Weight loss advice

emiller41

emiller41

Awards
I currently weigh like 195 pounds. Looking to lose about 30 pounds. I used to be crazy skinny. But when I moved away for school I went down a unhealthy spiral of depression and eating a lot of unhealthy food. Recently I have been trying to eat healthier. I've been juicing fresh fruit and veggie combos everyday recently. Looking for tips or advice on the diet part of losing weight. I read I should try to stay with in 1500 calories a day?

Attachments

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What's your height and exercise level? Have you determined your TDEE? Based on that calculation deduct 500 calories for weight loss and make sure you are taking in enough protein. Lift weights to try and help preserve as much LBM as possible. If you don't mind your diet and workout and simply go low calorie you will simply create a smaller version of yourself.

emiller41

emiller41

Awards
I'm 6ft tall. Moderate exercise level. What is TDEE? Never heard of that!!!

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Total Daily Energy Expenditure. At your height 1500 calories may be a little low. I am 6 ft 225 lbs and eat around 2000 calories a day. My TDEE is around 2900 calories a day. I lift heavy and eat at least 200g of protein a day. Look up a TDEE calculator on Google and find out your TDEE. Minus 500 and start there. If weight loss stalls drop another 100 calories. Once you get down to a calorie count that leaves you hungry I find it's good to eat maintenance calories for a week or two to reset. Then go back to a deficit.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Mind your protein. You will have to play with carb amount to see where your body is good at. For me personally I have found around 140-150g of carbs works best for me for weight loss and 60-70g of fat. I am able to go less on the carbs and higher on the fat and still see results but not the other way around. 200g of protein is my primary dietary goal for the day though. At least 3 lift days a week as well.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What does your exercise regimen look like? Protein should be very high, but you need to keep activity levels high as well. Just dropping calories will help you lose weight, but you'll also lose muscle. Carb cycling has been a great way for me to get/stay lean while still growing. HIIT is also a recommendation I will throw at you, as will most other people on this forum.

emiller41

emiller41

Awards
Well the thing is it's not constant. Kind of all over the place

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well the thing is it's not constant. Kind of all over the place
Well then fix that. The one thing EVERYONE on here who knows how to get results will tell you, consistency is key.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
1500cals + any type of resistance training and/or cardio = disappointing results...

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Another thing I would do is cut the juicing out. Usually juices have way to much calorie and void of all the nutrition the fruit usually carries. Think of it this way you would never eat 8 oranges in one session so why would you drink 8 of them? The sugar would be crazy.

As for working out well no easy way to say it but you have to put the work in whether you like it or not. Not easy and isn't supposed to be. Dedicate about 45 minutes a minimum of 3x a week and hit he weights hard. You fix your diet and you get your workouts fixed and results will follow faster than you think.

emiller41

emiller41

Awards
It's not like I'm drinking cool aid. I have a ninja blender and throw all sorts of fresh vegetables and fresh fruits into it making a smoothie or fresh juice. It's very healthy. I would probably be eating the raw vegetables anyways so why not just juice them?

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In proper quantities they are good. Veggies are no problem and you probably can't get enough. Too much fruit while trying to mind your calories can be taxing. The fruits carry more calories than veggies and contain sugar. When dieting at the end of the day it boils down to total calories and as long as you get your minimum protein you can fill the rest up with what you see fit. Based on my experience I choose to limit fruit and go with veggies and meat instead with good healthy fats.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's not like I'm drinking cool aid. I have a ninja blender and throw all sorts of fresh vegetables and fresh fruits into it making a smoothie or fresh juice. It's very healthy. I would probably be eating the raw vegetables anyways so why not just juice them?
As a male you should be shooting for more protein than anything else. Veggies are good for getting vites and nutrients, but you need protein to get the results yoy want.

papersteroid

Awards
To keep away from enticement, abstain from stocking garbage nourishment, for example, chocolate, scones, crisps and sweet fizzy beverages, at home. Rather, stock up on solid snacks, for example, natural product, unsalted rice cakes, oat cakes, unsalted or unsweetened popcorn, and organic product juice.

DB1219

Awards
Allow me to be brutal: you ate junk (sugar, refined carbs) throughout your youth and remained thin. You continued into adulthood and now you are becoming fat. Your metabolism (how your body regulates the energy coming into it) has changed my friend. If you don't understand why, how and what do to reverse this you need to study and learn for yourself. Looking at your picture, I believe you are on the path of Type 2 diabetes, obesity and host of problems down the road called metabolic syndrome. A juicing machine is not the answer here. Starving yourself is not the answer either.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I'm with most of the other people on here, I'd get rid of your juicer. If you're trying to lose weight the last thing you want to be doing is drinking all of your calories. You'll feel much more full if you actually chew and eat your calories. To most people, tons of fruits and vegetables are 'healthy' and help you lose weight, when in reality too much of them will not help you reach your goals. As stated by others above, focus more on quality lean proteins instead of fruits. Eat more chicken breasts, lean ground meats, egg whites, etc. Juicing fruits into liquid isn't much better than drinking Kool Aid and taking a multi vitamin.

Focus on eating lots of green veggies and lean sources of protein.
Cut out the juices, cut back on the fruits and simple sugars.
CHEW your food.
Lift some weights.
Do some cardio.
You'll start seeing results if you stay consistent.

SMP142

Awards
Look into Ketogenics. I tried everything and this has proven to be the only thing that works for me. The key is checking your blood ketones daily until you understand what affects your body.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1500cals + any type of resistance training and/or cardio = disappointing results...
This. Get on a solid lifting plan, track your calories for a week or two and see where you are at. Start higher than 1500 calories for sure. There is no magic formula, you have to track and adjust as needed.

If you've never lifted consistently, I would start with a good 5 X 5 program.

DB1219

Awards
What is a good exercise plan to follow?
Go to a site called Mark's Daily Apple. Click the red words that say START HERE. Spend 5 minutes reading the entire page. I would suggest doing his 21 day challenge.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Araya2... Go away and stop spamming the boards

jxv

Awards
Edit : Just realized it is an old thread :p

If it interests you , i've lost tons amount of fat using this simple template :

For 3 days straight eat the following :

Meal 1 : 50g oats(w/250ml water) , 10 egg whites (2-3 times a week add in a yolk or two) ( Cals : 180 + 170(+about 80 per yolk))
Meal 2 : 150g chicken , 100g red cabbage or beets or broccoli, 6ml olive oil (Cals : 270 + 34 + 54)
Meal 3 : 150g chicken , 100g red cabbage or beets or broccoli, 6ml olive oil (Cals : 270 + 34 + 54)
Meal 4(before your work out) : 50g oats + 2 servings of isolate whey (25g prot/serving) (Cals: 180 + 200 kcal)
Meal 5(after your work out) : 2 servings of isolate whey (25g prot/serving) (CAls : 200)
Meal 6 : 200g fish , 100g red cabbage or beets(****) or broccoli,6ml olive oil(Cals : 200 + 34 + 54)
(You can replace last meal with low fat cottage cheese + a serving of fruit instead beets)

**** : Recommended to eat BEETS AT NIGHT due to high fructose content...watch out for your blood sugar!

Calories : 1800-1960(w 2 yolks)

Day #4 :
Add to the plan 700calories from carbs ... Example : 180g pasta/rice or 200g oats or 700g sweet potato etc

Every 10 days :
Add to the plan 1k cals and eat something out of the schedule :)

Repeat all above ^

Rules :
-Do 45-60min cardio every day (if possible)
-Check your weight every 3 days (the 4th day after you're done with low carbing)
-Keep a stable 24h feeding window
-Eat every 2.5-3hours
-Drink at least 3liters water
-Use multivitamin, omega 3 ,whey protein
-Don't drink sugary beverages ...Just water ..Also avoid "calorie free" junk since they contain CARBS(ex:1g stevia = 4g carbs = 0cal)
-DONT throw in additional fats either use microwave or greaseproof paper

David147

Awards
First of all, "weight" is stored sugar. Don't be confused by foods that market themselves as "Low Fat." Those have the most sugar. There are four types of dietary fats: 1. Polyunsaturated, 2. Monounsaturated, 3. Trans, 4. Saturated. The fist two are good for you in moderation, numbers 3 and 4 are bad for you. The first two can be eaten from peanut butter, nuts of all kind, avocados, walnuts, flax seeds, fish like salmon and tuna.

Now we get to sugar. You aim to eat about 100 grams of sugar each day.
1. NO MORE sodas, juices, exercise drinks, or smoothies. All are loaded in sugar.

2. Only eat green vegetables: Asparagus, broccoli, green beans, kale, spinach, cabbage. Corn and potatoes are high in sugar.

3. As far as fruits, eat more strawberries, blue berries, black berries, and apples. Melons, grapes, pine apples, peaches, bananas, and mangos are too high in sugar.

4. Basically, anything that has flour in it, or anything that is sold in a bakery, is going to be high in sugar. I know this suggestion is not fun, but cakes, cookies, and other pastries are very high in sugar.

5. Pizza is a food that should be avoided. So are pastas like spaghetti or lasagna. Add some of the suggestions from above to your diet and eat more often. You should be eating about 5-6 times a day. Soups are good, too. A sandwich is okay on occasion. Also eat grilled chicken.

The most difficult part of the weight loss journey is that you must "win each meal." Every time you sit in front of food, don't cheat. Furthermore, it means not going to a restaurant that temps you too much, so don't eat in a restaurant where you can't control yourself.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
squash.png

Like Pasta ? Try Spaghetti Squash !!

jaces

jaces

Awards
remember that carbohydrates are polymers of sugar so all carbs(not including fiber) are sugar but the bonds between different sugar polymers wil determine its gi and so on a simpel sugar is called a monosachiride a sugar consisting of 2 monosachirides are disachirides and suagrs consisting of more than 3 sugars are polysacharides(like glycogen)