answered it right there...suit up and bust out some lifts until the groove is found. That is what I ment by doubles or triples. Maybe in the 80% range?
    Using a double-ply shirt is ironic in that you need a weight heavy enough to touch, but light enough to be able to press. I don't think I've seen anyone touch more than a single in a shirt because it takes so long to actually get the weight there .
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  22. That's crazy! This is all a new world for me now that my son is training for it. He comes home tomorrow and we are going to test his maxes to see where he is. He wants to compete in his first comp in May.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

  23. Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    That's crazy! This is all a new world for me now that my son is training for it. He comes home tomorrow and we are going to test his maxes to see where he is. He wants to compete in his first comp in May.
    If it's single-ply, then it's not as bad. I can touch 275 in a single ply, but I can barely move 365 in a double-ply shirt.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  24. Sheds some light on what those shirts bring to the table.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  25. Re: 10 weeks to APF TX State


    Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    That's crazy! This is all a new world for me now that my son is training for it. He comes home tomorrow and we are going to test his maxes to see where he is. He wants to compete in his first comp in May.
    This might be helpful

    http://www.canadianpowerliftingfeder...&Itemid=24

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  26. 3/15

    Bench

    405x1 (1-board)
    455x1 (1-board)

    Tate Press/Pullaparts
    45x15/15
    45x15/15
    45x15/15

    After a rough start to the day, I rebounded and hit my groove. This is really the wrong time to be making adjustments, but I moved the collar up and the sleeves higher on my arm. It took a couple of sets to get it going since the technique was slightly different in terms of elbow position and tucking. This groove had me staying wider until about a 3-board level, which is where I'd have to start tucking and drifting. My legs weren't 100% under me and my final sets didn't have great speed to them, but they were smooth.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  27. What's your grip like equipped vs raw?
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    What's your grip like equipped vs raw?
    It almost depends on the day. Sometimes, it's the ring finger or it might be the middle finger. I usually start with the ring finger and then move out if everything feels good.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  29. 3/17
    Squat (full gear and straps up)

    Worked up to my planned second attempt: ~650x1


    I did this with reverse bands at first to tee how much the straps were going to bite. It looks a tad high, but I'll take it since I haven't gone straps up this year and this was maybe the 4th time that I've done it period.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  30. It might have been a little high but it sure exploded out of the hole bubba!
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

  31. Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    It might have been a little high but it sure exploded out of the hole bubba!
    The main thing for me is that I was able to move the full gear quite well and I had a great unrack. Technically speaking, I see some mistakes, particularly the weight shifting towards my toes, but I should be able to correct that quite easily as I was far from really locked in yesterday. I got so caught up in just moving the weight up that I forgot to just focus on keeping my chest up and squeezing my ass.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  32. I did notice some rocking but like you said it was more a matter of getting used to the gear's use. You still looked explosive!
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

  33. Are you and those other guys entering as a team?

    Looked pretty good, was a tad high as you said, but that is some serious freaking weight there. I'd like to second you came out of the hole with solid speed.
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  34. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Are you and those other guys entering as a team?

    Looked pretty good, was a tad high as you said, but that is some serious freaking weight there. I'd like to second you came out of the hole with solid speed.
    The guy calling is doing APF Nationals in May, but the other 3 should be there with me. The guy closest to the camera is a little flaky and I'll believe that he's doing it when he shows up on the platform. Insanely strong guy, but he lacks discipline and focus.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  35. After a second watch that may pass...hard to tell. You know better than me. It was at least parallel, maybe a little lower.
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  36. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    The guy calling is doing APF Nationals in May, but the other 3 should be there with me. The guy closest to the camera is a little flaky and I'll believe that he's doing it when he shows up on the platform. Insanely strong guy, but he lacks discipline and focus.
    Yeah, they look like a group of strong ass dudes.
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  37. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    After a second watch that may pass...hard to tell. You know better than me. It was at least parallel, maybe a little lower.
    The official rule is that the lifter gets the benefit of the doubt. My hope was to get in the 680-690 range, but my focus is my first attempt. Depending how everything goes, I might go for a proposed third attempt with reverse bands next Sunday, but that's not 100% certain. I've done that weight once about 5 months ago and I feel I can get it if I get everything in order.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  38. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    The official rule is that the lifter gets the benefit of the doubt. My hope was to get in the 680-690 range, but my focus is my first attempt. Depending how everything goes, I might go for a proposed third attempt with reverse bands next Sunday, but that's not 100% certain. I've done that weight once about 5 months ago and I feel I can get it if I get everything in order.
    Well I look forward to the videos of this meet.

    On a side note, you ever heard of the WNPF? They do meets around me. I am thinking of joining and doing my first meet in June with them(pending I scrape up the money for everything).
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  39. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Well I look forward to the videos of this meet.

    On a side note, you ever heard of the WNPF? They do meets around me. I am thinking of joining and doing my first meet in June with them(pending I scrape up the money for everything).
    Yeah, they're pretty well known amongst the "natural" federations.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  40. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Yeah, they're pretty well known amongst the "natural" federations.
    I see what you did there. I have absolutely nothing against "geared" lifters, I just hope to compete with people at least closer to my strength. Be kind of weird to me finishing with everyone-else's warm up. They do a lot of Philly and jersey which is good for me.
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. 10 weeks to get from 207 to 185-190
    By houseofpainhulk in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 02:21 PM
  2. My 10 Weeks to strength
    By bsandora in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-14-2009, 12:37 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 03:21 PM
  4. 10 week cutting cycle? To Long?
    By Buc4Life04 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 01:24 AM
Log in
Log in