CKD and cardio - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

CKD and cardio

Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.

It's not mandatory, but it's preferable, and from what i've understood in this thread - recommended

2. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.

What does your shake look like anyways? I hope you're adding some fats into it to fit into the diet guidelines. Extra virgin olive oil is your friend in this diet, believe me. Add a bit to your shake and you're good to do.

Make sure you're eating fatty fish and/or taking fish oil caps as well.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Gonna start taking fish oil caps again, stopped once I started on the CKD. I have tuna, and some times talapia. I'll add the oil into the shake too, didn't even think about that Shake is 120 cal, 4g carbs, 1 sugar, 24g protein. (Gold Standard 100% Whey) Is that alright, or should I switch to a dif shake? I love the taste of it, and used to do Muscle Milk, which wasn't helping much and had a crapload of sugar. I'm about half way through this tub

EDIT: Basketball will be starting soon, and practice will be from 3 PM - 5 PM, should I try to have anything specific before/after practice? I still plan on coming home and doing some upper body.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.

bad thing about fatty fish is that its expensive

what's a good fish to grill on a george foreman?
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFury View Post
    EDIT: Basketball will be starting soon, and practice will be from 3 PM - 5 PM, should I try to have anything specific before/after practice? I still plan on coming home and doing some upper body.
    A lot of people would recommend that you have some BCAAs. Get something inside you at least, to fuel your exercise with something other then your muscles

If you're going to workout afterwards you may as well have a shake and get some protein in you. Your barely meeting caloric requirements as it is right?
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Alrighty, more BCAAs then, half hour before practice I'm guessing? And then the shake on my way home so I can start upper body right when I get home.

Ya, I barely hit it, because I'm always too worried to go over <_< I guess I do need to add more because of cardio/lifting though. I might hafta have 7 meals a day to get to my limit then.
  7. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.

Stopping fish oil when starting CKD was opposite of what you should have done. Get them in you ASAP. Remember that this diet is 60%+ fat. Put some extra virgin olive oil in your shake, along with some ground flax seeds. I also suggest Sesamin in either cap or liquid form (I put a few squirts in every shake).

It doesn't seem like you were ready for CKD. I suggest you study the principals more and start eating what it requires. Steak, burger, bacon, fatty fish, chicken thighs, whole eggs, etc. Talapia doesn't cut it in this diet. Most canned tuna has very little fast as well.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

"Steak, burger, bacon, fatty fish, chicken thighs, whole eggs"
    I eat all that but the fatty fish and chicken thighs... I did tuna for everything other than fat, the fat came with the other meat <_< I have eggs/bacon for breakfast, snack is almonds, lunch chicken/burger + pepperoni or cheese, dinner along the same lines of lunch, and then a snack of jerkey or something
  9. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.

Salmon is awesome for this diet, and you can buy it in bulk bags at Wal-Mart or similar stores for a good price.

I don't eat chicken thighs myself.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Salmon it is then, I only bought one box of tilapia, and that stuff sucked <_< I work at an Ihop till I graduate, and I either get a burger with no bun + cheese and some broccoli, or the tilapia, it's actually good there though.

I've heard some people eating a fruit or having some carbs before there workout, and only then. Is that OK? Or does it kick you out of ketosis? The broccoli is the only thing I have that has some carbs, only because it's fiber. I have it prolly twice a week, because I'm also taking a multi so I'm not too worried about fiber.

I'd like to just have a drink like a Monster or something before practice, but not sure if it's advised or whatever. Sorry for all the questions by the way, I've looked for all the CKD threads here and on 2 or 3 other sites, and most of them have the same stuff, so I'm forced to ask <_< And thanks for all the help
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFury View Post
    Salmon it is then, I only bought one box of tilapia, and that stuff sucked <_< I work at an Ihop till I graduate, and I either get a burger with no bun + cheese and some broccoli, or the tilapia, it's actually good there though.

I've heard some people eating a fruit or having some carbs before there workout, and only then. Is that OK? Or does it kick you out of ketosis? The broccoli is the only thing I have that has some carbs, only because it's fiber. I have it prolly twice a week, because I'm also taking a multi so I'm not too worried about fiber.

I'd like to just have a drink like a Monster or something before practice, but not sure if it's advised or whatever. Sorry for all the questions by the way, I've looked for all the CKD threads here and on 2 or 3 other sites, and most of them have the same stuff, so I'm forced to ask <_< And thanks for all the help
    Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale in his book the anabolic solution suggests not to intake carbs before working out because it compromises some of the fat burning capabilities. I personally wouldn't eat most fruit because of the fructose. While fruits don't contain all fructose, the majority of them contain mostly fructose. On CKD your limited in carbs anyway, so you might as well intake those that have a higher chance to be taken in as muscle glycogen rather than liver glycogen, which fruit will preferentially restore.

Broccoli is fine, nuts as long as you monitor the carbs, lettuce is good.

This book is what you need to read.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Thanks, I'll start readin more on it tonight, gotta go to work now <_<
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

No problem. One of the best books to read on it. Lyle McDonalds Ketogenic Dieting book is also very good to read on it, while Dr. Mauro and other auothors do give more elaborate diets, Lyle gives a base breakdown and fundamentals.
  14. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.

On TKD (which is what I did for a whopping 10 days this month) you can eat fruits/carbs before your workout, but that is totally different than CKD. CKD carb-up is on the weekend, and the workouts are different because of it.

Talapia is garbage. I will never eat that **** again. If you have to eat that or a burger, eat the burger, as it fits more into this diet (and tastes better anyways). You can add some mayo on the burger as well!
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Mayo's very good, especially mayo with chipotles and mustard blended into it. Full fat cheeses also work well.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.

I imagine not many people are told that they have to control their intake of broccoli :P

So other then meat, and fish what is okay to eat?

Lettuce
    Broccoli
    Peas?
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by walugi View Post
    I imagine not many people are told that they have to control their intake of broccoli :P

So other then meat, and fish what is okay to eat?

Lettuce
    Broccoli
    Peas?
    Walnuts, peanuts, almonds, oils, heavy cream, mayo, butter, some cream cheeses in moderation, sugar free jello.

http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure....arb_vegetables
  18. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.

From the old CKD website -

All Fish:
    Tuna, Samon, Sole, Trout, Flounder, Sardines, Herring, Anchovies

All Meat:
    Beef, Pork, Lamb, Veal, Venison, Ham*, Bacon*

All Fowl:
    Chicken, Turkey, Duck, Goose, Cornish Hen, Quail, Pheasant

All Shellfish:
    Oysters, Crabmeat, Shrimp, Lobster, Clams, Squid, Mussels

All Eggs:
    Scrambled, Fried, Poached, Deviled, Hard-boiled, Soft-boiled, Omelets

*Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats may have added sugar and will contribute carbs. Try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates.

Snacks-On-The-Go:
    String Cheese, Beef Jerky, Turkey Jerky, Olives, Low Carb Bars

Information about Low Carb Bars:
    Low Carbohydrate bars often have a label for net carbs. Net carbs are the total amount of carbohydrates in grams, minus the total amount of carbohydrates that do not impact your blood sugar. For example, a Low Carb bar may have 14 grams of Total Carbohydrate and 12 of those 14 grams are non-impact carbs. Meaning that only 2 carbs (14g-12g) should be counted towards your daily carb totals. Only 2 carbs have an effect on your blood sugar and need to be counted.

Information about Fiber:
    Fiber is considered a carbohydrate on nutriton labels but does not have any effect on blood sugar levels. For example, if a product has a Total Carbohydrate of 4 grams and 1 gram of fiber, only 3 (4-1) grams of carbohydrates count towards your daily totals, as these 3 carbs have an effect on your blood sugar.

Cheeses:
    Cheddar, Cream Cheese, Swiss, Mozzarella, Gouda, Goat, Roquefort, Other Blue Cheeses

Low-Carb Vegetables:
    Peppers, Mushrooms, Celery, Cucumber, Lettuce, Romaine Lettuce, Radishes, Bok Choy, Parsley

Low-Moderate Carb Vegetables:
    Artichoke, Asparagus, Snow Peas, Spinach, Broccoli, Spaghetti Squash, Eggplant, Brussel Sprouts, Tomato, Cabbage, Turnips, Onion, Zucchini, Cauliflower

Salad Garnishes:
    Grated Cheese, Sour Cream, Hard-Boiled Egg, Mushrooms, Bacon, Oil, Vinegar, Full-Fat Salad Dressing

Herbs & Spices:
    All Spices, Garlic, Basil, Pepper, Dill, Thyme, Oregano, Ginger, Rosemary, Sage

Fats & Oils:
    Olive Oil, Vegetable Oil, Canola Oil, Walnut Oil, Soybean Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Sesame Oil, Sunflower Oil, Safflower Oil, Butter

Artificial Sweetners:
    Sucralose (Splenda), Saccharin (Sweet N' Low)

Beverages:
    Filtered, Mineral, Spring, Tap Water, Club Soda, Heavy Cream, Decaf Coffee, Decaf Tea, Herb Tea, Lemon Juice
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Dang, ofcourse the big discussion goes on while I'm at work <_<

Alright, I picked up some egg patty things from walmart after work, it's basically the egg part of what you would get at a McDonalds morning sandwich, and it has 1 sugar carb. Also got sausage patties, they have 1 sugar carb as well, so I figured I could just combine them and have 4 carbs in one meal(2 of each, then add some cheese and whatnot) for probably breakfast, then lunch will be some salmon I picked up and beef, and dinner will be my eggs/cheese/beef.

To walugi: Just watchout on your almonds, peanuts, and walnuts. They will slaughter your carb-count if you aren't careful. I was having 2-3 servings a day, and that was popping mine up, and I was having peanut butter >_< But since I cut those out everything's been good. Now I have a serving of walnuts(1 oz.) and that's the only thing I have that has more than 1 carb in it.

And also, I didn't notice this before, but I can have unsweet tea/coffee with Splenda? I thought sweeteners were out :S
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Usually sweeteners are suggested after ketosis is established, same with lemon juice. Then again some people say that sweeteners effect their ketosis, so its up for grabs.
  21. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.

I've never had an issue with Splenda, but everybody reacts differently. There are some people that will come out of Keto after drinking a diet Coke! That has to suck.

I eat almonds and peanut butter while low-carbin', you just have to keep the serving size down. Also, the peanut butter I eat has less carbs than most (and more protein) - Naturally More - What Peanut Butter Should Be (you can find it at Wal-Mart).

Lastly, these will help you stay low carb AND get a ton of fiber in -
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

That's the peanut butter I was getting, but got too frikkin addicted, lol. Thanks for the unsweetened jell-o idea too, just grabbed a lot of that, I love jell-0

Also for the tortillas, didn't even think to look for anything that is remotely related to bread, lol.
  23. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.

Remember that those tortillias still have 5g net carb, so don't go overboard. 1 a day, tops. The extra fiber is great though. And they actually taste pretty damn good.

Low carb tort + ground chuck + cheese = yummy.
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Ya, I'm thinking I'll have one every 2 or 3 days or so, and then never have the PB on the same day.

Also doing the shake + oil, and it tastes interesting, lol.
    I'm going to have some Splenda today or tomorrow to see how it affects me, I pray to God it doesn't kick me out <_< I have only been drinking water, and I want some frikkin coffee or tea
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Sorry for the double post, but I figured I'd update you guys on how it is going since I started this topic. I was at about 150-151 and with about 16% BF. Now I'm about 154 and it says 15% BF.
  26. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.

Holy crap, I didn't realize you were so small. Why the hell are you doing low-carb?

Also, coffee and tea taste fine without Splenda. Hell, at least its something different.
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Lol, ya, I just want to cut fat mainly around my stomach, some on my chest, and then just build LBM. I figured this would be the best way to do it after I read up on it. I was doing a normal diet with, I think it was 40/40/20. I remember that's what it was, just don't remember the order, lol. I only did it for 3 weeks or so, and it was going well, but then I switched to this.

Am I still fine being my size and doing CKD + Levi? Or should I up my protein/fat to build more LBM while on it?
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

I generally think that Keto is good at any body weight. But depending on build, when someone says 150 5'7, I don't think as flabby.

one of my favorite deserts while on Keto
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  245 lbs.

what is that thomas?
  30. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

It's "ice cream". Whipped cream until fairly stiff, then strawberry-banana sugar free jello and strawberry protein shake is mixed in, formed in plastic wrap and let to harden in the freezer.

I've been toying around with the idea of buying an ice cream maker after I get a new job to try to make some high fat, low carb ice cream.
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  245 lbs.

Nice man, you always seem to have some good food up your sleeve
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Thanks. I like cooking. I'm not the best at it, most of my foods include a big list of peppers. But I just watch the food network alot, look for foods that I can substitute out sugar from. Usually comes in decent.
  33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Dang, that looks soooo good, lol. I haven't even thought about sugar free stuff, so I have had nothing but my meats and junk since I started <_< I'll be searching up and down for stuff now, and that looks like an awesome dessert
  34. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

It is pretty good. I've been looking for bitter chocolate to coat it with. Im assuming it should be lower carb than semi-bitter. But its definitely good as is.
  35. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Some chocolate would be awesome

And the jell-0 isn't affecting me for keto, I'm still in it and going deeper in it, so that's a plus, time to load up on jello now

I fell asleep early, and woke up too frikkin early, so now I'm making 30 sausage patties, 8 salmon burgers, and bacon for the next who knows how many days <_<
  36. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.

guy what do you do about calcium, because milk has quite a few carbs

also, lol at ice cream. I looked at it for a while and ended up thinking it was some strange exotic meat, or some strangely made chicken breast :P
  37. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.

check out this book we can 'preview'

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...esult#PPA42,M1

It's pretty sweet
  38. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

I drink some whole milk everyday, I also get a multivitamin in. You can also count the calcium content in vegetables, and better yet CHEESE.
  39. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Yup, cheese has 40% per serving of what I use O_o

Just got my LR, and got 3 samples of Basic Cuts, so I gotta do research on when to use that now too <_<

I love Nutra, samples and I didn't even ask

EDIT: OK, looked up Basic Cuts, and it looks like a little less-potent version of LR, should I use them together? Or just use all my LR then use them while I'm waiting for my next bottle to come in? If it works I'll be getting a second one, or AP, seeing as I've also heard good stuff about that.
  40. All Traps - No Tris
    Stats
    5'11"  246.4 lbs.

Milk isn't advisable during low-carb days with CKD. WAY too much sugar (lactose).
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    I drink some whole milk everyday
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM
  2. Cardio after leg day
    By Strygwyr in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 09:00 PM
  3. Interval Cardio & Steady State Cardio
    By baz350 in forum Training Forum