Calorie and protien dilemma

Bulltonic

Awards
My goal is to maintain as much LBM as I can while trying to shed bodyfat. I need to shed about 10%. My LBM is 230lbs. My questions are these:

Do you calculate your total calories on your current body weight or your target weight.
Do you base your protein intake on your current body weight, current total weight or current LBM. Or on goals??

Pretty sure I have the supplements I need-I know this is the wrong forum for that so ask I will share that I fo with you.

All advice is welcomed, hopefully constructive  thanks to all

fitcopforlife

fitcopforlife

Awards
  • Established
My goal is to maintain as much LBM as I can while trying to shed bodyfat. I need to shed about 10%. My LBM is 230lbs. My questions are these:

Do you calculate your total calories on your current body weight or your target weight.
Do you base your protein intake on your current body weight, current total weight or current LBM. Or on goals??

Pretty sure I have the supplements I need-I know this is the wrong forum for that so ask I will share that I fo with you.

Definately your current body weight and adjust as you go.

Gonzo14

Gonzo14

Awards
  • Established
Calculate to your current body weight, and re calculate every week or so based on your weight at that time.
If your looking to shed 10% depending on you current BF% you DO NOT need weight loss supplements, the only supplements you should be taking are your staples. Let your body do the work untill you get down to 8-10%BF then consider using those weight loss supplements other wise it'll be a waste/.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Your Maintenance calories are calculated based on your CURRENT body weight, height, age, sex, and activity level. There is a Maintenance formula that you can use in the article The 3 Keys to Fat Loss. Do remember that Maintenance is just an ESTIMATION and that there are many formulas out there, and your answers will differ from one to the other. Therefore, it is key that you adjust and manipulate your nutrition re bodyweight, etc. each week, and take note of your progress. Your Maintenance WILL change if your body weight, age, or activity level changes.

You base your protein on your CURRENT body weight.

Gonzo14 said it right re supplements - you don't need any. The article above covers supplementation for fat loss.

In fact, I recommend reviewing the article above in general, to get an overall idea of what you should and need to do for successful fat loss.

~Team APPNUT

Bulltonic

Awards
Thank you all. I am still very, well, afraid of losing the muscle that I already worked so hard to get.
The rational I'm using for the supplements is that my BF is tooooo high and I think I need extra help.

You all rock, keep the advice coming please

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you all. I am still very, well, afraid of losing the muscle that I already worked so hard to get.
The rational I'm using for the supplements is that my BF is tooooo high and I think I need extra help.

You all rock, keep the advice coming please
You won't lose your muscle if you manipulate your NUTRITION correctly. You WILL lose muscle if you be stupid about your calories or carbohydrates and take either or ridiculously low.

Your rational is somewhat off. The more bodyfat you have to lose and the higher your body composition, the less effect a fat burner is going to have. They really make the most difference when you are relatively lean and are just looking to lose that last 1-2% bodyfat.

What regimen would you recommend? Low and high everyother day or some kinda of other split?

Educate me bro
You have to find YOUR sweet spot, but generally you do 2-4 days below Maintenance re calorie/carbohydrate intake, and then 1-2 days either at or above Maintenance re calorie/carbohydrate intake, with the extra calories coming from carbohydrates.

Do some research of your own on carbohydrate cycling and educate yourself.

~Team APPNUT

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What regimen would you recommend? Low and high everyother day or some kinda of other split?

Educate me bro
IMO this unnecessary at this point. If you are new to this and have a lot of BF to lose then just focus on the basics. Get your calories in check with reasonably balanced macros (Rosie goes into this in her article) and you will make progress.

Supps, keto diets, carb cycling, etc MAY have some use at low bodyfat levels but understand that they do incur some additional hardships. Supps cost money, fat burners often contain high levels of caffeine and/or ephedrine which will get you wired up. Carb deprivation can lead to less energy at the gym and carb cravings that make dieting require even more discipline. Don't make it more difficult than it has to be.