HELP : Lower chest workout !!

mdtech123

Awards
I need some good ideas on how to work my lower chest to get that cup shape that every man strives for. I'm 5'9 200 lbs my shoulders are wide, ball-like and vascular (couldnt think of a good way to describe that) but it makes my chest look small and underdeveloped. Its good on top but has no shape in the lower portion. HELP!!

saylee

saylee

Awards
i feel you on that one....well, in that situation if you do more decline benching...it would help, because i was like that too but ive been doing declines and it has shaped up....

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, generally exercises like decline presses, dips, and decline flyes or cable flyes tend to recruit more muscle fibers from the lower areas of the chest.

So if you have good overall chest development, but have weak points, such as the lower pectorals for instance, it's good to attack those weak points with more specific exercises. People who are still looking for overall chest development, like me, should concentrate more on building overall chest mass, rather than attacking weak points earlier than needed. And remember that no one chest exercise works in complete isolation, as in, if you're doing decline presses to really hit your lower pectorals, you're still going to be working other parts of the chest as well, it's just that some exercises tend to stimulate certain parts of the muscles more so than others due to how the muscle contracts under certain circumstances.

Hope that helps you in some way! Good luck bro!

mdtech123

Awards
Thanx guys I've tried those things but apparantly not enough. I think i'll do my normal routines every week and then like 3 or 4 days later get in a second chest workout concentrating on decline..

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Thanx guys I've tried those things but apparantly not enough. I think i'll do my normal routines every week and then like 3 or 4 days later get in a second chest workout concentrating on decline..
You could also implement the priority principle, which is essentially targeting a weak or lagging area. You can do this by scheduling a specific body part to be trained immediately after a rest day, when you are most rested as to devote a maximum amount of energy, effort, and concentration and training a weaker body part at the beginning of a workout, rather than later, once you're already somewhat fatigued.

Increasing workout intensity is also a good way to help develop lagging muscle groups. We should all strive to bring as much intensity to the table every time we workout, but there are specific training principles you can implement. Engaging in various intensity techniques such as supersets, pre-exhaustion, forced negatives, and partial reps can be useful when you really need to target a specific area.

mdtech123

Awards
Thanks... I'll post back in a few months with an update..

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I need some good ideas on how to work my lower chest to get that cup shape that every man strives for.
Cup shape? I dont believe in doing decline bench, i feel like flat bench works that area sufficiently, and flys do a good job too. If you do too much decline you end up with droopy tits when you get older.

Attachments

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Decline bench = worthless

Weighted dips - best thing you can do (FTW)

saylee

saylee

Awards
yea i believe that regular flat bench and weighted dips work also....but it is true that later on when your older, your lower pecs will become saggy....but hey, what muscle or parts of our body wont get saggy when were old..??

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
what muscle or parts of our body wont get saggy when were old..??

If you keep yourself in shape, none

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfWAjJinySI"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Trapark666

Trapark666

Awards
Go punch you parents for the crappy genetics. The difference between doing flat benches and decline benches to isolate the chest muscle and have a noticable change take place is minimal. Just like the round shape of someone's bicep compared to another who has a peak.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
first of all you said your shoulders over power your chest, make sure you train chest before shoulders and cut back on shoulder presses. as far as chest goes i 'warm up' on decline. 2 sets sometimes 3...15-20 reps and fairly heavy for the rep range. then i go straight to incline DBs of 4 sets pyramid up 8-12 rep range, i usually fell soreness setting in half way through inclines...as far as flat couldn't tell you, i don't do them! after presses i do flys flys and more flys, and maybe end with dips.

as pointed out before, your chest is one muscle (not a upper and lower) that you can isolate. you need to focus on the movements and contractions. never lockout, this will keep constent tension on the pecs and less emphasis on the tri's. consider warming up with flat flys if all else fails and i move through this workout pretty fast too...used to take my time but was going nowhere, had to shock the muscle into some new growth!

mdtech123

Awards
No flat?? havent heard that before, but i guess if u do everything else right ie: incline & decline then ur hitting the muscle sufficiently. By the way i took some of yesterdays advice and dipp, dip dipped until i could no longer raise my water bottle to my mouth, and let me tell ya i havent had pumps, tightness or next day sorness from my chest like that in a long time. I think i might be on the right track!!!

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
No flat?? havent heard that before
i know it sounds strange but we all preech everyone is different! your body may require variety for chest development where others grow from the god damn "perfect pushup" alone! flys are key key for me...they give the pec its full range of motion with constent stress, where the press uses tri's and delts. good luck!

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Decline bench = worthless

Weighted dips - best thing you can do (FTW)

Sums it up. There is a kid at the gym that weights about 180 that straps 3 plates on for his dips...

Needless to say his pecs are probably the size of my head.

mdtech123

Awards
I've tried ever excersize known to man! Dips, Flyes, incline decline, flat, dumbells, barbells, machines, they're hard as a rock on top but no hape on the bottom, guess i'll just keep pushin harder and changing up excersizes.

Genetic79

Genetic79

Awards
Weighed Dips super setted with Decline flyes will work wonders. I got my chest genetically, it was there before I even started. But I trained with a friend of mine and we used this program for 4 years and his chest got damn big.