Need advice on caloric needs...

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hi guys, I'm hoping you all can help me with some advice on daily caloric needs for my particular situation. Also, I might need help with nutrient timing. I am 6'2", 200 lbs, about 14% body fat (a pure guess).

I am taking a break from weightlifting and trying P90x just to change things up, and hopefully to act as a vehicle to help me lose some fat. I'm in the second week currently, and the program is really pretty intense, at least compared to anything I've tried before. I am making good progress as far as number of pullups/pushups per workout goes, so at least I am not stagnant.

I have never really done a cut before, believe it or not, so I'm not sure what I should be expecting. My goal is to lose fat, and finally expose the abdominals (I've never seen them before!).

This is the first time I've actually watched my diet, as well, so I might need some coaching. I am logging all food on fitday. I'm doing 3200 calories per day at the moment, but don't know if this is the right amount. My macro breakdowns are usually between 45/35/20 and 50/30/20 P/C/F

I do carb/protein meals in the beginning of the day and taper down to fat/protein meals towards the end of the day. For proteins I have been eating baked turkey and chicken breast, lean red meat (about half of the white meat amount), lean deli meats, and occasionally some fish (baked). Also throughout the day I will have a protein shake or two consisting of 1/2 cup milk (skim), 1/2 cup egg whites, and 1 or 2 scoops of whey.

Carbs so far have been Quaker Oatmeal Squares, Cream of Wheat, brown rice, about a cup of fruit per day, and milk. Fats are pecans, walnuts, and whatever fat comes from other meals, like the fat from meats and the whey.

I space meals out over 6 or 7 meals, eating until satisfied but not stuffed.

I do currently use simple carbs post workout (1 cup grape or apple juice, 30-40g), but have been reading here that no post carbs are necessary. So I might cut those.

I have not lost size from my measurements yet, though I have only been on this diet and cardio program 2 weeks. If I flex the abs I think I may see a little more definition, but this is so minor it might as well be my imagination.

My questions are how fast should one expect/hope to lose body fat from a frame that is already somewhat lean? I know people cutting from the lower teen BF%s have a harder time than those losing weight from a high body fat. Any advice on sparing muscle? I am definitely gaining cardiovascular and muscular endurance from this program, and I would like to continue to do so.

Also, does anyone have general or specific advice on nutrient timing? Is the outline I stated above mostly correct? (carbs/protein in the morning and afternoon, protein/fats in the evening). Any advice about eating before bed? Is it OK to eat before bed as long as there are no carbs in the mix?

edit: deleted pics because of no replies...

Last edited:

carnivalhobo

Awards
Calculate your BMR and then create a deficit from there. My guess is 3200 is too high to create noticeable loss. Morning fasted cardio and HIIT are both used heavily by those trying to cut. I think your timing is fine, although you will likely have to cut out more carbs or use some carb cycling to get too far down there in BF.