What is Your Target Number of Calories Burned During Cardio?

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
When I started doing cardio again this year I began with a simple 400 calories burned target….. Now that I can row my ass off for 90 mins and/or run for miles I am up to never burning less than 800 a day….. But often times it ends up being over 1000.

How about y’all? What’s your minimum you accept?

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I never really tracked the cals TBH. I never put much faith in the estimates the machines were giving me and I never used any of the newer devices that track such metrics. I was always a time tracker vs calories. Now I am doing time/distance. I also don't track cals directly but I do eat the same each day and weight everything so I can add/reduce accurately when needed.

Back in the day 10cals/min was a target for me.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I haven't done cardio in a month or two now but LISS target was typically 300 cals on the dot when cutting.
That would take between 20-40 minutes depending on if I pushed some intervals in but typically it was a half hour of incline walking while studying spanish on my phone tbh

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I haven't done cardio in a month or two now but LISS target was typically 300 cals on the dot when cutting.
That would take between 20-40 minutes depending on if I pushed some intervals in but typically it was a half hour of incline walking while studying spanish on my phone tbh
Gringo essay!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't usually approach my "cardio" with goals on burning calories per se. Typically I do cardio at specific time frames and/or intensities in hopes of eliciting specific adaptions.

I was going to say I usually only use calorie measures as part of short duration efforts or during circuits, but I do have some "longer" sets of 250 over the next few weeks.

I tend to track watts, duration, and distances on various devices based on what is appropriate (as different paces alter these at different linear and exponential rates). Calorie calculations on various machines tend to take too many assumptions (so therefore aren't accurate for actual caloric amounts burned or between different devices and therefore directly tracking work like watts in those situations seems more appropriate for my uses), but as with most things as long as the goals seem appropriate and the situation is standardized (same machine/device) is used to track progress I think it should be a fine way to measure that progress.