Poll: What's your opinion on doing cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

POLL -- CARDIO ON EMPTY STOMACH IN MORNING

Page 7 of 8 First ... 25678 Last
  1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.59%

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleRocker View Post
    Not only is it easier to run on an empty stomach, doing cardio in the AM is great for those of us who will be reluctant to do it later in the day. I hate cardio, so I like to get it over with first thing. If you MUST have something to eat beforehand, I would suggest just a protein shake.
    I couldnt agree with you anymore on that!

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.49%

Short duration (<=20 min) HIIT cardio seems to work quite well without adversely affecting muscle tissue. A protein shake with some carbs and a little fat really seems to help with the body recomp as well.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.42%

after read all this articles, i am still a little confused(sorry, my first langue is not english)
    i plan to do a cardio on a empty stomach tomorrow around 70%HR 50-60 mins,
    i will sip some BCAA before and during cardio.is that ok?
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.38%

Yes BCAAs before and during are good. If you can get Leucine only, that is even better since won't be burned for food, Isoleucine and Valine can be burned for fuel and you won't get their benefit.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.49%

Quote Originally Posted by waimoku View Post
    Yes BCAAs before and during are good. If you can get Leucine only, that is even better since won't be burned for food, Isoleucine and Valine can be burned for fuel and you won't get their benefit.

Do you have a reference for Leucine not being used as fuel? I've never heard that and it sounds intresting.

TF
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.38%

Although it is not until later on in the thread check out this discussion on BCAAs being used as fuel:
    POWERFULL before fasted AM Cardio
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
    Do you have a reference for Leucine not being used as fuel? I've never heard that and it sounds intresting.

TF
    Turd Ferguson! So hilarious, I had to watch the video again!
    Freedom means nothing here.
  8. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.13%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I am going to start this kind of training soon. I am starting a cut in a week or so.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.14%

I walk to class in the mornings directly after breakfast, takes about 20-25 minutes. Ive lost a lot of fat in the past 4 weeks, but im also using eca
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.59%

Quote Originally Posted by Variocam View Post
    I walk to class in the mornings directly after breakfast, takes about 20-25 minutes. Ive lost a lot of fat in the past 4 weeks, but im also using eca

Good tip. i would need to look into that!!
  11. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.78%

I don't like to refer to it as empty stomach cardio so much as "pre-breakfast". I usually take BCAAs and then 1/2 a scoop to a scoop of protien powder, but no carbs. It has always worked for me and I'm low body fat.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65%

I don't know if its the best way but it works very well for me. I have been waking up about 5:30am and jog for about 3 miles at least 3 days a week for about 2 years now and it feels great. I usually don't feel hungry till about 9am on a day I don't jog, but when I do I'm hungry almost immediately after. The rest of the day I also eat better because of my higher rate of metabolism. When I try to eat before a run I feel like it slows me down also.
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.1%

Quote Originally Posted by Awful Knawful View Post
    I don't know if its the best way but it works very well for me. I have been waking up about 5:30am and jog for about 3 miles at least 3 days a week for about 2 years now and it feels great. I usually don't feel hungry till about 9am on a day I don't jog, but when I do I'm hungry almost immediately after. The rest of the day I also eat better because of my higher rate of metabolism. When I try to eat before a run I feel like it slows me down also.
    Bro, if it makes you feel great then don't listen to what anyone else tries to tell you. Life is about living healthy and feeling great. There's nothing wrong with what you're doing.
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65%

Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    Bro, if it makes you feel great then don't listen to what anyone else tries to tell you. Life is about living healthy and feeling great. There's nothing wrong with what you're doing.
    For sure, I agree
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.64%

10g BCAAs (4:1:1 ratio) before will help reduce muscle catabolism and add negligible calories and requires no digestion (unlike whey).
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.33%

Quote Originally Posted by IHateGymMorons View Post
    It's a great way to lose fat. Don't go too long, or don't be too intense, you may risk muscle mass. Take some glutamine/BCAA before if you can afford it.
    what does guletamine do for you and what are BCAA's and what do they do?
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.33%

Quote Originally Posted by taffer View Post
    yep, HIIT mainly uses glucose as an energy source (since your going at 85+% HR) if there is no glucose in your blood, your body will turn to body-proteins!

the advantage in HIIT is the "afterburn" the additional fat you lose by the increase in metabolism throughout the day!

i dont know if there is anyone that would recomend HIIT on an empty stomach, furthermore if you did try it, i wouldnt imagine you would get much of a workout without any energy!
    what exactly is HIIT and why do you not reccomend it in the morning on an empty stomach? would drinking a protien shake or takikng glutamine before an early workout help prevent this?
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.16%

High Intesity Interval Training...
    I do my cardio on an empty stomach and have been doing it for quiet sometime. I have my jug of H20 with me.... i do 30 min kickboxing>3 min box and kicks with 1 min jump rope...50 yard wind sprints walk 50 run 50 for 15 min and then Spin bike 15 min up hill for 15 min after that im ready to pass out....
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%

This discussion has provided me with excellent info, at 36 my gut has grown due to military food being mostly carbs. I am trying to boost the motivational spark and this has given me a reason too. Thanks guys...
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.23%

i cant run on an empty stomach,....i can barely walk up the stairs. i'll usually eat half a dozen or so eggs and then cardio and then either more eggs(preferably an omellette, low fat cheese, spinach leaves, mushrooms, pieces of chicken, and lots of peppers and onions) or a can of tuna, people now a days seem to almost abuse protein powder, its way overused imho!
    IronMagLabs Representative - Adrenolin15 = 15% OFF

IronMagResearch Representative - Adrenolin15 = 15% OFF

21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.77%

I'm going to give the empty-stomach cardio a try. My question is, should I take my Leviathan Reloaded BEFORE the cardio or AFTER, then wait another 45 + minutes before I finally eat something?
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.1%

Do yourselves a favor and drink some taurine and glutamine before your workout. Nice energy, positive feelings, muscle fullness, and better recovery! 2 grams taurine/5 grams glutamine pre and post workout.
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.31%

Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    Do yourselves a favor and drink some taurine and glutamine before your workout. Nice energy, positive feelings, muscle fullness, and better recovery! 2 grams taurine/5 grams glutamine pre and post workout.

I shall try it thanks
  24. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.1%

Anytime V-Power!
  25. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25%

I find myself needing just a little of something on my stomach before i go for a run. Half a banana is the usual. But having said that, I believe an empty stomach is the best way, I'm just not comfortable doing it. It just doesn't feel right to me. Something I must get over and start implementing.
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.6%

I usually drink a protein shake upon waking, then do HIIT cardio about 30-45 min after that. No probs with energy or feeling down (but I am also taking Megadrine and YohimbineHCL pre-cardio)
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  251 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.51%
    Achievements Posting Pro

28. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

so i wanna start doing low intensity AM cardio.. brisk jogging or something.... for 45 min or so... my only question is i have 2 hour MMA classes monday and tuesday which usually are very intense and make me sweat like a pig... should i do keep morning AM cardio to maybe just mon/fri or maybe mon/wed/fri or mon/sat?

right now im pretty sure i have a high BF too
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85%

If you've got the energy to do so, then its the best way to lose fat. If your cardio work is within 50 to 70 percent of your MHR for 30 to 45 minutes you should invoke lipolysis. Our muscles won't become catabolic since we just had spikes of IGH during bedtime.

Empirically, it is the best choice for fat loss, but any real athlete knows that eating before a workout gives you more energy and the potential for strength gains.
  30. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.82%

I noticed my greatest fat burning when I was cardioing in the morning before I ate.

I also believe in HIIT.
  31. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.15%

Lately i've been doing a 45 minute fasted cardio session in the mornings at an average of 77 - 80% of my age-predicted maximum heart rate (MHR); would this be high enough to invoke a catabolic effect? Anything less than this pace and i really don't feel like i'm getting a good workout.
  32. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.1%

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjo View Post
    Lately i've been doing a 45 minute fasted cardio session in the mornings at an average of 77 - 80% of my age-predicted maximum heart rate (MHR); would this be high enough to invoke a catabolic effect? Anything less than this pace and i really don't feel like i'm getting a good workout.
    Everything's give and take when it comes to this topic. Do what you can to minimize catabolism....

... but the answer is 'yes'.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.42%

I like to slam back a few g's of BCAA's and glutamine before any workout. My bet is the BCAA's along with medium intensity cardio is the shiznit in the AM.

IN FACT, that is what I'm just about to do so I'll catch you cool cats later
  34. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.95%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I have actually asked this same question of some of the Pros,

Shawn Ray, Bob Chick, Milos Sarcev just to name a few and they themselves have always subscribed to the empty stomach method....

Treadmill anywhere from 3.5-4.5......
  35. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.1%

Quote Originally Posted by Boyders View Post
    I like to slam back a few g's of BCAA's and glutamine before any workout. My bet is the BCAA's along with medium intensity cardio is the shiznit in the AM.

IN FACT, that is what I'm just about to do so I'll catch you cool cats later
    I would stick to leucine, as it is a ketogenic amino acid, meaning it won't convert to glucose like isoleucine and valine. Also, leucine a signals the body to increase protein synthesis.
  36. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  257 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.32%

i do a compromise. I take 24 grams of whey, 5 grams of bcaas, and 4 grams of glutamine right when i wake up. I go do my HIIT swim routine. then I eat my oatmeal.
  37. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I do cardio twice a day, once in the morning on an empty stomach for an hour, this is either 1 hour of jumping rope/100lb punching bag/swimming/running or a combo of two or more.

At night, I'll do another hour of cardio 3 hours after my last meal which is P/F, usually jumping rope or swimming.

-Body fat is decreasing.
    -Muscle is either the same or minor gains.
    -Strength/Stamina/Endurance are increasing.

I voted it's the best, because it is the best, for me, eating before didn't work for me, through trial and error you find your most effective methods.
  38. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%

should be taking at least 20g whey to mitigate muscle loss - it's not much calories to burn off.
  39. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.76%

yea, well i ate some fruit before hittting the gym in morning doing punching bad and speed bag and jump rope for bout 30 min. whether i either hit it hard and tired out to quick or eating before just doesnt do as well.. but i heard that going on a empty stomach will burn more calories faster. but at same time just doing so much on empty stomach would get u light on ur feet, i figure maybe a lil nuts or fruit or yogurt will suffise till ur done and i drink 2 scoops of prtoein and a breakfast and suits me pretty good and im rdy to go all day and hit the gym with weights in evening!
  40. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.57%

Quote Originally Posted by double s View Post
    I have actually asked this same question of some of the Pros,

Shawn Ray, Bob Chick, Milos Sarcev just to name a few and they themselves have always subscribed to the empty stomach method....

Treadmill anywhere from 3.5-4.5......
    But they use very nice anti-catabolic/anabolic drugs too.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lifting on an empty stomach in the mornings...Bad?
    By Super Penguin in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 10:18 PM
  2. Cardio on empty stomach
    By austink3417 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 01:37 PM
  3. doing HIIT on empty stomach in morning
    By pinchharmonic in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 11:45 PM
  4. Lifting on empty stomach in the morning