Lifting Heavy every single day - LOG

Page 5 of 6 First ... 3456 Last
  1. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    Ok well I understand why you walk out so far BUT there are still changes that need to be made, and rodja has pointed some out as well. And hes not mad at you, its immature to think so. He is a very bright man who has helped me many times. I suggest listening to him and drop the attitude. He can and will help you if you allow him too. And yes the bench is paused. However a meet is a totally different environment from training and you numbers may or may not produce at one. That is the beauty of comps vs gym lifts. Once you compete no one cares what your gym lifts are, its all about your meet lifts from then on.
    To elaborate, I've been at meets that take 8-10 hours to complete. It's more of a mental grind than a physical grind in a meet.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    To elaborate, I've been at meets that take 8-10 hours to complete. It's more of a mental grind than a physical grind in a meet.
    Exactly. At the meet I just did i was lifting from 9:30ish am to 4:00ish pm. That was a long day and most of my numbers produced outside of the bench. 9 max attempts in about 8 hrs. Totally new world.
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Exactly. At the meet I just did i was lifting from 9:30ish am to 4:00ish pm. That was a long day and most of my numbers produced outside of the bench. 9 max attempts in about 8 hrs. Totally new world.
    I equate the first meet to the first fight. There's so many variables to the equation that you really just need to take it as learning experience and maintain modest goals, especially if you have a big weight cut involved.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Keep in mind that those lifts are APF only. There are quite a few feds out there, and you'll be more competitive in certain ones. As far as American records go, drug tested raw 181 is: 601sq, 468b, 766dl, 1575t.

Even close to that and you'll be competitive in most feds.
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Answers

I equate the first meet to the first fight. There's so many variables to the equation that you really just need to take it as learning experience and maintain modest goals, especially if you have a big weight cut involved.
    exactly
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mattsams89 View Post
    Keep in mind that those lifts are APF only. There are quite a few feds out there, and you'll be more competitive in certain ones. As far as American records go, drug tested raw 181 is: 601sq, 468b, 766dl, 1575t.

Not a lot of federations are drug tested and the "careers" of raw lifters are very short. People think that gear only adds pounds to lifts, but it also adds years of competitive lifting.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Answers

right but i will just pulling up one fed as an example
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Answers

Not a lot of federations are drug tested and the "careers" of raw lifters are very short. People think that gear only adds pounds to lifts, but it also adds years of competitive lifting.
    YES
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

Good point. That takes things to: 650, 556, 791, 1700. And the latter is a fair point as well. I know I've graduated to a knee sleeve for tendonosis (result of a limb length imbalance), but I imagine I'll have to get wraps one of these days to keep trucking at heavier weight.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321
    right but i will just pulling up one fed as an example
    Gotcha. Just wanted to provide him a shoot for the stars (intelligently) example too. :-)
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

anyways it was just a thought. I might do it someday, but most likely im still thinking about playing football. How does my routine look on the first page THIRD post?
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/193693-lifting-heavy-every.html
    MY LOG ABOVE^^^ Yes i Squat heavy every single day. Come see how it works out!
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Will View Post
    SWEETLOU321 READ BELOW THIS
    MONDAY:
    Squat (455x3) (91% of MAX)
    SELECTION #1: Front Squats or Power Lunge variation (Jumps, Step ups, Sprints, Backpedaling)
    SELECTION #2: Bench Press or Dips
    ASSISTANCE: GRIP (Crushing + Pinching + Wrist/Forearm) + Pull ups

TUESDAY
    SELECTION #1: Good Morning or Zercher Squats
    ASSISTANCE: Farmers walks

WEDNESDAY:

THURSDAY:
    SELECTION #1: Front Squats or Power Lunge variation (Jumps, Step ups, Sprints, Backpedaling)
    ASSISTANCE: Bicep Curls (any variation) + Neck Harness

FRIDAY:
    SELECTION #1: Good Morning or Zercher Squats
    SELECTION #2: Bench Press or Dips
    ASSISTANCE: GRIP (Crushing + Pinching + Wrist/Forearm) + Pull ups

SATURDAY:
    OFF

SUNDAY:
    Squat (RE-MAX) (FIGURE OUT NEW 91%) (RE START MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY)

*** Make sure your alternating the SELECTION 1 and 2 exercises. For example: good morning on Tuesday. Zercher Squats on Friday...
    *** Stretching to be done after each workout.
    *** Progress never stops.

EXPLANATION OF EACH LIFT:
    Good Morning: 2 sets of 2
    Zercher Squats: 2 sets of 2
    Front Squats: 2 sets of 2
    Power Lunge variations: Pick 2 total variations. progress on either reps/weight/time. Do not kill yourself.
    Bench Press: 3 sets of 2
    Dips: 3 sets of 4
    Bicep curls: 2 sets of 8 with any exercise
    GRIP: Work for no longer than 15-20 minutes. don't kill yourself
    Pull-ups: 2 sets of 6-8
    Farmers walks: 3 sets of walks total
    Neck Harness: 2 sets of 12-15

______________________________ ______________________________ _
    GUYS I THINK THIS IS THE PROGRAM IM GONNA DO. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. IM THINKING THIS IS THE ONE.

Thing is, im not sure if 93% is to much or not enough. Granted the other exercises are going to help my squat like you guys said because it will improve my weaknesses. But should i increase or decrease the squat percentage. Maybe go down to 90% or up to 95% (which i think is to much..95% for 5 days straight is imo, reason is because of all the assistance work)
    Your a funny guy.

Pull-ups are not the best lift to help your bench. Rows would be since they hit your back in the same plain as bench. And pull-ups cause internal rotation of the shoulder so again rows would be better as the primary lat movement. Not to mention most powerlifters agree that rows help their totals more then pull-ups. Also make sure you got some good prehad, warm-ups, and restoration drills to maintain your joint health and recover as best as possible. And of course to help remain injury free.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Your a funny guy.

Pull-ups are not the best lift to help your bench. Rows would be since they hit your back in the same plain as bench. And pull-ups cause internal rotation of the shoulder so again rows would be better as the primary lat movement. Not to mention most powerlifters agree that rows help their totals more then pull-ups. Also make sure you got some good prehad, warm-ups, and restoration drills to maintain your joint health and recover as best as possible. And of course to help remain injury free.
    would pull ups be better for an athlete or no? in your opinion. Also yes. i will be stretching a lot. And warming up good.
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Answers

would pull ups be better for an athlete or no? in your opinion. Also yes. i will be stretching a lot. And warming up good.
    No simply bc to maintain healthy shoulders there has to be a balance between your internal and external rotators and since your routine leaves lil room for special lifts ill stick with my suggestion of rows over pull-ups.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

No simply bc to maintain healthy shoulders there has to be a balance between your internal and external rotators and since your routine leaves lil room for special lifts ill stick with my suggestion of rows over pull-ups.
    ok ill do rows instead. thank you
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Re: your new program

You can push a car in place of a prowler.

Suggest adding some glute activation work. Some glute-hip bridges or pull throughs will really help improve your squat and dead lift.

Br
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Re: your new program

You can push a car in place of a prowler.

Suggest adding some glute activation work. Some glute-hip bridges or pull throughs will really help improve your squat and dead lift.

Br
    Zir Red! which program are you talking about? the one on the first page of this post or the other one i made another post in the training forum?

and are you talking about these? if so, i never would have thought of that. deff adding these.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  187 lbs.
    Answers

I love those bridges. I typically do them from the floor, but they've helped my glutes and lower back a ton.
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

I've read about those at least ten times, but I think I might start doing them myself, too. I think I need more than GHR to hit the gluts so that I start remembering them during the squat.
  19. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    I've read about those at least ten times, but I think I might start doing them myself, too. I think I need more than GHR to hit the gluts so that I start remembering them during the squat.
    You may really like doing Bulgarian split squats then. When I started doing them, I couldn't sit down very easily. My glutes were more sore than they've ever been.

You can do them with your forward foot elevated on a platform too, so that you can get even more depth. They are a brutal assistance excercise, especially if done with walking barbell lunges.

Recently I've started hitting the GHR hard, multiple times per week, weighted for fewer reps and unweighted for high reps. I'm going to pick up ankle weights this weekend as well, since I want to start doing weighted leg curls. All it takes are 5 pound weights on each ankle, hang off the edge of your bed and do 100 leg curls per side, everyday before bed. Will only take up 10min of time or so. Read this tip on T-Nation I think.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Zir Red! which program are you talking about? the one on the first page of this post or the other one i made another post in the training forum?
    Your newest program ideas. And yes, that is the exercise.

Br
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    You may really like doing Bulgarian split squats then. When I started doing them, I couldn't sit down very easily. My glutes were more sore than they've ever been.

You can do them with your forward foot elevated on a platform too, so that you can get even more depth. They are a brutal assistance excercise, especially if done with walking barbell lunges.

Recently I've started hitting the GHR hard, multiple times per week, weighted for fewer reps and unweighted for high reps. I'm going to pick up ankle weights this weekend as well, since I want to start doing weighted leg curls. All it takes are 5 pound weights on each ankle, hang off the edge of your bed and do 100 leg curls per side, everyday before bed. Will only take up 10min of time or so. Read this tip on T-Nation I think.

Split squats are great, whether its pitcher/bulgarian or traditional. They always leave my adductors sore the first time I put them back in my program.

Another idea is some good single leg RDL's.

Br
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I did some extra work today with the glutes and hammys (earlier). And i can feel the power it gives you. Just wondering if since i really underutelized my glutes and hammys (ob. squat helped, but little to no direct stimulation.. do you think this will impact my squats and deads to a great extent? or will it just bump it up a bit?

also is a GHR worth it. machine? or can i skip it?
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Split squats are great, whether its pitcher/bulgarian or traditional. They always leave my adductors sore the first time I put them back in my program.

Another idea is some good single leg RDL's.

Br
    that is a good idea..hmmmm. interesting.. lot of things ive been missing.
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I did some extra work today with the glutes and hammys (earlier). And i can feel the power it gives you. Just wondering if since i really underutelized my glutes and hammys (ob. squat helped, but little to no direct stimulation.. do you think this will impact my squats and deads to a great extent? or will it just bump it up a bit?

also is a GHR worth it. machine? or can i skip it?
    To have in your house a GHR is more than worth it.
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Roniboney View Post
    To have in your house a GHR is more than worth it.
    will it benefit me so much to the point of spending hundreds of dollars on it? Im ok with having good benefit with other exercises, but if it does more than i would think (like a very good effect) than i am willing to buy it to improve performance. im just not gonna want to buy it, and have it do minimal work for my body.
  26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

will it benefit me so much to the point of spending hundreds of dollars on it? Im ok with having good benefit with other exercises, but if it does more than i would think (like a very good effect) than i am willing to buy it to improve performance. im just not gonna want to buy it, and have it do minimal work for my body.
    I don't know how you'll react to it.Nobody does.Its a chance you take.You said you wanted to join a powerlifitng gym.Do that then and use the GHR along with your training.If you like it then buy one for your home.
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Roniboney View Post
    I don't know how you'll react to it.Nobody does.Its a chance you take.You said you wanted to join a powerlifitng gym.Do that then and use the GHR along with your training.If you like it then buy one for your home.
    how often do you think using a GHR machine would work? 6 days a week? high reps? added weight?I know i might not be able to do it well at first, but what your opinion on volume?
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

how often do you think using a GHR machine would work? 6 days a week? high reps? added weight?I know i might not be able to do it well at first, but what your opinion on volume?
    maybe 2-3 times a week.BWis very hard at first so go with that.Mix it up between BW and weighted when you adapt.I personally love them but SLDL are a close 2nd for me
  29. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  232 lbs.
    Answers

You don't need to buy a ghr machine. Other supplemental lifts will benefit you just as well. I got up to a deadlift of 550 for 5x5 raw and never used a ghr machine. You are much farther along than I was at your age.
  30. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

GHR is king. Love doing sets on the GHR after deads, then hitting SLDL for reps. Best way to hit your hams imo. I wouldn't substitute the GHR for anything now that I'm doing them. What I like most about the GHR machine, is that you can hit your posterior chain HARD without stress to your lower back. If it was elevated, you can also do hypers on it.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  31. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  187 lbs.
    Answers

You can do glute hams from the floor if you have somewhere to hook your feet/keep them down. Not as ideal, but free.
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

You can do glute hams from the floor if you have somewhere to hook your feet/keep them down. Not as ideal, but free.
    they hurt like crap though from the floor.But if he can then ye do it
  33. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Roniboney

they hurt like crap though from the floor.But if he can then ye do it
    Like I said, not ideal. Haha. They require a little upper body to get going normally.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I just made a device. Its one that this guys shows:

Its different from his with no wood, but it works, tried it with a couple 45 and i could feel a deep burn in my hammys. Right now Good mornings, this machine i made, and just some hip ups with my feet on my rolling ball are the things that seem the be hitting them the most. Most likely gonna try to start my new program next Monday so just getting everything ready,
  35. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Interesting. Does it effectively hit hip extension as well? I can see his hips extending to some degree, but how much does it hit your glutes?
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

I just made a device. Its one that this guys shows:

Its different from his with no wood, but it works, tried it with a couple 45 and i could feel a deep burn in my hammys. Right now Good mornings, this machine i made, and just some hip ups with my feet on my rolling ball are the things that seem the be hitting them the most. Most likely gonna try to start my new program next Monday so just getting everything ready,
    We use something similar up at school, except the feet are placed on a 25 or 45 lb plate and then that plate is placed on a slide board. There's no dynamic glute/hip extension work in it. Its all a bridge and then the hamstrings flexing the knee. Very similar to swiss ball leg curls.

br
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Just wanted to give a little update as i haven't said much in a while. I still train daily, but im doing different types of things ect...

I just deadlifted 500 the other day for a max. then i missed the video.The 2nd video i got but it isn't full. So i hit it for 2 max singles. Ive been working more hammy/glutes and i think thats been helping me. I dropped the squat down and am just working low 400's right now for reps. Im just improving but slowing down on purpose so i don't run into any problems ect..

Im also adding in some other cool training methods.. They are fun. Some things you guys would probably laugh at but i feel like i am more balanced and in more control of my body. Just still trying to figure out what im gonna do sports wise.
  38. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  260 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Will
    Just wanted to give a little update as i haven't said much in a while. I still train daily, but im doing different types of things ect...

I just deadlifted 500 the other day for a max. then i missed the video.The 2nd video i got but it isn't full. So i hit it for 2 max singles. Ive been working more hammy/glutes and i think thats been helping me. I dropped the squat down and am just working low 400's right now for reps. Im just improving but slowing down on purpose so i don't run into any problems ect..

Im also adding in some other cool training methods.. They are fun. Some things you guys would probably laugh at but i feel like i am more balanced and in more control of my body. Just still trying to figure out what im gonna do sports wise.
    Check out my new PR pimp juice!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7yyi...e_gdata_player
  39. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  260 lbs.
    Answers

The ham/glute work will pay off big time
    Man u will see!!! Keep up the hard work!
  40. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  260 lbs.
    Answers

Btw when I was ur age I could barely deadlift 400 lbs!!! Of course my routine back then sucked!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. ::: bLacKjAcK's Lifting Heavy Log :::
    By bLacKjAck. in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 03:36 AM
  2. Single Best Song for lifting.
    By planetfuzz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 08:11 AM
  3. Lifting heavy while dieting...
    By Zero Tolerance in forum Weight Loss