Sweetlou's training log

Page 10 of 240 First ... 89101112 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on one or not. They're pricey, but I think I can talk the wife into it...I'll tell her it makes my weenis bigger.
    Get it. If you have a chance to get one, then do it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. 7/9/12-ME Squat/Pull
    GPP: Walking with the prowler using my belt. 70lbs on the prowler, 200 meters, 3 sets.
    Suspended Cambered Bar GM
    200x3
    90%-225x1
    95%-240x1
    105%-260x1 PR
    GHRs
    bwx10,6,4,3,2
    Reverse Hypers
    180x15
    270x10
    320x12,12
    Strapped Cable Crunches
    90x10
    110x10
    130x10
    90x10
    Notes: Great session. Read an article by mark bell that cleared up how to hold my abs. Made a big difference today.
    •   

3. 7/11/12-ME Bench
    GPP: Box Squat Jumps to platform for 3 jumps+5 bw pullups+10 Medicine ball wall slams. 3 sets. Idk the jump height but was kinda hard.
    Chins
    bwx5,5
    Pin Presses of the chest
    225x3
    250x1
    90%-270x1
    95-97%-290x1
    102-103%-310x0 form came undone and I wasnt 100% today so I dropped the weight
    90%-270x1
    Dips+Chins
    Bw+25lbsx10/Bwx5 for 5 sets. This got me 50 total weighted dips and 50 total chins
    Kroc Rows w/ Fat Gripz
    70x20,20
    Ytls+Pullaparts
    15x10 each way/microx25
    15x10 each way/microx25
    Notes: Read the assistence layout for 5/3/1 again and jim got me thinking. He mentioned about doing the lift to build muscle or to build the movement. This is what I was doing with dips and some other lifts. He also recommends 100 chins a week, 100 bw dips or 50 weight dips if doing dips, 50-100 pullaparts a day for a better raw bench. Also joe defranco recommends daily pullapart for posture and shoulder health. I have bad ac joints so ive started daily pullaparts with a micro mini for now ill move up in time. I also need to not try to PR on both ME days and pick one and go for it. Like picking lifts to rep out on when doing 5/3/1.

4. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    7/11/12-ME Bench
    GPP: Box Squat Jumps to platform for 3 jumps+5 bw pullups+10 Medicine ball wall slams. 3 sets. Idk the jump height but was kinda hard.
    Chins
    bwx5,5
    Pin Presses of the chest
    225x3
    250x1
    90%-270x1
    95-97%-290x1
    102-103%-310x0 form came undone and I wasnt 100% today so I dropped the weight
    90%-270x1
    Dips+Chins
    Bw+25lbsx10/Bwx5 for 5 sets. This got me 50 total weighted dips and 50 total chins
    Kroc Rows w/ Fat Gripz
    70x20,20
    Ytls+Pullaparts
    15x10 each way/microx25
    15x10 each way/microx25
    Notes: Read the assistence layout for 5/3/1 again and jim got me thinking. He mentioned about doing the lift to build muscle or to build the movement. This is what I was doing with dips and some other lifts. He also recommends 100 chins a week, 100 bw dips or 50 weight dips if doing dips, 50-100 pullaparts a day for a better raw bench. Also joe defranco recommends daily pullapart for posture and shoulder health. I have bad ac joints so ive started daily pullaparts with a micro mini for now ill move up in time. I also need to not try to PR on both ME days and pick one and go for it. Like picking lifts to rep out on when doing 5/3/1.
    I've had that same thing going through my head lately and have backed off of the intensity on my assistance movements, especially on rows.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I've had that same thing going through my head lately and have backed off of the intensity on my assistance movements, especially on rows.
    Well I need to decide why im doing the lift. I use to always do dips to get stronger at dips instead of using them to build my bench. But I do have a select few lifts I keep the intensity up on. Kroc rows, sohp, jm press, ghrs, and goodmornings.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    Well I need to decide why im doing the lift. I use to always do dips to get stronger at dips instead of using them to build my bench. But I do have a select few lifts I keep the intensity up on. Kroc rows, sohp, jm press, ghrs, and goodmornings.
    Pardon my ignorance here; how is doing dips to improve your strength not translating to improving your bench? Wouldn't the increase in dip strength inherently translate to bench?

I'm starting to like the WSB approach to improving indicator lifts. Love 5/3/1, but the WSB approach is making more sense to me lately.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance here; how is doing dips to improve your strength not translating to improving your bench? Wouldn't the increase in dip strength inherently translate to bench?

I'm starting to like the WSB approach to improving indicator lifts. Love 5/3/1, but the WSB approach is making more sense to me lately.
    More or less it comes down to the form that gets used. I use dips for my triceps with some extra pec/delt work. When I was doing dips to get better at dips I would use far more chest/delts bc it was the weight lifted that mattered and not the muscle used and couldnt really fire my tris. This in turn led to me firing with my delt first before my tris when benching. A form error that has slowed my progress and im just starting to overcome thanks to floor presses. I hope this makes sense.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post

the WSB method is great however youll need some time and patience. It requires a good bit of reading to understand when and what to do. Where to start and what lifts to try. Id recommed the ME method by jim wendler, the DE squat manuel by elite fts, training templates by elite fts, the westside barbell book of methods, as well as reading articles by jim, dave, louis, and mark bell regarding this style.

9. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    More or less it comes down to the form that gets used. I use dips for my triceps with some extra pec/delt work. When I was doing dips to get better at dips I would use far more chest/delts bc it was the weight lifted that mattered and not the muscle used and couldnt really fire my tris. This in turn led to me firing with my delt first before my tris when benching. A form error that has slowed my progress and im just starting to overcome thanks to floor presses. I hope this makes sense.
    Yes, that does make sense. Thanks.

10. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    the WSB method is great however youll need some time and patience. It requires a good bit of reading to understand when and what to do. Where to start and what lifts to try. Id recommed the ME method by jim wendler, the DE squat manuel by elite fts, training templates by elite fts, the westside barbell book of methods, as well as reading articles by jim, dave, louis, and mark bell regarding this style.
    I sometimes think I plan more intensely than I train, and this should reinforce that further!

11. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    I really, really like the ME method by Wendler along with EFS Basic Training. A lot of the ME method is in the Basic Training ebook, so getting both is a bit redundant.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

12. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I really, really like the ME method by Wendler along with EFS Basic Training. A lot of the ME method is in the Basic Training ebook, so getting both is a bit redundant.
    Same here, great book.

13. 7/13/12-DE Squat/Pull
    GPP: Box Squat to Jump Platform for 3 jumps+5 tired flips. 3 Sets.
    DE Box Squat w/ Light Bands
    200+bandsx8x2
    Speed Conv alt w/ Sumo Pulls+60lbs of chain
    Conv-345+chainsx3x1
    Sumo-345+chainx3x1
    Suit Case Deadlifts
    135x5,5
    135x5,5
    185x3,3
    Notes: Great day today. I finally learned how to hold my abs and was able to blast thru these sets. My gym partner was like, so you hit all those numbers with basically no help from your core? I hate you. The pulls were fast and I hit the groove for both conv and sumo easy today. My raw max for sumo is 405. So I was doing speed work with 345+60lbs of chain at the top. What a difference your core makes. Excited for bench tomorrow.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    I sometimes think I plan more intensely than I train, and this should reinforce that further!
    it

Planning makes you prepared, so it is important. Prepare, perform, prevail.

15. You should put that on a t shirt!

16. Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    You should put that on a t shirt!
    It is on a T shirt =p

17. Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    It is on a T shirt =p
    Twas a joke...I have the shirt.

18. I didnt truely understand the shirt until I started training wsc and competed.

19. 7/14/12-DE Bench
    GPP: Med Ball Wall slams+Med Ball Floor slams+Keg Cleans and Presses-3 sets of 10 each
    Chins:
    35 total, gonna lower these to 50 total a week or less so I can recover better and focus on rows.
    DE Bench w/ Doubled up Monster Minis
    135+bandsx6x3 3 diff grips
    Jm Press
    65%-105x5
    75%-125x5
    85%-140x5
    SOHP
    50%-95x3x10
    Iso Hammer High Rows
    140x15
    180x3x12
    Notes: Really tired from yesterdays training. Got thru today tho. Good overall session. Things are starting to click and I felt strong on bench holding my abs. Didnt arch as hard for DE and wont so I can save my arch for ME work.

20. 7/16/12-ME Squat/Pull
    GPP: Box Squat jumps to platform+reverse hypers-4 sets of each, 3 jumps, and 90x10
    Conv Deficite Pulls
    90%-405x1
    95%-425x1
    100%-455x1
    105%-475x0
    GHRs
    bwx2x10
    Avg Band Gms
    2x20
    Standing Strapped Cable Crunches+Pullaparts w/ a micro mini
    80x12/25
    100x10/25
    100x10/25
    100x10/25
    Notes: Pretty crappy session. My partner picked the deficit height which was retarded. My groove and form was pretty crap from rep 1 at 135. I couldnt get low enough and keep my knees perpendicular to the ground. Even with this all the numbers came up pretty easy except 475 which stalled right below my knees. I guess these we Pr numbers as the deficit was higher but in my mind I got no PR today and im pretty much stalled on every lift. Im most likely gonna decrease the amount of ME lifts I have to pick from for awhile and focus on really getting thru this. Im also torn between switching from conv to sumo. As of late my sumo has been feeling good and I think with some focus and assistence lifts for my hips it could probably pass my conv pull. I also notice I really have no problem breaking the floor so im not sure deficit pulls will really help me much right now.

21. How high was the deficit?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

22. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    How high was the deficit?
    Last time I did those it was off an ivenko 45lb plate with wrestling shoes. This time was off a mat, prob half an inch higher with chuckes. So about 3/4 inch higher deficit. Not sure the height I can find out.

23. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    Last time I did those it was off an ivenko 45lb plate with wrestling shoes. This time was off a mat, prob half an inch higher with chuckes. So about 3/4 inch higher deficit. Not sure the height I can find out.
    That's not bad. I saw some kids, and I mean HS age kids, pulling off a 12" box. It's amazing the dumb **** that so many of them do these days.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

24. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    That's not bad. I saw some kids, and I mean HS age kids, pulling off a 12" box. It's amazing the dumb **** that so many of them do these days.
    No not bad, just a bit much for me to keep good form. But that is nuts, I feel bad for their lumbars.

25. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    No not bad, just a bit much for me to keep good form. But that is nuts, I feel bad for their lumbars.
    There was one duo that I actually had to at least try to stop. The oldest was maybe 14 and he was trying to teach the other one, who was about 12, to do a power clean. Nevermind the fact that neither of them could actually deadlift the bar into position properly, they "knew what they were doing."
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-21-2007, 12:44 PM
  2. Supplement schedule of training vs no training days
    By parttimer in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 02:43 PM
  3. Training Volume vs Training Frequency!! Read and think!
    By Landmonster in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 08:12 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 11:00 PM
  5. Replies: 98
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 01:27 AM