Fruit in cutting diet

michaelr7170

Awards
Hey guys just curious if fruit should be in my cutting diet.. I've heard yes and I've heard no.. I've always liked to have a mixed fruit smoothie (bag of frozen pineapple, peaches, honey dew melon, cantalope, grapes, strawberries) post workout but I'm wondering if i should cut this out of my cutting diet.. It's the only time I'm eating fruit in this diet so I can't see it doing much harm.. Hopefully someone has more knowledge of this and can help.. Thanks!

Parrrish

Awards
"It's a personal decision. I don't keep track of macros at all and eat 5-10 pieces of fruit a day (at least 2 bananas). My philosophy is to simply eat whole, clean, natural foods and workout like a beast.
Yes fruit has natural sugar, but most also have a lot of fiber which slows the absorbtion. It's splitting hairs really, and I couldn't care less about the whole GI/fruit/carb hysteria that exists within the fitness community these days. Anything can be overdone, but fruit is one thing that it will be extremely hard to overdo...... unless you are a slave to macro ratios, which I think are absolutely ridiculous"

Could be wrong.

Parrrish

Awards
But I've also heard to stay away from bananas....nutritionally speaking when it comes to cutting, they are the devil. They are a natural source of dextrose, so it's not really a good idea to eat them when trying to lose fat. That's ridiculous. If one is going to be anal about it, they could simply have a banana PRE or PWO.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Phil hernon has his clients eat a ton of fruit... i just started 3 pieces a day

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But I've also heard to stay away from bananas....nutritionally speaking when it comes to cutting, they are the devil. They are a natural source of dextrose, so it's not really a good idea to eat them when trying to lose fat. That's ridiculous. If one is going to be anal about it, they could simply have a banana PRE or PWO.
its like anything else, its about amounts. That is so totally overblown on poor bananas. Heres the real scoop on a small banana (100g)

Total Carbohydrate 23.1g

Dietary Fiber 2.6g
Starch 5.4g
Sugars 12.4g
Sucrose 2414mg
Glucose 5029mg
Fructose 4898mg
Lactose 0.0mg
Maltose 10.1mg
Galactose 0.0mg

so woo 2g of sucrose and 5g of glucose? big deal. even when cutting, so long as that is eaten with other foods it won't cause all that much of an insulin spike.

Parrrish

Awards
its like anything else, its about amounts. That is so totally overblown on poor bananas. Heres the real scoop on a small banana (100g)

Total Carbohydrate 23.1g

Dietary Fiber 2.6g
Starch 5.4g
Sugars 12.4g
Sucrose 2414mg
Glucose 5029mg
Fructose 4898mg
Lactose 0.0mg
Maltose 10.1mg
Galactose 0.0mg

so woo 2g of sucrose and 5g of glucose? big deal. even when cutting, so long as that is eaten with other foods it won't cause all that much of an insulin spike.
I guess you learn something new everday, thanks!

Parrrish

Awards
Grapes, bananas, melons are the worst while cutting. Better choices of fruit are apples, pears, peaches, berries, citrus.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
I would say it depends on your diet before you started cutting. If you were eating junk, simply replacing that junk with say an apple, or a pear would be crutial in cutting, not to mention the health benefits. I always say you can't go wrong with fruits and vegetables, regardless of trying to cut or bulk. IMO.

UKStrength

Grapes, bananas, melons are the worst while cutting. Better choices of fruit are apples, pears, peaches, berries, citrus.
Why? Let's not start the 'fructose' debate again, it's getting old.

Fruit is absolutely fine when cutting, an excellent source of dietary fibre, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, I have most of my client's carbohydrate intake come from fruits and vegetables.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Benefits:
Alkalinity
Anti-oxidants
Electrolytes
Fiber

Risks:
??

Having several servings of fruit is not going to make or break a cut. Eating fruit will help to keep your liver glycogen levels up, which can lessen the lethargy from cutting. Eating 1-2 sevings at breakfast and pre/post WO is absolutely fine.

UKStrength

Eating some dirt because you've not washed it???

Honestly I think the nutrition world went a bit nuts the day when so called 'gurus' started cutting back on people's fruit intake, most people eat a pitiful amount of fibre anyway and now you want to cut out an excellent source??!?!?

michaelr7170

Awards
yeah i wasn't sure of the effect fruit had while trying to lose weight.. I will never take it out of my diet regardless but my main concern was the amount and timing of fruit consumption while trying to lose BF.. thanks for the feedback guys

ftp

Awards
interesting.. I always heard and read food is detrimental to ones cutting diet.. I never fully believed it.. shows you how full of **** 99% of what SOME people on the forums say.. YES there is some good even great info, but there is SOOOO much falsehoods that spread like wild fire on all these forums.. no offense but guys who are 6'2 and 165 shouldnt ever post ****.. thats how bullshit spreads... whatever.. go fruits I guess!

itzgambino

Awards
It depends what type of diet you are on I would say, if your follow a low carb or anabolic diet plan I would stay away from it and only eat fruit on loading days. If you are not carb restricted keep your fruit intake during the morning because sugar from fruit I believe only fills up in your liver and once it is filled the rest is wasteful.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, fructose attempts to fill liver glycogen first. Whats interesting (and important) about that is that liver glycogen levels do a stronger signaling to kick a person out of ketosis. So if you are on a ketogenic diet, it is better to avoid fructose.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
AVOID FRUIT.... EAT BIG MACS - THEY ARE LOADED WITH PROTEIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
you know what, one of my friends lost 75lbs in a month.... his secret was not eating, the guy wouldn't eat anything but maybe a piece of beef jerky and would down energy drinks all day......

so I guess it all just depends on what you want.... do you want a healthy cut, which you need to eat fruits, or do you want to be unhealthy and lose weight... either way its your call.... but they both work!!

michaelr7170

Awards
thanks for the feedback guys.. I heard many different opinions on fruit before so i thought I'd see what you guys had to say.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
Typically when I cut the only carbs I include are fruits and veggies.

RyanOFelt

Awards
I remember reading about a diet program called "get big on bananas". The guy who wrote it is a nutrition expert, and claims that by eating a diet super high in fruit, you can have an insane recomp. He believes that people should eat twice as many calories from fruit than from protein sources a day. He claims to have lost 10 pounds of fat, gained 8 pounds of lbm, and have a general increase in good health, all while eating at least 26 servings of fruit every day. It's important to note that he only ate fresh fruit, though. Frozen is not as good, and canned is even worse.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
interesting.. I always heard and read food is detrimental to ones cutting diet.. I never fully believed it.. shows you how full of **** 99% of what SOME people on the forums say.. YES there is some good even great info, but there is SOOOO much falsehoods that spread like wild fire on all these forums.. no offense but guys who are 6'2 and 165 shouldnt ever post ****.. thats how bullshit spreads... whatever.. go fruits I guess!
Also why I only come here for fun... this board is great entertainment and all but the few members who are awesome don't post hardly as much as the people who are spouting re-hashed **** they have never tested or tried themselves.

I can go over to another board and me a newb who gets his ass handed to him and THAT is where you learn, on the boards that stretch your current understanding level. Always stay one step ahead of yourself.

GuyinLA

Awards
If you subscribe to Barry Sears' Zone diet, carb choices should be low glycemic. Most fruits and vegetables are low glycemic carbs. Bananas are a higher glycemic fruit vs. most other fruits.