Advice on burning off fat in abs

viking805fan

Awards
Any advice on how to burn some fat in the lower abs area like either routines or certain workouts?? Ive having trouble in this area and I know it takes more than just sit ups to get hard abs. thanks

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Best advice is to switch to early morning medium intensity catdio before you eat, plus good control of diet.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Diet, diet, diet. You CAN NOT lose fat from *just* any spot. Your body is predisposed to store fat in certain places and your stomach is #1 on the list. So if you want to see your abs, you have to get rid of most of the fat on your body by diet and proper exercise. When you exercise, remember that quality is more important than quantity. HIIT, Tabata, etc...

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As has already been said - diet is number one. You could try switching over into a ketogenic diet for a little extra kick. Leg raises and lying leg raises (on the floor with a dumbell between your feet) are both really good exercises for lower abs for me. Once you get to a really low bf%, I've heard a lot of people say they use preparation H and put it on the lower abs and wrap them while doing intense cardio (pretty sure that's only effective once you're at really low body fat anyway).

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any advice on how to burn some fat in the lower abs area like either routines or certain workouts?? Ive having trouble in this area and I know it takes more than just sit ups to get hard abs. thanks
As has already been mentioned, you can't spot reduce the fat from your lower abs through training. You need to lose fat OVERALL, period.

Read Transfom Your Tummy With These 8 Essential Tips! for advice on what to do to change the look of your midsection.

Read The 3 Keys to Fat Loss for comprehensive information re nutrition and training for fat loss.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

massbuilder77

massbuilder77

Awards
like others said, diet is key. stop eating out completely. cook all foods at home. no more sugar sodas and so on. Even when you think you are eating healthy such as Boston Market, you are consuming huge amounts of salt.

I didn't see any real changes in my weight or appearance until I stopped all eating out and structured my diet very rigid.

Even though I'm on a flat spot right now....over the course of a year with some cheating off my diet. I've increased reduced my waistline by 4 inches, lost about 15lbs of fat and dropped BF from 24 - 16%

Good luck!

viking805fan

Awards
Alright. thanks for the advice. One more question, how would I be able to know my BF% without going to see a doctor??

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alright. thanks for the advice. One more question, how would I be able to know my BF% without going to see a doctor??
You can use calipers and there are some more advanced machines that you could buy for at home use. There are also scales that calculate it, but I think they're worthless.

viking805fan

Awards
Thanks! I found these in Amazon, pretty cheap in price but they have received pretty great customer reviews.

amazon.com/AccuMeasure-MyoTape-AM-3000-Fitness-Personal/dp/B002VAPHXW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

would you recommend these?

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Don't bother. BF%'s are unreliable and at the end of the day really don't mean much.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To answer your question how to get a BF% measurement without measurements from aid of another person simply get a bioelectrical impedence machine. You can purchase on Amazon.com for like $40 or so. All you do is hold the machine and it provides a reading.
You should have added "that has a greater margin of error than most peoples bf %" after "provides a reading "

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am going to throw a cat amongst the pigeons and disagree with almost everyone here.

You are predisposed to storing fat in certain areas but you are able to change the factors involved. Anyone who has read CT's Biosignature experience on TNation knows that spot reduction isn't as crazy a concept as most people think. It involves identifying where you store fat and improving your hormonal profile to stop that happening. Yes, it does result in fat loss from the entire body but it does give you a tool for identifying your problems.

On the whole you can still make the generalisation that most people do simply need to lose more fat as it is rare to have a man at 8% with a large pocket of fat anywhere on their body.

I have written an article on fat storage on the abs which you can read on BB.com. Search for Ben Carpenter, I forget the name of it as they renamed it after I submitted it to them.

I hope this helps.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I've really struggled with mid to lower ab fat, so much so that the rest of my body would like easily 2% leaner. What seemst o be helping more than any fat burner topical or oral is managing insulin. Limting my to certain meals whilst taking a nutrient partitioner. I've pretty much eliminated my love handles and the portruding lower ab fat even whilst on a clean bulk.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've really struggled with mid to lower ab fat, so much so that the rest of my body would like easily 2% leaner. What seemst o be helping more than any fat burner topical or oral is managing insulin. Limting my to certain meals whilst taking a nutrient partitioner. I've pretty much eliminated my love handles and the portruding lower ab fat even whilst on a clean bulk.

You have hit the nail on the head sir. Insulin and cortisol go hand in hand, both of which will cause fat storage around the midsection.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Although that being said, topical licorice can cause localised fat loss on the abdominals as well as helping adrenal health.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I am going to throw a cat amongst the pigeons and disagree with almost everyone here.

You are predisposed to storing fat in certain areas but you are able to change the factors involved. Anyone who has read CT's Biosignature experience on TNation knows that spot reduction isn't as crazy a concept as most people think. It involves identifying where you store fat and improving your hormonal profile to stop that happening. Yes, it does result in fat loss from the entire body but it does give you a tool for identifying your problems.

On the whole you can still make the generalisation that most people do simply need to lose more fat as it is rare to have a man at 8% with a large pocket of fat anywhere on their body.

I have written an article on fat storage on the abs which you can read on BB.com. Search for Ben Carpenter, I forget the name of it as they renamed it after I submitted it to them.

I hope this helps.
I would like to see a few research articles published to a refereed journal on this topic.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you looked? :)

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
As stated especially the lower abs, diet is key the lower abs will more then likely be one of the last areas of fat to come of the body. The only advice i can give is solid diet, fased cardio, ab work to work the lower abs and a lot of patience and determination.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didn't realise you were asking- I didn't see you say please or add a question mark. You can look for them yourself, I didn't start a thread with my theory, I came here to help someone out!

You can read the article I recommended, look into the Biosignature piece done on CT, there is a snippet written by Milos Sarcev as well. The last two are not referenced material but you can find studies based on their examples like the role estrogen plays in fat storage on the pecs and thighs (shouldn't be a big surprise for most on here).

I hope this helps.

Siznoyton

Awards
  • Established
as everyone else has said, lower abs on the male body seem to be the last to relinquish their fat storage. it's important to not let this discourage you...it takes time!

diet, early morning cardio (pre-food), and cortisol control have worked best for me.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I didn't realise you were asking- I didn't see you say please or add a question mark. You can look for them yourself, I didn't start a thread with my theory, I came here to help someone out!

You can read the article I recommended, look into the Biosignature piece done on CT, there is a snippet written by Milos Sarcev as well. The last two are not referenced material but you can find studies based on their examples like the role estrogen plays in fat storage on the pecs and thighs (shouldn't be a big surprise for most on here).

I hope this helps.
It's very common to provide references to scientific claims. Otherwise this begins a downward spiral of information which has little if any scientific evidence to suggest a theory to be true. I'm only interested in refereed journal articles because nearly anyone can research a particular topic. Some may alter data, leave out data, etc. Refereed journals help to weed out particularly bad research. I'm not pointing any fingers, it helps everyone on the board to get quality information.

P.S. I'm well aware of hormone physiology and metabolic pathways.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You have hit the nail on the head sir. Insulin and cortisol go hand in hand, both of which will cause fat storage around the midsection.
Yes all these hormones are factors in bodyfat distribution yet all are required for normal metabolic health. One cannot simply manipulate/eliminate these hormones without making trade-offs in other areas.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
russ- I agree wholeheartedly that studies are important, as you will have noticed from the article I have written.

I am using my phone to post on here so if you would like more studies I would recommend searching and following the articles in my previous post.

RAHHH

Awards
  • Established
itd diet, your body burns fat al over. foreg: you do a shot load of crunches and burn fat, well it dont mean that you will burn fat aroudn abs could be off your ass or maybe chest.
what im saying is there is NO spacific workout for abs to burn fat off them, do cardio, keep sugar/carb intake low and try doing cardio durin morning with some IBCAA's before.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Just do a bunch of leg raises brah. Fat will melt right off.