Modified CKD for normal people

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
Great job Supp! I couldn't see the pics you added yesterday because the computer at work sucks, but when I get home I'll check them out!

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
Nice progress man! Pics look great. Keep busting your hump, it's paying off.

cjszip

cjszip

Awards
Similar in what way? Could you elaborate some more? Also, could you maybe PM me some of your before and after pics to take a look at your progress? Thanks in advance.
Similar in body shape/type and distribution of fat storage. I don't mind PMing you some of my before/after pictures, but they're on my other computer. I started as a teenager at 5'6 258 lbs and came down to around 160 at 5'8. It's been a few years of steady work and I'm now 183 lbs, relitively solid.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
Great job bro, I see your back is coming in good, that is my weakest body part. Keep up the good work! I added my pics, they're on my LR/DCP Log

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Well, I don't want to jinx it, but I've hit the 170s without losing muscle so I'm feeling great right now. Getting off the 180s was a pain, and for some reason starting those next 10 lbs has always been hard for me (210 to 209, 200 to 199, 190 to 189 and now 180 to 179).

At my skinniest I was 150 lbs, but w/o any muscle, at 20 years old. Do you guys think 165 lbs with the muscle I have or just a bit more would be lean enough?

pistolgripump

pistolgripump

Awards
just started this diet myself.....congrats on the progress man!

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Well, I don't want to jinx it, but I've hit the 170s without losing muscle so I'm feeling great right now. Getting off the 180s was a pain, and for some reason starting those next 10 lbs has always been hard for me (210 to 209, 200 to 199, 190 to 189 and now 180 to 179).

At my skinniest I was 150 lbs, but w/o any muscle, at 20 years old. Do you guys think 165 lbs with the muscle I have or just a bit more would be lean enough?
As much as I didn't want to jinx it, it happened. I have not been able to follow the diet in a while, for reasons personal and beyond this board's scope. The good news is that I haven't gained much w/o the diet, but the bad news is that of course, I haven't lost any more fat.

I will be able to resume the CKD on April 28, that being exactly 3 weeks from now. I would like to know if there are any tips you guys could give me to go back to 179 lbs (I'm 183 right now) in those three weeks w/o following the CKD. I honestly know quite a bit about the CKD, but know nothing about other diets. Any help would be appreciated.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
Hey bro, for awhile there, I was in the same boat as you. I've picked up a few tips here and there on these boards. Alot of people mention calorie cycling and carb cycling to help stimulate your body to increase your bodies rate at which it burns calories(sorry it's 4 am here and I can't think of the word, lol) When I get back to the states, of course after I get my week or two of gorging and enoying Southern California taco shops, I will be getting back to a 40/40/20 diet. Can't wait to get back to 24 hour fitness' gyms again! Try to keep up the cardio during this timeframe and you should be good. Also, don't let your protein slip, I did and I've already lost almost an inch on my arms(one of the only things i measure, so the only way for me to tell I've lost muscle for the time being. You're doing great things and I know, no matter what happens during these next 3 weeks you'll come back strong and reach your goals!

On another know, guess who's leaving Iraq in less than a month? THIS GUY! I'll be keeping an eye on your log, and I will be starting a bulking log in May! I think I will be taking Spawn by Myogenix, unless I find something else thats better. Again, good luck with everything these next three weeks and I hope that things in your personal life get back to where you want them. Later bro!

-Aaron

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Hey bro, for awhile there, I was in the same boat as you. I've picked up a few tips here and there on these boards. Alot of people mention calorie cycling and carb cycling to help stimulate your body to increase your bodies rate at which it burns calories(sorry it's 4 am here and I can't think of the word, lol) When I get back to the states, of course after I get my week or two of gorging and enoying Southern California taco shops, I will be getting back to a 40/40/20 diet. Can't wait to get back to 24 hour fitness' gyms again! Try to keep up the cardio during this timeframe and you should be good. Also, don't let your protein slip, I did and I've already lost almost an inch on my arms(one of the only things i measure, so the only way for me to tell I've lost muscle for the time being. You're doing great things and I know, no matter what happens during these next 3 weeks you'll come back strong and reach your goals!

On another know, guess who's leaving Iraq in less than a month? THIS GUY! I'll be keeping an eye on your log, and I will be starting a bulking log in May! I think I will be taking Spawn by Myogenix, unless I find something else thats better. Again, good luck with everything these next three weeks and I hope that things in your personal life get back to where you want them. Later bro!

-Aaron

Thanks for the tips, bro. I'm truly happy for you that you get to go back home. Like I always say, once you're with family and friends, treasure them always, because you never know when you'll be apart again.

Anyways, I'll try calorie and carb cycling. The hardest thing for me is that I am extremely carb sensitive. If I eat no carbs, I don't get hungry and lose weight easily, but as soon as I eat even one banana or one slice of bread, I get extremely hungry for the rest of the day no matter how much I eat.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
I definitely will make the best of my time with friends and family! Another suggestion is to take a good appetite suppressant while doing your carb cycling and/or your sub-caloric intake diet. You know first hand how effective LR is. Honestly while doing a CKD you won't need it as much because of the natural increase in test during your loads. Whatever you do I'd be intersted to follow along, so keep posting!

stefang

Awards
Thanks for the tips, bro. I'm truly happy for you that you get to go back home. Like I always say, once you're with family and friends, treasure them always, because you never know when you'll be apart again.

Anyways, I'll try calorie and carb cycling. The hardest thing for me is that I am extremely carb sensitive. If I eat no carbs, I don't get hungry and lose weight easily, but as soon as I eat even one banana or one slice of bread, I get extremely hungry for the rest of the day no matter how much I eat.
You should consider some ALA ( or the better version such as Na-RALA) with ALCAR during your Carb up. It is mentioned in Lyolds book. You might also add one and/or more of the following: banaba/chromium picolinate/cinamon/bitter melon.

All these will help you carbup better. I have used these many times before and I can't tell you how much difference they make. If you do a circuit workout on the day before your carbup, you can achieve glucose supercompensation level within 24 hours and even build some muscle during this time.

Another thing to keep in mind is to eat enough vegetables such as: lettuce, broccoli, celery (these have very few carbs, good amouts of fiber and most of all are very alkalizing) since the ketogenic diet is very acidic by nature, which is one of the main causes of the fatigue/sluggishness during the first few days on it >> your body has to fight very low PH. Make sure to increase your mineral intake as well, since minerals are very alkalizing and will allow your body to normalize faster.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Well, due to some unforeseen yet pleasant circumstances, I'll be able to get back on the CKD starting tomorrow!!!:cheers:

Question: Should I dive right in seeing as how I'd been doing well with the CKD before, or should I ease in because of the somewhat long-ish period off the diet?

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Ok, I started the CKD again, but this time, I want to incorporate jogging, since I have some free time. Lyle McDonald does not recommend cardio on a CKD but is there any way I could incorporate it without losing muscle? I was thinking of consuming 30g-50g of carbs 1 hour prior to or immediately after jogging (maybe drinking a glass of chocolate milk). Would this work?

stefang

Awards
Ok, I started the CKD again, but this time, I want to incorporate jogging, since I have some free time. Lyle McDonald does not recommend cardio on a CKD but is there any way I could incorporate it without losing muscle? I was thinking of consuming 30g-50g of carbs 1 hour prior to or immediately after jogging (maybe drinking a glass of chocolate milk). Would this work?
I would skip the carbs, all they will do is take you out of ketosis. Instead take a higher dose of BCAA's and drink them before and during your jog. BCAA will convert to glucose in about 50:50 ratio and will prevent muscle loss. I would use the carbs only if you plan to do a high intensity exercise/run which you won't be able to sustain without carbs. Jogging >> no carbs needed.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
I would skip the carbs, all they will do is take you out of ketosis. Instead take a higher dose of BCAA's and drink them before and during your jog. BCAA will convert to glucose in about 50:50 ratio and will prevent muscle loss. I would use the carbs only if you plan to do a high intensity exercise/run which you won't be able to sustain without carbs. Jogging >> no carbs needed.

Ok, cool. As a matter of fact, I've jogged 1.5 miles each day starting yesterday and while I consumed some carbs yesterday, I didn't today, and noticed no difference while jogging, so I guess I'll be ok without the pre-jog carbs.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Well, here's a new pic. My arms are coming in pretty good, but I wish I could say the same about my belly.

snyper2k2

Awards
Looking at you neck up and your arms thats a HUGE change.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Looking at you neck up and your arms thats a HUGE change.
Yeah, it's a big change, but the picture was also taken right after a workout, so the Pump effect is there. I would say during a normal day I look basically the same but with less definition.

Anyways, the belly is the problem. I don't know what to do about it. I feel like from my upper chest and above, and from my waist and below I am already set, but that whole mid-section just doesn't budge.

cjszip

cjszip

Awards
HIIT helps a lot, such as interval jog/sprints (30/15's) and just so you know, Napalm is very helpful. I just finished up my first bottle and I'm pretty impressed.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am starting up a modified CKD again but have a quick question for anyone in here.

I am on t3/t4 (armour) so basically - can I skip the refeed days, metabolically speaking?

cjszip

cjszip

Awards
I am starting up a modified CKD again but have a quick question for anyone in here.

I am on t3/t4 (armour) so basically - can I skip the refeed days, metabolically speaking?
Yes. There will be very little downgrade due to exogenous thyroid hormone intake.