Modified CKD for normal people

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
I read "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald prior to configuring my own diet, and what bothered me most was the fact that the CKD is mainly intended for athletes and hardcore bodybuilders.

One might think then, that the SKD or the TKD are more applicable to normal folks, but that's not the case.

On the SKD, one never has a carb-up period, meaning one won't have enough energy to lift moderately and say, play basketball 2-3 times a week.

On the TKD, one could exercise moderately, but would never enjoy the psychological and tasteful benefit of eating pizza and sandwiches on the weekends.

On the CKD, one can have enough energy and enjoy the carb-up, but if one is not a hardcore lifter (and only does one exercise per body part at 3 sets of 10, like me) the carb-up would be overkill, since one wouldn't be able to completely deplete muscle glycogen, leading to the end of Ketosis.

Keeping all that in mind, and the fact that L. McDonald says that one can modify the diet to suit one's goals, I came up with this modified CKD:

Daily Carb Intake:

Up to a maximum of 30g, preferably prior to work-out.

Fat Intake:

Same as CKD

Protein Intake:

minimum 150g, unless 30g of carbs are consumed; then a minimum of 130g

Carb-Up Period (24-36 hours):

Half of the carb grams with a regular CKD

In my case, 874g/2: 437g

-------------------------------------------------------

I started this diet on Monday, January 5, and will update my progress at least once a week.

Starting #s:

Monday, Jan. 5

192.4 lbs
20% BF
Lean Mass: 152 lbs
Maintenance Calories: 2880
Going for: 1880 (about 2 lbs per week)
Protein: 150g
Fat: 130g
Carbs: 0-30g

For reference, although I'm starting this diet today, I have been losing weight for a while now using other methods. I started at 220 lbs, so I've lost about 28 lbs so far.

Here's the before and after, not counting this diet:

Before:

After:

I know I still have many miles to go, which is why I started this modified CKD, but at least I can take off my shirt at the beach already.:thumbsup:

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Finally hit 50 posts, so I edited the first post to include pics.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
Subbed! Good luck with your modified CKD!

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Good luck, good progress.

One thing I will say about lyle mcdonalds CKD is that it's for people that don't know their body well enough. You'll get to recognize the physical and visual cues of over eating during a carb up.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Subbed! Good luck with your modified CKD!

I subbed yours too, good luck as well, and be careful with over-consumption, I see you've had a few instances of too many cals.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Good luck, good progress.

One thing I will say about lyle mcdonalds CKD is that it's for people that don't know their body well enough. You'll get to recognize the physical and visual cues of over eating during a carb up.

I haven't had a carb-up yet, but I hope I can recognize cues fairly quickly.

I think I have started to recognize ketosis' cues though. My mouth tastes like blood or metal, my usual in-between-normal-and-ketosis-headache dissappears and my hunger completely vanishes.

One problem I see with the hunger, especially, is that I find it extremely hard to consume even 1000 calories less than my 2850 maintenance cals. I usually get to 2000 before bed, but it's a battle to get there.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
I need some help:

Question for those who've done the CKD; Did you have to force yourself to eat? I find that I have lost almost all of my appetite and get nauseous when I force myself to eat.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
I need some help:

Question for those who've done the CKD; Did you have to force yourself to eat? I find that I have lost almost all of my appetite and get nauseous when I force myself to eat.
Yes, when my are calories are ~maintenance, I don't really get very hungry. I think it may have something to do with insulin spikes. When calories are below maintenance I definitely get hungry however.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Yes, when my are calories are ~maintenance, I don't really get very hungry. I think it may have something to do with insulin spikes. When calories are below maintenance I definitely get hungry however.

Interesting. My calories are about 700 below maintenance, yet I still feel, not full, but satisfied all day long.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. My calories are about 700 below maintenance, yet I still feel, not full, but satisfied all day long.
It's because your body is transitioning to fat as the main source of energy. Fat takes longer to digest, therefore you feel full/satisfied longer. Wait until you hit the carb-up, you will eat a huge meal and feel hungry again within 1-2 hours! It felt like I was constantly hungry on my carbup days

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
I subbed yours too, good luck as well, and be careful with over-consumption, I see you've had a few instances of too many cals.
Thx bro, I appreciate it! Ya, about that...I'm starting to get it under control, haha

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Here's my proposed carb-up, starting tomorrow at 3 p.m. (please feel free to critizice, but remember I'll be consuming half the carbs recommended for carb-up.

Carb-UP

Friday:

Breakfast:
- Low Carb

Lunch:
- Low Carb

3:00 p.m.
- 1 bottle of Gatorade
- 1 scoop Protein Milkshake with Soy Milk

6:00 p.m.
- 1 bottle of Gatorade

8:00 p.m.
- Exercise

9:00 p.m.
- 2 scoops Protein Shake with Water
- 1 piece of candy bar

10:30 p.m.

- Pancakes with Light Syrup
- 1 Banana
- Fruit Salad

Saturday:

10:00 a.m.
- Ham, egg and Cheese Sandwich

1:00 p.m.
- Oatmeal and Banana

- Fruit Salad
- Raisins
- 1 scoop Protein Shake with 1.5% Milk

3:30 p.m.
- Basketball until 6:30 p.m.

7:00 p.m.
- McDonald’s Combo or Pizza

10:00 p.m.
- Low Carb

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Here's my proposed carb-up, starting tomorrow at 3 p.m. (please feel free to critizice, but remember I'll be consuming half the carbs recommended for carb-up.

Carb-UP

Friday:

Breakfast:
- Low Carb

Lunch:
- Low Carb

- 1 bottle of Gatorade
- 1 scoop Protein Milkshake with Soy Milk

6:00 p.m.
- 1 bottle of Gatorade

8:00 p.m.
- Exercise

9:00 p.m.
- 2 scoops Protein Shake with Water
- 1 piece of candy bar

10:30 p.m.

- Pancakes with Light Syrup
- 1 Banana
- Fruit Salad

Saturday:

10:00 a.m.
- Ham, egg and Cheese Sandwich

1:00 p.m.
- Oatmeal and Banana

- Fruit Salad
- Raisins
- 1 scoop Protein Shake with 1.5% Milk

3:30 p.m.
- Basketball until 6:30 p.m.

7:00 p.m.
- McDonald’s Combo or Pizza

10:00 p.m.
- Low Carb

That's terrible. You don't want to drink the bottled gatorade. It's all HFCS, which, will only go towards filling your liver glycogen, and then spilling over into fat.

Also, your carbs should be healthy sources. Fries? With a whole bunch of cheese and grease? (Mcdonalds)

And then I see more fruit?

This is a setup for disaster.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
That's terrible. You don't want to drink the bottled gatorade. It's all HFCS, which, will only go towards filling your liver glycogen, and then spilling over into fat.

Also, your carbs should be healthy sources. Fries? With a whole bunch of cheese and grease? (Mcdonalds)

And then I see more fruit?

This is a setup for disaster.

According to L. McDonald, you want to fill your liver glycogen beginning 5 hours before your last workout, so the body can shift from a metabolic to an anabolic state, and he recommends a mix of glucose and fructose which bottled Gatorade contains.

As for fries, they have no cheese whatsoever and I need the grease from them and from the burger, since as you can see, I won't be getting much fat from anything else, and I want to indulge once a week.

I guess I covered everything you touched on, but read this excerpt on "The Ketogenic Diet."

"Summary of guidelines for glycogen supercompensation on the CKD"

"1. 5 hours prior to your final workout before the carb-up, consume 25-50 grams of carbohydrate
with some protein to begin the shift out of ketosis. Small amounts of protein and fat may be
added to this meal.

2. 2 hours prior to the final workout, consume 25-50 grams of glucose and fructose (such as fruit)
to refill liver glycogen.

3. The level of glycogen resynthesis depends on the duration of the carb-up and the amount of
carbohydrates consumed. In 24 hours, glycogen levels of 100-110 mmol/kg can be achieved as
long as 10 grams carb/kg lean body mass are consumed. During the second 24 hours of carbing,
an intake of 5 grams/kg lean body mass is recommended.

4. During the first 24 hours, the macronutrient ratios should be 70% carbs, 15% protein and 15%
fat. During the second 24 hours, the ratios are roughly 60% carbs, 25% protein and 15% fat.

5. As long as sufficient amounts of carbohydrate are consumed, the type and timing of intake is
relatively less important
. However, some data suggests the higher glycogen levels can be
attained over 24 hours, if higher Glycemic Index (GI) carbs are consumed. If carbing is continued
past 24 hours, lower GI foods should be consumed."

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
About how many grams of carbs are you lookin for during that period? You said half, does that mean abot 400g? And how many do you have on your planned carb up?

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
About how many grams of carbs are you lookin for during that period? You said half, does that mean abot 400g? And how many do you have on your planned carb up?

My target is about 440 for 24 hours, so about 660 total (36 hours).

But my plan falls quite short of that, I just cannot find it possible to eat more than that. Maybe I'll throw in some ice cream.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
A great thing to eat is cereal!! I eat the cereal singles and the raisin bran crunch is 76g carbs alone per serving! Just eat alot of cereal. Are you doing the simple carbs first half and complex carbs second half? Candies like smarties and sweet tarts have dextrose as the main source of sugar and are great for simple carbs :)

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
A great thing to eat is cereal!! I eat the cereal singles and the raisin bran crunch is 76g carbs alone per serving! Just eat alot of cereal. Are you doing the simple carbs first half and complex carbs second half? Candies like smarties and sweet tarts have dextrose as the main source of sugar and are great for simple carbs :)

Hey, that's great! Thanks, I'll eat some Raisin Bran Cruch, since I love that stuff, with 2% milk.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Now I'm having second thoughts about the carb-up. I feel that since it's already the end of thursday, and this diet hasn't been hard at all I might want to stay in Ketosis and accelerate fat loss, and maybe do the carb-up next friday.

At the same time, the amount of muscle I have, as you have seen, is barely noticeable, so I don't want to lose what little I have.

Any recommendations?

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
I was recommended to do 7 days low carb to start out, 5 isn't sufficient enough because it takes a body 2-3 days to get into ketosis then as soon as your body adjusts to it, boom! you hit your carb up. Some people believe if you do a 12-14 day low carb, it will put your body into a deeper state of ketosis. I don't know if there is any scientific evidence surrounding this, or if it was just an idea someone had. I personally wouldn't go longer than the 7 days, I'm sure your muscles will be happy you did. Also something I didn't do before my initial carb up that i'm kinda wondering about. You should weigh yourself before your carb-up and then weigh yourself after. I've heard of people havin a 25lb difference!! Good luck with whatever you decide to do bro!

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Now I'm having second thoughts about the carb-up. I feel that since it's already the end of thursday, and this diet hasn't been hard at all I might want to stay in Ketosis and accelerate fat loss, and maybe do the carb-up next friday.

At the same time, the amount of muscle I have, as you have seen, is barely noticeable, so I don't want to lose what little I have.

Any recommendations?
I'd carb up. It will also jump start your metabolism and your sanity. Plus, nothing is worse than running out of gas in the middle of a workout. Carb ups keep you going.

One thing you could try is a 36 hour or 24 hour carb up. I do 36 hour carb ups instead of the standard 48 hour ones.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
Supp, I noticed something pecuilar in your picture, there is like a million toothbrushes in your bathroom, do you have a big family or do you cycle them? lol, I just thought it was funny

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Supp, I noticed something pecuilar in your picture, there is like a million toothbrushes in your bathroom, do you have a big family or do you cycle them? lol, I just thought it was funny

Man, I can't believe it took this long. I knew someone was gonna ask sooner or later, haha.

I live in my grandmother's house with her, my wife and my two boys (3 and 1 years old). That's already 5 toothbrushes, but my wife insists on not throwing away the boys' old brushes, for keepsakes, and she buys one every two months for them, haha.

By the way, there's also a mirror there, so you're seeing double, which makes it look even more ridiculous, lol.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
By the way, I started the carb-up, but now I CANNOT STOP eating carbs!!! Someone has to stop me, or I'll go past my target grams 3 or 4 times over!!!

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
By the way, I started the carb-up, but now I CANNOT STOP eating carbs!!! Someone has to stop me, or I'll go past my target grams 3 or 4 times over!!!
You just stop when you need to stop.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
If you have problems with over eating on a carb up then you should change your source of carb intake, introduce some fiberous source of carbohydrates.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
No kidding. That is a lot of toothbrushes!

SuppKnight, I really wouldn't worry about overeating too much on your carb up. I remember on my first couple of carb ups, I was the same way. Like eating 1 carb flipped a switch and made me ravenously hungry for more carbs. Come Monday, you'll be fine.

cjszip

cjszip

Awards
The beauty of eating a great deal of carbohydrates, as you've read in Lyle's book, is that it stimulates leptin and decreases ghrelin. There IS a point of diminished return, however, if you complete a proper carb-up or re-feed, you shouldn't feel the effects of dieting to any great degree. When I used to do these types of diets, I would begin noticing the effects of sub caloric intake approximately 5 days after my re-feed.

Suppknight, while others have already warned against the prospect of binge eating/over indulging, I'm simply going to reinstate their notions by saying that the CKD is made more effective by the work you're willing to put into it. If you're using HFCS as an alternative to healthy, natural fructose, you're risking not only your results, but overall health. Results of this can be found here; EDIT: I originally referenced three web sites with research on high fructose corn syrup and it's negative effect on liver, lipid, blood sugar, insulin, and glucose metabolism.

Also, remember- while indulging with a meal or two, in addition to your healthy carb-up/re-feed period is acceptable and even encouraged for long-term diet adherence, it's absolutely unreasonable to compose a structured re-feed entirely of junk food and expect that you will not begin hurting progress. At this point, you'd be better off with an OVERALL healthy lifestyle change that avoids junkfood entirely. This lifestyle alteration will help you pave the road for long-term nutrition success. No matter how advanced a diet, the margin of error remains in the user- in this case, you're paving the road for an EDNOS by periods of severe bingeing with compensatory dieting. Remember that fat intake during a re-feed will also decrease the leptin response (the purpose of re-feeding in the first place). As of right now, your refeed provides your body with strictly one benefit- as you feed your body an abundance of calories from high fat, high sugar sources after a period of severe restriction, it becomes MORE efficient at storing bodyfat and resisting body composition changes as a means of "survival". Similar to how you train in the gym to slowly but surely pack on more muscle, you're training/priming your metabolic system for insulin resistance and fat storage efficiency.

Good luck. I don't mean to sound so critical of you, but I've been in your position before (lost 112 lbs, and started bodybuilding 6 years ago).

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
The beauty of eating a great deal of carbohydrates, as you've read in Lyle's book, is that it stimulates leptin and decreases ghrelin. There IS a point of diminished return, however, if you complete a proper carb-up or re-feed, you shouldn't feel the effects of dieting to any great degree. When I used to do these types of diets, I would begin noticing the effects of sub caloric intake approximately 5 days after my re-feed.

Suppknight, while others have already warned against the prospect of binge eating/over indulging, I'm simply going to reinstate their notions by saying that the CKD is made more effective by the work you're willing to put into it. If you're using HFCS as an alternative to healthy, natural fructose, you're risking not only your results, but overall health. Results of this can be found here; EDIT: I originally referenced three web sites with research on high fructose corn syrup and it's negative effect on liver, lipid, blood sugar, insulin, and glucose metabolism.

Also, remember- while indulging with a meal or two, in addition to your healthy carb-up/re-feed period is acceptable and even encouraged for long-term diet adherence, it's absolutely unreasonable to compose a structured re-feed entirely of junk food and expect that you will not begin hurting progress. At this point, you'd be better off with an OVERALL healthy lifestyle change that avoids junkfood entirely. This lifestyle alteration will help you pave the road for long-term nutrition success. No matter how advanced a diet, the margin of error remains in the user- in this case, you're paving the road for an EDNOS. Remember that fat intake during a re-feed will also decrease the leptin response (the purpose of re-feeding in the first place).

Good luck. I don't mean to sound so critical of you, but I've been in your position before (lost 112 lbs, and started bodybuilding 6 years ago).

Hey, I appreciate the advice. Is it possible, since you know more than me on this, to give me a sample 24-36 hour menu for 600g of carbs, that maximizes the effects of the diet?

cjszip

cjszip

Awards
Yeah, it's absolutely possible for me to help you in anyway I possibly can. However, I would like to see you implement re-feed strategies that Lyle recommends. I cannot write your re-feed for you, but I can provide helpful strategies.

For instance, I think it's acceptable to start out with a few higher-GI-carbohydrates during the first 12 hours of a re-feed period. This will serve to quickly (but not too quickly) elevate glucose, removing you from a state of ketosis, and stimulating leptin's first surge. This is the most important time to avoid high fat intake, as elevated levels of blood fatty acids with high insulin levels will increase the likelihood that these fatty acids will be stored as adipocytes. Next, you'll quickly replenish liver glycogen- this will happen first naturally, no need to over do it on fructose. Note that some fruit is useful here. Your meals during the first 12 hours shouldn't come strictly from cheat meals, but rather things like regular bagels, regular pasta, white rice, etc. with more and more emphasis being placed on whole wheat bagels, whole wheat pasta, sweet potatoes, oatmeal and whole grain rice or wild rice during the latter (2/3rds) stages of a re-feed. Through trial and error, I've found it to be of utmost importance to implement high-fiber foods during the latter stages (unless you want a bad case of the "sputters").

Something I think you'll also find useful is KetoStix. If you've got the time to run to a CVS or RiteAid, these can be found with little trouble. KetoStix are useful in measuring one's level of ketosis. I've implemented these because a structured re-feed is more effective when you're fully immersed in a state of full depletion I.E ketosis. When I first used these, I found that I was implementing a full-fledge re-feed in a state of only partial depletion. After upping the amount of cardio/depletion training in preparation of a re-feed, I found my body was more responsive to the re-feed. Not a necessity, but certainly something I found useful.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
It's because your body is transitioning to fat as the main source of energy. Fat takes longer to digest, therefore you feel full/satisfied longer. Wait until you hit the carb-up, you will eat a huge meal and feel hungry again within 1-2 hours! It felt like I was constantly hungry on my carbup days
In the end, it likely has less to do with digestion of fats and the feeling satiety than it does the effects of carb restriction (and its concommitant effects on hormone levels). Of course, during carb up insulin levels are running full bore.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Well, I've had a pretty bad carb-up, like many have mentioned here, but still, I will wait until next friday morning and depending on my weight/lean-mass/fat loss from the first week prior to carb-up to the second week prior to carb-up, I will know what adjustments are needed, if any.

I'm still experimenting, so let's see how it goes.

I do agree with you, cjszip, about toning down the cheat meals, but I have a question: The rice, pastas, bagels, etc; what should I combine them with? There has to be some meat or cheese to make them tasteful, no?

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
Haha, I feel you on that one, on my first carb-up i was eating like i did in my fat kid days! Hopefully tomorrow will go better! Good luck to you on the rest of your carb-up!

cjszip

cjszip

Awards
It's a good time to practice the skills that will improve your nutrition over the course of your life. Learning to cook the food you enjoy eating, but with a healthy variety, is the key. If you want certain things combined with cheese, find out what's healthiest, and implement these strategies. For myself, I try to use lowfat, or fat free cream cheese on the bagels, it's actually got quite a bit of protein, but no fat, and almost 0 carbs. For pasta, I typically utilize more herbs and spices, parmasan cheese, sauted mushrooms and onions, and some seared flank steak. There's nothing wrong with enjoying your food, but if you can do so without added ingredients that negate from your healthful lifestyle attempts, you'll be successful not only in your current diet, but later in life when you resume a more-normal lifestyle.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Ok, I finished my first carb-up at 2:00 p.m. today, and weighed myself, weighing 4 lbs over my weight just before beginning the carb-up. This looks reasonable, what with the water weight that comes back, but I will weigh myself again next friday before starting the carb-up to see if I have really lost something.

I'll keep you guys updated.

cjszip

cjszip

Awards
Ok, I finished my first carb-up at 2:00 p.m. today, and weighed myself, weighing 4 lbs over my weight just before beginning the carb-up. This looks reasonable, what with the water weight that comes back, but I will weigh myself again next friday before starting the carb-up to see if I have really lost something.

I'll keep you guys updated.

I did mine yesterday- Gained 11 lbs over my weight prior to the re-feed. I'm ready to hit some Deads today. :twisted:

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
I did mine yesterday- Gained 11 lbs over my weight prior to the re-feed. I'm ready to hit some Deads today. :twisted:

How could you gain so much? Did you consume an inordinate amount of water?

I think my body is never fully hydrated, which could explain why I didn't lose so much weight prior to the carb-up, and why I didn't gain much either post carb-up.

Anyways, do you have a log as well? I'd like to sub it if you do.

Also, what's the story with your avatar? It is sad to see such a morbidly obese man being so happy about the extra 5,000 calories or so he's about to put in his body.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established

I think my body is never fully hydrated, which could explain why I didn't lose so much weight prior to the carb-up, and why I didn't gain much either post carb-up.

Also, what's the story with your avatar? It is sad to see such a morbidly obese man being so happy about the extra 5,000 calories or so he's about to put in his body.
Gylcogen supercomposition because of the carbo load. The levels in your muscles can raise above what is normal and average for general restoration of glycogen, and since it does draw in water you gain extra weight.

cjszip

cjszip

Awards

No, I do not have a log. I fear that if I begin a log, I will not have enough time to maintain it with weekly (or even bi-weekly) updates during the semester.

Thomas Rivera is correct about glycogen supercompensation. When muscle cells are in a depleted state, especially in subcaloric conditions, they're capable of storing supraphysical levels of glycogen- meaning, above the "normal" baseline.

In addition to each gram of intramuscularly stored Glycogen, an additional 3 grams of water accompanies each gram of stored glycogen. Again, during depleted states and esp. during a state of subcaloric intake, these levels will increase above what is typically seen clinically (that is, upwards of 4 grams of water can be seen, in addition to upregulation of ribosome and creatine phosphate stores).

I thought that a bodybuilding-based message board was the appropriate place to rock the avitar. Motivational.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
My thanks to both ThomasRivera and cjszip for the explanation.

So, does this mean (me losing only 4 lbs during Keto and gaining only 4 lbs during carb-up) that my plan is failing miserably?:think:
Or should I not judge after only one week on the CKD?

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
By the way, off-topic question for AMTorres and ThomasRivera:

Are you both of latin descent? My last name is also Rivera, I am of Spanish descent and lived in Puerto Rico for 10 years.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
My thanks to both ThomasRivera and cjszip for the explanation.

So, does this mean (me losing only 4 lbs during Keto and gaining only 4 lbs during carb-up) that my plan is failing miserably?:think:
Or should I not judge after only one week on the CKD?
I don't think you should judge yet, there are metabolically and physically a lot of things changing in you. For one, your body is still in the process of shifting it's nutrient partitioning. Then there are the variables, how much sodium and potassium you intake during your low carb stage and how much your getting in during your carb load.

Give it some time, you'll have room to evaluate what you are doing and how it effects you.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established

Are you both of latin descent? My last name is also Rivera, I am of Spanish descent and lived in Puerto Rico for 10 years.
My fathers family, the actual line that he originated from came from Spain and moved to puerto rico then into US. Other half is Italian, they had moved into Cuba had a plantation then into the US.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established

I'm half Mexican and half Irish. Good job on the diet and I will be looking forward to future posts with your results!

I have some breaking news that I will be posting in my log today, so keep an eye out!

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Nice. Three half-tinos interested in the CKD and on the same forum. Must be genetic, LOL.

Anyway, back on topic.

Like I mentioned before, on carb-up days I have a bottomless pit of a belly, but on Keto days, I have no appetite at all.

Could I get away with a very low caloric intake on Keto days, say, 1500 cals below maintenance, and a very high caloric intake on carb-ups, say, 1000 cals above maintenance?

I think my metabolism wouldn't be negatively affected since every 5 days I would go back to eating surpluss cals, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Nice. Three half-tinos interested in the CKD and on the same forum. Must be genetic, LOL.

Anyway, back on topic.

Like I mentioned before, on carb-up days I have a bottomless pit of a belly, but on Keto days, I have no appetite at all.

Could I get away with a very low caloric intake on Keto days, say, 1500 cals below maintenance, and a very high caloric intake on carb-ups, say, 1000 cals above maintenance?

I think my metabolism wouldn't be negatively affected since every 5 days I would go back to eating surpluss cals, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?
Half-tinos :lol: I never heard that before.

Eating surplus is actually a good thing. I have to go cook dinner but a quick rundown. In sub maintenance calories the body will shift its metabolism to slow down to prevent loss of weight. When you carb load you reverse this process.

This is the same reason why people calorie cycle as well. Your body will switch its metabolism more eagerly to overeating than under eating, fat is an evolutionary salvation tool to the body so when it can pull in fat it will.

You are one of the lucky ones. Same with me, I can easily eat low on this diet and during carb ups I can eat my fill. It's a gift really.