My 40/40/20 Bulking Diet

LIFTER23

Awards
I weigh 172lbs. Any suggestions or tweaks?

9:30am 50g Whey Protien
3/4 cup Plain Oatmeal w/ Splenda, cinnamon

12:30 1 Chicken Breast
2 small red potatoes(light vinegar to lower GI)

3:30 1 Chicken Breast

5:30 50g Whey Protien
PreWorkout 3/4 cup Plain Oatmeal w/ Splenda, cinnamon

6:30
PostWorkout 50g Whey Protien
Powerade(46g carbs, maltodextrin)
6:45
Post Meal 1------ 1/2 Portion Grilled Chicken and Brown Rice

7:45 1 scoop Whey Protien, 2 bananas

8:45 1 heaping scoop Whey
Post Meal 2 ------ Other 1/2 Protion Chicken and Rice+ 1 scoop
whey protien

11:00 1 scoop whey mixed in 8 oz. of milk

Totals: 335-340g protien
335-340g carbs
75g fat

Calories: 3355-3400

bellicose

Banned
Awards
i don't like it one bit. More fat, less protein, less carbs
That is my suggestion, and that is also coming from somone who is an ecto

LIFTER23

Awards
i don't like it one bit. More fat, less protein, less carbs
That is my suggestion, and that is also coming from somone who is an ecto
ITs a typical 40/40/20 diet, whats wrong with that?

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
I weigh 172lbs. Any suggestions or tweaks?

9:30am 50g Whey Protien
3/4 cup Plain Oatmeal w/ Splenda, cinnamon
I'd eat some eggs or cottage cheese & less whey.

12:30 1 Chicken Breast

3:30 1 Chicken Breast
Throw in some brocolli or other fiberous veggi.

5:30 50g Whey Protien
PreWorkout 3/4 cup Plain Oatmeal w/ Splenda, cinnamon

6:30
PostWorkout 50g Whey Protien
Powerade(46g carbs, maltodextrin)
6:45
Post Meal 1------ 1/2 Portion Grilled Chicken and Brown Rice

7:45 1 scoop Whey Protien, 2 bananas
I'd replace this meal with real food, no whey.

8:45 1 heaping scoop Whey
Post Meal 2 ------ Other 1/2 Protion Chicken and Rice+ 1 scoop
whey protien
Leave the whey out.

11:00 1 scoop whey mixed in 8 oz. of milk
Replace whey with cottage cheese.

Totals: 335-340g protien
335-340g carbs
75g fat

Calories: 3355-3400
IMO you're overdoing it with the whey. Try to eat more fiber and real food and reserve whey for breakfast and post wo. Also, I'd favor a 35P/45C/20F ratio myself. 40/40/20 seems more like a cutting diet to me.

bellicose

Banned
Awards
For being 176lbs you are being wayyyyyyyyyyy to anal about your diet.
Here's my advice:
Go pick up some N-large. Have two servings per day, one when you wake up and one post workout. Then add in 4 meals between that, each with 2 servings of carbs and one serving of protein. If you don't gain weight from this, then add some nuts during the day.
Calories in=calories out

Gaining weight is so easy and most people just overthink it.

LIFTER23

Awards
Here's my advice:
Go pick up some N-large. Have two servings per day, one when you wake up and one post workout. Then add in 4 meals between that, each with 2 servings of carbs and one serving of protein. If you don't gain weight from this, then add some nuts during the day.
Calories in=calories out

Gaining weight is not easy for me. When I started working out I weighed 135lbs. You can never be too anal about your diet. The people that are anal about their diet are the ones that make the best progress.

Oh yeah, im only about 5 foot 7 and 3/4 inches. You guys are probably imagining some skinny lurpy 170lber, but for my heigth, I have a pretty solid build.

LIFTER23

Awards
IMO you're overdoing it with the whey. Try to eat more fiber and real food and reserve whey for breakfast and post wo. Also, I'd favor a 35P/45C/20F ratio myself. 40/40/20 seems more like a cutting diet to me.
Well, in reality, Im only taking in 4 protien shakes a day. The only one I think I should get rid of is the last one of the day before going to bed. I take it with milk to slow down absorbtion, but I do feel there is a better choice out there. I feel I take in plenty of real food IMO. 3 whole chicken breasts a day, 4 red potatoes, 2 banans, 1.5 cups of oatmeal, 66g of carbs coming from brown rice alone.

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
Here's my advice:
Calories in=calories out

I have to disagre with the N Large II. It's OK but loaded with dextrose.

LIFTER23

Awards
Ok, I am going to replace my morning whey shake with 6 whole scrambled eggs.

bellicose

Banned
Awards
Gaining weight is not easy for me. When I started working out I weighed 135lbs. You can never be too anal about your diet. The people that are anal about their diet are the ones that make the best progress.

Oh yeah, im only about 5 foot 7 and 3/4 inches. You guys are probably imagining some skinny lurpy 170lber, but for my heigth, I have a pretty solid build.
Dude, don't tell me about progress, i was 110 lbs when i started lifting. And that was at 5'10"
Now i tip the scales at around 235lbs and that wasn't really too long ago.

All i'm trying to say is that your diet resembles a dieting bodybuilder. Gaining quality weights requires red meat, dairy products, and a whole lot of starches. Just some food for thought.

bellicose

Banned
Awards
Ok, I am going to replace my morning whey shake with 6 whole scrambled eggs.
HELL YA!! That's what i'm talking about!!

Every morning i have 5 whole eggs, 3 pieces bacon, and a bagel smothered in cream cheese. Does a body good.

LIFTER23

Awards
Dude, don't tell me about progress, i was 110 lbs when i started lifting. And that was at 5'10"
Now i tip the scales at around 235lbs and that wasn't really too long ago.

All i'm trying to say is that your diet resembles a dieting bodybuilder. Gaining quality weights requires red meat, dairy products, and a whole lot of starches. Just some food for thought.
I think you are right about gaining weight to some extent. But I dont want to gain weight just for the sake of gaining weightl. I am clean bulking, trying to avoid too much excess body fat, I try to avoid starchy food, keep fat intake relatively low. Eat low GI carbs for most of the day except post workout.

And as far as mny diet resembling a dieting bodybuilder, I dont know any dieting bodybuilders that take in 20 times their weight in calories. Maybe you are looking more at my food intake and not enough at my macronutrient and calorie breakdown.

bellicose

Banned
Awards
on 3500 calories a day, i'd be losing weight at a fast pase.
Gaining for me means about 5500 calories per day

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
LIFTER- The guy is trying to Give you Advice. Just Listen dont Argue.

Theres a Reason hes 235.

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
Since you're lean bulking, have you considered replacing the red potatoes with sweet potatoes?

If you're not gaining after a week or two, I'd recommend upping the low GI carbs while holding the fats and protein as is.

~Todd

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
HELL YA!! That's what i'm talking about!!

Every morning i have 5 whole eggs, 3 pieces bacon, and a bagel smothered in cream cheese. Does a body good.
Does a FAT body good. I weigh 252, I use a 40/40/20 diet myself. 4500 cals/day. You gonna tell me I don't know what I'm doing. This kind of advice leads people to get fat. Ectos have a harder time gaining weight, and some should resort to eating some shitty food. Him eating clean is a good choice. Don't try to get people into horseshit eating habits.

LIFTER23

Awards

Theres a Reason hes 235.

Uh, hes 235 and taking in 5500 calories, thats about 20 X his bodyweight, same as Im doing, hes just going a different route. Thats why I labeled this thread 40/40/20

bellicose

Banned
Awards

Theres a Reason hes 235.
LOL...its like the little guy at the gym giving me advice on my squatting technique..,"Don't do squats, those are bad for your knees!"
Or when i do partials,"You'll grow better if you come all the way down"

Seriously though, there is a reason why i'm 235lbs and its cause i experimented and found out what worked best for my body, and i'm trying to save you the trouble of doing that experimenting.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
" Every morning i have 5 whole eggs, 3 pieces bacon, and a bagel smothered in cream cheese. Does a body good."

That is the worst advice for a diet (even bulking) that I've seen. This is a lifetmime sport, not just a "look good for spring break" bullshit. Taking in that much saturated fat with carbohydrates is the worst you can do for your body and health overall. There is difference between getting big, and looking like a bodybuilder. WIth that recommendation he will be dying at the age of 40 looking like a tub of lard.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here's some easy steps to increase calories (quality). These are some of my favorite items so hopefully you like them as well.

Dinty Moore Turkey Chile (99% fat free) 30g carbs, 20g protein
Hormel Turkey Chile (99% fat free) 54g Carbs 34g Protein
Canned Chicken 50g protein! Swanson barnd or local brand (its all the same)

Best thing to do is take some of that canned chicken and throw it in the Turkey Stew and BAM, instant qulaity calories.

I eat this stuff all the time. Just two ago they had a sale on Chile (10 for $10). As long as you get your prtein and carb requirements, the fat content in those foods usually adds up and will supply you enough. If not, add a couple tablespoons of flax or canola to your shakes and you will be fine. Don't let anyone tell you your being anal about your diet. That is what this sport requires if you want to look better than 99% of BB'ers out there. If you do it, do it 100%.

bellicose

Banned
Awards
" Every morning i have 5 whole eggs, 3 pieces bacon, and a bagel smothered in cream cheese. Does a body good."

That is the worst advice for a diet (even bulking) that I've seen. This is a lifetmime sport, not just a "look good for spring break" bullshit. Taking in that much saturated fat with carbohydrates is the worst you can do for your body and health overall. There is difference between getting big, and looking like a bodybuilder. WIth that recommendation he will be dying at the age of 40 looking like a tub of lard.
We'll see bobo, being an extreme ecto it is very hard to consume a clean bulking diet that has 5500 calories in it.
I get better results(strength,size) from a high fat diet anyway.

And for the record i'm not a bodybuilder. I'm a powerlifter, and i'm not "fat" and never will let myself. I eat like that every morning and maintain my 12%bf

I'm just tired of little guys being so anal about fat in their diet and then complaining about now being able to get big.

I tried to attach a pic to show how my crappy diet has turned my body into a disgusting wasteland.

Last edited:

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
We'll see bobo, being an extreme ecto it is very hard to consume a clean bulking diet that has 5500 calories in it.

And for the record i'm not a bodybuilder. I'm a powerlifter, and i'm not "fat" and never will let myself. I eat like that every morning and maintain my 12%bf

I'm just tired of little guys being so anal about fat in their diet and then complaining about now being able to get big.

I tried to attach a pic to show how my crappy diet has turned my body into a disgusting wasteland.
Terrific, works for you. Don't come in here and suggest that type of eating. Just unhealthy.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
Think about it the guy comes here asking for Advice and someone Gives Some about What Worked for him and gets jumped all over for It.

bellicose

Banned
Awards
Think about it the guy comes here asking for Advice and someone Gives Some about What Worked for him and gets jumped all over for It.
Ahhhh, finally a sane person has arrived. Thank you for seeing things the way i do. Its frustrating when people don't even consider what you are trying to say. I wish someone would have yelled the same bulking info at me when i started training.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
JUST BULK UP!!

I was all about The "Lean Bulk" when i first Started. Made Minimal Gains and was Mad because all the guys i knew were Just EATING!!! Here i am Counting Every Calorie and these guys are just EATING!! and Gaining Mad Muscle!!!!! They said:

"Well Bulk Up now and then Cut Later."

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dude, the guy asked for freaking advice!!!!! He wanted to know how to bulk and i told him how i do it. Do i look unhealthy to you? Are you guys smoking crack today or something? My diet is high in fat and i think i have a very nice body, and so do the ladies(had to add that)

You guys are killing me...i guess i'll just keep my knowledge to myself and keep on gaining.

Your 19yrs old and don't know **** when it comes to a healthy lifestyle for the longterm. Your still a teenager. I was ecto just like you and when your metabolism catches up with you wiht age you WILL see. This is the Nutrition section for BODYBUILDERS. At 19 I could eat anything and everything. When you get older you will learn that your advice is unhealthy and resembles the diet of a 19yr old metabolism, and someonie that thinks they know whats best BECAUSE your 19. I know what your your point is. Eat like horse. Is that the best you have? You could easily replace those **** and empty calories with something that will actually benefit you while at the saem time not hurting you. This board is based on advaced thought and taking it to the next level. We don't subscribe to meathead logic and lazy thought. We want the best advice possible for a bodybuilder, not "eat everything, you'll get big".

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
JUST BULK UP!!

I was all about The "Lean Bulk" when i first Started. Made Minimal Gains and was Mad because all the guys i knew were Just EATING!!! Here i am Counting Every Calorie and these guys are just EATING!! and Gaining Mad Muscle!!!!! They said:

"Well Bulk Up now and then Cut Later."
I dont subscribe to what "they say". I do it the smart way.

Eat smart and your cutting cycle is that much smaller and much more productive. THe smart ones stay at 10% bf year round.

Eating bacon and eggs and shitty carbohydrates is a sure way to get fat in the longrun. Only young teenagers with flying metaboisms thing they are indestrcutable until they learn later in life.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Since when can you see clogged arteries and shitty cholesterol profiles, not to mention the additive effects of steroid use.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Then maybe you should reconsider and you'll maintain a lower bf%. But then again your not a bodybuilder so you don't care.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The people that are anal about their diet are the ones that make the best progress.
Exactly. You have the right attitude.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
Dont get me wrong Im Anal about My Diet, I just feel that to Get Big you have to "Eat Big" not UnHealthy just Alot of Clean Foods.

Are Those Pics you Bobo?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I Cut to 6% and Bulk to the Upper 9's.

Then you've found what works for you at age 22. Generally recommeding bacon and eggs along with a High GI source of carbs (bagel) everyday isn't the healthiest and wisest choice and can be easily substituted with better choices.

Maybe some of you haven't read up too much on how saturated fat can be detrimental to muscle growth.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dont get me wrong Im Anal about My Diet, I just feel that to Get Big you have to "Eat Big" not UnHealthy just Alot of Clean Foods.

Are Those Pics you Bobo?

Then I agree with you 100%. Yes that is me.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Wildman, I ate cake, cookies and coke and gained 60lbs, that's what worked for me. Point is, someone was looking for advice, and someone else gave him BAD advice. While it may work for him(and some others) who are metabolically gifted. For otheres, it will turn them into a big, fat turd. 40/40/20 is great for bulking using lean protein and low GI carbs along with healthy fats. Bellicose, you were warned. Sense of humor does not apply. Telling another member or mod to **** off will not fly. Advocating a high fat diet along with carbs is just plain ignorant. A high fat diet for cutting(CKD) is often advised.

bellicose

Banned
Awards
Wildman, I ate cake, cookies and coke and gained 60lbs, that's what worked for me. Point is, someone was looking for advice, and someone else gave him BAD advice. While it may work for him(and some others) who are metabolically gifted. For otheres, it will turn them into a big, fat turd. 40/40/20 is great for bulking using lean protein and low GI carbs along with healthy fats. Bellicose, you were warned. Sense of humor does not apply. Telling another member or mod to **** off will not fly. Advocating a high fat diet along with carbs is just plain ignorant. A high fat diet for cutting(CKD) is often advised.
My advice is not bad, it is just what worked for me. Once again you can't say its ignorant because it works just fine for me.
However, i will cut the sarcasm since it seems like it can't be taken.
However, its funny how bobo seems to know it all, tell me my ideas or total ****, and yet i think that even as a powerlifter i still have a better body than him. Just funny that's all, you be the judge.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you even hit the 200lb mark yet? I'm 236 at about 8%, what are you again? Not only is your advice complete bullshit and resembles a teenager withouth a clue, your also dilusional.

bellicose

Banned
Awards
I will stop posting dilusional comments. I'm in need of help.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought you said you were 12%? You making **** up now? It doesn't matter because with you attitude and telling scotty to **** off, your history. Start eating because you aren't 230. By the look of you from your waist barely being the height of the friggin doorknob, your about 190. Moron.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Everyone compare. The little teenager thinks he's something.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It doens't take a gneius to figure out your not even close to me.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its a totally different pose you idiot. Here's my back, try comparing, i bet you won't
If its anything like the rest of you, there isn't anything to compare. Your not even close. And for telling scotty to **** off, and telling me I'm an idiot, you bought yourself a ticket out of here.

Love those teenies...

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
LoL I love it when guys translate ripped into big..... NOT

ManBeast

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't even think he's that ripped. I don't see any vascularity at all. I mean I'm bulking and you can still see some coming out of my shouders and arms. He has a good frame but I don't think he's even close to me. I not anythin special but if wants to toot his horn over those pics, he's nuts.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Dude said he was 230, HA!! To me, it looks as though he isn't a feather over 185. Someone should tell him that 230 doesn't include the masssive weight of his thick skull. What a tool.......

Show some respect, and lay-off the happy meals brutha.

anabolqw

Banned
Awards
From bellicose:

I'm sorry to all that i offended and have learned a serious lesson. Don't mess with the mods.
In all seriousness, i am what i say and do what i say. I do not lie. I am 230lbs and most of that is in my legs which would account for why i enjoy strongman competition.
I came here to learn about prohormones and i would love to stay and continue learning and i promise i'll stay out of the "bodybuilding" boards. It might be a lost cause, but i'm here to humbly ask to be reinstated.