Sweetlou's training log

Page 10 of 190 First ... 89101112 ... Last

1. Looks like a great session, Lou. Keep at it!

I have a vacation planned in a little over a week for 9 days out of the country. It's going to be a great time, but I'm going to hate being out of the gym for that time! I knew I'd get addicted to powerlifting once I got back into it, and that's exactly what has happened.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html

2. Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Looks like a great session, Lou. Keep at it!

I have a vacation planned in a little over a week for 9 days out of the country. It's going to be a great time, but I'm going to hate being out of the gym for that time! I knew I'd get addicted to powerlifting once I got back into it, and that's exactly what has happened.
    Thanks man, Im really trying to move forward and build a good groove going into school. Yea I know how you feel. Its just such a nice sport, just a tad addicting. But missing a day here and there is nice sometimes.
    •   

3. 8/3/12-DE Squat/Pull
    GPP: Box squat jumps 6x3
    DE Box Squat with 80lbs of chain
    235+chainsx10x2
    Speed Sumo Pulls
    275x8x1 got some vids, was doing this for form work.
    Sumo RDLs w/ Kettlebells
    55lbsx10
    70lbsx10
    GHRs
    Bwx5,5
    Suitcase Deadlifts
    135x2x5,5
    Notes: Great session. Box squat were good, really getting a good groove for my squat. Loaded my hips a lil more then im use to and I felt it. Did some form work with sumo pulls. And tried a new lift today, its like a pullthrough but with a kettlebell. Didnt get close to failure on assistence work it and it helped a ton.

4. Post those videos when you can.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Post those videos when you can.
    Just got em on my computer, will upload to youtube in a min.
    •   

6. 8/4/12-ME Squat/Pull
    GPP: Med Ball Wall slams+floor slams+keg presses
    Chins
    Bwx5,5,5,5
    DE Reverse Band Floor Press w/ Doubled Minis
    185+bandsx9x3 3 diff grips
    SOHP
    65%-120x5
    75%-140x5
    85%-155x5
    JM Press
    50%-80x5x10
    Reverse Band Bench Rows w/ Doubled Light Bands
    Notes: Great session. Really hitting a good groove between Me, De, and Re. I was blasting the floor press up. I read an article by mark bell on bench form and it reminded me of a few things ive forgotten. SOHP was a lil slow but good.

7. That ME looked fantastic, especially at the deficit. You've definitely found a nice groove on them.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    That ME looked fantastic, especially at the deficit. You've definitely found a nice groove on them.
    Thanks man, things just clicked a few weeks ago. Ive got another vid ill try to get up. My gym partner has it on his phone. Its my ME ace pro squatter straps up sumo pull. It was my second attempt at 550. Got both but tried to get more pop out of the suit.

9. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    Thanks man, things just clicked a few weeks ago. Ive got another vid ill try to get up. My gym partner has it on his phone. Its my ME ace pro squatter straps up sumo pull. It was my second attempt at 550. Got both but tried to get more pop out of the suit.
    I tried out my suit with the straps down on Monday and hit a big PR. I'm really looking forward to pulling in full gear in a few weeks once I get the groove of it down.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

10. 8/8/12-ME Squat/Pull
    GPP: Dragging the prowler backwards with my belt.
    Sumo Pull w/ Ace Pro Squatter
    315x1
    Add suit straps down
    365x1
    405x1
    455x1
    Straps up loose
    505x1
    Straps up tighter
    550x1,1 PR
    Standing Cable Crunches w/ Spud Straps
    110x10
    130x10
    140x7,7 PR
    Cable Pullthroughs w/ Rope
    did 3-4 sets almost maxed out the weight stack. Will stick to kettlebell swings.
    Notes: Had geared squat work planned but my gym partner injured his glute last friday so we didnt make the drive to OBB to use their monolift. So I did geared sumo work instead. My raw sumo max is 405 atm. So I got 150lbs out of the suit and im just starting to push my sumo overall. I was getting great pop out the bottom until I put the straps up. Then the weight started to blow up. The hardest part of the 550 pull was getting in the hole without losing to much energy. My grip was also being torn up as I pull with a hook grip. The first 550 was just muscled up the second was much more technical. I have a vid of the second attempt, Ill see if i can get it from my gym partner. Another mention is Ive blown up to 222lbs, and my previously loose suit is now tight. We had to use the rack to pry it off me lol.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I tried out my suit with the straps down on Monday and hit a big PR. I'm really looking forward to pulling in full gear in a few weeks once I get the groove of it down.
    I saw that, good stuff. I will have be more of raw lifter for now with school coming up and a busy schedule ill hardly ever have time to make the drive to a monolift to use my suit.

12. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    I saw that, good stuff. I will have be more of raw lifter for now with school coming up and a busy schedule ill hardly ever have time to make the drive to a monolift to use my suit.
    I'm finally starting to get a nice, consistent schedule to meet up with a group of guys so I can get into all of my gear frequently. It sucked looking at my shirt for a month and not using it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

13. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I'm finally starting to get a nice, consistent schedule to meet up with a group of guys so I can get into all of my gear frequently. It sucked looking at my shirt for a month and not using it.
    Thats how I feel about my squat suit.

14. 8/8/12-ME Bench
    GPP: Med Ball Wall and Floor slams with chins
    Close Grip 3 Board Press
    275x3
    300x3
    315x3
    345x2
    Kroc Rows w/ Fat Gripz
    70x23,23 PR
    Flat DB Press w/ Mini Band
    40x15
    50x15
    55x15
    Unilateral Micro Band Face Pulls+BB Shrugs+Side Laterals
    20/135x20/5x20
    20/135x20/5x20
    20/135x20/5x20
    Notes: Great day again. Wasnt 100 percent so stuck with triples on close grip 3 board again. Didnt quite get a new 3 board PR but still moved some weight. Kroc rows sucked, but when do they dont? The band db press were worse then straight weight. The last giant set with more of a prehab/rehab complex to really hit the upperback and delts. Felt great esp for the heavy work on monday.

15. 8/10/12-DE Lower
    Main work was speed sumo pulls for form work. Hips were having box squats this day.

8/11/12-DE Upper
    Main work was Reverse band floor press with short light bands. 225x9x3
    SOHP
    70-120x3
    80-140x3
    90-165x3

8/13/12-ME Lower
    GPP: Power cleans w/ 135
    Reverse band GMs with light bands
    405x5 to much band weight
    Front squat
    185x5 to play around with form
    GHRs
    bwx12,10,8,8
    Cable Crunches
    140x9 PR

Notes: also tried zercher squats, not man enough for this atm lol

8/15/12-ME Upper
    GPP: Med ball work
    Reverse Band bench with doubled minis+micros
    280x2
    315x1
    335x1 all came up fast and easy. Form was on 100%.
    Strapped Kroc rows w/ fat gripz
    120+15lbs chainx26,26 PR
    Tricep Hell w/ close grips, 135lbs
    5 boardx5
    4 boardx5
    3 boardx5
    2 boardx5
    1 boardx5
    2 boardx5
    3 boardx5
    4 boardx5
    5 boardx5
    Scarcrows to finish and shoulder stretches.

8/17/12-DE Lower
    GPP: Walking and pulling the prowler
    DE Mock SSB Box Squats w/ 60lbs chains and moderate width stance
    190+chainx10x2
    Speed Sumo Pull w/ 60lbs chain
    275+chainx8x1
    ABductors/Adductors
    15 reps each way for 2 sets
    Leg Raises+90 degree hypers
    bwx12/12
    bwx12/12
    bwx12/12
    Notes: All my sumo muscles were sore and tight but still got into the groove. My deadlift bar is brand new and just rips open my shins. Already ripped thru my socks. I have been duct taping my legs. Any other tips?

16. 8/18/12-DE Bench
    GPP: Med ball slams and chins
    DE Bench with 60lbs chain
    135+chainx9x3
    JM Press
    60-105x7
    70-120x7
    80-135x7
    SOHP+Iso Hammer High Rows
    95/180x10/10
    95/180x10/10
    95/180x10/10
    95/180x10/10
    Notes: Good session, didnt use my comp arch for de work and blew the weight up bc my back wasnt being fried. JM Press tore my tris up again. School starts monday so training may be a lil affected but not by much. Ill make it all work.

17. Those Kroc rows with chains sound awful.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

18. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Those Kroc rows with chains sound awful.
    My back was sore for a whole week after them. But all I keep thinking about is a 600lb pull.

19. 8/20/12-ME Lower
    GPP: Steve Pucinellas (cant sleep it), 3/2/1s
    Reverse Band Mock SSB GMs w/ Monsters
    315x3
    365x3
    405x3
    GHRs
    Bwx10,8,8
    Reverse Hypers
    180x15
    270x12,12
    Standing Cable Crunches
    100x10
    120x10
    140x10 PR
    Notes: Im sore.

20. 8/22/12-ME Upper
    GPP: Med Ball slams+chins
    Reverse Band Bench w/ minis and micros
    225x3
    250x3
    280x3
    300x3
    315x5 trying to rebuild my benching confidence.
    Kroc Rows w/ Fat Gripz
    75x20,20
    2 Board Bench w/ 60lbs of chain
    135+chainx4x10
    Scarcrows
    5x12,12,12

8/24/12-DE Lower
    GPP: Prowler work
    DE Close Stance Mock SSB Box Squats with 85lb chain
    205+chainx12x2
    Speed Conv Pulls w/ Light Bands
    275x8x1
    Reverse Hyper Leg Curls
    90x12,12,12
    Side Bends
    55x10,10/10,10/10,10

8/25/12-DE Upper
    GPP: Med Ball Slams
    DE Bench w/ 85lbs of Chain
    135+chainx9x3
    JM Press
    65=110x5
    75-125x5
    85-145x7, fixed some form issues
    SOHP
    50-95x4x10
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns
    110x10
    130x10
    150x10
    170x10
    Band Pullapart 7 super series
    microx70 reps

21. I can relate when you talk about rebuilding bench confidence as it is something that I struggle with frequently.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

22. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I can relate when you talk about rebuilding bench confidence as it is something that I struggle with frequently.
    Its coming together, im starting to enjoy ME bench again and really get in a good groove. On a second note. My hips have been hurting bc of the all the sumo pulling I had been doing. Is there anything you suggest I do to strengthin/maintain my hip health and continue to learn this lift? I dont wanna be limited to conv only bc of my hips.

23. 8/27/12-ME Lower
    Conv Pull w/ 100lbs of chain
    405+chainx1 matched PR
    Notes: I did more work, just dont wanna type it all this time. Anyways I had to switch back to conv bc my hip started to really get beat up from all the sumo and I had to rest them. Sucks bc sumo was really feeling good. Conv was way off today form wise bc I havent been doing it. Still matched a PR so I am stronger.

24. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    Its coming together, im starting to enjoy ME bench again and really get in a good groove. On a second note. My hips have been hurting bc of the all the sumo pulling I had been doing. Is there anything you suggest I do to strengthin/maintain my hip health and continue to learn this lift? I dont wanna be limited to conv only bc of my hips.
    Briefs have helped immensely along with unilateral leg work (e.g. Bulgarian split squats) to keep the hips loose. It takes awhile for the hips to adjust to the stance and it's usually the small muscles of the ab/adductors that determine progress. Listen to your body and know when to back off on the pulling as it is difficult to both pull and squat with a wide stance consistently if not in some good gear.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

25. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Briefs have helped immensely along with unilateral leg work (e.g. Bulgarian split squats) to keep the hips loose. It takes awhile for the hips to adjust to the stance and it's usually the small muscles of the ab/adductors that determine progress. Listen to your body and know when to back off on the pulling as it is difficult to both pull and squat with a wide stance consistently if not in some good gear.
    Thanks man, Ill add in some unilateral leg work and continue to do both ab/adductors. My conv pull is stronger then my sumo, but sumo feels better. I can also grind out a hard ME pull sumo much better then I can conv. It seems if the pull gets to a certain point, I either get it or miss it completely. Where sumo I can grind out better.

26. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    Where sumo I can grind out better.
    I would imagine that it's probably because sumo has a shorter range of motion.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html

27. Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    I would imagine that it's probably because sumo has a shorter range of motion.
    I hold form better under max loads with sumo. With conv I either hit the lift, or come completely undone right off the floor.

28. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    I hold form better under max loads with sumo. With conv I either hit the lift, or come completely undone right off the floor.
    Yeah, I feel with hip-hinge-dominant movements like the conventional you definitely do either hit or miss with those. I know I still have never missed a good morning, for instance, that I moved more than and inch and a half.

29. I'm just the opposite in this regard. I can grind out a conventional, but not a sumo. Granted I can pull more sumo. I have a very hard time grinding an Olympic squat, but a PL squat, more hip dominant, I can grind... Maybe I'm weird.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-21-2007, 01:44 PM
  2. Supplement schedule of training vs no training days
    By parttimer in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 03:43 PM
  3. Training Volume vs Training Frequency!! Read and think!
    By Landmonster in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 09:12 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 12:00 AM
  5. Replies: 98
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 02:27 AM