SNAGged and TORN..mending with USPlabs Product

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
All right fellas, been laying low for a minute rehabbing and recovering, ready to get back to some consistently intense consistentcy! :D

A little recent background to get rolling: after a busy first half of the year reshaping my body, cutting; reaching an all-time PR on my flat bench; then maintaining while playing a ton of baseball and tennis; ultimately culminating in an injury from that last activity, a torn medial meniscus..this was the second straight year a tennis injury put me on the shelf for awhile - last year, it was a grade 3 calf tear that caused me to miss the Natural Mr. Indiana show.

So, I've made it to the last steps of my self-imposed rehab for the knee..just did ATG squats this morning (light weight), followed immediately by hi-rep leg extensions (20), 6 sets total in all. Pain is minimal in the knee, swelling has long been gone, and most importantly I've gotten a tremendous amount of range back..last step is to go to lunges next leg session, then we'll get the weight back up to where it needs to be.

Weight-wise, I'm hovering around 200lbs, diet hasn't been strict but hasn't been way off course either, and despite working around down time, injury time, and sports I feel I'm still holding my own, muscle is solid but not quite as lean as I'd like to be..strength is nowhere near PR level currently.

Supplement-wise, I started the Asteroid Stack last week, and of course Pslin plays an integral part in all my dietary schemes..just threw in Recreate this past w/e. Some other odds and ends (SuperCissusRx of course, Jack3d comes back soon, protein powders and such) will be in the mix as well, and I've been using CMI's Anabolic Signal for a month now for a natty test boost..you could say I'm a sort of tester for this. Not a hugely impactful product, but subtle and I can tell it's doing its thing. Other supps and dietary intake will be covered as we go.

The goal right now is transitional; going from 3600-3900cals daily to 2900-3100cals, shifting the macros, and going to experiment with a lil simple carb ingestion intra and postWO along with my BCAA's (again I'll cover this as we go), Pslin-fronted breakfast for preWO meal, and that'll be the majority of my carbs for the day other than fibrous veggies and a couple slices Ezekiel bread here & there..this is a bit of a new schematic for me, so we'll see how it goes.

The wrap: looking to come back with a vengeance after another injury -- with USPlabs products leading the way! They've never let me down yet. :cheers:

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Rough dietary guideline:

wake, take Pslin+AP, 2 RC, 2 SuperCissus, 1g L-carnitine
15min later, breakfast (macros 75/40/6 C-P-F) + 3 Prime, multivite (Beverly Super Pak), 3g fish oil
60min later, 3 PowerFULL, 4 Anabolic Signal, 7.3g leucine, 22g full-spectrum aminos, 2-3 scoops Jack3d, 1g L-carnitine
45min later, train -- sipping BCAA(21g)+WMS(30g) drink pre & intra
at completion of training, BCAA(10.5g)+dextrose (30g)+WMS (30g)+creatine mono
30min later, postWO meal (was a bagel, piece of fruit and @30g protein; now will be @ 20/50/10 C-P-F in a liquid form shake)
2hrs later, meal #3 (fronted by 2 SC, 1g L-carnitine): 1 can albacore tuna, 1.5 cups broccoli, 2 whole eggs, 3 Prime
early afternoon, 4 Anabolic Signal
30min pre-Meal #4, 2 RC
2.5hrs after meal 3 comes meal #4: 2 scoops ON NitroCore24 (stuff I got sitting around, need to use)
2.5hrs later, meal #5 (fronted by AP): 2 Ezekiel bread, 1 TBS PowerButter, 1 TBS sugar-free preserves, 1 scoop Myofusion
2.5hrs later, meal #6: 8oz chicken breast, big salad w/ olive oil dressing, tomatoes, 3 Prime
(alternative meal here: 8oz 93% lean beef, 2 cups broccoli)
evening, 4 Anabolic Signal
2.5hrs after meal 6 comes meal #7 (fronted by 2 SC, 1g L-carnitine): Monster Milk (2 scoops), 1/2TBS coconut oil, 3g fish oil
1-1.5hrs later, 3 PowerFULL..bed!

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed for another great log by Snag!

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thx, good to have you along bud..you've been waiting patiently! :biglaugh:

picked a helluva time to start this log..if it's not one thing, it's another.
came down with a cold last night, slept horribly, had to breath thru the mouth cuz my nose was stopped shut..on the plus side, knee continues to recoup, no undue pain following the ATG's from yesterday.
feeling a bit better this morning - at least I can breathe! still going to try to work out here this morning I think, it's chest & abs day, my fav. we'll see.

speaking of the training, I'm transitioning on that as well. I'm torn between one basic bodypart/day, 5x weekly (my preferred format) or running a 3-day split over a 2 on/1 off rotation. on the one hand, I prefer the 2 on/1 off route, because on off days I will not be consuming all the simple carbs that surround the workout..I'm a little leery of consuming that for 5 straight days. other hand, the 5-day split is probably my favorite all-time scheme, and the one I've historically seen the most growth on..maybe I'll just do the one bodypart/day over a 3 on/1 off/2 on/1 off rotation instead of a 5 on/2 off scheme, mesh the two..

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Back at it!! The advantages of taking some time off due to overdoing it will be apparent in no time. God had to give you a little injury to slow you down some.... it always seems to work out for the best, ever notice that...

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
are you implying that I have a tendency of overdoing things? :nono:
:ntome: ahahahaaa..yeah, guess you're right. always did like pushing things to the limit. things do have a way of working themselves out tho.
good to have you aboard DW.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
are you implying that I have a tendency of overdoing things? :nono:
:ntome: ahahahaaa..yeah, guess you're right. always did like pushing things to the limit. things do have a way of working themselves out tho.
good to have you aboard DW.
Hey take's one to know one... I can see it in you a mile away :13: It's what makes us excell ... tempered with a little wisdom, the sky's the limit. I know we're getting there. Sometimes the lessons are hard though. I have been very impressed with how I am getting more out of less these days though.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
agreed. more results out of less effort is obviously the ticket. I will attempt to tame my addictive personality in my old age. seriously, I just crave activity!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
agreed. more results out of less effort is obviously the ticket. I will attempt to tame my addictive personality in my old age. seriously, I just crave activity!
Yah I know what you mean... I am less like that now but when I do get down I have a tendancy to push too hard sometimes still. That's how I get injured usually. Now I have no choice if I train too hard, I'm going to break... so I try to find ways to accomplish more with less. I guess that's what wisdom is... spawned in stupidity. The bigger the fug up the harder the lesson!! :knockedout: The more I learn...

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It is interesting hearing this from two veterans and me being the major newbie here. So many times I want to push it to the limit everyday but then again the thought of injury, even at 27, is scary! I could take a major beating in college during years of water polo competition but now the healing process is days/weeks as opposed to overnight like it used to be. My point being, I have really taken to heart a lot of the advice from you two, among others like Casey and MrKleen, only to find that more does not always mean better results... funny how that works! Plus, I like to be able to not walk funny after leg days; keeps the peanut gallery comments to a minimum at work.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is interesting hearing this from two veterans and me being the major newbie here. So many times I want to push it to the limit everyday but then again the thought of injury, even at 27, is scary! I could take a major beating in college during years of water polo competition but now the healing process is days/weeks as opposed to overnight like it used to be. My point being, I have really taken to heart a lot of the advice from you two, among others like Casey and MrKleen, only to find that more does not always mean better results... funny how that works! Plus, I like to be able to not walk funny after leg days; keeps the peanut gallery comments to a minimum at work.
Another things that comes with age is the ability to tollerate a lot of pain, hence you can really crush out some workouts, you get to know where your limits are though. I outtrain most people that are much younger because I can push harder but that's not always a good thing. I have to watch I don't get carried away.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My biggest challenge I face is lately I am really enjoying running for cardio and as I keep increasing the distance [perfect running weather in TX right now!] my legs suffer and are constantly fatigued; especially when doing HST hitting them three times a week. Oh, but I am not complaining, I am seeing more muscle definition in my quads and calves then I ever did before!

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My biggest challenge I face is lately I am really enjoying running for cardio and as I keep increasing the distance [perfect running weather in TX right now!] my legs suffer and are constantly fatigued
are you running for distance, tempo steady-state, low-intensity?

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
are you running for distance, tempo steady-state, low-intensity?
I was doing HIIT scheme but my asthma does not tolerate that very well so now I am doing more of a tempo steady state with some speed work. Distance is typically 2-3 miles. HIIT I know is more effective for fat burning but I find my body likes a higher tempo steady state; and I am DRIPPING sweat after for a good 30-60 minutes after so it is getting the metabolism going. Oh, and the Jack3d/PowerFULL combo beforehand is off the Richter for endurance.

Also want to add that I am focusing on getting my fitness/endurance level up since there will be at least one trip to the mountains for skiing this year and hate being constantly out of breath there and shot by 1 PM each day. This year I plan on being able to ride hard all day long for the duration of my trip there and hence the change is cardio.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was doing HIIT scheme but my asthma does not tolerate that very well so now I am doing more of a tempo steady state with some speed work. Distance is typically 2-3 miles. HIIT I know is more effective for fat burning but I find my body likes a higher tempo steady state; and I am DRIPPING sweat after for a good 30-60 minutes after so it is getting the metabolism going. Oh, and the Jack3d/PowerFULL combo beforehand is off the Richter for endurance.

Also want to add that I am focusing on getting my fitness/endurance level up since there will be at least one trip to the mountains for skiing this year and hate being constantly out of breath there and shot by 1 PM each day. This year I plan on being able to ride hard all day long for the duration of my trip there and hence the change is cardio.
I am not a big fan of running for cardio... I always found it very catabolic and hard on the joints .. especially being a bigger man. If you want mass I think walking, treadmill or my favourite eliptical or cross trainer is the best way. Those new precor cross trainers are fuggin wicked!!

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
carry on dude. :cheers:
sounds like you got it under control.
yeah I'm a HIIT type dude myself, hate distance running with a passion, but different strokes for different folks.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am not a big fan of running for cardio... I always found it very catabolic and hard on the joints .. especially being a bigger man. If you want mass I think walking, treadmill or my favourite eliptical or cross trainer is the best way. Those new precor cross trainers are fuggin wicked!!
Same here... Do you want to look like this?

No.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yikes Casey..dude, keep your portfolio out of my thread! :twak:
:biglaugh:

true dat on the typical long-distance runner figure..but, to be fair, those guys aren't out eating a boatload of protein, frequent meals, or hitting the weights like beasts, either. ;)
but, I think there's no doubt: excessive long-distance running is catabolic to muscle without excessive specific supplementation to prevent such.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yikes Casey..dude, keep your portfolio out of my thread! :twak:
:biglaugh:

true dat on the typical long-distance runner figure..but, to be fair, those guys aren't out eating a boatload of protein, frequent meals, or hitting the weights like beasts, either. ;)
but, I think there's no doubt: excessive long-distance running is catabolic to muscle without excessive specific supplementation to prevent such.
Yah and the problem is that to get into fat burn you'd had to run for at least 20 minutes which is close to 5 k and a decent session would be around 10k, do that a few times a week and your going to lose muscle. I guess intervals would be better, but I still think your sending a message to your body .. you need to be lighter to do this properly. Maybe it's bias...

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have to agree, but getting in 2-3 days a week I doubt will have too much of a negative effect, plus I am not a competing body builder or power lifter like some of you beasts :).

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have to agree, but getting in 2-3 days a week I doubt will have too much of a negative effect, plus I am not a competing body builder or power lifter like some of you beasts :).
Yah goals make a big difference, I have a tendancy to think everybody wants to be big like me. I was watching this women train and she had a very lean mucular upper body and lean lower body. I thought what the hek is she doing? I had to ask ... cuz I had some ideas for improvements ....well turns out she's a rock climber...

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Welcome back to the world of logging Steve. I'm glad you managed to keep playing sports with the family; too bad that ended up being your demise as well.! My roommate almost had the same problem, but lucky for him the MRI showed it was just a bone contusion, best possible outcome.

Good luck leaning out; I'm about to embark on the same goal, although I'm sure I've got more to lose than you. See you on the elliptical ;)

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No I heard he eats spinach and the muscles magically show up...

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Welcome back to the world of logging Steve. I'm glad you managed to keep playing sports with the family; too bad that ended up being your demise as well.! My roommate almost had the same problem, but lucky for him the MRI showed it was just a bone contusion, best possible outcome.

Good luck leaning out; I'm about to embark on the same goal, although I'm sure I've got more to lose than you. See you on the elliptical ;)
hey Steve, good to have you along man..been awhile.
I like that word you used, 'demise'..haha.
well I'm back from my demise, rising from the ashes..oooo, dramatic! :ninja:

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
feeling a bit better this morning, still have sniffles and whatnot, but I'm on the other side of the bug now.
ended up getting my chest session on yesterday, last of the shortened workouts:
4x12 incline BB bench (225)
4x12 decline BB bench (225) ss w/ decline DB flyes x15 (30's)
2x15 DB straight-arm pullovers
2xfailure bodyweight dips
ready to hit the rotation hard now..chest is feeling nice & swole this morning, and the DOMS from my leg session THUR are schweeet! :thumbsup:

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
feeling a bit better this morning, still have sniffles and whatnot, but I'm on the other side of the bug now.
ended up getting my chest session on yesterday, last of the shortened workouts:
4x12 incline BB bench (225)
4x12 decline BB bench (225) ss w/ decline DB flyes x15 (30's)
2x15 DB straight-arm pullovers
2xfailure bodyweight dips
ready to hit the rotation hard now..chest is feeling nice & swole this morning, and the DOMS from my leg session THUR are schweeet! :thumbsup:
I don't know if I had anything or not but I am also able to breath better. It's so frustrating always beeing winded when your trying to kick azz in the gym. This is where fasted training might help as the empty stomach helps me breathe better.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think my arms are the size of that guys legs gentlemen... and there is no way you could get me to look like that! :twak:

Same here... Do you want to look like this?

No.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cardio - particularly below a particular intensity - bad for fat loss; fasted training - particularly with proper supplementation and timing - good for fat loss. Cardio for aesthetics is about as significant for me as a bead of sweat on a mouse's ass.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ahhh, I smell an FTP plug there Mullet.. :thinkerg:

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yo yo SNAG PRIEST whatup!?

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
hey Rob, how ya been man? you always seem to find me don't ya.. :ntome:

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
in my back workout yesterday, started to feel a little insane in the membrane going on..that crazy recovery and bursts of strength that allow you to push thru just when you think you are at the end. now granted, I'm feeling better from the cold going away, I've progressively geared up my intensity/weights during rehab -- but there's something more than that. anybody who has experienced Prime Time knows that feeling I'm talking about..it felt GOOD! :yup:
(Rob, lil yup smiley is dedicated to you dude.)
yesterday was a fast-paced session, rests at 60sec, went something like this..

4x10 Perfect Pull-ups
4x12 bent BB rows (reg grip)
4x12 cable pulldowns D-grip
4x12 seated cable rows (reverse grip)
3x10 weighted decline sit-ups
3x10 weighted lying 'Superman' ab extension

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
decided to have one last semi rehab-ish session for the legs, turned it into a hybrid scheme..
after stretching & warming up, led off with some light BB speed squats, then moved to explosive DB jump squats; followed with light DB lunges (felt great!); 2 sets leg extension ss w/ leg curls (light weight again); 3x8 heavy leg curls; GHR's (bodyweight - hams were fried by this point, ugh) and heavy standing calf raises.
good session, I'm ready to roll. my workout rotation is a lil off right now, but I'll bring it back into order thru the rest of this week. day of rest tomorrow.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lookn jacked in that jogger outfit snagenstein :yup:

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
snagenstein, LOL, nice one. :D
yeah I'm a lil away from that right now, but it'll be back quick! ;)
doing something different this thread too - I have a tendency to go pic crazy in my logs. not this time..gonna keep you guys guessing before I throw up some 'injured before' and 'healed after' shots. :13:

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
in my back workout yesterday, started to feel a little insane in the membrane going on..that crazy recovery and bursts of strength that allow you to push thru just when you think you are at the end. now granted, I'm feeling better from the cold going away, I've progressively geared up my intensity/weights during rehab -- but there's something more than that. anybody who has experienced Prime Time knows that feeling I'm talking about..it felt GOOD! :yup:
Yah I have this real 3rd rep syndrome on Prime where I get stronger on the second and third reps. Normally my strength will decline. It's very sneaky because you don't always feel it coming sometimes it just shows up. You're where the fug did that come from!! Then you raging the rest of way hammering out reps feelin the power, it's pretty special.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ah yes inded. I had been doing 9 Prime daily, but today I increased to an addtl 3 preWO (along w/ PF and Jack3d). like I said, there are some other mitigating factors at play, but this certainly has to be a large part of the equation as to how good/strong I'm feeling.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ah yes inded. I had been doing 9 Prime daily, but today I increased to an addtl 3 preWO (along w/ PF and Jack3d). like I said, there are some other mitigating factors at play, but this certainly has to be a large part of the equation as to how good/strong I'm feeling.
That's about where my dosing is at right now, goes up on Friday!!

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
freaking KILLER shoulder session this morning..dem delts were blown up! I'm grooving on Prime Time.. :hump:
led off with heavy DB presses, then front DB raises, one-arm leaning side DB raises, bent laterals, finished with some heavy-ass DB shrugs..veins were in full force, shoulders were pumped, and I'm feeling great! :wiggle:

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what's a Snag thread without a couple food pics? :p

busted this out last night:
1/2 cup of brown rice
2 cups broccoli/veggie stir fry
6oz mushrooms
1 TBS EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
7oz shrimp
dash of soy sauce/lemon juice, topped w/ cayenne pepper

and this was here a lil bit ago:
4oz 96% lean beef
2 pieces Ezekiel Bread, toasted
1 slice 2% pepperjack cheese
1/2 cup black beans
2 cups broccoli

roughly 500cal meal..the steam coming off my broccoli is pretty cool.

Attachments

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In for more food pics! Good to see a log popping up from you again...good luck man

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
BOLT!!!!! :wavey:
I knew you'd smell the food and come running! :run:
:lol:
how ya been man?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha ya I have actually eaten 6 times already today and am still starving :(

I have been doing good. School has me swamped lately with a ton of work/reading/studying, but in about a month it'll be winter break :cool:

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
always good to have ya along bud. I won't post many pics thruout this log, so I shouldn't be adding to your hunger pangs, no worries ! :D

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
hey man what are your macros right now?

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
not counting my intra/postWO drink, food sources are roughly 210/320/80 C-P-F..this varies, as I like to shift macros somewhat day-to-day (i.e. off-day nutrition is different; I like to have higher carbs days every so often, etc.)..

blasted the arms today, no supersetting, straight sets w/ 60sec rest all the way thru, finished with weighted ab work..close-grip bench, triceps pushdowns w/ V-bar, DB kickbacks, dips, EZ-bar drag curls, DB preachers, concentration curls was order of the day.
tri's are nice and swole, good to see my veins coming back into play everywhere..something about that just makes a guy feel good. :13: