Best way to make stubborn abs show?

SpikeDC

SpikeDC

Awards
Im 37, been working out for several years, have a lean defined build except for my abs. Im 5'10, 150, but I cant stand my stomach and cannot get it defined. Rest of my body is defined and I feel like my stomach wont get defined and show abs. So im trying to cut now by following a really strict diet and taking 3grams CLA/daily and a thermogen similar to Hydroxycut, plus 3 protein shakes a day, flax seed oil , Also using Dymatize XPAND for my workouts

Meals:
First--5 egg whites, 3 oz turkey breast, 2 whole grain rice cakes w/Natural PB, 1/3 cup oatmeal
Second--protein shake with water/skim few strawberries, flax seed oil

workout

Third--4ozchixbreast, 1 cup vegetables. Myoplex shake, apple
Fourth--4oz chixbreast, i cup vegetables, rice cake w/nat PB
5ith--4 oz chixbreast, 1 cup vegetables, whole grain rice
6th--21 grams protien w/water and strawberries, flax seed, 5 eggwhites.

So you can see my diet is good.

What are the best supplements to cut, so i can see my abs?
Pic of me attached

Attachments

kw1k

Awards
well you already are pretty lean.. you just need to go HEAVY on abs.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
You could try some napalm or similar topical fat loss product for spot reduction. You could similarly go the napalm+clen route although, I'd recommend that you thoroughly research it first.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Spot reduction is BS! What does your abb workout look like? too many people trains abbs everyday thinking that will make them grow. They are just another muscle, you dont train your arms every day so why do it with the abbs. Do you also do squats, deads etc?

SpikeDC

SpikeDC

Awards
Forgot to say I do light cardio (stationary bike) 3 times a week for 40mins.
As for my abs, I do them 2-3 times a week tops. Maybe Im not doing enough when i do them. Or maybe should do more weighted ab work? I usually do a few sets of ab crunches 20 a piece, 40 legs lifts, once a week I do cable pull down, usually 2 sets of 30 at a high weight...should i be doing more?

Anyone know anything about CLA, Hydroxy cut, that I just started? What about Pyruvate, does that help?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Dragon flags really help, my abs are coming in since I've used them. The Napalm is helping me as is the RPM/DCP/ Neovar combo I'm on.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Dude, ****. At 5'10 150 pounds your abs aren't showing because you don't have any. You are already lean enough, you simply don't have the mass in that area. Do weighted ab exercises. I mean WEIGHTED. Not just a ****in 8lb ball. Do heavy weighted cable crunches or decline situps with a 45# plate held behind your head.

Deadlift and squat would also help......alot.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
i concur w/rugger.
at 150lbs you need more muscle mass to develop greater definition.
i don't see cutting at your current state helping.
maybe focus on a long, slow, lean bulk that incorporates heavy deads, squats and even some olympic lifts.
those big lifts along with a clean diet will build some fine abs by themselves.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Dude, ****. At 5'10 150 pounds your abs aren't showing because you don't have any. You are already lean enough, you simply don't have the mass in that area. Do weighted ab exercises. I mean WEIGHTED. Not just a ****in 8lb ball. Do heavy weighted cable crunches or decline situps with a 45# plate held behind your head.

Deadlift and squat would also help......alot.
Werd..

I don't get why people train heavy and hard on every body part, but abs is always some high rep, unweighted, routine.

Things like decline sit ups with a plate/DB on ur chest, Heavy cable crunches, and heavy counpound lifts like mentioned by HANK.

SpikeDC

SpikeDC

Awards
Great Thanks for all the advice guys. Will do!!!!!

Stay Puft

Stay Puft

Avant Research Guru
Awards
  • Established
You could try some napalm or similar topical fat loss product for spot reduction. You could similarly go the napalm+clen route although, I'd recommend that you thoroughly research it first.

Being so lean you represent the ideal body-type for Napalm or topical fat loss solutions. It will help you spare muscle by enhancing the fat loss locally (see: spot of application).

SpikeDC

SpikeDC

Awards
Also, any thoughts on supplements for me building muscle???

SpikeDC

SpikeDC

Awards
Any whats the best way to get rid of that last layer of sub-cutaneous fat around the abs/waist?

hman85

hman85

Awards
  • Established
get some naplam and if you want to keep your waist smaller don't go too heavy on the weighted ab work imo

SpikeDC

SpikeDC

Awards
So what is napalm? and why not the weighted ab work?

hman85

hman85

Awards
  • Established
you can use weighted if you want. I just said if you want to keep your waist smaller then don't use heavy weights.you can go heavy but not heavy enough to aleast get some higher reps(btween 12-20) Napalm is on nutraplanet.

SpikeDC

SpikeDC

Awards
Gotcha. I just can t get my abs to show. Will check out Napalm...any thoughts on CLA and a thermogenic like Hydroxycut? does napalm work? I dont buy that something like that wold work?

hman85

hman85

Awards
  • Established
Gotcha. I just can t get my abs to show. Will check out Napalm...any thoughts on CLA and a thermogenic like Hydroxycut? does napalm work? I dont buy that something like that wold work?
Yeah its good stuff. Cla is a great supplement for losing fat as well it actually makes you not make anymore fat cells and makes the ones you have smaller. Also try alri' s products like venom hyperdrive 3.0 and thyrogen-x that stuff will peel the fat off you.

RonnyT

RonnyT

Awards
no

Spot reduction is BS! What does your abb workout look like? too many people trains abbs everyday thinking that will make them grow. They are just another muscle, you dont train your arms every day so why do it with the abbs. Do you also do squats, deads etc?
Spot reduction is no BS there are several ways to perform spotreduction. Helios (HCL) is one of the best. Though many people are afraid to pinch subcutainously. Lot of the best bb-ers use it to get ready for a show. Did you you know by any chance that lots of the pro's use Preparation H (against haemorroids)to shrink the skin around the belly button before a show?

This is what Dan D said about it:

In a issue of Muscle Media 2000, in the October 1996 issue, "Steroid Guru" Dan Duchaine presents an article titled "Lower Body Fat." In this piece Dan recalls the plight of a female bodybuilding friend who found it impossible to lose fat in her below-the-waste region. No matter what she did - from exercise to drugs to steroids to near starvation - none of her strategies yielded success.
Then, in a section subtitled "You Know About Beta Agonists, But ... How About Alpha2 Blocker?," Duchaine lays it on the line. Ephedrine stimulates adrenoreceptors, but only those of the beta class. Among the three members of this class beta1 signals for fat mobilization while beta2 and beta3 concern themselves with the generation of thermogenic activity in the mitochondria. "Burn more fatty acids for heat," they command. While you might think that these latter two receptors would result in increased lower-body fat loss, it just doesn't work that way.
The reason is because there are few beta1 receptors - the generators for fat mobilization - in the lower body regions. However, what there are - and too many at that - in the lower-body fat are alpha2 receptors. Specifically, there are 9 times more alpha2 than beta1 receptors. When alpha2 receptors are stimulated they block fat mobilization, achieving a near opposite effect of beta1 receptors resulting in an increased stubbornness to lose lower-body fat. Worse yet, noradrenaline generation is reduced and body temperature is lowered. Then, to top it all off, on low calorie diets, alpha2 receptors increase.
Duchaine goes on to say that this process affects far more women than men, who normally have fewer alpha2 receptors ... except for Duchaine! The glad news, however, is that there is a alpha2 blocker available as an over-the-counter herbal supplement, and that the blocker is yohimbine, the chief active ingredient in yohimbe. Unlike ephedrine, yohimbe is not an agonist but an antagonist - it doesn't stimulate receptors, it blocks them. And when yohimbe blocks alpha2 receptors, noradrenaline flows and the resulting effect is increased body temperature and increased fat burning, even in the difficult area of the lower body.
Reference: Duchaine D. Lower body fat. Muscle Media 2000. 1996;54:94-99.

Attachments

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Spot reduction is BS!
Oh, word? Someone should tell these guys to stop making fake peer reviewed articles then. ;)

Glycyrrhetinic acid, the active principle of licorice, can reduce the thickness of subcutaneous thigh fat through topical application.
Armanini D, Nacamulli D, Francini-Pesenti F, Battagin G, Ragazzi E, Fiore C.
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences-Endocrinology, University of Padua, Via Ospedale 105, 35100 Padua, Italy. [email protected]

Cortisol is involved in the distribution and deposition of fat, and its action is regulated by the activity of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase. Glycyrrhetinic acid, the active principle of licorice root, blocks 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1, thus reducing the availability of cortisol at the level of adipocytes. We evaluated the effect of topical application of a cream containing glycyrrhetinic acid in the thickness of fat at the level of the thigh. Eighteen healthy women (age range 20-33 years) with normal BMI were randomly allocated to treatment, at the level of the dominant thigh, with a cream containing 2.5% glycyrrhetinic acid (n=9) or with a placebo cream containing the excipients alone (n=9). Before and after 1 month of treatment both the circumference and the thickness of the superficial fat layer of the thighs (by ultrasound analysis) were measured. The circumference and the thickness of the superficial fat layer were significantly reduced in comparison to the controlateral untreated thigh and to control subjects treated with the placebo cream. No changes were observed in blood pressure, plasma renin activity, plasma aldosterone or cortisol. The effect of glycyrrhetinic acid on the thickness of subcutaneous fat was likely related to a block of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 at the level of fat cells; therefore, glycyrrhetinic acid could be effectively used in the reduction of unwanted local fat accumulation.
PMID: 15894038 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Spot reduction is no BS there are several ways to perform spotreduction. Helios (HCL) is one of the best. Though many people are afraid to pinch subcutainously. Lot of the best bb-ers use it to get ready for a show. Did you you know by any chance that lots of the pro's use Preparation H (against haemorroids)to shrink the skin around the belly button before a show?

This is what Dan D said about it:

In a issue of Muscle Media 2000, in the October 1996 issue, "Steroid Guru" Dan Duchaine presents an article titled "Lower Body Fat." In this piece Dan recalls the plight of a female bodybuilding friend who found it impossible to lose fat in her below-the-waste region. No matter what she did - from exercise to drugs to steroids to near starvation - none of her strategies yielded success.
Then, in a section subtitled "You Know About Beta Agonists, But ... How About Alpha2 Blocker?," Duchaine lays it on the line. Ephedrine stimulates adrenoreceptors, but only those of the beta class. Among the three members of this class beta1 signals for fat mobilization while beta2 and beta3 concern themselves with the generation of thermogenic activity in the mitochondria. "Burn more fatty acids for heat," they command. While you might think that these latter two receptors would result in increased lower-body fat loss, it just doesn't work that way.
The reason is because there are few beta1 receptors - the generators for fat mobilization - in the lower body regions. However, what there are - and too many at that - in the lower-body fat are alpha2 receptors. Specifically, there are 9 times more alpha2 than beta1 receptors. When alpha2 receptors are stimulated they block fat mobilization, achieving a near opposite effect of beta1 receptors resulting in an increased stubbornness to lose lower-body fat. Worse yet, noradrenaline generation is reduced and body temperature is lowered. Then, to top it all off, on low calorie diets, alpha2 receptors increase.
Duchaine goes on to say that this process affects far more women than men, who normally have fewer alpha2 receptors ... except for Duchaine! The glad news, however, is that there is a alpha2 blocker available as an over-the-counter herbal supplement, and that the blocker is yohimbine, the chief active ingredient in yohimbe. Unlike ephedrine, yohimbe is not an agonist but an antagonist - it doesn't stimulate receptors, it blocks them. And when yohimbe blocks alpha2 receptors, noradrenaline flows and the resulting effect is increased body temperature and increased fat burning, even in the difficult area of the lower body.
Reference: Duchaine D. Lower body fat. Muscle Media 2000. 1996;54:94-99.
Napalm contains the a2 antagonist Yohimbine HCl also, minus the pain of injecting it.

RonnyT

RonnyT

Awards
no

Napalm contains the a2 antagonist Yohimbine HCl also, minus the pain of injecting it.
On the contrary, if you take it as an oral it is exposed to the digestion tract with aggressive stomach acids and the first pass through the liver, most of all active ingredients will be degraded. Then it has to travel through the bloodstream and why would it end at the fatdepots you desire to loose? Fatdepots have very little bloodflow that is why they always feel cold when you put your hand on it. That’s why it is best to inject or use a transdermal with the right penetrationenhancers on the stubborn fatdepots, so you can be sure the fatburning substances solved in it will do their job right their where you desire to loose your fat.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
yes

On the contrary, if you take it as an oral it is exposed to the digestion tract with aggressive stomach acids and the first pass through the liver, most of all active ingredients will be degraded. Then it has to travel through the bloodstream and why would it end at the fatdepots you desire to loose? Fatdepots have very little bloodflow that is why they always feel cold when you put your hand on it. That’s why it is best to inject or use a transdermal with the right penetrationenhancers on the stubborn fatdepots, so you can be sure the fatburning substances solved in it will do their job right their where you desire to loose your fat.
Exactly. You just described Napalm.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
So what is napalm? and why not the weighted ab work?
I will agree with all those who have said you don't have enough MUSCLE in your abdominal region. You need to use WEIGHTED exercises. Here's an example of what I might do for abs:

1. Hanging Leg Raises (hang from pull-up bar and lift your legs (with no bend in the knees) at least parallel to the ground): 3 sets of 12

2. Rope crunches (on your knees): 100lbs x 15, 140 x 15, 160 x 12, 180 x 12, 200 x 12 (stack)

3. Inclined sit-ups: body weight x 15-20, 30x 15, 45 x 12 (and up to 100lbs for 6-8 if I'm in the heavy workouts)

4. Oblique crunches (laying on a mat, legs to one side, knees pinched together and slightly elevated off the mat): 2-3 sets of 20

I will also agree w/others that you are already pretty lean. Just go heavy on your abs, get a full stretch and if you're not doing squats, do them as they are a core builder. Good luck!

SpikeDC

SpikeDC

Awards
Awesome. Thanks for tips. Will definitely start hitting those. I wonder if i should do cardio or not, try to gain some weight or try to stay lean by doing cardio?

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
Awesome. Thanks for tips. Will definitely start hitting those. I wonder if i should do cardio or not, try to gain some weight or try to stay lean by doing cardio?
Another good ab exercise is the Turkish Get Up. If you have never tried them take a look at this video:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
They can be done with plates, kettleballs, or DB's. But they really hit your core.
Like everyone else has suggested keep the reps in the 12-20 range. As the muscles get larger so is your waist, nothing you can really do about that.
As mentioned if you are not currently doing squats, start. In fact you might want to try front squats. They work the abs a lot because the weight is naturally trying to pull the body forward.
Not doing cardio isnt going to help with building the muscle mass of your abs unless you are not getting enough calories daily. I would continue the cardio and maybe up the calories 250-500 per day and see how that goes. After a week make +/- changes as needed. You have to have an excess to build muscle but you dont want to go over board either. Looks like you have put in a lot of effort into getting that lean already.

RonnyT

RonnyT

Awards
napalm

Exactly. You just described Napalm.
Napalm?? Never heard of that stuff, it was used in Nam an awefull lot. In fact I was talking about Helios inject and lotion.
Made by QFS - GS and HCL.

SpikeDC

SpikeDC

Awards
Im sorry but this Turkish get up is a joke. Just look at it. Anyone who thinks they will get anything from it are kidding themselves.

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
Im sorry but this Turkish get up is a joke. Just look at it. Anyone who thinks they will get anything from it are kidding themselves.
Think so huh? It is clear you havent tried them yet. Dont judge it until you try it. If you try it and it is easy you aren't using enough weight.

SpikeDC

SpikeDC

Awards
I tried it and there are much better ways of doing other things....sorry

MizXXL

Awards
Spike..In the past 6 months I gained 38 lbs. I decided it was time to put on some weight, I started at 130 lbs. After being stable for the past few months it seems that my current weight has shifted quite a bit. I really dont do much mid section (abs) workouts and I am definetly starting to get quite the gut. Although I am very happy with all the muscle gain that I have achieved I was wondering if you or anyone else would be able to give me some ideas on how to shed this newly unwanted fat. Because I was so small from the get go all I have been known to do is eat all that I can and lift big..but I obviously dont want the unwanted gains in the midsection.
Thanks