Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

CKD and cardio

Hey people, I started doing CKD about 3 weeks ago, getting more used to it and having higher energy now, so that's a plus. I was wondering if doing HIIT or just medium-intensity cardio for about an hour is OK while doing CKD. And also what a good fat burner would be while on CKD, other than the ECA stack. I'm 150 lbs, 14%-15% BF

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  194 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.32%

HIIT in the morning on an empty stomach + the CKD diet is great, altho I for one would not do an hour, I think 20-30mins is enough. Are you lifting weights at all?

What kind of fat burner did you have in mind a stim or a non stim? I like to use albuterol as my stim and use lean xtreme for its cortisol control and fat burning properties. I have yet to try DCP, but I have only heard great things about it, it is a non stim fat burner as well.

~GX
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.12%

Quote Originally Posted by GXbcmFTO View Post
    HIIT in the morning on an empty stomach + the CKD diet is great, altho I for one would not do an hour, I think 20-30mins is enough. Are you lifting weights at all?

What kind of fat burner did you have in mind a stim or a non stim? I like to use albuterol as my stim and use lean xtreme for its cortisol control and fat burning properties. I have yet to try DCP, but I have only heard great things about it, it is a non stim fat burner as well.

~GX
    Agree with the HIIT.

Just wondering why you would suggest it on an empty stomach, anytime I hear the argument for empty stomach cardio its in favor because the body would burn more fat rather than anything else, essentially this is what we attain in keto.
    •   

4. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.42%

This is terrible advice, in my opinion.
    HIIT in the morning on an empty stomach + the CKD diet is great
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

That's what I'm looking for as far as supps, thanks

About the HIIT on empty stomach, like Thomas said, why empty stomach? I would just end up needing to eat more fat that day to make up for it right?
  6. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.42%

The main issue is the fact that you said you are on CKD. Low-carb diets and high-intensity cardio lead to muscle wasting. Whenever I am doing low-carb, I stick to medium-intensity treadmill work. 3mph @ 5-10% incline.
  7. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.42%

And to answer your supplement question, I prefer PAL Leviathan (though USP ReCreate was good as well). I am one of the very few people (maybe the only one?) that hasn't seen any added benefit from DCP, but it appears to be very solid from reviews. I used to use ECA stacks in the past, but I prefer the two mentioned above to ECA now.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.45%

Quote Originally Posted by tribaltek View Post
    The main issue is the fact that you said you are on CKD. Low-carb diets and high-intensity cardio lead to muscle wasting. Whenever I am doing low-carb, I stick to medium-intensity treadmill work. 3mph @ 5-10% incline.
    I tend to disagree slightly. Your endurance might suffer from ckd but I do not think 20min of intense cardio is going to cause muscle wasting on an empty stomach.
  9. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.42%

Regardless of our varying opinions, please make sure you have some BCAA's in you at the very least if you are doing any kind of "empty stomach" cardio.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  194 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.32%

Quote Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
    I tend to disagree slightly. Your endurance might suffer from ckd but I do not think 20min of intense cardio is going to cause muscle wasting on an empty stomach.
    I agree with this, endurance will most likely suffer, however 20-30mins of 400m sprints is not going to lead to much muscle loss if any, especially if you eat shortly there after. I would recommend BCAA's tho as tribaltek suggested.

~GX
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.45%

I agree with this, endurance will most likely suffer, however 20-30mins of 400m sprints is not going to lead to much muscle loss if any, especially if you eat shortly there after. I would recommend BCAA's tho as tribaltek suggested.

~GX
    Agreed completely. However, I am sure there were not bcaas around in bulk back when hunter gatherers had to probably do HIIT to kill their food for the day...and they were ripped.
  12. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.42%

Being "ripped" like a caveman (I assume you mean scrawny and starving?) and retaining a high percentage of LBM are two totally different ball games, bro.
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.45%

Being "ripped" like a caveman (I assume you mean scrawny and starving?) and retaining a high percentage of LBM are two totally different ball games, bro.
    Point taken but I really do not think that using bcaas before/during 20min of total activity is going to make much of a difference. Are we talking performance or appearance here? I agree that for performance/endurance that bcaas as well as a carbo source will definitely help. I have done HIIT while drinking xtend for a month and done it for 2-3months 4-5x per week while drinking crystal light and have not noticed any difference.
  14. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.42%

I'm speaking purely about anti-catabolism.
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

Hmmmm, so BCAAs beforehand and how long afterwards should I eat? I'd be waking up around 5 or 5:30, then need to be at school which is a half hour away, at 8. I'd wanna eat around 6:40, would that be OK?

And thanks for the supp info again, I will prolly go with either DCP or Leviathan.

Some days I may do the medium-intensity cardio, then prolly 2-3 times a week do fasted HIIT. I do also do weights by the way, so the medium intensity will be on workout days, and the fasted HIIT will be in the mornings of my break days.

Would it be good for me to do HIIT on Fridays, after the final workout, but before my carb-up begins?(Goes till midnight sat)
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.12%

I don't think CKD will cause any lapse in cardiovascular capability, endurance wise anyway. From all the CKD stuff i've read, endurance isn't effected.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.45%

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    I don't think CKD will cause any lapse in cardiovascular capability, endurance wise anyway. From all the CKD stuff i've read, endurance isn't effected.
    in a twenty minute HIIT session endurance is not a factor regardless.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.45%

I'm speaking purely about anti-catabolism.
    As am I. I do not see 20min of HIIT being catabolic.
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

Alright, so it's not catabolic, I still need the BCAA's right? And I put some questions in my last post ^^^^^^
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.45%

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFury View Post
    Hmmmm, so BCAAs beforehand and how long afterwards should I eat? I'd be waking up around 5 or 5:30, then need to be at school which is a half hour away, at 8. I'd wanna eat around 6:40, would that be OK?

And thanks for the supp info again, I will prolly go with either DCP or Leviathan.

Some days I may do the medium-intensity cardio, then prolly 2-3 times a week do fasted HIIT. I do also do weights by the way, so the medium intensity will be on workout days, and the fasted HIIT will be in the mornings of my break days.

Would it be good for me to do HIIT on Fridays, after the final workout, but before my carb-up begins?(Goes till midnight sat)
    Yes to all.
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

Alright, thanks.

Should I have my post-workout shake(100% Gold Pure Whey, or something like that) after I do HIIT? I'm thinking the food will be good enough, but just checking.
  22. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.42%

I still believe high intensity cardio on a low carb diet (on an empty stomach even) is not the way to go. You can tell me all day that it isn't catabolic, but I just can't agree.

Now if we were talking about a diet with "regular" 40/40/20 type macros, then I would totally agree with you. But seeing as he is going to be in a glycogen depleted state, catabolism is going to occur.
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

Well, I'm going to do it for 10-12 mins for a week or so and see what happens, or until we can get a definite answer on the " is it catabolic" question
  24. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.42%

I don't have a degree in the field or anything, I'm just telling you from personal experience.

Maybe Bobo or someone in that caliber can post and school us all.
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.85%

I agree with trib. I have been doing CKD for 2.5months now and have lost 30lbs of fat and have gotten the strongest I have ever been. I would suggest doing 30-45min of elliptical or stairmaster after heavy weights.
  26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.12%

in a twenty minute HIIT session endurance is not a factor regardless.
    Endurance is always a factor, if someone is in poor cardiovascular shape, not necessarily overweight, just not in good condition, completing a 15 minute run might be hard, let alone putting sprints in there.

I don't see why HIIT would be catabolic, if diet and macro intake during CKD are spot on I can't really see why it would eat muscle. Especially if your eating right and have protein and fat available for digestion during the session. HIIT sessions are usually shorter than LI sessions, and would probably have either lower or similar calorie requirements.

HIIT increases beneficial hormones, increases how effectively glycogen is stored and increases EPOC for many hours after a session is completed, low intensity cardio just doesn't do that. Increased EPOC on top of the fat burning nature of CKD is a bonus, sure, weighlifting which is essentially the same concept periods of high intensity work with breaks in between action, raises EPOC as well, but performing HIIT on days where you haven't worked out, or haven't worked out too intensely can be a great asset.
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.5%

i dont think your muscle will drop if you do HIIT before/after lifting on ckd. but if you are cutting on ckd and doing HIIT before/after lifting, its a nobrainer there will be catabolic effects. lifting is a HIIT pass in itself. and basically, if you want to lose bodyfat, that means you are cutting. so i vote for the low intensity 6-12% incline walk at 3-4mph.

edit: btw, if anyone disagrees that lifting isnt a HIIT. then you are lifting like a *****
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

To Jester, I'm not going to do HIIT before/after my workout, but on my days off in the morning(So there would be around 10 hours from workout to HIIT)

I am not thinking doing HIIT is going to be catabolic in itself(Not done around lifting). I think the question now is if I should do it fasted or not. If HIIT was catabolic while on CKD, then wouldn't lifting be? Because if it is HIIT(A good, hard workout is, like you said, HIIT,in my oppinion). That's just what I'm kinda gettin from this whole thing.
  29. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.02%

Wouldn't using BCAA's before morning "fasted" cardio (and only BCAA's) make the body burn the BCAA's up for energy, resulting in a waste of money? Wouldn't it be just like consuming carbs?
  30. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

Alright, just ordered PAL Levi, that should help out. I was eating too many peanuts a few days ago, and carbs were prolly around 40, so that was kinda bleh. I cut them out and swapped some stuff up, now I'm down to about 5-12 carbs. Keto test is somewhere between 80 and 160 for the ketostix now.

Back to the HIIT, if I did it an hour after I ate in the morning, then drank a protein shake on the way to school, would that be better than fasted? I'm also doing the 30-45 low-medium intensity after workout.
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.12%

Yes, it is better. I don't know why people would do fasted cardio on a CKD diet.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.5%

To Jester, I'm not going to do HIIT before/after my workout, but on my days off in the morning(So there would be around 10 hours from workout to HIIT)

I am not thinking doing HIIT is going to be catabolic in itself(Not done around lifting). I think the question now is if I should do it fasted or not. If HIIT was catabolic while on CKD, then wouldn't lifting be? Because if it is HIIT(A good, hard workout is, like you said, HIIT,in my oppinion). That's just what I'm kinda gettin from this whole thing.
    really man, i cant belive you didnt understand what i wrote:

if you are doing TWO times HIIT while cutting. then its bad. if you are doing HIIT on a rest day and lifting on another day, while cutting, i think its okay. thats why i wrote HIIT before/after lifting.

everyone knows that gaining muscle while cutting is hard. you might even lose muscle if you're not stressing the details. so doing two HIIT exercises that probably span around 2hours is definetly gonna do you a catabolic favour.

i belive that HIIT on cutting and fasted is the same ****. okay you are on maintence, and your macro are correct. but you just had an 8hours sleep. and you probably didnt eat for 9hours. the catabolic effects have already kicked (unless you woke up in the middle of the night and chewed on some casein product). and then not eating breakfast and doing HIIT is just gonna rip your muscle apart. okay, you gonna eat 50p/50c/20f after the fasted HIIT? so what, the damage is already done. your muscle not gonna grow because you sprint. lifting grows your muscle.
  33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.12%

Don't do it fasted. The major effects from HIIT arise after performing it and not during it. On CKD your body uses fat as it's primary source of fuel. The usual argument towards fasted cardio is that it uses more fat because you are in a "starved" state so the fasted cardio would use fat and not glycogen/glucose. On CKD the main benefit of fasted cardio is irrelevant, if you use your glycogen stores up then thats more room for compensation during carb ups, which could mean a lower chance for calorie runover into fat. If fasted cardio could use more fat for energy than glucose then it really doesn't matter because fat on CKD is the main source of energy used.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.91%

So gentleman, to sum it up in one sentence.

Do HIIT with some food in you so you don't catabolise yourself to death.

Am i right? I went from understanding, to being confused, to thinking that I understand again :P
  35. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

Lol, ya, that's how I was, now I think I understand it again >_< I'm going to eat my eggs/bacon/cheese at around 5:10, then do HIT around 6 or 6:10 for about 15 mins. Should I have my shake on the way to school after I do HIIT? Or just eat my norm mid morning snack? I usually just grab some almonds in a baggy, and eat em at school between classes.

Sorry for misunderstandin' your post BTW Jester, was still confused about the ones above yours, lol.
  36. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.12%

You could have a shake after you do it, I don't see why not.
  37. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.91%

does it fit in with your caloric needs?

One shake is often around 150cals
  38. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

My shake is around 130 I think, and has 4g sugar, so that's kinda bleh. Sometimes I can't get up to what I need to eat for certain meals, so the calories from it are alright. I try to have 30-40g of fat per meal, then 10 for 2 snacks. I am supposed to have around 135 or 138, so I will randomly snack on bacon or something to give me a little boost, because I rarely hit the 138 or so >_<
  39. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.91%

My shake is around 130 I think, and has 4g sugar, so that's kinda bleh. Sometimes I can't get up to what I need to eat for certain meals, so the calories from it are alright. I try to have 30-40g of fat per meal, then 10 for 2 snacks. I am supposed to have around 135 or 138, so I will randomly snack on bacon or something to give me a little boost, because I rarely hit the 138 or so >_<
    if you're under your calorie limit for the day then you better be drinking those shakes!
  40. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

Will do

To doublecheck, I can eat about an hour before HIIT in the mornings right? And then shake directly after.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 11:22 PM
  2. Cardio after leg day
    By Strygwyr in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 11:00 PM
  3. Interval Cardio & Steady State Cardio
    By baz350 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 08:58 PM
  4. when to do cardio