Weight loss help/advice

Bmize89

Bmize89

Awards
Hello all so a little about myself. I am 26 years old 5'11 and around 220lbs, i am out of shape horribly and i am noticing it effect pretty much every aspect of my life. That ranges from my overall confidence, daily energy, and definitely my sex drive. I have always been an athlete and stayed in good shape but over the past 3-4 years ive gotten married and had 2 kids so alot of the focus on me has been else where. I am trying to figure out a good workout regimen, diet, and supplementation fir the family minded dad. I would like to get down to around 190lbs so roughly 30lbs to lose. Any and all advice you guys/gals can give will be greatly appreciated. Ill post a couple pics, 1 of my 3 years ago in the shape im used to being in(im on the left) and 2 more i took 5 mins ago. Thanks!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The majority of people on here are married and/or have families and understand busy lives. First step is to clean up your diet and try to cut out as much crappy food as you can. Changing your nutrition to make sure the calories you are consuming are full of nutrients as well as drinking plenty of water, will make a huge difference in how you feel! There's no crazy secret to a diet and supplementation. Just start with getting fresh whole foods for the majority of your food. As far as training, I find early mornings works best for me. I work fulltime, am married, have 2 kids, as well as having a 2nd job in the evenings making cakes. So I understood tight schedules! To start, you may like full body workouts or a push/pull so you can get a lot accomplished in little time.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The majority of people on here are married and/or have families and understand busy lives. First step is to clean up your diet and try to cut out as much crappy food as you can. Changing your nutrition to make sure the calories you are consuming are full of nutrients as well as drinking plenty of water, will make a huge difference in how you feel! There's no crazy secret to a diet and supplementation. Just start with getting fresh whole foods for the majority of your food. As far as training, I find early mornings works best for me. I work fulltime, am married, have 2 kids, as well as having a 2nd job in the evenings making cakes. So I understood tight schedules! To start, you may like full body workouts or a push/pull so you can get a lot accomplished in little time.
This is great advice. It really starts with making time for your training. Having a spouse that gets it doesn't hurt either. Start by cleaning the diet and try and start with smaller workouts if that all you can find time for right now. The build from there as your able to free up time.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Dang love2liftkat.... much respect! That's a crazy schedule! You must laugh when people give the "too busy" excuse lol.

Excellent advice as well - diet is the biggest factor in your results OP. Luckily you're aware that you need to lose a few pounds and get back in shape. Some don't realize that until they're 50-100 pounds overweight, and the process is much more alarming. I would focus on cleaning up your diet, get rid of the junk in your cabinets and focus on eating nutrient rich foods, and lots of vegetables. If you have a busy schedule, start small with a routine. Pick three days a week where you'll wake up an hour or two early and get your workout out of the way. With a cleaner diet and some small changes in your routine you'll start seeing results quickly. Best of luck bro

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Since time is a factor you might look into EDT training (just google it) this guarantees you will get your workout done fast. I've ran it before when I had a lot going on and it gives a great workout

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Write everything out and have a plan as it relates to your workout. There are also soo many great apps to help chart food intake.

I am a huge proponent of fasted cardio, even if it is taking the dog out (if you have one) for a long brisk walk, it is a start. Keep the questions coming...

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hello all so a little about myself. I am 26 years old 5'11 and around 220lbs, i am out of shape horribly and i am noticing it effect pretty much every aspect of my life. That ranges from my overall confidence, daily energy, and definitely my sex drive. I have always been an athlete and stayed in good shape but over the past 3-4 years ive gotten married and had 2 kids so alot of the focus on me has been else where. I am trying to figure out a good workout regimen, diet, and supplementation fir the family minded dad. I would like to get down to around 190lbs so roughly 30lbs to lose. Any and all advice you guys/gals can give will be greatly appreciated. Ill post a couple pics, 1 of my 3 years ago in the shape im used to being in(im on the left) and 2 more i took 5 mins ago. Thanks!
Im 38, married and have a 15 year old son. Work 24 hours shifts at the fire department, and 12 hour EMS shifts in 2 different counties. Just have to make time. Ive only been on here a couple of months, but the support is phenomenal, second to none. The main thing is getting and staying motivated, and there is plenty of it on AM! Muscle memory is great, Its amazing what I have re-accomplished since getting back into it less than 6 months ago. 21 days is the average time it takes the human mind to make OR break a habit! Now, get your diet in check and GO DO YOUR THING!!!

Alpha1a

Alpha1a

Awards
  • Established
Lots of good advice above! Ill add my 2 cents, when I started training I wanted to get huge I'm talking I didn't know anything at all , yet I wanted to look like the guys on the animal pak team lol so I just ate everything in site and after a year and a half I got to 220 and I loved the scale but then everyone started giving me a reality check pretty much just flat out saying "you're fat as sh1t" that was October last year and in 3 months cut down to 190 so it's possible bro main thing I did was I sat down and made a new meal plan it was the plainest simplest meal plan ever oatmeal and eggs in the morning and then 4 meals of chicken and rice started out 1 cup oatmeal 6 eggs in the am and 8 oz chicken 1 cup rice and veggies for the 4 meals and once my body adjusted I started seeing the scale drop and every time it stalled for more then 3-4 days I would just cut out 25g of carbs daily started from my last meal cut to half a cup of rice then cut out the rice from last meal and worked my way up by the time I got to 195 my daily meal plan was 1/2 cup oats in the am with 6 eggs and then the remainder of the day 8oz chicken with 1/2-1 cup of veggies (simple veggies like spinach of broccoli) no seasoning or anything fancy not even salt it might not be necessary but it was more to discipline myself and be as strict as humanly possible no cheat meals nothing once I got to 125g carbs daily that's the only time I would have one higher carb day every 5 days to refeed also only supps I used through the whole cut were some yohimbe and 1,3 dmaa pills with some caffeine preworkout and every two weeks would switch the 1,3 for bronkaid. I'm sure some people will disagree with this but it got me from 220-190 I lost considerable strength but now I'm already stronger at 200 then I was at 220 and look and feel 100% better and you have found a good place for support and to ask questions!

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lots of good advice above! Ill add my 2 cents, when I started training I wanted to get huge I'm talking I didn't know anything at all , yet I wanted to look like the guys on the animal pak team lol so I just ate everything in site and after a year and a half I got to 220 and I loved the scale but then everyone started giving me a reality check pretty much just flat out saying "you're fat as sh1t" that was October last year and in 3 months cut down to 190 so it's possible bro main thing I did was I sat down and made a new meal plan it was the plainest simplest meal plan ever oatmeal and eggs in the morning and then 4 meals of chicken and rice started out 1 cup oatmeal 6 eggs in the am and 8 oz chicken 1 cup rice and veggies for the 4 meals and once my body adjusted I started seeing the scale drop and every time it stalled for more then 3-4 days I would just cut out 25g of carbs daily started from my last meal cut to half a cup of rice then cut out the rice from last meal and worked my way up by the time I got to 195 my daily meal plan was 1/2 cup oats in the am with 6 eggs and then the remainder of the day 8oz chicken with 1/2-1 cup of veggies (simple veggies like spinach of broccoli) no seasoning or anything fancy not even salt it might not be necessary but it was more to discipline myself and be as strict as humanly possible no cheat meals nothing once I got to 125g carbs daily that's the only time I would have one higher carb day every 5 days to refeed also only supps I used through the whole cut were some yohimbe and 1,3 dmaa pills with some caffeine preworkout and every two weeks would switch the 1,3 for bronkaid. I'm sure some people will disagree with this but it got me from 220-190 I lost considerable strength but now I'm already stronger at 200 then I was at 220 and look and feel 100% better and you have found a good place for support and to ask questions!
Spot on !! Bmize89... Remember the 3 "tions"
motivaTION
determinaTION and
nutriTION

Captn_the

Captn_the

Banned
Awards
99% of supplements are a waste of money.

Get a coach, help with your training and diet. When you got that dialed in that's when the magic happens.

Pacy

Awards
I had very similar stats about 7 months ago. I was 5' 10" 225lb and now have been around 190 for the last 2 months. As everyone mentioned above diet is key. I have never been one to write down all of my calories, protein, carbs, etc. if you just try your best to eat "clean" you'll see the weight start to fall off. All I did was make sure that I was eating a protein, a slightly reduced amount of carb, and a green with each meal. Another thing that really helped me was creating a simple 15 minute ab routine(one that I didn't mind doing, something not to difficult so that you don't dread it everyday) as well as 10 minutes on a bike or incline treadmill at the end of my workout. Hope this helps!

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Assuming you have work in the morning and work out in the evening:
Skip breakfast and take some coconut or MCT oil. Either in coffee, tea or straight up pure, doesn't matter. I like it in coffee. When I do a longer fast (till 16:00-17:00, fasting over 18h) then I also take 4-8g Omega-3.
Fasting also has other great benefits.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Assuming you have work in the morning and work out in the evening:
Skip breakfast and take some coconut or MCT oil. Either in coffee, tea or straight up pure, doesn't matter. I like it in coffee. When I do a longer fast (till 16:00-17:00, fasting over 18h) then I also take 4-8g Omega-3.
Fasting also has other great benefits.
Ever do the super coffee (forget real name), stick of butter, coconut oil and coffee all blended?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ever do the super coffee (forget real name), stick of butter, coconut oil and coffee all blended?
Bulletproof coffee? I vaguely remember Admin saying he's done it. It may have been an old thread though

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Bulletproof coffee? I vaguely remember Admin saying he's done it. It may have been an old thread though
Yes that's it...one day I plan on doing it...just the fact of putting a whole stick of butter in my coffee....

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes that's it...one day I plan on doing it...just the fact of putting a whole stick of butter in my coffee....
I don't think you use that much butter lol. I think it's like a tbsp. Could be wrong but an entire stick of butter is almost 1k calories...

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think you use that much butter lol. I think it's like a tbsp. Could be wrong but an entire stick of butter is almost 1k calories...
I do that on low carb days. Gotta get that fat to replace carbs from somewhere.

Captn_the

Captn_the

Banned
Awards
I go by weight. A stick is like 50g - bit too much I think.

25g grass fed butter
2 tbsp mct oil
1/5 tsp cinnamon

Blended with coffee around an hr before cardio in the morning.

Then fast till 3pm.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I go by weight. A stick is like 50g - bit too much I think.

25g grass fed butter
2 tbsp mct oil
1/5 tsp cinnamon

Blended with coffee around an hr before cardio in the morning.

Then fast till 3pm.
You're right but I did see a video where someone dropped in a stick of butter.

At least 1-2tbs unsalted grass-fed butter.
1-2tbs of Brain Octane™ or XCT oil™ (these are 18x and 6x stronger than coconut oil, with no flavor. They are NOT generic MCT oil, which is about 1.6x stronger than coconut oil)
1-2 cups (~250-500ml) of hot coffee brewed with low-toxin beans (like Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee) using a metal filter (like french press or gold filter drip).

Captn_the

Captn_the

Banned
Awards
You're right but I did see a video where someone dropped in a stick of butter.

At least 1-2tbs unsalted grass-fed butter.
1-2tbs of Brain Octane or XCT oil (these are 18x and 6x stronger than coconut oil, with no flavor. They are NOT generic MCT oil, which is about 1.6x stronger than coconut oil)
1-2 cups (~250-500ml) of hot coffee brewed with low-toxin beans (like Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee) using a metal filter (like french press or gold filter drip).
Sure thing, I've drop in up to 100g of butter, personally I think it's a bit too much.

You can add other ingredients like egg yolks to boost the protein. Or raw cocoa tastes good.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sure thing, I've drop in up to 100g of butter, personally I think it's a bit too much.

You can add other ingredients like egg yolks to boost the protein. Or raw cocoa tastes good.
Only thing I have done is scoop of coconut oil in my coffee, odorless and tasteless, saw my buddy Dave Dearth doing it and figured why not but again the butter thing...:tongue-tied:

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bmize89....Dont know how disciplined you are, but you could do some research on
"The Warrior Diet". Its hard, I did it for a while but it played in well with my work schedule. Developed by an Israeli Special Forces Commander. It goes against everything weve ever been taught, but is proven. Its 20 hours of fasting, with a 4 hour window to eat. Still eating clean, but dropping in 2000 calories in that allotted time frame. It has been proven to not only quickly burn fat, but to build muscle. Of you're interested, PM me, Ill send you some more information. Im actually thinking about going back on it.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Bmize89....Dont know how disciplined you are, but you could do some research on
"The Warrior Diet". Its hard, I did it for a while but it played in well with my work schedule. Developed by an Israeli Special Forces Commander. It goes against everything weve ever been taught, but is proven. Its 20 hours of fasting, with a 4 hour window to eat. Still eating clean, but dropping in 2000 calories in that allotted time frame. It has been proven to not only quickly burn fat, but to build muscle. Of you're interested, PM me, Ill send you some more information. Im actually thinking about going back on it.
Wow that's intense....20 hrs, I am not diabetic by any means but feel my sugar or lethargy would be prevalent but will have to take a look at that..

Captn_the

Captn_the

Banned
Awards
Wow that's intense....20 hrs, I am not diabetic by any means but feel my sugar or lethargy would be prevalent but will have to take a look at that..
You don't jump in at 20 hrs, you work towards it. 2 hours every week or so. It's an effective strategy bro :thumb:

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You don't jump in at 20 hrs, you work towards it. 2 hours every week or so. It's an effective strategy bro :thumb:
It is intense. The creator said since theyve started doing it, its more of a lifestyle than a diet for them. But what got his attention in the first place was the fact that when they did it( unintentionally to begin with) his operatives were different. He now states that when they do the fasting, they make better decisions, and quicker, could train longer and actually were able to shoot more accurate. Its not a 100% complete fasted state. I would have a cup of 100% greek yougurt in the morning, no more than about 7 dry almonds if I really got hungry, and always a solid whey protein within an hour of workouts. It only took me a few days to not be hungry all day, but I dropped 7lbs The first week,and had plenty of energy

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
You do not need to resort to such drastic measures to lose weight. Honestly. You can use one of the many online calculators that will help you calculate your daily macronutrient and calorie needs and go from there. Losing fat is about being in a calorie deficit. However you create that deficit - with diet alone or with diet and exercise - is up to the individual. You should choose a plan that will allow you to sustain your weight loss.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You do not need to resort to such drastic measures to lose weight. Honestly. You can use one of the many online calculators that will help you calculate your daily macronutrient and calorie needs and go from there. Losing fat is about being in a calorie deficit. However you create that deficit - with diet alone or with diet and exercise - is up to the individual. You should choose a plan that will allow you to sustain your weight loss.
I agree with this completely, I was merely throwing in an option that has been proven. No matter what and how many options are posted, at the end of the day, you have to decide.

Captn_the

Captn_the

Banned
Awards
I find those calculators highly inaccurate and unreliable. By up to 30% in my case.

I really liked IF - good lifestyle not enslaved to multiple small meals. It no good for bulking, but maintenance or leaning out for sure.

Agreed not for everyone thou.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Depends on the calculator. But sure some are off. They're estimates. You just have to make tweaks till you find your sweet spot. IF is 1 way to create a deficit. If it works for your lifestyle, great.

Bmize89

Bmize89

Awards
Thanks for all the replies lol I don't know why my phone hasn't sent me any notifications but anyways I have been cleaning up my diet utilizing the brown rice,chicken, and greens meals which seems to be working...I haven't decreased in the carb intake yet but as for my work schedule it's incredibly Un orthodox....I work 6pm-6am so my schedule it upside down...so I don't know if it's better to run before I go to work or when I get off? It's easier for me to when I get off cause it's still somewhat cool outside (Texas heat)