Big boy needs to strip out, here's the plan, plz review and critique.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After about 12 years of getting away from the iron and letting my self go, I got back at it in May of this year. In the mean time, I developed some significant health issues including Type II Diabetes, Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) and Hypertension, all of which can and are helped by, you guessed it, resistance training.

I have now been lifting heavy since May, tracking my intake on Calorie Count etc also. For the longest time, I hung around 282-285 but could tell that I was getting leaner based on my appearance and waist size. I did what I could with the PAD for cardio work (mostly walking and peddling) but have recently discovered that I can do some HIIT work on elipticals. (Have been running 20/40 for 5-6 cycles plus warm ups on upper body days, 15/30 for about 4 cycles on leg days.)

I know that some may call this BS, but I swear it is the truth. Over the last month, I have shot up to 315 with only some minor fat gain (can take my heavy belt to the 7th notch instead of the 8th for heavy sets of squat/dead lifts.) However, a few significant things occurred in that time:

1) I quit smoking 11/5/10;

2) I switched to an honest to goodness gym with a real weight room instead of the local hospitals "Healthfit" Center that I had outgrown;

3) I came out of about 5+ months of caloric deficit (Had been running about 2700-3k daily with a few "less disciplined" days here and there, but kept it pretty tight.

(Also, my PCP switched me to Januvia for the diabetes in early November, I wonder if there is a connection?)

At some point about 2 weeks ago, I said "F it", "if my body wants to pack it on, then so be it" and resolved myself to a mass building cycle. I have been making steady gains in my major lifts and this is what keeps me happy and motivated. Anyways, the 2nd part of that resolution was that I would become focused on stripping out after the holidays. ( I mean 315, really, this boy has gotta burn some fat now!)

Here in essence is my plan:

Continue with my four day split (Upper day 1, Lower Day 2, Day off 3, Upper Day 4, lower day 5 with 4 sets of 6-8 reps for major muscle groups/compound movements. 3 sets 10-12 reps for smaller groups) and maybe put a little more emphasis on the Cardio by pushing the HIIT to 8 - 10 cycles 20/40 (and start to decrease rest periods as my overall cardiovascular health improves)on upper body days and maybe a bit less on leg days then throw in a 25- 30 minute walk or bike ride in over the weekend.

Cut daily calories to a strict 2700 daily, shooting for at least 250g or so of protein. (This is the part I would really like some feed back on. Is that too limited? I do not want to strip away the mass I have been working for the last few months. What macro ratios should I shoot for? (35/35/30?)

There are a few things that will have to be taken into consideration:

1) Seeing my lifts increase is what motivates me. I have never been and never will be some one who will stick to a "pick up a 15# dumbell and do 25 reps" program.

2) Any Cardio work will have to take into account the PAD which results in pain full cramps due to limited blood flow. I do find that machines that take the weight off of my feet (bikes, elipticals that I can lean on ) can be help full in getting around this. This has improved greatly since I quit smoking, but building this back up will be a process.

I know that my BF estimate on my profile of 18% is likely wrong (based of 3 site measurement caliper) but I doubt that I am above 25%. Even if we were to assume 30% , that still leaves me about 220lbs of lean mass, so I figure that 260 is a good goal weight.

So long story short, I have never really stripped out seriously before ( but do know from my wild child days of addiction that I look sickly below 215) and could really use some input here. Anything from changes in routine, to cardio work to diet or supps.

If you took the time to read this, thanks for your time, and hopefully, thanks for your input.

maxwkw

Awards
I hate to break it to you, but 220lbs of lean mass is VERY unlikely. At your size try to keep it at simple as possible. Focus on lean meats, veggies (corn and potatoes don't count) and healthy fats (but don't go overboard on them, they are healthy but still calorie dense.

Also if you aren't currently taking a fish oil, start.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hate to break it to you, but 220lbs of lean mass is VERY unlikely. At your size try to keep it at simple as possible. Focus on lean meats, veggies (corn and potatoes don't count) and healthy fats (but don't go overboard on them, they are healthy but still calorie dense.

Also if you aren't currently taking a fish oil, start.
Appreciate the input. I know 220lbs of lean mass sounds a bit unlikely, but I do have a naturally large frame and many prior years of lifting before I gave it up for 12 years, so it is not like I am starting totally fresh. Not where I want to be yet, but I can push some plates ( not just dinner plates either LoL). 7 months back in and squatting over 400, which I know is nothing for many peeps here, but is significant for me as it gives me hope that I can get back to the 500+ lb range I once had accomplished.

Anyways, am gonna stick with the 2700 cal plan with a 45/40/15 target on the macros. (304g carb, 270g protein, 45g fats). Does that seem reasonable?

Also, did start on some Omega 3,6,9 tabs a few weeks ago, hoping it would help with some bursitis in my rotator cuff, but no such luck so far.

Thanks for the input.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok, here is the point I am worried about. If I start to hit the wall on my lifts, it is highly likley that I am gonna cop a "F it" attitude. I want to hold onto the mass and strength that I have built back up as much as possible. Is 2700 cal way to restrictive at my size?

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok, this is how today went. Worked upper body + abs, spent 1hr 25 minutes in weight room. (Mods, feel free to move this to a more appropriate area.)

1 Barbell Bench Press - Medium Grip
#1 240 8
#2 240 6
#3 265 2
#4 225 5
Tried to rep 285, no luck. Last set at 225 was slow reps
2 Bent Over Barbell Row
#1 230 6
#2 230 6
#3 230 4
#4 230 4
3 Barbell Shoulder Press
#1 150 12
#2 150 11
#3 150 11
4 Close-Grip Bench Press
#1 160 12
#2 160 12
#3 160 12
Moved grip out just a bit which took emphasis off the delts. Went much smoother that way.
5 Barbell Curl
#1 90 10
#2 90 10
#3 90 8

This was preceeded by 6 20/40 cycles of HIIT on Eliptical trainer (91 cals)with a 1 minute warm up.

Todays dietary totals were as follows:

286g Carb, 276 gram protein, 63 grams of fat. for total of 2863 calories. Combined with an out put of (estimated) 4956, makes a 2093 calorie deficit on the day. (Seems a bit extreme on the deficit side!)

Food sources included skim and 2% milk (will be all skim from here on) Myofusion, Rye bread, Canned white meat chicken (175 cal/25g protein per can), lite yogurt, cottage cheese, quick oats, pretzel sticks and cottage cheese + a multivitamin and Omega 3,6 and 9 gel caps twice today.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok, slight tweak. After consulting with Calorie Count and setting my goal at 260, (which is more theoretical, I would just like to hit the 12-15% BF range), I bumped my calorie limit to 2954, which ends up with approx. 332 carb, 295 prot, 49 fat split at 45/40/15. Looks like I exceeded my fat amount yesterday and today but was still looking good on overall calories and protein intake.

If it is not obvious already, I am really considering turning this into a transformation log. (Again, mods feel free to move this.)

That being said, here is my starting point:

Weight: 322
Waist: 51.5 in
BF: Unknown (Calipers vary on 3 site reading from 18 (no way) if I go measure half way into the skin fold as per the instructions to 24 if I measure near the bottom. When I get below 300 again, I will have a better (but not great) way to track this as my wife got me a scale with an impedence BF measure on it. As I stated earlier, I have a hard time believing I am above 30%. Yes, I have some serious love handles, a touch of "chest sag" and a bit of dunlop too but am otherwise thick and solid. Will post some "before/start up" pics tonight or tommorow and let you guys estimate.

Also, I am in the last 2 weeks of a halotest cycle (currently running 100mg daily) and will be entering PCT at the end of that 2 weeks. Am starting to feel a bit beat up with aching joints and back pumps at this time, may take a week off to heal some as I will have been going hard and heavy the last 9 weeks and am starting to feel like I have been run over by a truck. Is it a bad idea to do this at the start of/during PCT? (Both a week of and start a strip cycle.)

Would be really great to get a bit of feed back on this peeps. Thanks!

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Day 2, wk 8 (Day 2 of strip cycle) Started with limited cardio as today is primarily lower body/legs. (HIIT 10/20 5 cycles + 1.5 minute warmup = 51 cal) 75 minutes in the weight room.

1 Hack Squat
#1 300 8
#2 300 8
#3 300 8
#4 320 7
2 Barbell Deadlift
#1 315 6
#2 335 4
#3 365 2
#4 375 1
Not sure what it is about squats and dead lifts that makes me say "Screw the 4X8's, let's get heavy" but they do. Missed the 375 on my first try, got it the 2nd.
3 Leg Press
#1 550 10
#2 550 10
#3 550 10
4 Seated Calf Raise
#1 200 10
#2 200 10
#3 200 10
Set one straight toed, set 2 toes out, set 3 toes in.

Today's nutritional totals:2940 cal, 346 g carbs, 240g protein, 60g fat. Food sources included lean ham, rye bread, cottage cheese, skim milk, Swiss cheese, lite yogurt, Quick Oats, skim milk, myofusion protein, Cranberry juice (Blood sugar tanked post workout) Omega 3, 6, 9 gel caps, (Great Northern) Bean soup with ham (Homemade thanks to my loving wife), Wheaties Fuel Bar (not the greatest due to 12 grams of fat/bar but works in a pinch) and Advocare Meal Replacement bar.

Estimated output for the day 4832, making for a deficit of 1892 cal.

spimp187

Awards
I'd recommend getting off the Halotest ASAP. You have some pretty significant health issues that you should work on first. Diabetes, PAD and HTN are all conditions which put a great deal of stress on your body and target end organs, liver, kidneys, heart, etc. Adding a pro-hormone in to the mix is not helping you at all. So, great, you got your bench up to 300 lbs. but you stroke out as you rack it. Your number one priority should be getting to a HEALTHY weight.

I know its challenging to increase your lifts, to get stronger, build muscle, but you have more pressing issues at this time, namely, getting yourself in a healthy condition. You can challenge yourself in other ways besides strength. Try picking a weight you can do 15 reps. with and do 3-5 sets with it starting out with 60 secs. of rest. A goal to work on would be decreasing the rest period to 15 secs.

I'd also recommend a low carb or keto diet. These diets are tremendously effect and work fast. Not to mention there are many studies that have shown that a keto diet can actually improve lipid levels. If you do decide to go this route, talk to your doctor first as you may need to reduce the dosage of your Januvia, since your blood sugar levels will be lower.

Regarding HIIT, you can just do low intensity cardio, keeping your HR between 125-135. With the HTN, this would probably be better for you anyway, and studies have shown low intensity cardio is better for losing fat and preserving muscle. You just have to do it for longer periods of time vs. HIIT.

Also, I'm kinda guessing your BF % is a bit higher than 24%. At 24%, that would put you at roughly 228 lbs. LBM. I'd say you would be quite a bit stronger in your lifts than what you are pushing. And I'm not trying to be a jerk about it but the reason I point it out is because your diet should be crafted from what your LBM is. Miscalculating this detail will throw your whole diet off.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd recommend getting off the Halotest ASAP. You have some pretty significant health issues that you should work on first. Diabetes, PAD and HTN are all conditions which put a great deal of stress on your body and target end organs, liver, kidneys, heart, etc. Adding a pro-hormone in to the mix is not helping you at all. So, great, you got your bench up to 300 lbs. but you stroke out as you rack it. Your number one priority should be getting to a HEALTHY weight.

I know its challenging to increase your lifts, to get stronger, build muscle, but you have more pressing issues at this time, namely, getting yourself in a healthy condition. You can challenge yourself in other ways besides strength. Try picking a weight you can do 15 reps. with and do 3-5 sets with it starting out with 60 secs. of rest. A goal to work on would be decreasing the rest period to 15 secs.

I'd also recommend a low carb or keto diet. These diets are tremendously effect and work fast. Not to mention there are many studies that have shown that a keto diet can actually improve lipid levels. If you do decide to go this route, talk to your doctor first as you may need to reduce the dosage of your Januvia, since your blood sugar levels will be lower.

Regarding HIIT, you can just do low intensity cardio, keeping your HR between 125-135. With the HTN, this would probably be better for you anyway, and studies have shown low intensity cardio is better for losing fat and preserving muscle. You just have to do it for longer periods of time vs. HIIT.

Also, I'm kinda guessing your BF % is a bit higher than 24%. At 24%, that would put you at roughly 228 lbs. LBM. I'd say you would be quite a bit stronger in your lifts than what you are pushing. And I'm not trying to be a jerk about it but the reason I point it out is because your diet should be crafted from what your LBM is. Miscalculating this detail will throw your whole diet off.
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that both the diabetes and hypertension are well controlled (Blood Glucose runs anywhere from 79 to 130) BP tends to run about 125/87.

I never asserted that the 24%bf was accurate although I did say I have had a hard time buying that I am over 30%, but have recently re-evaluated this (I may very well be.)

As to the HIIT, I thought that it was actually better for fat loss and over all heart health than long moderate cardio sessions, based on what I have read, but I could very well be wrong. The PAD prevents me from doing long cardio except for walks or biking, but at least I have those options.

At this point, even thought my approach may not be optimal, it is better than doing nothing and if I revert to a low weight/high rep or circuit training routine, I will likely say "F it". I do try to limit rest periods to no more than a minute except for squats and dead lifts. Not trying to be an ass, I just know myself. What I have been doing was working for getting leaner, I think I just let my diet get more than a bit out of hand lately with the holidays and all. The cardio work (in any form) is a new addition to the training that I feel will also help.

I appreciate your input, but I think for now I am gonna stick with what I can tolerate as well as what motivates me and keep the diet in check and see how it goes. If I do not start to see my waist line decrease by February, then I will change things up.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Off day today, so I did nothing but drive to work and my desk job + a bit of fun (20 minutes) with Wii Sports boxing (which surprisingly gets my heart rate up.

Today's nutrition totals: 2485 cals in, 286 carb, 224 protein and 48 fat. Estimated output 3898 for a deficit of 1413.

Food sources included the same as yesterday + Omega 3,6,9 gel caps.

spimp187

Awards
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that both the diabetes and hypertension are well controlled (Blood Glucose runs anywhere from 79 to 130) BP tends to run about 125/87.

I never asserted that the 24%bf was accurate although I did say I have had a hard time buying that I am over 30%, but have recently re-evaluated this (I may very well be.)

As to the HIIT, I thought that it was actually better for fat loss and over all heart health than long moderate cardio sessions, based on what I have read, but I could very well be wrong. The PAD prevents me from doing long cardio except for walks or biking, but at least I have those options.

At this point, even thought my approach may not be optimal, it is better than doing nothing and if I revert to a low weight/high rep or circuit training routine, I will likely say "F it". I do try to limit rest periods to no more than a minute except for squats and dead lifts. Not trying to be an ass, I just know myself. What I have been doing was working for getting leaner, I think I just let my diet get more than a bit out of hand lately with the holidays and all. The cardio work (in any form) is a new addition to the training that I feel will also help.

I appreciate your input, but I think for now I am gonna stick with what I can tolerate as well as what motivates me and keep the diet in check and see how it goes. If I do not start to see my waist line decrease by February, then I will change things up.
Hey man, you know your body best, stick to what is working for ya. Just throwing out some suggestions for ya. Good luck and props for giving up the smoking - I've heard that's a tough habit to break.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dec 30, 2010
Name: Day 3, wk 8 (Day 3 of strip cycle)
Start Time: 05:10 PM
End Time: 06:20 PM
Duration: 01:10
Notes: Lifting preceded by 7 20/40 HIIT Cycles (+ 1.5 min warm up) FOR 101 Calories ( Not great, but a new best)
Add Exercise

# Exercise Name Set Lbs. Reps
1 Barbell Incline Bench Press - Medium Grip
#1 195 8
#2 205 8
#3 205 8
#4 205 7
2 Assisted Wd Grp Pull up
#1 215 8
#2 215 8
#3 230 4
#4 230 3
Noted weights are body weight (+ clothes = 325) minus assist weight.

3 Seated Dumbbell Press
#1 130 12
#2 130 9
#3 130 8
Noted weight = dumbbell weight X2

4 Seated Hammer Curl
#1 80 12
#2 80 8
#3 80 8
Noted weight = dumbbell weight X2

5 Assisted Dip
#1 235 12
#2 250 8
#3 290 2
Noted weights are body weight (+ clothes = 325) minus assist weight.

Today's Nutritional Totals: 2824 cals, 286 carbs, 246 protein, 74 fat grams ( A bit off on the macro's but under my daily cals, so not to shabby) Estimated output:4789 for a deficit of 1965.

Food sources included Rye Bread, skim milk, Colby cheese, lite yogurt, Quick Oats, myofusion protein, Cranberry juice Omega 3, 6, 9 gel caps, Home made (Great Northern) Bean soup with ham , Wheaties Fuel Bar and canned white meat chicken (175 cal, 25 grams of protein, not bad for a buck at Dollar General )

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Date: Dec 31, 2010
Name: Day 4, wk 8 (Day 4 strip cycle)
Start Time: 11:00 AM
End Time: 12:20 PM
Duration: 01:20
Mood: Normal - Not Great But Not Bad
Notes: Started on Recumbent Eliptical, 6 min warm up, 4 min 10/20 HIIT, 2 min cool down for a total of 12 minutes. Was almost too easy on this machine, but a nice break. This is not included in the noted work out time.

1 Barbell Squat
#1 315 8
#2 345 6
#3 375 4
#4 405 3
Yep, you guessed it, "Screw the 4X8's, LET"S GET HEAVY" (For me at least)

2 Romanian Deadlift
#1 250 6
#2 250 6
#3 250 6
#4 250 6
Still hate these damn things.

3 Leg Extensions
#1 215 12
#2 230 12
#3 230 10

4 Lying Leg Curls
#1 110 12
#2 110 10
#3 110 8

5 Standing Calf Raises
#1 235 12
#2 235 12
#3 235 12
Focused on form and a good full ROM here.

Nutrition info for the day later, on target so far, just under 2k cal and 170g of protein.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In for this one buddy. Congrats on the life change!!!

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thank you sir. Can't wait till I quit waking up craving a smoke, let alone having these brief moments of insanity where I feel like I could crush some one's wind pipe (thank God that is short lived and controllable)

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah.Im actually in recovery from drugs and alcohol, so trust you me, I understand how QUITING things sucks. But Im just about 9 months sober and feel the best I ever have..EVER!!!!! it will get better man!

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah.Im actually in recovery from drugs and alcohol, so trust you me, I understand how QUITING things sucks. But Im just about 9 months sober and feel the best I ever have..EVER!!!!! it will get better man!
Wow, friend of Bill W's, clean and sober 23 years. Grats Man!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
subbed!!! And kudos to you bro for taking the initative to get your life back on track. You seem to have an amazing drive to get it done and I have no doubt that you will achieve your goals. Good move with the pictures, I personally find it more helpful and more motivating to take pics of myself. I have me a little folder on my PC that is sort of like a picture diary of my progress and when I feel down or need reassurance I look though it. Keeping logs also help me stay committed and on track, hopefully you will get the same effect. By the way welcome to the site!!! AM is a great place with some great people here. Keep up the hard work and best of luck to you

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
subbed!!! And kudos to you bro for taking the initative to get your life back on track. You seem to have an amazing drive to get it done and I have no doubt that you will achieve your goals. Good move with the pictures, I personally find it more helpful and more motivating to take pics of myself. I have me a little folder on my PC that is sort of like a picture diary of my progress and when I feel down or need reassurance I look though it. Keeping logs also help me stay committed and on track, hopefully you will get the same effect. By the way welcome to the site!!! AM is a great place with some great people here. Keep up the hard work and best of luck to you
Awesome, thank you Sir. I to have a file of pics on my hard drive, but most of those are taken in such a way to minimize how much flab I am/was carrying. (i.e an upper chest pic that shows how thick it is but hides the "man boobs". Like the example below.) Figured if I am gonna do this, I would need to be brutally honest and forthright.

Attachments

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok, Nutrition info for 12/31/10, would have posted it last night, but the wife was doing the Farmtown thing. Total cals: 2781, 303 carb, 255 Protein, 59 fat grams. Estimated output of 4789 for a deficit of 2008.

Today is going to be a real challenge diet wise, the last Holiday gathering with my sibs and nieces/nephews. Main dish is Famous Recipe Fried Chicken (Kind of like KFC only better) and cheesy potatoes. Think my strat is gonna be have the chicken, pick a breast or other white meat, maybe peel the skin off, small helping of the tators, no pies or cookies.

Last edited:
taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
On another note, maintained discipline pretty well today, although I did allow myself 1 no bake cookie (Cocoa, Peanut Butter and Oatmeal) and 1 Toll House Cookie bar. I have at times in the past gotten totally bingy/compulsive on No bakes before, so am pleased with this.

Totals for today (junk included) 2642 total cals, 287 carbs, 235 protein, 58 fat grams. Estimated out put 3704, deficit of 1062.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Walked for about 25 minutes today, which I have not done for a while. Maybe it was because it was damn cold or maybe the time since the last time I did any extended walking, but the PAD calf cramps set in fairly early, but I just pushed through it.

Today's nutrition numbers: 2674 cals, 215 carb, 219 protein, 104 fat (largely due to a good sized helping of pecans that I did not realize was so calorie dense until after the fact.) 3807 Estimated output for a deficit of 1133. Overall, not a bad weekend.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Had to make it quick today as the wife and wee man were home sick, so me and the oldest hit it real quick while things were quiet.

Did some cardio on Recumbant Eliptical, 2 minute warm up, 20/40 HIIT, 8 cycles, 1 minute cool down, 83 cals. Got me sweating a bit, but again, almost too easy on this machine.

Date: Jan 3, 2011
Name: Day 1, wk 9 (Day 7 of strip cycle)
Start Time: 12:30 PM
End Time: 01:30 PM
Duration: 01:00
Notes: Skipped the delt work in hope that it would allow the bursitis in the rotator cuff heal a bit, Think I am about due for a deload, whether it be a week of volume reduction or just a week with nothing but cardio. Been going heavy about 9 weeks straight and feeling a bit beat up and mentally not into it, at least to day.

1 Barbell Bench Press - Medium Grip
#1 245 6
#2 245 7
#3 255 4
#4 275 1
Last reps on sets 2 and 3 were with some help from my spotter.

2 Bent Over Barbell Row
#1 235 5
#2 235 6
#3 235 6
#4 235 5

3 Close-Grip Bench Press
#1 165 12
#2 165 12
#3 165 12
4 Barbell Curl
#1 95 8
#2 95 6
Son busted me using my delts to get things moving in the lower part of the movement, need to consider dropping weight and cleaning up the form.

Oh, Progress update: Today's tale of the tape, waist 50 in (down 1.5 inches), weight 314.75 but on a different scale than I have been using so I am not gonna get to excited just yet but looks like a reduction of about 7.25 pounds.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today's Nutritional totals are as follows: 2805 total cals, 311g Carb, 229 Protein, 67 fat. Estimated output 4455 for a deficit of 1650. Did allow myself a bag of microwave popcorn tonight as I was almost to low on my fats and overall calories.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you ever considered lowering your carb intake? I have found that weight loss to be way easier the lower the carbs I eat and I generally just feel healtheir when I avoid them. Keto diets are very effective for not only weight loss but just general health as well.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you ever considered lowering your carb intake? I have found that weight loss to be way easier the lower the carbs I eat and I generally just feel healtheir when I avoid them. Keto diets are very effective for not only weight loss but just general health as well.
That is an idea I have been playing with, just have to be careful with my blood glucose levels getting to low with my diabetes meds. Hypoglycemia sucks!

Ok, scale at work puts me at 316.2, so we will go with that. Week one, a loss of 1.5 waist inches and 5.8 pounds. I'll take that!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't know what meds your on but a keto diet shouldn't be contradictive to someone with type 2 diabetes, a keto diet may actually be helpful.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1325029

diabeteshealth.com/read/2009/01/13/6044/extremely-low-carb-ketogenic-diet-leads-to-dramatic-reductions-in-type-2-bg-levels-medications/

There is also the paleo diet approach. Both will be great for your overall health and will assist with your weight loss goals.

Best of luck
You are correct sir! Ketogenic diets were actually first developed with Diabetics in mind. It could be great for my bood glucose levels. All I am saying is that with lower carb intake, I will have to make sure my blood sugars do not get to low because of my meds. Going keto could decrease my dependence on my medications. FYI: Am on Glipizide(stimulates more insulin production) and Januvia (also increases insulin production and also decreases sugar production in the liver.) Blood sugars run about 89-95 first thing in the morning, 79 post workout, 139 after eating, can peak at around 185 if I overdo the carb intake with a meal, which obviously, I try to avoid.

Got any good links for getting started on a keto plan?

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Got out of work a bit late tonight and wanted to be able to see my oldest before he left for his mother's, so day 2 got moved to tomorrow a.m. Was a bit of my nutritional targets today, so def cannot sleep in.

3013 cals, 347g carb, 209g protein, 86 fats. Estimated out 3939, deficit of 926. GN all, will post tomorrows workout and numbers asap!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Got any good links for getting started on a keto plan?
There is the anabolic diet by Dr. Maurio DiPasquale, there is The Paleo Diet by Dr Wolfe. Those are two books I have personally read but I am sure there are others. Its not hard at all to start and the books arent really necessary unless you want to read them and get more of an understanding of what you are doing. The goal is to cut all carbs from your diet. All your calories should come from protein intake and fat intake. The first two weeks you may experience what some people call "the carb flu" it is when your body has a metabolic shift and goes from using carbs as its primary source to using fat as its energy source. After two weeks it is recomended to have a 24hr carb love fest and then it is back to 5 more days no carbs. I am not too sure how the carb refeeds will effect your blood sugars. A more better option is maybe one of the scivation diets. I believe they are based on having a carb refeed every 3 days and its only 1 meal. The key is to play around with it and see what works best for you. Scivation has a couple of really good ebooks that are free you can read. A good resource for paleo would be Mark Sissons site primal and as for the anabolic diet I am sure you can find the book online somewhere to download.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There is the anabolic diet by Dr. Maurio DiPasquale, there is The Paleo Diet by Dr Wolfe. Those are two books I have personally read but I am sure there are others. Its not hard at all to start and the books arent really necessary unless you want to read them and get more of an understanding of what you are doing. The goal is to cut all carbs from your diet. All your calories should come from protein intake and fat intake. The first two weeks you may experience what some people call "the carb flu" it is when your body has a metabolic shift and goes from using carbs as its primary source to using fat as its energy source. After two weeks it is recomended to have a 24hr carb love fest and then it is back to 5 more days no carbs. I am not too sure how the carb refeeds will effect your blood sugars. A more better option is maybe one of the scivation diets. I believe they are based on having a carb refeed every 3 days and its only 1 meal. The key is to play around with it and see what works best for you. Scivation has a couple of really good ebooks that are free you can read. A good resource for paleo would be Mark Sissons site primal and as for the anabolic diet I am sure you can find the book online somewhere to download.
You have peaked my interest!

Barely got my butt to the gym, losing the fire. Gonna try to finish this week strong and then shut it down for a week as far as the iron goes.

1 Hack Squat
#1 320 8

#2 320 8

#3 320 8

2 Barbell Deadlift
#1 315 8

#2 365 3

#3 385 1

Need to work more on forearms, barely able to keep from dropping 385 on the floor once I got it up.

3 Leg Press

#1 570 10

#2 570 10

#3 570 10

4 Seated Calf Raise
#1 190 12

#2 190 12

#3 190 12

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today's Nutrition totals: 2880 cals, 280 carb, 244 protein, 89 fats. Estimated output 4649 for a deficit of 1418.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jan 6, 2011
Name: Day 3, wk 9 (Day 10 of strip cycle)
Start Time: 05:00 PM
End Time: 06:05 PM
Duration: 01:05
Notes: Lifting preceded by 2 min warm up then 5 20/40 HIIT cycles to get a good sweat going (81 cal). Skipped OH DB Presses hoping to let bursitis in left RC heal more.

1 Incline Dumbbell Press
#1 180 8
#2 180 8
#3 190 8
#4 190 8
Dumbbell weight X2

2 Assisted Wd Grip Pull ups
#1 210 8
#2 210 8
#3 225 6
#4 225 5
Noted weight = body weight (+shoes) of 320 - assistance weight.

3 Triceps Pushdown - Rope Attachment
#1 110 12
#2 120 12
#3 130 12
Switched to this from assisted dips to spare stress on RC.

4 Dumbbell One Arm Triceps Extension
#1 35 10
#2 30 12

5 Hammer Curls
#1 45 10
#2 45 10

6 Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curl
#1 25 12
#2 30 12
Did these seated to minimize use of momentum, went light with strict form.

Today's Nutrition: 2873 cal, 235 carb, 254 protein, 95 fat. Estimated output 4771 for a deficit of 1898.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
an 7, 2011
Name: Day 4, wk 9 (day 11 of strip cycle)
Start Time: 05:05 PM
End Time: 06:25 PM

1 Barbell Squat
#1 325 8
#2 365 6
#3 395 3
#4 415 2
Tried my best to go as deep as I could and got a form check. Apparently, I am a bit short of being parallel but otherwise am tight.

2 Romanian Deadlift
#1 255 6
#2 255 6
#3 255 6
#4 255 6

3 Leg Extensions
#1 110 12
#2 130 12
#3 140 12

4 Lying Leg Curls
#1 110 12
#2 110 8
#3 110 8
On dift machine than last week, so weights likely differ.

5 Standing Calf Raises
#1 180 12
#2 200 12
#3 200 12
On dift machine than last week, so weights likely differ. Set 1 straight, set two toes out, set 3, toes in.

Nutrition numbers: (today was my cheat but don't get crazy day) 3463 cals, 368 carb, 238 protein, 115 fat. Estimated output of 4925 for a deficit of 1462.

Shutting it down for a week to heal up a bit, will continue some cardio and ab work. Will keep posting about that and dietary amounts.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
an 7, 2011
Name: Day 4, wk 9 (day 11 of strip cycle)
Start Time: 05:05 PM
End Time: 06:25 PM

Shutting it down for a week to heal up a bit, will continue some cardio and ab work. Will keep posting about that and dietary amounts.
Always good to deload, especially after 9 weeks of intense lifting!

Might I sugegst you try and stay somewhat active during this week. Such as maybe lift you main compound lifts but only at 50% or simply jogging and doing some body weight type stuff. Contrast baths, foam rolling, yoga, stretching, massages, etc.. all great for a deload.

Keep up the good work buddy:biggthumpup:

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Always good to deload, especially after 9 weeks of intense lifting!

Might I sugegst you try and stay somewhat active during this week. Such as maybe lift you main compound lifts but only at 50% or simply jogging and doing some body weight type stuff. Contrast baths, foam rolling, yoga, stretching, massages, etc.. all great for a deload.

Keep up the good work buddy:biggthumpup:
Yep, plan on continuing the cardio work, maybe some swimming and stretching the week I am off the iron. Perhaps a whirlpool here and there.

What is "contrast bath" ?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
when you go back and forth between hot and cold baths. You can try this in a shower. It is a form of treatment for inflammation. I have never personally tried it but have heard it praised before. Another techinque is simply cold water therapy. I am sure you can find more info on google. For delaod I persoanlly continue to lift at 50% and do a ton of foam rolling and stretching and maybe a massage and sauna

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
when you go back and forth between hot and cold baths. You can try this in a shower. It is a form of treatment for inflammation. I have never personally tried it but have heard it praised before. Another techinque is simply cold water therapy. I am sure you can find more info on google. For delaod I persoanlly continue to lift at 50% and do a ton of foam rolling and stretching and maybe a massage and sauna
Cool, thanks Josh. That may be a good idea for some of my sorer joints. I have also had foam rolling suggested to me for some flexibility issues (can't quite get to parallel squatting regardless of weight.)

Nutrition totals for 1/8/11 (Day 12 of strip cycle)
2623 cals, 319 carb (a bit high), 206 protein ( a bit low), 58 fat.

At this point, I am more concerned with staying in my calorie range and getting at least 200+Grams of protein daily than hitting specific macro numbers, it seems to be working thus far.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
I preface by saying it takes alot of courage to be where you are and wanna face/meet it head on; posting pics as well takes it even further 1 step....

Im not to chime in much other than dont quit..never give up..dont get complacent and dont listen to negativity..Good luck friend.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
Motivation

Taman, this was me Feb 2010, 247 lbs..even peaked at 260. I am now what you see in the avatar and been as low as 192 ripped. Now that I know how to diet effectively, I can bulk cleanly and strip without losing much muscle..

1 day at a time and DONT QUIT!

Attachments

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I preface by saying it takes alot of courage to be where you are and wanna face/meet it head on; posting pics as well takes it even further 1 step....

Im not to chime in much other than dont quit..never give up..dont get complacent and dont listen to negativity..Good luck friend.
Thank you Sir. Don`t need luck, got determination, the basis that I have done this before, a loving wife & kids plus a cool ,knowledgeable & awesome community to both aid & hold me accountable! I would've blown off deadlifts etc. Wednesday morn if not 4 thinking about the crap I would get 4 not following through here : )

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
Thank you Sir. Don`t need luck, got determination, the basis that I have done this before, a loving wife & kids plus a cool ,knowledgeable & awesome community to both aid & hold me accountable! I would've blown off deadlifts etc. Wednesday morn if not 4 thinking about the crap I would get 4 not following through here : )
Excellent notion. My first 2-3 mos were difficult, but have some great bros here who helped aid me...

Im subbin to follow, encourage, and yes, hold you accountable!

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Excellent notion. My first 2-3 mos were difficult, but have some great bros here who helped aid me...

Im subbin to follow, encourage, and yes, hold you accountable!
Awesome and welcome aboard, the more the merrier!

Today was a bit weird for the macro percentages, leaning closer to keto, but not really. Like I said earlier, more concerned about hitting at least 200g protein and at or under my overall calorie targets.

2780 total cals, 182 carb, 203 protein, 130 fat, estimated out put of 3711 for a deficit of 931. Weekly "Tale of the tape" coming up on Tuesday, getting excited. In all honesty, I will probably weigh myself at work tomorrow but not count it until Tuesdays weigh in.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today's Nutrition info: 2787 cals, 233 carb, 204 Protein, 109 fat. Estimated output 3906, deficit of 1119. Will post this weeks weight and waste measurements tomorrow, gonna hit some cardio after work too.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today's "tale of the tape" 311.8 lbs (down 10.2 total) and 48.75 in on the waist (down 2.75 total) or a change of 4.4 lbs and 1.25 in since last week.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks Flex!

Tonight was a really nice break, got to the Y, did some HIIT on the REcumbant Elliptical (Nufit), with a twist. Warmed up with resistance at 3/10 for 2 min, then 10 20/40 Intensity Intervals where I ramped the resistance to 5/10 and pushed to about 160 steps/minute, coasted at 3 till about 20 minutes then a 1 minute cool down at level 1. (155 cal). Went into the weight room and did just some light work on the rotator cuff, hit the shower and did some hot/cold contrast therapy on the shoulder, hit the sauna, cooled down and then about 10 minutes in whirlpool. I could get used to this, but this **** will not get me to where I want to be and I would get bored with it soon enough, but is a nice change of pace.

Then I came home and spent about another 1/2 an hr blowing snow out the driveway, which is good because it helped me compensate for some poor dietary choices this morning (let's just say I had a moment of weakness.)

So, with that confessed, here are today's dietary totals: 3281 cals, 388 carbs (my morning indescretion), 200 protein, 106 fat. Estimated output 4232 for a deficit of 951.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today's diet info: 2935 cals, 337 carbs, 196 protein, 97 fat. Estimated output 3909 for a deficit of 974.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looking good buddy!!! Keep at it!