Lifting Heavy every single day - LOG

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
SO, here is the start of my log. I will tell you everything. All inside details. i want to give knowledge and let other people know about my training methods and how i go about things. Im not saying this is going to work out perfect. But i am testing my own theories out. I want to share my success OR just plain failure (for a program, not forever) with you guys and just really show people that there is more out there other than just a 4 or 5 day split. Or a 3 day so called "strength program"

FIRST OFF: My theory is that the more you lift, and the more frequent you lift, the more better and stronger your body will be with that movement. If you lift light, you will be better with light weights. If you lift heavy you body will adapt and get stronger by lifting those heavy weights. I believe strength is mostly neural and recruiting motor units. If your lifting heavy and frequently with the main compound exercises, you strength will shoot up in the quickest and fastest way possible. So enough of what i think. Here is what i will be doing for who knows how long. It could be 1 week. Or 1 month. But i will edit my programs and how they go on this first post. Im starting with program 1. If i continue to progress, i will continue to do it. If i fail to progress, i will change it. KEEP ME MOTIVATED :)

PROGRAM #1 Is listed Below. Follow my journey!

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
PROGRAM(1)- 3 Heavy reps daily
Lifting: Every single day (ALL LIFTS ARE RAW. NOTHING ON. NO BELT, KNEE WRAPS, HOOKS, SLEEVES. JUST ME AND THE WEIGHT. AND CLOTHES :D. CHALK IS NECESSARY THOUGH.)

START DATE: 2/12/12
END DATE: ???

Squats - Work up to a HEAVY set of 3. Progress at least 5 pounds every single day.

2/12/12 - HIT 385x3
2/13/12 - HIT 400x3 (VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMPHMat-ipU&feature=plcp&context=C39534c9UDOEgsToPDskL9 5GjNg5kQOAEGr2bmQX2p)
2/13/12 (2nd SESSION) - 415 x 3 (VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7njA2qcrgeo&feature=youtu.be)
2/14/12 - HIT 425x3 (VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub29r5lPMkI&context=C33b7dbaADOEgsToPDskJgYzWxmoE2KvRmPEmmOyh5)
2/15/12 - HIT 500x1 (+ BELT) (VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kwTwqzerFw&feature=plcp&context=C3004136UDOEgsToPDskIT9SDQFcvSKnIXQG_VKHXQ)

Deadlift- SAME AS ABOVE

2/12/12 - HIT 405x3
2/13/12 - HIT 415x3 (VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMPHMat-ipU&context=C341f4faADOEgsToPDskIT 9SDQFcvSKnIXQG_VKHXQ)
2/14/12 - DID NOT DO
2/15/12 - DID NOT DO

Accessorys: Good Mornings, Bench Press, Front Squat, Suitcase Deads.. Alternated each day

ALSO ADDING IN SOME MOBILITY WORK IN THE END.

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
MONDAY:
Squat (455x3) (91% of MAX)
SELECTION #1: Front Squats or Power Lunge variation (Jumps, Step ups, Sprints, Backpedaling)
SELECTION #2: Bench Press or Dips
ASSISTANCE: GRIP (Crushing + Pinching + Wrist/Forearm) + Barbell Rows

TUESDAY
SELECTION #1: Good Morning or Zercher Squats
ASSISTANCE: Farmers walks

WEDNESDAY:

THURSDAY:
SELECTION #1: Front Squats or Power Lunge variation (Jumps, Step ups, Sprints, Backpedaling)
ASSISTANCE: Bicep Curls (any variation) + Neck Harness

FRIDAY:
SELECTION #1: Good Morning or Zercher Squats
SELECTION #2: Bench Press or Dips
ASSISTANCE: GRIP (Crushing + Pinching + Wrist/Forearm) + Barbell rows

SATURDAY:
OFF

SUNDAY:
Squat (RE-MAX) (FIGURE OUT NEW 91%) (RE START MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY)

*** Make sure your alternating the SELECTION 1 and 2 exercises. For example: good morning on Tuesday. Zercher Squats on Friday...
*** Stretching to be done after each workout.
*** Progress never stops.

EXPLANATION OF EACH LIFT:
Good Morning: 2 sets of 2
Zercher Squats: 2 sets of 2
Front Squats: 2 sets of 2
Power Lunge variations: Pick 2 total variations. progress on either reps/weight/time. Do not kill yourself.
Bench Press: 3 sets of 2
Dips: 3 sets of 4
Bicep curls: 2 sets of 8 with any exercise
GRIP: Work for no longer than 15-20 minutes. don't kill yourself
Pull-ups: 2 sets of 6-8
Farmers walks: 3 sets of walks total
Neck Harness: 2 sets of 12-15

Thing is, im not sure if 93% is to much or not enough. Granted the other exercises are going to help my squat like you guys said because it will improve my weaknesses. But should i increase or decrease the squat percentage. Maybe go down to 90% or up to 95% (which i think is to much..95% for 5 days straight is imo, reason is because of all the assistance work)

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
program 3 reserved spot

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
program 4 reserved spot

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
program 5 reserved spot. thats it!

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So your gonna squat and deadlift heavy triples everyday? with like no assistence work and expect to get stronger at them? Do you even know how the strongest in the world got to where they are? By not doing this, by doing special assistence lifts that bring up whatever is holding THEM back from being stronger, unless you have technique issues preforming the same lifts all the time wont result in better strength gains. Also if your gonna do this at least follow an olympic type program with REAL programming.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So your gonna squat and deadlift heavy triples everyday? with like no assistence work and expect to get stronger at them? Do you even know how the strongest in the world got to where they are? By not doing this, by doing special assistence lifts that bring up whatever is holding THEM back from being stronger, unless you have technique issues preforming the same lifts all the time wont result in better strength gains. Also if your gonna do this at least follow an olympic type program with REAL programming.

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
I expected these type of posts. BTW, let me know... How much do you think i can climb? I weight 180 btw. How far do you think i can take my triples to? (for Squat and Deads) I just want an honest opinion. And don't take this as a competition. I want your honest opinion. Ready set GO!

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I expected these type of posts. BTW, let me know... How much do you think i can climb? I weight 180 btw. How far do you think i can take my triples to? (for Squat and Deads) I just want an honest opinion. And don't take this as a competition. I want your honest opinion. Ready set GO!
Im just curious where you got the idea to do this? And honestly seeing as if your form is in check, not far maybe 5lbs if your lucky. But your gonna do this everyday with no off days your gonna put a beating on your cns system. And ull most likely start going backward very fast. I suggest you read the westside book of methods book to learn. Also me and you would never have a competition, unless your at a meet im at in the same weight class.

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
Im just curious where you got the idea to do this? And honestly seeing as if your form is in check, not far maybe 5lbs if your lucky. But your gonna do this everyday with no off days your gonna put a beating on your cns system. And ull most likely start going backward very fast. I suggest you read the westside book of methods book to learn. Also me and you would never have a competition, unless your at a meet im at in the same weight class.
Im not talking about a competition. Im talking about how far do you think (with my current numbers in program #1, do you think i can take my sets of 3 to? I want to get your opinion on when i will stall,ect.. I will get videos up of me blasting through 405 on the squat and 415 on the deadlift. Blast my CNS? what is this? Fairy world? Grow a set of nuts and lift. I feel like crap all the time. <Matter of fact, i should just go down to my basement and lift with no sleep and put a video up so you can see. Im not trying to be mean, but this is what im doing. And i should just accept the fact that no one will take me seriously until i prove you guys wrong. Im not sure if it is going to work but we will surely find out in literally 2 weeks.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im not talking about a competition. Im talking about how far do you think (with my current numbers in program #1, do you think i can take my sets of 3 to? I want to get your opinion on when i will stall,ect.. I will get videos up of me blasting through 405 on the squat and 415 on the deadlift. Blast my CNS? what is this? Fairy world? Grow a set of nuts and lift. I feel like crap all the time. <Matter of fact, i should just go down to my basement and lift with no sleep and put a video up so you can see. Im not trying to be mean, but this is what im doing. And i should just accept the fact that no one will take me seriously until i prove you guys wrong. Im not sure if it is going to work but we will surely find out in literally 2 weeks.
Assuming your first numbers posted are MAX triples and that is the most you could possible do on that day then you wont get far. There will most likely be a boost in numbers before your cns tanks. Then things will go backwards. I suggested you some text that talks about these very things, nonlinear conjugate training. Grow a pair? Look your numbers arnt all impressive and we all train when we doing feel 100 percent, this does not make you hardcore. Bad programming does not make you hardcore, if you make strength gains great. Maybe you shoulda looked up smolve or something. And please post videos, to make sure your form is on point so this is a true test of whether or not max triples day in and day out will produce strength gains in 3 movements with no assistence work.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yikes. Even on gear, this is a really really really bad idea. Did I forget to say this is a really bad idea? Maybe you think you are a god and not a human with human limitations lol

Have fun!

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
Assuming your first numbers posted are MAX triples and that is the most you could possible do on that day then you wont get far. There will most likely be a boost in numbers before your cns tanks. Then things will go backwards. I suggested you some text that talks about these very things, nonlinear conjugate training. Grow a pair? Look your numbers arnt all impressive and we all train when we doing feel 100 percent, this does not make you hardcore. Bad programming does not make you hardcore, if you make strength gains great. Maybe you shoulda looked up smolve or something. And please post videos, to make sure your form is on point so this is a true test of whether or not max triples day in and day out will produce strength gains in 3 movements with no assistence work.
Alright. im gonna try it. btw, what are your numbers? and some videos? Also, It is a very heavy 3 rep lift. Im not going to take a weight lifting by myself and risk failing every time. but, its going to be heavy to do so, and risk injury. It going to be hard. Just stick with me man.

Yikes. Even on gear, this is a really really really bad idea. Did I forget to say this is a really bad idea? Maybe you think you are a god and not a human with human limitations lol

Have fun!
thanks man.

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
Updates with videos coming soon. I can't post them yet because you need 50 posts. So im going around putting random stuff into threads. Stupid rule imo.

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
2/13/12:

Today was a great day. Hit everything i wanted to. Going to try to go 10 pounds every day. I know you might think that 100lbs in 10 days. Well. Yes. I don't know if i will go that high. But my goal is to hit at least 450 for 3 reps each. that would be amazing. I felt stronger than ever today. And i lifted yesterday. BOOM! i can't wait for another day tomorrow and more videos... Im honestly just hoping for all this to work out. Updates coming every day. VIDEO BELOW FROM TODAYS WORKOUT... FOOD FOOD FOOD!!!

Squat - 400x 3 reps (RAW)
[video=youtube;ESr29AyjtXo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESr29AyjtXo&context=C33b7dbaADOEgsToPDskJg YzWxmoE2KvRmPEmmOyh5[/video]

Deadlift - 415x 3 reps (RAW)
[video=youtube;WMPHMat-ipU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMPHMat-ipU&context=C341f4faADOEgsToPDskIT 9SDQFcvSKnIXQG_VKHXQ[/video]

Roniboney

Awards
I admire your poassion I really do but you need rest to grow.You must know that.

But the best olympic lifters in China lift everyday for hours,get stronger ect so it can be done.I would say though make sure you are warming up thoroughly,taking care of your joints,watch those knees also and are you including any upper body work or is it jsut squats and deads?

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Lifting heavy will also train your muscles to slow down. The slower you become, the harder it will be to get through that sticking point. That's why power lifters have speed days to offset the maximum effort days. If you wanna be fast you train fast, like sprinters, they don't jog to get faster!! Boxers hit a heavy bag AND adored bag.

Most important of all... Power=speed x strength !!!! That is the scientific equation for power in layman's terms.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your squat technique isn't too bad, but I can already tell that you need to increase your posterior chain and ab strength. Your deadlift looks really bad, though. The movement is not smooth and your ass pops up way too quickly. It also looks like your shoulders are in front of the bar at the beginning of the movement and it's throwing off your technique to where you're using predominantly upper back.

As to the program itself, it makes absolutely zero sense to do triples on both squats and deadlifts every week much less the same session. You're only 19 and have soooo much that you need to learn about programming, addressing weak areas, and, most importantly, technique.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lifting heavy will also train your muscles to slow down. The slower you become, the harder it will be to get through that sticking point. That's why power lifters have speed days to offset the maximum effort days. If you wanna be fast you train fast, like sprinters, they don't jog to get faster!! Boxers hit a heavy bag AND adored bag.

Most important of all... Power=speed x strength !!!! That is the scientific equation for power in layman's terms.
That first sentence is absolutely not true at all. You cannot lift a heavy weight slow. The dynamic effort is to assist with force development and technique, but it is not to offset the ME. The most power in terms of wattage comes from using weights in the 30-60% of 1RM range, which is roughly what is used in the conjugate method.

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
My form is fine. I might not be perfect. But im good with the deadlift training my lower back and the squat training my legs more. Im not curving my lumbar spine. My joints are healthy. Its just a different way than you like. My core is solid. I don't think its strong as hell. But its deff. good. Say what you want. But i might even go down and start doing squat twice a day instead of one. I mean like the guy said above. The Chinese lift all day. I don't see why i can't do the same. BOOM! Ill keep you updated. And yes, The more i lift the faster i become. You cannot lift a heavy weight fast. If you can max dead 200 and i can max dead 500. Im going to lift 150lb way faster than you could. its a basic principal.

But anyways, im making progress so why you guys hating? just wondering..

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
Your squat technique isn't too bad, but I can already tell that you need to increase your posterior chain and ab strength. Your deadlift looks really bad, though. The movement is not smooth and your ass pops up way too quickly. It also looks like your shoulders are in front of the bar at the beginning of the movement and it's throwing off your technique to where you're using predominantly upper back.

As to the program itself, it makes absolutely zero sense to do triples on both squats and deadlifts every week much less the same session. You're only 19 and have soooo much that you need to learn about programming, addressing weak areas, and, most importantly, technique.
Well, right now i don't have anyone to coach me. But if i ever did, i know i would thrive. I just need to find the right place. Im willing to sacrifice anything to get where i want to be. But like you said, ive never been taught by anyone but myself. Im just going to do what i do, and continue. If i stall or something, i will change things up. But for now, i feel fine.

Roniboney

Awards
My form is fine. I might not be perfect. But im good with the deadlift training my lower back and the squat training my legs more. Im not curving my lumbar spine. My joints are healthy. Its just a different way than you like. My core is solid. I don't think its strong as hell. But its deff. good. Say what you want. But i might even go down and start doing squat twice a day instead of one. I mean like the guy said above. The Chinese lift all day. I don't see why i can't do the same. BOOM! Ill keep you updated. And yes, The more i lift the faster i become. You cannot lift a heavy weight fast. If you can max dead 200 and i can max dead 500. Im going to lift 150lb way faster than you could. its a basic principal.

But anyways, im making progress so why you guys hating? just wondering..
I'm not hating.I'm just worried that you might hurt yourself.I'm nearly 23 now and I injured myself when I was 19.Tore my lower lumbar and herniated my l1-l2 disk.Kept me from lifting for nearly 3 months.That was all because of me squatting and DL'ing 4 days a week.I shudder to think how much stress your placing doing it 7 days.

But like I said it can be done for professional lifters.Go onto the stronglifts forums and people will advise you so much better than we can on here....perhaps

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
I'm not hating.I'm just worried that you might hurt yourself.I'm nearly 23 now and I injured myself when I was 19.Tore my lower lumbar and herniated my l1-l2 disk.Kept me from lifting for nearly 3 months.That was all because of me squatting and DL'ing 4 days a week.I shudder to think how much stress your placing doing it 7 days.

But like I said it can be done for professional lifters.Go onto the stronglifts forums and people will advise you so much better than we can on here....perhaps
brb, going to try 410-415x3. Video coming soon. 2nd session. here i come!

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
2/13/12: SECOND SESSION: Squat only.

Im back already. That was a lot tougher simply because my back was more fatigued than normal. If you watch closely my back starts to tip a bit at the second and third reps. I think it was stupid to go to 415x3 but whatever. I GOT IT! im so pumped. I am now NO MATTER HOW MANY SESSIONS I DO (no more than 1 for Deads. No more than 2 for squats per day) will no longer go up more than 10lbs per day. Simply because i think if i try to go up to far, i will end up injuring myself. So ill take you guys advice on the injury part.

Hopefully most of you people are subscribed to this thread. I would love to have you guys help me out along the way,,and hey... if i end up hitting my goal of 455x3 i will help you guys out. Tell you everything i did, and it will be a great success story for me. I can't wait for tomorrow morning!

VIDEO: Squat 415x3 :):)
[video=youtube;7njA2qcrgeo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7njA2qcrgeo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Roniboney

Awards
goddamn I will say this.You are very strong for a 19 year old man.How many hours was it from your first squat workout?

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
That first sentence is absolutely not true at all. You cannot lift a heavy weight slow. The dynamic effort is to assist with force development and technique, but it is not to offset the ME. The most power in terms of wattage comes from using weights in the 30-60% of 1RM range, which is roughly what is used in the conjugate method.
Btw auto correct changed my speed bag to adored bag. Lol
Rodja I have to disagree with u, when u lift maximal weight it goes up slower then light weight. If u never have a speed day u will get slower. U need speed to bust through the sticking point!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your technique needs a lot of work. Your upper back starts to round, your core is not strong enough, and you need hamstring and glute work. Set aside your desire for higher numbers and learn how to properly do the lift. Part of your problem is your approach: they are movements and you should be trained as such. To work the squat solely as a means to train legs and the deadlift just to train the erectors is going to limit your numbers.

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Speed day according to westside barbell is 50-60% of maximal weight plus accommodating resistance in a pendulum wave.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Btw auto correct changed my speed bag to adored bag. Lol
Rodja I have to disagree with u, when u lift maximal weight it goes up slower then light weight. If u never have a speed day u will get slower. U need speed to bust through the sticking point!
The weight goes up slower, but that does not mean you are lifting the weight slowly. Think of a jump as an example: you can't try to jump slowly if you're attempting to hit a new PR. The same principle applies to a ME.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Speed day according to westside barbell is 50-60% of maximal weight plus accommodating resistance in a pendulum wave.
For the raw lifter, many of the principles employed by Westside do not apply (e.g. accommodating resistance for every DE). The speed day for Westside varies from 40-50% for bench and 50-60% for squatting. The 30% number comes from studies measuring power output in terms of wattage. Believe it or not, Westside is not the be all, end all of strength training. I'm by no means saying it's crap, but it is incomplete.

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
I understand i need work in other areas and its going to limit me if i don't train things like GHR, ect.. but for now im working for what i have. And to be honest. If i do get to 450 what will you say.. that im weak or something? Im just going to do this. Ill see how it works out.

And if speed becomes an issue for real, i can add a couple sets of 3 with like 225 at the end to do that. But for now, im good with whats going on.

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
Your technique needs a lot of work. Your upper back starts to round, your core is not strong enough, and you need hamstring and glute work. Set aside your desire for higher numbers and learn how to properly do the lift. Part of your problem is your approach: they are movements and you should be trained as such. To work the squat solely as a means to train legs and the deadlift just to train the erectors is going to limit your numbers.
Like i said, i agree with you, but the squat deadlift and bench are 3 compound exercises. If i work on GHR only for i month my Squat (which has the most carryover) is not going to go up. It might, and paired with the GHR it might. But the program i am doing right now is different from anything else. Tomorrow im going to keep moving up. Maybe i will fail one of these times. who knows. Im just hoping for the best.

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
goddamn I will say this.You are very strong for a 19 year old man.How many hours was it from your first squat workout?
I think 4. can't remember. I didn't want to wait too long because my body was actually pretty lose going into the second workout.

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
The weight goes up slower, but that does not mean you are lifting the weight slowly. Think of a jump as an example: you can't try to jump slowly if you're attempting to hit a new PR. The same principle applies to a ME.
That's true your muscles have to contract extremely hard for maximal weight, but u also don't try to jump with maximal weight. Jumping is plyometric, ur muscles are relaxed then forced to contract extremely hard. Same with speed bench. The goal being to shorten the amortization phase of the lift. This is what speed work does.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I understand i need work in other areas and its going to limit me if i don't train things like GHR, ect.. but for now im working for what i have. And to be honest. If i do get to 450 what will you say.. that im weak or something? Im just going to do this. Ill see how it works out.

And if speed becomes an issue for real, i can add a couple sets of 3 with like 225 at the end to do that. But for now, im good with whats going on.
What I will say is that you're being young and stupid. You can do good mornings, stiff legged deads, BB lunges, front squats, and other lifts to address your weak spots.

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
For the raw lifter, many of the principles employed by Westside do not apply (e.g. accommodating resistance for every DE). The speed day for Westside varies from 40-50% for bench and 50-60% for squatting. The 30% number comes from studies measuring power output in terms of wattage. Believe it or not, Westside is not the be all, end all of strength training. I'm by no means saying it's crap, but it is incomplete.
Blasphemer!!!! Lol

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
What I will say is that you're being young and stupid. You can do good mornings, stiff legged deads, BB lunges, front squats, and other lifts to address your weak spots.
Should i add good mornings at the end of each day instead of suitcase deads? Would that help. And lunges are crap. I don't believe in them. I trained them singly and they weakened my squat (in the past) and i felt like a stick legged boy. Front squats are good. I should throw those in maybe on the 2nd part of the day. SLD are good, but my deads are already like that if you watch the video. I know my form isn't perfect but everything is in lin enough so injury will not happen. sure i might not be making the best LONG term choices, but if i can eventually squat/deadlift 450 for reps theres really nothing else to talk about imo. i would be ecstatic.

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
I would agree, the most important thing in my workouts is week point training. Lower body I work my posterior chain hard

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like i said, i agree with you, but the squat deadlift and bench are 3 compound exercises. If i work on GHR only for i month my Squat (which has the most carryover) is not going to go up. It might, and paired with the GHR it might. But the program i am doing right now is different from anything else. Tomorrow im going to keep moving up. Maybe i will fail one of these times. who knows. Im just hoping for the best.
GHR is an assistance lift and should be treated as such. No person in their right mind is going to recommend solely working on them. Honestly, there is very little design and programming in your template.

That's true your muscles have to contract extremely hard for maximal weight, but u also don't try to jump with maximal weight. Jumping is plyometric, ur muscles are relaxed then forced to contract extremely hard. Same with speed bench. The goal being to shorten the amortization phase of the lift. This is what speed work does.
It's not about the weight; it is about increasing the rate of force development and bar speed.

The jumping was an example of how you still have to have maximal contraction and speed even with a ME. Although it is not weighted, the same principles apply to a maximal high jump as they do to a squat.

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
GHR is an assistance lift and should be treated as such. No person in their right mind is going to recommend solely working on them. Honestly, there is very little design and programming in your template.
I agree with you. Its very dull. BUT, in the end, if i can lift more weight, i WILL be stronger. So are you just saying that you are doubting me? Take for example, you work other movements soley, and come back lifting 300 for 5 reps with it previously being only 2 reps. But i do my program and end up hitting 340 for 3 reps. I guarantee you i can move that 300 for 5 reps just as quick as you can. Therefore, everything will strength. Doing main things is good, but i think your missing the fact that squatting is a compound exercise. It works everything. If i progress the squat, there is no need to work on anything else. If i start to decline (which could happen), then yea. Maybe deload a bit, and start working more assistance work that will help my weak points. But from here on, as long as im improving, nothing else matters. Ill go from here till 5000 pounds if possible. Obviously not. But you get what i mean.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with you. Its very dull. BUT, in the end, if i can lift more weight, i WILL be stronger. So are you just saying that you are doubting me? Take for example, you work other movements soley, and come back lifting 300 for 5 reps with it previously being only 2 reps. But i do my program and end up hitting 340 for 3 reps. I guarantee you i can move that 300 for 5 reps just as quick as you can. Therefore, everything will strength. Doing main things is good, but i think your missing the fact that squatting is a compound exercise. It works everything. If i progress the squat, there is no need to work on anything else. If i start to decline (which could happen), then yea. Maybe deload a bit, and start working more assistance work that will help my weak points. But from here on, as long as im improving, nothing else matters. Ill go from here till 5000 pounds if possible. Obviously not. But you get what i mean.
Ugh, kids these days....

It is true that squats are a compound exercise, but, if you choose to neglect assistance work, all you will do is increase the gap in your strengths and weakness. You do not get stronger at the squat by squatting; you get stronger at the squat by addressing your technique and your weak spots. You already have noticeable imbalances and they will only become more prominent unless you address them.

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
Ugh, kids these days....

It is true that squats are a compound exercise, but, if you choose to neglect assistance work, all you will do is increase the gap in your strengths and weakness. You do not get stronger at the squat by squatting; you get stronger at the squat by addressing your technique and your weak spots. You already have noticeable imbalances and they will only become more prominent unless you address them.
Sorry, but it really doesn't make sense. If im getting stronger on the squat, than that means im not getting stronger because im not addressing the weaknesses? And if i can squat 100lbs more, im sure my WEAK points are going to suk hard when i go back to that weight.

for example,, if my weak point is half way through when my back start going forward. What i can do is some good morning/Front squats to correct that and strengthen that. But if my squat continues to go up without that, will i always not be able to move that weight i struggled with at first and have problems all the time? NO. Because if i increase my squat, everything else will go up. My speed with that weight that use to be heavy will be easy and i will blast throught that so called weak point you think i never address.

Im not understanding your theory. But to a point. If i stall which could happen, maybe tomorrow? maybe in a week? Maybe in a couple days? I will most likely have to deload and start doing other work to strengthen my weak points. Simple as that. right now, everyone including me has weak points. The bigger your squat gets, your fine. simply because those weak points with get stronger.

If im doing the squat and there is a weak point in the squat, then the weak point must be getting WEAKENED AND FATIGUED because i am working it. Therefore it is going to grow due to the stress. It might hold me back. but why change things up when your progressing? Makes no sense.

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Sorry, but it really doesn't make sense. If im getting stronger on the squat, than that means im not getting stronger because im not addressing the weaknesses? And if i can squat 100lbs more, im sure my WEAK points are going to suk hard when i go back to that weight.

for example,, if my weak point is half way through when my back start going forward. What i can do is some good morning/Front squats to correct that and strengthen that. But if my squat continues to go up without that, will i always not be able to move that weight i struggled with at first and have problems all the time? NO. Because if i increase my squat, everything else will go up. My speed with that weight that use to be heavy will be easy and i will blast throught that so called weak point you think i never address.

Im not understanding your theory. But to a point. If i stall which could happen, maybe tomorrow? maybe in a week? Maybe in a couple days? I will most likely have to deload and start doing other work to strengthen my weak points. Simple as that. right now, everyone including me has weak points. The bigger your squat gets, your fine. simply because those weak points with get stronger.

If im doing the squat and there is a weak point in the squat, then the weak point must be getting WEAKENED AND FATIGUED because i am working it. Therefore it is going to grow due to the stress. It might hold me back. but why change things up when your progressing? Makes no sense.
You will make progress, your young and full of testosterone. But eventually without strengthening ur posterior chain ur progress will come to a screeching halt.

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
You will make progress, your young and full of testosterone. But eventually without strengthening ur posterior chain ur progress will come to a screeching halt.
I agree, When that happens, i will address it. And testosterone does nothing. Its all CNS..imo of course. I mean would you accept coming to a complete halt while repping 450? I wouldn't mind stopping there. Thats when i will address any weakness. Because im f-in satisfied with that. would you not be satisfied with that?

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
I agree, When that happens, i will address it. And testosterone does nothing. Its all CNS..imo of course. I mean would you accept coming to a complete halt while repping 450? I wouldn't mind stopping there. Thats when i will address any weakness. Because im f-in satisfied with that. would you not be satisfied with that?
Lol if ur satisfied then I guess that's what matters, it is after all ur body and ur workout. Me, I'm never satisfied!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcKs6dbVPs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
Lol if ur satisfied then I guess that's what matters, it is after all ur body and ur workout. Me, I'm never satisfied!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcKs6dbVPs&feature=youtube_gdata_player
lol.. Im not saying im satisfied like im done, but i plan on playing football in college or doing MMA so i don't think anything over 500 is really worth putting a crap load of time in. I have a good plan, right now im trying to gain maximal strength. phase 1. btw,, Is that really you in that video?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i hold a 475 squat, 275 bench, and 501 deadlift in comp at a bw of 201 at 20 years old

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
lol.. Im not saying im satisfied like im done, but i plan on playing football in college or doing MMA so i don't think anything over 500 is really worth putting a crap load of time in. I have a good plan, right now im trying to gain maximal strength. phase 1. btw,, Is that really you in that video?
Look at my pics, it might be hard to tell... I'll post a Zercher deadlift video tomorrow. U should see my face in that one. Btw I love MMA. Back in the day I loved the Tank Abbot, Pat Smith, u know all the strikers, now I LOVE some ju-jitsu

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Let me see if I can restate this:

You're young, inexperienced, and need to take a step back and listen. You currently have muscular imbalances and, without specific attention, this imbalance will become larger. A squat does not address a certain muscle because it is a compound movement and you will not become stronger at the squat by simply squatting. All you will do is use your strong areas and leave the weak areas behind. Now, you become better at the squat due to neural programming and improving technique, but that does not mean that you have become stronger from a muscular standpoint. I have seen someone add 50lbs to their squat overnight just from improving their setup under the bar. Did they magically become stronger from a muscular standpoint? No, but they addressed a specific weak area and they subsequently improved their numbers.

It takes years to master technique and you have shown that you need a **** load of work in this area, which should be your focus at your age, but what do I know? I only have a decade of experience and two degrees in the field.