Help With Weight Loss/Carb Question

buck47

buck47

Awards
Hello Everyone,

Like many people I've read these boards for about a year and this is my first post. I couldn't find answers to some of my questions so here they are.

I'm 6'1 232 (as of 4pm EDT post cardio workout), 12%BF, about right in the middle of Meso-endomorph (about right in the middle of the two)

I'm trying to cut down a bit and I'm using the cutting method of
40% Protein/ 40% Fat/ 20% Carbs (breakdown of cals)

But I cant find much on what my target carbs per day should be. I've heard around 50-100g. Should I go lower than that?

Here's what I've been doing to cut the weight. I'd very much appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

Supps (all of these are per day)

Multivitamin- (2 per day, 1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon)
Green Tea (Pill Form) -189mg of Polyphenols (per day)
Hoodia (Is in the Green Tea Pill)- 100mg (per day)
b6- 100mg (1 in the morning 1 before bed)
b12- 500 mcg
Zinc- 50mg before bed
Fish Oil- 6 grams per day (3 when i wake up, 3 before bed, (1.8g omega 3s Total))
L-Glutamine- 10g before bed
L-Arginine -2g before bed
Full Spectrum Amino Acid Pill (Superior Amino 2222 Tabs)- 4 Pills

Cardio Session of Workout

10 Min on rowing machine (10/10 resistance)
30 Min on cross trainer (10% Avg Grad averaging between 2-2.5 miles per session)
10 Min on stationary bike (10/20 resistance at a good pace avg 2.25 miles)

Thanks in Advance

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
50-100g carbs would be fine. The Anabolic Diet goes as low as 30g of carbs but it also includes a weekly carb-up. You can start at 100g and start cutting your carbs as the diet progress.

Cardio looks good, maybe throw in some high intensity stuff twice a week. What about your lifting routine?

As for your supps... You don't need to take two vitamins a day; it is a waste of money. The green tea pill is good if you want an anti-oxidant but will do little for fat loss at that dose. Those amino acid pills also look kinda crappy; when do you take them?

buck47

buck47

Awards
Thanks for the reply,

my normal lifting has been thrown off as i'm just getting off a shoulder injury from my athletic days in college. The last few years I was put through a regimen focusing on Olympic lifts, but it seems like I cannot do most of those outside of my collegiate weight room, and i'm not working out there anymore.
But, i've been mostly doing for the last few months or so:
Squat (get the test going), standing dumbbell curls, dumbbell press (inclined, flat, declined)-[cant get on the bench yet, still kills my shoulder], lat pull downs, leg extension leg curls,

I've been working down the weight on a lot of these from what I was doing during my 10 rep sets, increasing the number of reps to 20-30 per set, and increasing the pace at which im doing them.

i've also been doing my old collegiate ab exercise routine (toe touches, situps, crunches, etc)

I was given the amino acid pills, and i've been taking them after I workout (15-20 min after last rep).

I've been doing the cardio before lifting should I flip-flop that?

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Try the animos before the workout...and take like 20 of them, lol.

I like the increase in intensity by shortening the rest periods. But I wouldn't reduce the weight and increase the reps. If anything I'd increase the weight and lower the reps to like 6-8 (if your shoulder can handle it).

Cardio after lifting. I prefer to keep it light after a workout; keeping the pulse at like 65% of max. If you hard the right intensity levels with the weights, you should want to take a nap post-workout. If you feel ready to power through 50 min of cardio you probably didn't work out hard enough.

If you are at 12% bf, it is obviously working for you. But if it were me, I'd do that cardio routine on off days. Keep pulse at 120-130 for the first ten minutes, kick it up to 150-160 for your cross training session, then drop back to 120-130 bpm on the bike.

There are all sorts of fun ways to mix it up. Another would be 10 min HIIT on the erg, then the rest of the time keep it steady state.

bboyflash

Awards
just test 2 c wat u can operate on...diet 4 everyone is a hit or miss so play with it

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
But I cant find much on what my target carbs per day should be. I've heard around 50-100g. Should I go lower than that?
Useless information IMO. A target in grams is totally dependent on your stats and energy expenditure - just aim for target calories. You said that you have decided on 40%p/20%c/40%f so just figure out macro portions with that based on target calories.

buck47

buck47

Awards
Just an update on my progress.

Changed my diet alot from the 20%c 40%p 40%f.

To 10-20g carbs day, and mixing up when my carb up is weekely (doing a day and a half of the carb up period at 150g of carbs to keep my body guessing. Should i go more or less carb during a carb up period?

Going to carb up on sat-sun afternoon.

I've lost 13 pounds since i've changed the diet to the 10-20g range (I'm at 219 now as of 4pm est), my enegry level is way up, and my "snacking" urges are way down.

I've added CLA to my diet this week at about 5 grams per day.

Thinking about giving OEP a go...but it OEP's main strength from my reasearch on AM is that it seems to eliminate hunger, (which i've been able to control myself pretty well), and the fat burning is decent.

The other fat burner i've heard/read good things about is Lipo-6

any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, esp in regard to fat burners on low carb diets

thanks

Try the animos before the workout...and take like 20 of them, lol.

I like the increase in intensity by shortening the rest periods. But I wouldn't reduce the weight and increase the reps. If anything I'd increase the weight and lower the reps to like 6-8.

Took this advice on the weights its worked out great, thanks

Manko Oyaji

Awards
wow awesome progress. I need to get back on a real diet. I too like to personally do cardio on my off days. However, If the work week doesn't allow me too Ill have to adjust my routine and scheduling.

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
are you trying to maintain muscle at all? Because if you arfe 10-20 g's of carbs.....its likely your loosing muscle along with fat....however if u dont give a damn about muscle that low of carbs is fine....Personally this is my diet when it comes to carbs- day 1- 125g's day 2 125g's day 3- 150g's day 4 150g's day 5 350-450 g's (Recarb) Repeat. Cardio 6-7 days a week AFTER wieght lifting....and on off days (once a week) 100g's of carbs....just my two cents

Manko Oyaji

Awards
I was under the impression that when you cut carbs to maximum 20 grams it was to ensure you can eventually get in to ketosis and ketones are muscle sparring. I've used it to get my bodyfat and keep strength and muscle.