CKD and cardio - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 3

CKD and cardio

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
  1. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.

Shadow - No need in stacking basic cuts on top of LR. LR does the job well by itself. If you're looking to stack something on top of it, look for a non-stimulant like DCP, CLA, Sesamin, etc...

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Alright, thanks...again ^_^
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tribaltek View Post
    Milk isn't advisable during low-carb days with CKD. WAY too much sugar (lactose).
    Yeah, I know the sugar amount in it. 12 a cup, I function well off of around 30-40 carbs a day. Even with the milk and various trace carbs from other things I stay in keto through the day.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Dang, you lucky bum, lol. The jello actually kicked me out of keto, it just took a little while <_< So there goes my jello, lol. I wasn't far in though, so that might have been it. I'm prolly not going to do my refeed this week just because last night or so I noticed it kicked me out, and I won't be back in till prolly tomorrow <_< Maybe I'll just kick my refeed to Saturday all day. Have any of you found the best refeed length? I have heard the Friday after workout to Sat midnight, and then one from Fri after workout till Fri midnight, and then the obvious one from Fri night to Sun midnight.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Sorry about that. JEllo has never done that to me. Some people determine their refeed length by how they look, they stop by the time where they start to look bloated. Which is probably easier at lower body fat percentages. I go for a 48 hour carb load.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.

I thought the refeed length was just one meal?

Also, you guys make keto sound like a hole. How can you tell if you've gone further into keto? I thought you were either in or out
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

It's fine, I am going to re-try the jello when I am deeper in, if I'm between 80 and 160 I'll prolly try again.

Thanks for the refeed info, I wasn't sure how to gauge what to do, no one ever said that in any topics or write-ups <_<

EDIT: wal, the keto stix have different keto counts, 80-160 is what I shoot for, because that means you are deeper(Than say, 20) and you're body is more efficient at burning the fat for energy. Atleast that's what I THINK ^_^

The refeed is just an amount of carbs, from what I have read, your body stores the carbs into your muscles so you can refill what you have been using for your workouts for the week. I also read that it doesn't matter if you have all the carbs in one meal, or if you have them in 12, your body stores the carbs no matter what. Eating 560 or so carbs in one meal just seems to hard for me <_<

Also, in the keto thread here, there is an excel sheet someone made that makes it insanely easy to find all your carbs/fats/proteins you will need. Just put in your BF % and weight.

EDIT...again: It won't let me attach the .doc, so I'll link you if you need it.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by walugi View Post
    I thought the refeed length was just one meal?

Also, you guys make keto sound like a hole. How can you tell if you've gone further into keto? I thought you were either in or out
    It really depends on the type of diet you go on. There are alot of variations on it. Some people eat carbs once every 18 meals. Some eat one carb meal a week. Some variations like the one I do its 24-48 hours.

AS for how deep your in, the keto sticks can lie, if you have drank too much water it can dilute the concentration of ketones in your urine and give a lower number or a false negative. However, generally at around 3 days you should be in ketosis on low carbs, and at three weeks your brain should require the lowest amount of glucose that it will need to run properly.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.

I tried to put it into a google doc, it doesnt let you upload .xls

Google Docs - ckd info

edit: YOu can click edit on the bottom right or just go to this link instead:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...SC8DGthbOxa6NA

10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Nice, that's the sheet

DANGIT, now I know why the stix say I'm not in keto then. I have been drinking so much frikkin water, it's scary, lol.

Maybe jello is not doing it
    It is definately sweet when your brain and body get used to no-low carbs, I have energy all the time now. It's weird, I rarely get those moments where I feel like doing nothing now. Now that I'm adding LR, life will be grand
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.

Are there set workouts for CKD which i have to follow?

In the spreadsheet for example, my gym has no T-Bar. I'm not strong enough to do 3 sets of dips :P Gym also doesnt have a reverse fly's machine

And no deadlifts?! Only stiff legged ones
    I was hoping to do squats more than twice a week.
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Use the exercise list they have their as a loose guideline. The wide variety of exercises is to ensure your depleting glycogen from as many muscles as possible. However, if you stick to your own routine, making sure that your hitting your muscles properly it shouldn't be a problem. Especially if your doing a depletion workout.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.

Cool, thanks for the info

So it won;t be a problem if i'm working out harden then what they say.

Also, should the diet by modified if I plan to workout twice a day on some days? I'm looking to hit the gym around 6 times a week and then doing HIIT on 2-3 days
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFury View Post
    Nice, that's the sheet

DANGIT, now I know why the stix say I'm not in keto then. I have been drinking so much frikkin water, it's scary, lol.

Maybe jello is not doing it
    It is definately sweet when your brain and body get used to no-low carbs, I have energy all the time now. It's weird, I rarely get those moments where I feel like doing nothing now. Now that I'm adding LR, life will be grand
    Yeah it is sweet. Ive been on some form or another of low carb dieting for about the past year. After a while you get a good feel on what you need to do.
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Ya, I'm doing a totally different workout. Some of it is the same, but I am doing my own routine.
    I don't even do a leg day, I know I should, but I do my workout at home with a machine and dumbells, etc...
    I just run for about 40 mins, and then the HIIT on Thursday(So muscles have some time before final workout,which is all muscle groups) and also HIIT on Mondays, and possibly Saturday, if I feel up to it.

I'm still getting great results, so, meh, why fix what ain't broken?

Quick question though: It is around 40 degrees at 6 in the morning here, sometimes colder, and the HIIT in that weather kills my lungs(I run outside) So if I got a jump rope and just did 50 secs or so normal, then 10 secs fast, would I get the same benefits? I've heard of people doing rope instead of running, but I didn't know if there was any significant differences.

EDIT: I plan on doing something like that River, I don't see any need to stop doing CKD, I have awesome energy, I feel better(dunno why,lol) and the food is great. I sometimes use my refeed as a cheat day too, just 1 or 2 things I usually don't eat, usually involving lots of sugar ^_^ I only really do that because I know I can do a massive workout on Sunday, because of all the carbs I just got, and I can help work the extra .3 of a pound I gain from all the sugar :P
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by walugi View Post
    Cool, thanks for the info

So it won;t be a problem if i'm working out harden then what they say.

Also, should the diet by modified if I plan to workout twice a day on some days? I'm looking to hit the gym around 6 times a week and then doing HIIT on 2-3 days
    No, it shouldn't, my workouts are higher volume than what is usuall y suggested, I just make sure that if im doing back day I hit every muscle well, leg day, hit everyone well. I will look around for the information, but what I do on this diet a lot while cutting is varying calorie intake during the week. The body is more primed to adapt to taking in excess calories. So say I do a 5 day low calorie stint. Instead of 2000 a day I do something like

Day 1:1700
    Day 2:2300
    Day 3:1700
    Day 4:2300
    Day 5:2000

Something like that. I keep the higher calorie days for heavier workout days and it seems to help my fat loss. What type of CKD program are you looking to do?
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFury View Post
    Ya, I'm doing a totally different workout. Some of it is the same, but I am doing my own routine.
    I don't even do a leg day, I know I should, but I do my workout at home with a machine and dumbells, etc...
    I just run for about 40 mins, and then the HIIT on Thursday(So muscles have some time before final workout,which is all muscle groups) and also HIIT on Mondays, and possibly Saturday, if I feel up to it.

I'm still getting great results, so, meh, why fix what ain't broken?

Quick question though: It is around 40 degrees at 6 in the morning here, sometimes colder, and the HIIT in that weather kills my lungs(I run outside) So if I got a jump rope and just did 50 secs or so normal, then 10 secs fast, would I get the same benefits? I've heard of people doing rope instead of running, but I didn't know if there was any significant differences.

EDIT: I plan on doing something like that River, I don't see any need to stop doing CKD, I have awesome energy, I feel better(dunno why,lol) and the food is great. I sometimes use my refeed as a cheat day too, just 1 or 2 things I usually don't eat, usually involving lots of sugar ^_^ I only really do that because I know I can do a massive workout on Sunday, because of all the carbs I just got, and I can help work the extra .3 of a pound I gain from all the sugar :P
    It depends how good you are at jump rope. Some guys just don't go that fast and when they do might be too good at it for the same sprint effect. Try it, see how you feel. If it doesn't feel the same, try a cardio bike.

I gain somewhere around 5-6 pounds during my refeeds. My refeeds usually include 24 hours of popcorn, bread, white rice, beans, some steak, chicken, candy, very small amounts of fruits. Ahh that muscular swell feels great.
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

So true ^_^

Alright, I'll try the rope and see how it goes the first day. Gonna try it on Thursday.

Also, I'm eating walnuts everyday(not a lot obviously) and I am definately starting to taste how bland they are. Is there any way to give em some flavor? Put em in a bad with salt and shake it? Or is there some spice or anything?

I may switch off/on with peanuts if there isn't anything for the blandness of em.
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

I would just link you over to the other thread that Rugger brought up about walnuts. But follow one of these two links

http://www.myhomecooking.net/chocola...ng-walnuts.htm
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2282365_roast-walnuts.html

You can salt them, toss them with your favorite seasonings. A little bit of a neutral flavored oil can help with the coating.
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Well, I might have made a typo...I meant almonds, lol. Sorry <_<

Was an interesting start of a read though, noone's ever told me to put my walnuts on a cookie sheet, lol
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Are your almonds raw? Or already roasted?
    Last edited by ThomasRivera; 10-28-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: wrong word
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Just straight up raw almonds. I don't remember seeing roasted, so I'll look for them next time I go to the store.
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

You can roast almonds, 300 degrees for about 15-20 minutes in the oven. Or 350 for 8-10. Works either way I think.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2172734_roast-almonds.html
    http://www.rwood.com/Recipes/Homemade_Almond_Butter.htm
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Alright, thanks.

Does it matter if I eat peanuts or almonds? They both have I think 3-4 carbs(That aren't fiber) the only dif is that the peanuts are salted.
    When I was having peanuts before, I was having 2-4 servings because I would have 2 at school, then I would munch on them at home, and they are addicting. If I had them, it would be one serving and I wouldn't use them as munchies.
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

They probably just have different fat and protein content, you can check up on the labels if they come with them and if they don't nutritiondata.com is a good place to check.
  26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Ya, I have both of them here, and they really aren't much different. I will prolly just do each one every other day now, a little variation goes a long way ^_^

This is random, but you said my water intake would screw with the keto stix, but it doesn't mess with my actual keto right?
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

No, not with your actual keto. It's good to stay hydrated through all stages of keto, especially carb loads.

Actually might improve the effectiveness of keto.

"RESULTS: Only 500 ml water increased energy expenditure by 24% over the course of 60 min after ingestion, whereas isoosmotic saline and 50 ml water had no effect."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17519319

Thats about a seventh of a gallon of water.
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Dang, didn't know that O_o

I need to use google more instead of asking so many ?s here :P

You said you've been doing this for a year River? How the crap do you get through it for the Holidays? I think I am going to take Christmas day and Thanksgiving day as cheat days. I know if I get out of the groove of this, it will be just as hard to restart it as it was to start it. Should I skip one refeed before both of those holidays, just do be further into keto when I do have my massive cheat day?
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Well, the CKD i do is 5 days low carb, 2 days carb load.

Italian family, so for thanksgiving, turkey, pasta, wine, the usual. Other side of the family, turkey, crabberry, you know the usual stuff, yams with marshmallows on top. Same deal for christmas.

What do you mean by cheat day though?

If you do your workouts through the week, do a good depletion workout, you can have a good 48 hour carb up and supercompensate glycogen levels. Usually glycogen levels don't go past a certain point, doing a depletion workout you prime your muscles for uptake of glycogen and can easilly get away with doing a 48 hour carb load.
  30. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Cheat day as in not aiming for mainly carbs, or even good carbs, but just eating what tastes good, lol.

Depletion workouts are longer right? 60 sec rest between sets, and then 90 between dif workouts(from curls to situps, or bench to lat pulls, etc...) right?
    I also heard that on keto you were supposed to do them short but hard :S
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Depletion workouts are longer, much more intense, can have from 12-15 reps every set, circuit training style. Like for legs I would move in this way.

Hamstring curls, standing calf raises, leg extensions, standing hamstring curls, seated calf raises, leg press. Then something for upper body, then I would switch to circuits that involved full body stuff.
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Ah ok, do you do a normal workout after your carb up, or do a harder one because of the boost from being carbed up?
  33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Well, I periodize my workouts. I like to go for strength oriented workouts the first day after I finish my carb load. Then a size oriented workout later in the week.
  34. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Alright, I'll prolly end up stealing that then ^_^ Thanks for all the info, I think I'm actually out of questions now :O
  35. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.

ask him his star sign then :P
  36. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Lol :P
    That stupid jello is just sitting there mocking me <_<

You deciding on keto when you are able to or is it still a toss up?
  37. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post

Something like that. I keep the higher calorie days for heavier workout days and it seems to help my fat loss. What type of CKD program are you looking to do?
    You mean exercise plan?

I was going to try and follow the one on the spreadsheet, but adding it my own exercises for forearms and back. Or i was just thinking about doing my usual workouts :\

So depletion workouts are just more reps right?

I really don't enjoy circuit work, I find that i can't lift as heavily and harder to focus. I generally stick with normal 3x8 or 5x5 routines for all my exercises.

I split

Chest/Shoulders
    Bis/Tris
    Legs/Back

I'm thinking of splitting up legs and back though, I think it might be bad for me to do two large muscle groups in one day.

So i'll probably start on

Chest/Back
    Shoulders/Legs
    Bis/Tris
  38. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

I meant in terms of how long you would low carb for and what approach to carb loading you would take.
  39. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Well, I'm obviously not great at everything yet, but I think you're right on the two large muscle groups in one day. I did that for a lil while and I felt sick, dunno if it was from that, but ya ^_^

My workouts are usually just:
    Bis/Tris/Shoulders
    Back/Chest/Abs
    Then I do HIIT on the days inbetween, I also do cardio after my workout, which you may want to add in 30-45 mins if you're going to be cutting first.

EDIT:
    Mon:HIIT
    Tues:Bis/Tris/Shoulders/Cardio
    Wed:Back/Chest/Abs/Cardio
    Thurs:HIIT(So the other groups can rest before Fridays workout)
    Fri: Everything
    Sat: Rest or HIIT
    Sun:Rest or HIIT or cardio
  40. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    I meant in terms of how long you would low carb for and what approach to carb loading you would take.
    Haven't figured this out yet. From what i've read it seems like its different for everyone?

I'm probably around 15-20% bf now so i don't think my body will be that starved

Maybe just 24hours recarb will be enough

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM
  2. Cardio after leg day
    By Strygwyr in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 09:00 PM
  3. Interval Cardio & Steady State Cardio
    By baz350 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 06:58 PM