Please help me lose weight, help with supplements

TravisG_06

Awards
In high school I was always pretty fit and never had to worry about what I ate, I was a 160 lbs kid my sophomore year benching 225lbs as a 1 rep max.

Fast forward 10 years to the age of 25... Jesus Chris that really was 10 years ago... sh*t.

Anyway, I'm now 210 lbs and only 5'8". I've been prescribed Phentermine but it's not really helping.

Can someone recommend some supplements I can take to help me cut weight to go along with a gym routine and watching what I eat?

Perhaps also suggest some key foods to eat.

I really feel like my lack of knowledge with supplements and stacks is my biggest barrier. I used to just down protein shakes when I was younger.

Also how many calories should I be eating to lose weight?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How long ago were you prescribed the phentermine?

What does your daily diet look like right now?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Look into the Lean Gains protocol. There is a massive thread on here about it that details the ins and outs of it. After a small adjustment period, you get used to the eating "window" and it becomes second nature. The most important thing to remember is that this is going to be a lifestyle change for you and not just something that is done for 8-12 weeks.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Diet is key, if your diet is not on supplements will be useless. How many cals are you taking in now and what is your macro breakdown? Are you doing any cardio? The more specific info you give the more help folks can give you. If you're not tracking your intake, start! myfitnesspal, fitday or something similar makes it pretty easy and will help you stay on track, if you don't know what your putting in...you can't control it.

TravisG_06

Awards
How long ago were you prescribed the phentermine?

What does your daily diet look like right now?
About 2 months ago.

Admittedly I don't follow a strict diet like a lot of you, which I want to change.

Typically my diet is:

Breakfast - 1 cup of oatmeal and a granny smith apple

Snack - 100 calories of either blackberries, strawberries, grapes or 1 banana, whichever I take with me

Lunch - Turkey sandwich on wheat bread or a tuna salad

Snack - another 100 calories of fruit

Dinner is my biggest challenge, it's just whatever my wife makes.

I know I really need to improve my diet. It needs to be more strict, I also need to get in the gym more.

I feel like if I get some expert advice from you all I can make a plan, go to grocery, eat better and reach my goals.

I have so many barriers though, my job is 100% sit down office desk job. Computer work for 8 hours, I'm suffering and I went from 175 lbs almost 5 years ago when I started at this job to weighing in at 215 now.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
have so many barriers though, my job is 100% sit down office desk job. Computer work for 8 hours, I'm suffering and I went from 175 lbs almost 5 years ago when I started at this job to weighing in at 215 now.
The first sentence in this paragraph in inherently self-defeating. You'll never do anything with that mindset.

We all have barriers, man. I'm married, I work my ass off, I have 6 kids, 2 dogs a cat and a 30 mile commute each way. No big deal because I've made the commitment to a healthy lifestyle. If you want change, you'll make change. If not, you'll make excuses.

I'd contend that your job makes nutrition and training very easy. You can prepare food on a day off or in the evening, really hammer training because your job is not physical, recover, rest and grow.

Take what you've got and make it work FOR you...all barriers have a downhill side too.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Google Harris-Benedict Equation and figure out what your cal intake, replace some of those carbs with protein, protein will fill you up more and will assist with transforming your body. Try to take in 25-50grams of protein with each meal. For dinner, and this is tough just say no, when I get home and my wife says it's burgers on the grill tonight I grab a chicken breast and throw it on with the burgers then nuke some veggies and watch everyone eat burgers. If she makes something crazy like a casserole I make a decision and either eat one small portion or make something different. Over time she is a little more conscience about what I need to eat and my family is eating better now!
Just gotta get that self-control going or progress will be limited, diet is 90% of the struggle.
The job-get up and stand at your desk once in awhile, do cardio before you go to work so you'll be sitting and burning calories all day.
Just some suggestions, it's not easy and takes long term dedication, keep researching!

TravisG_06

Awards
The first sentence in this paragraph in inherently self-defeating. You'll never do anything with that mindset.

We all have barriers, man. I'm married, I work my ass off, I have 6 kids, 2 dogs a cat and a 30 mile commute each way. No big deal because I've made the commitment to a healthy lifestyle. If you want change, you'll make change. If not, you'll make excuses.

I'd contend that your job makes nutrition and training very easy. You can prepare food on a day off or in the evening, really hammer training because your job is not physical, recover, rest and grow.

Take what you've got and make it work FOR you...all barriers have a downhill side too.
I can appreciate your point and I agree, you're definitely not wrong when you say that.

That's where I need help, I get discouraged because I feel like I don't have the right diet going. I just don't know what to eat and what not to eat.

TravisG_06

Awards
Look into the Lean Gains protocol. There is a massive thread on here about it that details the ins and outs of it. After a small adjustment period, you get used to the eating "window" and it becomes second nature. The most important thing to remember is that this is going to be a lifestyle change for you and not just something that is done for 8-12 weeks.

I'll do whatever it takes at this point. I've never been overweight previously and I've been overweight the last 3 years or so. It's disgusting.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Since I'm not sure about the extent of your knowledge, I throw up a couple links for you;

First, here's a list of low GI carb sources. When dieting, I know it's beneficial to me to keep my carb sources low GI to slow down absorption and keep my insulin from spiking. Disregard the South Beach diet portion, I'm only linking the list because it's handy.

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/lowglycemicfoodlist.htm

And a quick overview of glycemic index (GI)

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/gi_index.htm

As Rodja mentioned earlier, look around the site (and/or the web) for the Lean Gains protocol. I don't personally use it, but I know of many people who do, and with great success.

As the poster above indicated, use the Harris Benedict equation to get an idea of where your daily calories should be.

I try to keep my protein coming from sources such as chicken, steak, lean hamburger (97/3), and 1-2 protein shakes in any given day. I consume no dairy, so my fat all comes from meat or things like almonds, eggs, and various nut butters (peanut, almond, etc.).

Digest that for a little bit, and post up if you need something clarified. I'm far from an expert, but I'll help if I can.

TravisG_06

Awards
I'll be sure to read up on this and then let you know how my grocery experience goes. Thanks for your help.