Fix my calories please!

bumper.45acp

Awards
I am having a hell of a time finding what calories I should be getting daily. I have been tracking calories religiously for about 6 months. I am losing about 2lbs per month with an average of 1850cals/day. I was 320lbs on Apr 1st and I was 306lbs this morning. I weight train 4-5 days per week (PPL), I do 65lb weighted rucks 1-3 days per week, around .75-1.5 miles. I have put on some muscle but nothing crazy. It just feels like I am close to maintenance cals, and I have tried to drop to around 1400-1500 calories and my weight loss just stops and I feel like crap. Also I am on TRT doses of sustanon. I am just really frustrated and need some help.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Great job on the weight loss so far! Slow progress is still progress, and sustainable progress is best of all.

That being said, how are you tracking the 1850 cals/day? An app? Weighing all foods with a digital scale? ect.

Are you having any free or cheat meals/days?

How often do you weigh yourself? How are you tracking for changes overtime? Any trend lines you are looking for?

How many steps a day do you take? Do you monitor this?

When you lower the cals, how long do you monitor before deciding your weight loss stops? Do you deviate from this diet? If so, more often than 1850? How long does it take for you energy levels to decline?

Have you had your thyroid checked?

All these answers will likely help anyone here understand how to help further.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I was 320lbs on Apr 1st and I was 306lbs this morning. I weight train 4-5 days per week (PPL), I do 65lb weighted rucks 1-3 days per week, around .75-1.5 miles. I have put on some muscle but nothing crazy.
That being said, how are you tracking the 1850 cals/day? An app? Weighing all foods with a digital scale? ect.

Are you having any free or cheat meals/days?
I would echo SweetLou's comments. It sounds like you're doing the right things on paper, and I would expect more weight loss from a 320lb man in that time period. how old are you and how tall are you?

Post your daily food intake so we can see a little more info.

bumper.45acp

Awards
I use the Cronometer App and weigh or measure everything. I use a digital scale for weighing food.

I have had probably 6 or 8 full on "cheat" meals since April.

I go back and forth with checking weight. Sometimes I weigh every day, sometimes 2 or 3 times a week and occasionally I will weigh every day.

I have no clue on steps, I dont have a way to monitor that. My job keeps me glued to a desk but I keep a kettlebell in my office and try to get 100 or so swings in every day. We homestead so when i am off work there is quite a bit of walking.

I dropped to 1500 cals for about a month and it was terrible. I had zero energy and my weight actually went up by about a pound during that time. It was a steady decline in energy after about 4 or 5 days.

My thyroid numbers show in range when I get my TRT bloodwork done, but never had an actual thyroid test done.

bumper.45acp

Awards
I would echo SweetLou's comments. It sounds like you're doing the right things on paper, and I would expect more weight loss from a 320lb man in that time period. how old are you and how tall are you?

Post your daily food intake so we can see a little more info.
Yeah I was expecting the weight to just fly off as it has in the past when i started weight training. Although I am 40 now soooo i guess I cant expect everything to go like it did in my 20s lol. Also I am 5'10"

I am trying to figure out how to get pics of my food intake from the app to here, as soon as I do I will post them up.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have no clue on steps, I dont have a way to monitor that. My job keeps me glued to a desk but I keep a kettlebell in my office and try to get 100 or so swings in every day. We homestead so when i am off work there is quite a bit of walking.
If you walk, its pretty easy to get a close estimate. Count the number of steps you take at your usual pace during one minute. For me, that is about 118 steps per minute. Then multiply that by the number of minutes you walk. As an example, for me - a 90 minute walk is approx. 10620 steps.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Here are a couple days of eating
For me, I would have a hard time losing weight at that carb level. FWIW when I am serious about wanting to burn fat, carbs are not my friend. For me, about 30% protein, 60% (healthy) fat, and 10% carbs work best. That is just as point of reference.

For weight loss, I a good ball park is to first determine your basic caloric maintenance requirements (there are many online calculators) and then reduce calories by about 500.

Edit: Based om 40 years old, moderately active, 306 lbs and 5"10", here are the results of one online calculator:

Last edited:
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If you eat like you normally do for the next 7 days and write it all down, total it up and divide by 7 you will get your approximate maintenance calories.

Here's the issue tho. 1500-1800 calories is a bikini girls diet, for a 300lb man it's a starvation diet. Hell, for a 200lb man it's a starvation diet. You gotta work on increasing the activity and not lowering calories. At 300 you should be easily able to eat 2500+ cal a day and be dropping weight.

ZLB70

ZLB70

Awards
Are you positive you’re weighing and calculating things correctly? At that low of calories for that size I’d strongly assume you should be losing much more

bumper.45acp

Awards
Are you positive you’re weighing and calculating things correctly? At that low of calories for that size I’d strongly assume you should be losing much more
Yes that is something I have been really strict on. I agree that I should be dropping weight like I'm on meth.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you eat like you normally do for the next 7 days and write it all down, total it up and divide by 7 you will get your approximate maintenance calories.

Here's the issue tho. 1500-1800 calories is a bikini girls diet, for a 300lb man it's a starvation diet. Hell, for a 200lb man it's a starvation diet. You gotta work on increasing the activity and not lowering calories. At 300 you should be easily able to eat 2500+ cal a day and be dropping weight.
Some people are outliers though. So maybe this is a rare time where someone does indeed have a slower than average metabolism alongside maybe their metabolism is fairly adaptive, this could create the perfect storm to where even with really low cals, weight loss could be slow. My father is personally one of these people. I also have a VERY adaptive metabolism myself. And 1,600-1,800 is a good range at 5'10 185-190lbs to lose 1-2 lbs a week for me ect. I also have super bad obesity genetics.

I say all of this OP to point out that maybe, if you are doing everything right, that maybe this is just one area you did not get a winning hand and acceptance may been a best option if all else fails and you just have to find way to make it work from there.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Macrofactor may be an app worth using though. If you are doing everything right, at least their algo is designed to give a rolling metabolic rate estimate to help give you a clearer picture of what is going on in the back ground numbers wise.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I think that's the size of my meal 1 :ROFLMAO:
Currently that's my dinner.

I'm really eating for convince lately cus of the job schedule.

Coffee and a protein bar on the ride to work 300cal

Salad with grilled chicken and vegetables for lunch 600cal

Greek yogurt and ProSynthesis-17 which is a bunch of amino acids 230cal

Dinner kinda stretched over 1-2 hours of eating and working on stuff but is about 1800 calories to put me to my maintenence calories of 3000 at 195lbs

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Macrofactor may be an app worth using though. If you are doing everything right, at least their algo is designed to give a rolling metabolic rate estimate to help give you a clearer picture of what is going on in the back ground numbers wise.
Id second this. If you have been tracking for as long as you say, you can sign up and backlog a month of data in the app and it will give you a good indication on your TDEE and what you should be eating on a daily basis to reach your goals.

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Your phone calculates steps for you, at least mine does. If your doesn’t invest in a step counter. Walking/steps is what you need. You don’t need less calories you need more activity. Three ten minute walks is better than 100KB swings a day. I’d also take off the weighted vest, your joints don’t need it. You simply need to walk more, stay focused on eating, maybe I crease calories a bit, and keep training.

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I would increase protein to 200-250g/day. Not sure what you are at. What’s your carbs and fat macros?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm really eating for convince lately cus of the job schedule.
I've done that awhile back. I use to eat two large meals a day but now i'm at 4 whole meals + two protein shakes (protein coffee and then post workout)

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've done that awhile back. I use to eat two large meals a day but now i'm at 4 whole meals + two protein shakes (protein coffee and then post workout)
Do you notice the performance difference eating all day. I always feel my workouts are better when I'm eating around the clock. When I'm doing things like I am now, my morning workouts usually suffer a bit

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Do you notice the performance difference eating all day. I always feel my workouts are better when I'm eating around the clock. When I'm doing things like I am now, my morning workouts usually suffer a bit
Yep I agree. Eatting around the clock I think helps my workouts in terms of energy. Digestion just seems to be better when doing that versus a few big meals as well.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yep I agree. Eatting around the clock I think helps my workouts in terms of energy. Digestion just seems to be better when doing that versus a few big meals as well.
Do you have any thoughts on the insulin impact resulting from eating several meals throughout the day vs the insulin impact of eating on a more limited schedule, such as IF?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I was expecting the weight to just fly off as it has in the past when i started weight training. Although I am 40 now soooo i guess I cant expect everything to go like it did in my 20s lol. Also I am 5'10"

I am trying to figure out how to get pics of my food intake from the app to here, as soon as I do I will post them up.
Here are a couple days of eating
kinda a dumb question but are you male or female? I assumed male for a number of reasons but saw the picture on your food app... what was your weight lifting like before April when you started logging and dropping weight?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do you have any thoughts on the insulin impact resulting from eating several meals throughout the day vs the insulin impact of eating on a more limited schedule, such as IF?
I think you'd have to quantify what you mean for each (many vs fewer meals), have to quantify what meal composition is, and then after that ask why you'd even be worried about insulin (as long as you are a healthy individual).

You probably would want to be more cognizant of blood glucose levels rather than insulin and even then I am unsure how meaningful the differences will be (in terms of what to even worry about) when calories are matched.

*Keeping in mind this is all in regards to actual physiological benefits, not individual preferences and tolerances to what they can stick to and enjoy.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think you'd have to quantify what you mean for each (many vs fewer meals), have to quantify what meal composition is, and then after that ask why you'd even be worried about insulin (as long as you are a healthy individual).

You probably would want to be more cognizant of blood glucose levels rather than insulin and even then I am unsure how meaningful the differences will be (in terms of what to even worry about) when calories are matched.

*Keeping in mind this is all in regards to actual physiological benefits, not individual preferences and tolerances to what they can stick to and enjoy.
Got it.

Metabolic syndrome/disorder and insulin resistance are very, very common in the US. It is argued that most of that stems from frequent consumption of sugar and highly processed food. Being significantly overweight and having a large amount of abdominal fat), an inactive lifestyle, and a diet high in carbohydrates are the primary causes of insulin resistance. Some argue that frequent eating and snacking play a role as well. Metabolic syndrome/disorder/insulin resistance/diabetes/inflammation has skyrocketed since the 1970s/1980s when grain based and highly processed foods (much of which is LOADED with added sugar) became the norm. The studies are very conclusive in that regard.

In Endocrinologist Dr. Robert Lustig's book " “Metabolical: The Lure and the Lies of Processed Food, Nutrition, and Modern Medicine” he estimates that only 7% of Americans are considered metabolically healthy, while the other 93% are suffering from some sort of diagnosable metabolic dysfunction. A recent study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism by researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham found that nearly 40 percent of young adults without diabetes experience insulin resistance, where the body does not respond correctly to insulin and is unable to use glucose from the blood for energy. According to that study the “Presence of insulin resistance is thought to be a precursor to development of diabetes and potentially fatal cardiovascular events such as heart attack, stroke and cardiac death”.

So, that is my focus -- to avoid these issues (I do not have them currently). You know, the ounce of prevention ...

At one point in my life I was a huge advocate of eating four to six small meals per day. The then-prevailing thought was that doing so kept insulin at a certain level, avoiding dramatic spikes. Much of that was espoused in Rob Fagin's book "Natural Hormonal Enhancement". He also had a book called "Hormonally Intelligent Exercise" that (IIRC) were based on these same concepts.

Today, a good deal of contemporary studies discuss the benefits of calendar-restricted eating, which many people refer to as intermittent fasting, frequently on an 18/6 schedule, and limiting carbs and sugars. I have been following this with pretty terrific results. This usually entails one or two meals per day (I suppose that is what I meant by referring to "fewer" meals) within the 6 hour feeding window. In theory, fewer meals might result in less insulin release and a more favorable reaction to insulin when it is released. I should add that I have eliminated all added sugar and processed foods (almost entirely).

My goal is to control inflammation and its associated negative impact on endothelial health, and to maintain low body-fat. so, this was the basis for my question. And yes, I agree, controlling blood glucose levels are (at least for me) a key part of this.

Now, this approach probably not optimal from a maximum strength gain and workout recovery perspective. But, it works for me - give what I am seeking to accomplish -- and I realize that whatever works for me may not be optimal for others.

Last edited:

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Got it.

Metabolic syndrome/disorder and insulin resistance are very, very common in the US. It is argued that most of that stems from frequent consumption of sugar and highly processed food. Being significantly overweight and having a large amount of abdominal fat), an inactive lifestyle, and a diet high in carbohydrates are the primary causes of insulin resistance. Some argue that frequent eating and snacking play a role as well. Metabolic syndrome/disorder/insulin resistance/diabetes/inflammation has skyrocketed since the 1970s/1980s when grain based and highly processed foods (much of which is LOADED with added sugar) became the norm. The studies are very conclusive in that regard.

In Endocrinologist Dr. Robert Lustig's book " “Metabolical: The Lure and the Lies of Processed Food, Nutrition, and Modern Medicine” he estimates that only 7% of Americans are considered metabolically healthy, while the other 93% are suffering from some sort of diagnosable metabolic dysfunction. A recent study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism by researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham found that nearly 40 percent of young adults without diabetes experience insulin resistance, where the body does not respond correctly to insulin and is unable to use glucose from the blood for energy. According to that study the “Presence of insulin resistance is thought to be a precursor to development of diabetes and potentially fatal cardiovascular events such as heart attack, stroke and cardiac death”.

So, that is my focus -- to avoid these issues (I do not have them currently). You know, the ounce of prevention ...

At one point in my life I was a huge advocate of eating four to six small meals per day. The then-prevailing thought was that doing so kept insulin at a certain level, avoiding dramatic spikes. Much of that was espoused in Rob Fagin's book "Natural Hormonal Enhancement". He also had a book called "Hormonally Intelligent Exercise" that (IIRC) were based on these same concepts.

Today, a good deal of contemporary studies discuss the benefits of calendar-restricted eating, which many people refer to as intermittent fasting, frequently on an 18/6 schedule, and limiting carbs and sugars. I have been following this with pretty terrific results. This usually entails one or two meals per day (I suppose that is what I meant by referring to "fewer" meals) within the 6 hour feeding window. In theory, fewer meals might result in less insulin release and a more favorable reaction to insulin when it is released. I should add that I have eliminated all added sugar and processed foods (almost entirely).

My goal is to control inflammation and its associated negative impact on endothelial health, and to maintain low body-fat. so, this was the basis for my question. And yes, I agree, controlling blood glucose levels are (at least for me) a key part of this.

Now, this approach probably not optimal from a maximum strength gain and workout recovery perspective. But, it works for me - give what I am seeking to accomplish -- and I realize that whatever works for me may not be optimal for others.
I am exhausted (literally about to go pass out), but you mean well so I'll briefly address some of this and come back later if I remember.

I think it is commendable that you've taken the steps to move yourself in the right direction and with that the digging into trying to understand these things is also helpful for some people. It is also probably important (as you noted yourself) to look at it from the perspective that health and performance aren't always synonymous.

I started typing some stuff up, but honestly I just feel I am going to come off rude, so decided not to write much at all.

I can't take Lustig seriously, he is the fructose is the devil guy. We won't be able to see eye to eye if that is the kind of source you are using, because frankly he seems lost to me.

I also don't want to clutter this thread. If anyone is actually interested in learning more about insulin this article (insulin an undeserved bad reputation) will answer it more in depth than I care to get into right now.

I wish you continued good luck in your journey and I don't mean this as a personal attack (so don't take it that way please).

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I am exhausted (literally about to go pass out), but you mean well so I'll briefly address some of this and come back later if I remember.

I think it is commendable that you've taken the steps to move yourself in the right direction and with that the digging into trying to understand these things is also helpful for some people. It is also probably important (as you noted yourself) to look at it from the perspective that health and performance aren't always synonymous.

I started typing some stuff up, but honestly I just feel I am going to come off rude, so decided not to write much at all.

I can't take Lustig seriously, he is the fructose is the devil guy. We won't be able to see eye to eye if that is the kind of source you are using, because frankly he seems lost to me.

I also don't want to clutter this thread. If anyone is actually interested in learning more about insulin this article (insulin an undeserved bad reputation) will answer it more in depth than I care to get into right now.

I wish you continued good luck in your journey and I don't mean this as a personal attack (so don't take it that way please).
Oh heck, you would have to try a lot harder to come across as a personal attack. I am old enough to accept that well intended people can (and should) have differing views on things without taking it personally.

Last edited: